Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless Apple CarPlay (Dongle)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 BMW 440xi
Question Wireless Apple CarPlay (Dongle)

Greetings,

Just a shot in the dark here, but does anyone use this dongle - CARPLAY2AIR? (or a device similar to it). Where it turns the factory installed Apple CarPlay in your Mercedes-Benz (2016-2019) into a wireless solution.

https://carplay2air.com

And if so, if you could please assist with the following two questions:
  1. Does it reliably connect every single time? Or do you find yourself having to frequently adjust the settings.
  2. Does your phone automatically & quickly connect once you start your vehicle?
Thanks so much for the insight, I really want to place an order on a 2020 C43 AMG Coupe, but not having wireless CarPlay is a dealbreaker.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CarPlay works through the Bluetooth.
The following users liked this post:
Harry153 (02-26-2020)
Old 11-03-2019, 12:13 PM

2018 BMW 440xi
Originally Posted by jim04clk
CarPlay works through the Bluetooth.
I believe it connects via bluetooth, but the data is sent through wifi.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
carplay bandwidth requires wifi. bluetooth alone can not handle all the info needed.

this module looks interesting. the only video i could find shows it lagging the input command from the phone. has anyone got this?
BBNYC (11-06-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 02:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E300
I bought it and been using it for almost a week now, I have E300 2018, iPhone 11 Pro on iOS 13.3. Most of my CarPlay usage is Google Maps for traffic, Spotify, Siri reading my Calendar and phone calls.

Note that I'm not affiliated with CarPlay2Air, I'm just simply sharing my experience.

Here are my thoughts and feedback:
1- Device connects via bluetooth and WiFi. The first setup, you will need to pair Bluetooth device and select the WiFi network, just like pairing any bluetooth device and like choosing any WiFi network. After that, it happens automatically. Once the car shows that the device is on and connected as CarPlay, it will take around 20 seconds for your iPhone to connect and start using CarPlay. But it connects automatically every time.
2- The Device itself has a USB port, so you still can connect your device through it to charge.
3- Once connected is works as if you're connected via cable, so you there is nothing changed in terms of user experience.
4- audit lag while playing videos like Youtube or Netflix. This issue that I will state now is not new and I personally don't think it's caused by CarPlay2Air as the lag happens when connected via Bluetooth. Only via cable where the audio is perfectly sync with the video. I think it's an issue of iPhone+Mercedes Bluetooth Device, but I've reported the issue to developers and let's see if they can fix it.
5- Phone calls is great I didn't notice any difference, though the sound quality is always greater when connected via cable.
6- While listening to Spotify, I noticed a millisecond glitch in audio when switching apps, it rarely happens but I have to say that this also happens when I connect the iPhone via bluetooth too.
7- While I was waiting for the order to arrive, the developer kept emailing the user list about some issues people were facing with the device and they kept pushing firmware updates in the past few weeks (2 updates). It seems that some people were not able to connect the device or having issues using it. But for me I didn't face any problems yet.
8- The first firmware that was installed on the device had almost no GUI just a blank screen with a firmware version in the corner. The latest update that I've installed have a better GUI which you can see in the photos I've attached.

Overall, I'm happy with the device, I didn't get any major issues in this week, but I'll update this post if I think there is more to add.

My baby

how I put it in my car

My car identifying as CarPlay2Air as a CarPlay device

The first screen on CarPlay2Air

CarPlay2Air shows you how to connect

CarPlay2Air trying to find my iPhone

After iPhone connected to CarPlay2Air

Last edited by Boiling Ice; 12-13-2019 at 03:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boiling Ice:
SaffsDad (02-10-2020), Star4life (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Boiling Ice
I bought it and been using it for almost a week now, I have E300 2018, iPhone 11 Pro on iOS 13.3. Most of my CarPlay usage is Google Maps for traffic, Spotify, Siri reading my Calendar and phone calls.

Note that I'm not affiliated with CarPlay2Air, I'm just simply sharing my experience.

1- Device connects via bluetooth and WiFi. The first setup, you will need to pair Bluetooth device and select the WiFi network, just like pairing any bluetooth device and like choosing any WiFi network. After that, it happens automatically. Once the car shows that the device is on and connected as CarPlay, it will take around 20 seconds for your iPhone to connect and start using CarPlay. But it connects automatically every time.
2- The Device itself has a USB port, so you still can connect your device through it to charge.
3- Once connected is works as if you're connected via cable, so you there is nothing changed in terms of user experience.
4- audit lag while playing videos like Youtube or Netflix. This issue that I will state now is not new and I personally don't think it's caused by CarPlay2Air as the lag happens when connected via Bluetooth. Only via cable where the audio is perfectly sync with the video. I think it's an issue of iPhone+Mercedes Bluetooth Device, but I've reported the issue to developers and let's see if they can fix it.
5- Phone calls is great I didn't notice any difference, though the sound quality is always greater when connected via cable.
6- While listening to Spotify, I noticed a millisecond glitch in audio when switching apps, it rarely happens but I have to say that this also happens when I connect the iPhone via bluetooth too.
7- While I was waiting for the order to arrive, the developer kept emailing the user list about some issues people were facing with the device and they kept pushing firmware updates in the past few weeks (2 updates). It seems that some people were not able to connect the device or having issues using it. But for me I didn't face any problems yet.
8- The first firmware that was installed on the device had almost no GUI just a blank screen with a firmware version in the corner. The latest update that I've installed have a better GUI which you can see in the photos I've attached.

Overall, I'm happy with the device, I didn't get any major issues in this week, but I'll update this post if I think there is more to add.

My baby

how I put it in my car

thanks for the review. I am on the fence about this item. one of these days ill try it once they update it a bit more. with the oem inductive wireless charger, its a killer setup.
Boiling Ice (12-14-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 02:05 PM

2018 BMW 440xi
Originally Posted by Boiling Ice

My baby

how I put it in my car

What a phenomenal review! Thanks so much! Does the 20 second connection time annoy you at all? It's instantaneous with BMW.
Boiling Ice (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 01:31 AM

E300
It doesn't bother me at all and it is expected since we're adding a device in between the car and the phone. how fast it will connect depends on when the iPhone finds the WiFi and connect to it.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:40 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
If you have to have the phone connected to a WiFi (the car or an adhoc network between the phone and the adapter), how does the phone get internet for maps or streaming?
Old 12-16-2019, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by sackboydad
If you have to have the phone connected to a WiFi (the car or an adhoc network between the phone and the adapter), how does the phone get internet for maps or streaming?
The wifi connection is just for the phone to drive the screen. The phone's connectivity remains through the mobile network.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
I have this device and as far as I've read and experienced in my own use, the device-to-dongle connection is Bluetooth. Not aware of any WiFi capability of this device, and if that were the case the phone's default route to the internet would be WiFi, so it doesn't really make sense to me.

For anyone interested in this device... it's OK. Pairing with the dongle upon entering the car has been a bit dodgy for me, but when connected it's fairly stable, with a couple of caveats:

* If you have the digital instrument cluster, song information is not displayed, it simply says "Apple CarPlay"
* Using the steering wheel control to activate Siri for voice control is delayed by a half-second to 1 second compared to wired connection
* Skipping forward or backward through album or playlist is also less responsive and more delayed than wired connection

Last edited by MBB_CA72; 12-17-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by synthfriend
I have this device and as far as I've read and experienced in my own use, the device-to-dongle connection is Bluetooth. Not aware of any WiFi capability of this device, and if that were the case the phone's default route to the internet would be WiFi, so it doesn't really make sense to me.

For anyone interested in this device... it's OK. Pairing with the dongle upon entering the car has been a bit dodgy for me, but when connected it's fairly stable, with a couple of caveats:

* If you have the digital instrument cluster, song information is not displayed, it simply says "Apple CarPlay"
* Using the steering wheel control to activate Siri for voice control is delayed by a half-second to 1 second compared to wired connection
* Skipping forward or backward through album or playlist is also less responsive and more delayed than wired connection
BlueTooth doesn't have nearly enough bandwidth to drive a screen. That's why the default for CarPlay is wired. The dongle MUST open a wifi connection to stream the pixels to COMAND. That is via a special driver that has nothing to do with the phone's connection to external networks, which continues to be via the cell mobile infrastructure.

If BlueTooth could support CarPlay, everyone would do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by whoover:
Kraken29 (07-14-2022), SaffsDad (02-10-2020)
Old 12-18-2019, 12:08 AM

C63
"If BlueTooth could support CarPlay, everyone would do it."

That's the whole point of this dongle product. It uses the wired connection to proxy CarPlay. The data it needs is transmitted via Bluetooth from your device.

I can assure you my phone is using no WiFi connection when I am commuting and using this device.

My phone has never had a connection to a corresponding 'AutoKit' WiFi network and I have auto-join hotspot disabled and ask to join networks enabled.

This is very intriguing to me if it's somehow circumventing these controls.

Last edited by MBB_CA72; 12-18-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan

That's the whole point of this dongle product. It uses the wired connection to proxy CarPlay. The data it needs is transmitted via Bluetooth from your device.

I can assure you my phone is using no WiFi connection when I am commuting and using this device.

My phone has never had a connection to a corresponding 'AutoKit' WiFi network and I have auto-join hotspot disabled and ask to join networks enabled.

The dongle has a private wifi connection with your phone. That's how the phone controls the screen. Wifi can be used for multiple channels at the same time. This channel opened between the phone and dongle has nothing to do with a hotspot. If you don't wish to believe this, we'll have to agree to disagree.

The following 2 users liked this post by whoover:
Kraken29 (07-14-2022), SaffsDad (02-10-2020)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan

If you're interested, here's a tech presentation on CarPlay implementation. The BlueTooth+wifi alternative to wired CarPlay is clearly laid out. BlueTooth is only good for 3 Mb, while the wifi connection CarPlay uses is good for several hundred times that.
https://devstreaming-cdn.apple.com/v...art_1.pdf?dl=1
SaffsDad (03-15-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 09:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 S63 Cab
I ordered this carplay2air dongle a few days ago and just got notification that shipments are delayed due to coronavirus. Looking forward to trying it out. Anyone have any updates on how it's working and if new firmware smooth out functionality with MB's?
Old 02-07-2020, 12:59 AM

E300
The latest update is really good, faster connection (within 7 seconds the iPhone connects). Audit glitches got better but still happens. They fixed an issue of music art displaying on car dashboard, it used to glitch and don't show what's playing.

One big issue is when asking Siri to call someone, the audit system in the car shuts down completely. no audit in the car at all, no radio, no carplay sound, nothing. the only way to get the audio is to turn off the car, wait for a few minutes then turn back on.

You can ask siri for any other stuff, like to play music, read the calendar, it will work as expected. but only asking to call is what causes an issue.
SaffsDad (03-15-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 c43 amg
Need something like this for android auto!
Old 02-15-2020, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 E53 AMG
I just got my carplay2air unit today, but I can't get it to connect. It finds the bluetooth connection, but am I supposed to connect to some wifi network too? It connects to the bluetooth network and eventually after 20-30 seconds it disconnects randomly. Am I doing something wrong?

Do I need to connect to some Wifi network too?
Old 02-17-2020, 12:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by lozersk8er
Need something like this for android auto!
I purchased this and use it. It didn't come with instructions at all. The only instructions are from the FAQ section of the website, where it basically says like "question, I'm a dumbass and how do I use this? answer: its easy, plug it in!"

But yeah, I believe I received a used unit. It had a previous car's info on it (Volkswagon), so it never said Mercedes like its supposed to. It also had their iphone info already stored, so it kept saying "iphoneA" not found. I thought it was my iphone that it wasn't finding. After some discussion with their "24/7" tech support, which is just email support that writes back in 48 hours, I figured out that I need to ignore the currently set up stuff and reconfigure (and ignore the fact that it says Volkswagon). After resetting it, I got it to recognize my car as a Mercedes, but I still have the previous guy's IphoneA saved on there. I told their "24/7" support about the fact that I'm highly suspicious I got a used unit, and all they said was they would look into it. I've not heard back from them, but I think it's pretty shady to sell used or refurbished goods as new. Especially when the customer calls you out on it by having the previous owner's profile still stored on it.

As for the functionality, its ok. It does wirelessly connect your iphone to the car, but there is an additional load screen for carplay which takes about 10-15 seconds. The time isn't the issue, its that the load screen its like cheap junk, so anyone sitting next to you is would be like "oh cool, is your infotainment booting up windows 95?" If they could just replace that load screen with a graphic reminiscent of 2020 technology, it would solve most of the problem.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:35 PM

E300
yes it requires to connect the device WiFi all the time...
Old 02-21-2020, 02:45 PM

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
CL
Just got this for a 2020 G class.

Best item ever.

CarPlay is useless if I have to physically connect it into my glovebox each time I enter the car.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:16 AM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
TBD
Originally Posted by JonWu
I purchased this and use it. It didn't come with instructions at all. The only instructions are from the FAQ section of the website, where it basically says like "question, I'm a dumbass and how do I use this? answer: its easy, plug it in!"

But yeah, I believe I received a used unit. It had a previous car's info on it (Volkswagon), so it never said Mercedes like its supposed to. It also had their iphone info already stored, so it kept saying "iphoneA" not found. I thought it was my iphone that it wasn't finding. After some discussion with their "24/7" tech support, which is just email support that writes back in 48 hours, I figured out that I need to ignore the currently set up stuff and reconfigure (and ignore the fact that it says Volkswagon). After resetting it, I got it to recognize my car as a Mercedes, but I still have the previous guy's IphoneA saved on there. I told their "24/7" support about the fact that I'm highly suspicious I got a used unit, and all they said was they would look into it. I've not heard back from them, but I think it's pretty shady to sell used or refurbished goods as new. Especially when the customer calls you out on it by having the previous owner's profile still stored on it.

As for the functionality, its ok. It does wirelessly connect your iphone to the car, but there is an additional load screen for carplay which takes about 10-15 seconds. The time isn't the issue, its that the load screen its like cheap junk, so anyone sitting next to you is would be like "oh cool, is your infotainment booting up windows 95?" If they could just replace that load screen with a graphic reminiscent of 2020 technology, it would solve most of the problem.
for what it’s worth, I have the same Volkswagen thing with mine. Really odd.

i don’t use mine at all due to the audio lag.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:25 PM

GLC 300 2020, A250 2019
USB-A to USB-C adapter ?

Great thread !
I am interested by the product.

Did someone use a USB-A to USB-C adapter to plug in the CarPlay2air dongle ? For example, for the 2020 G class?

Thanks !!

Originally Posted by CL5504Matic
Just got this for a 2020 G class.

Best item ever.

CarPlay is useless if I have to physically connect it into my glovebox each time I enter the car.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:36 AM

2020 A200 AMG Limousine
Originally Posted by Xuan Vien Do
Great thread !
I am interested by the product.

Did someone use a USB-A to USB-C adapter to plug in the CarPlay2air dongle ? For example, for the 2020 G class?

Thanks !!
That's exactly what I'd like to know, will this work on my 2020 A200 (CaPlay Factory installed) with a USB-A to USB-C converter (since all slots are usb-c in my car)
Having the new MBUX infotainment system might also play a role right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wireless Apple CarPlay (Dongle)