How do I get my 2019 C43 to start off in 2nd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
How do I get my 2019 C43 to start off in 2nd

Okay, how do I get my 2019 C43 to start in 2nd gear. Can it be programmed by MB to do so, or is there an aftermarket solution?

Right now I am doing it manually with the paddles, but I’d like to get it to do so automatically.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:17 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by TModelle
Okay, how do I get my 2019 C43 to start in 2nd gear. Can it be programmed by MB to do so, or is there an aftermarket solution?

Right now I am doing it manually with the paddles, but I’d like to get it to do so automatically.
When you use the paddles, you might be selecting a higher gear but the transmission being automatic is not guaranteed to be in that gear if the gear is too high for the given speed. The second gear might work in theory, but end of the day it's still an automatic transmission.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
Why are the paddles not mounted to the column in this car? They're impossible to use around turns because you can't find them - it's annoying
Old 11-10-2019, 01:06 PM

2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by AZFTW
Why are the paddles not mounted to the column in this car? They're impossible to use around turns because you can't find them - it's annoying
The paddles are commonly mounted on the wheel and very rarely on the column, since it allows you to keep both hands on the steering wheel in the same position (10 and 2 o clock) and continue to operate the paddles.

However, as you described you cannot easily operate it in the middle of a larger turn. For racing, you change gears before the corners and only after your car is straight after you cross the apex. If you practice this you will never have to operate the paddles during the turn.

For street driving, you could practice the same too but is harder especially when in very low gears (like first or second) and you might need to go up a gear or two before you make the turn depending on the length of the turn to avoid having the need to use the paddles during the turn.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Tuxdude
The paddles are commonly mounted on the wheel and very rarely on the column, since it allows you to keep both hands on the steering wheel in the same position (10 and 2 o clock) and continue to operate the paddles.

The 1970's are over. 9 and 3 please!
Old 11-10-2019, 01:26 PM

2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by brakingbad
The 1970's are over. 9 and 3 please!
You're right, I meant 9 and 3. 10 and 2 is not recommended anymore.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Tuxdude

However, as you described you cannot easily operate it in the middle of a larger turn. For racing, you change gears before the corners and only after your car is straight after you cross the apex. If you practice this you will never have to operate the paddles during the turn.

For street driving, you could practice the same too but is harder especially when in very low gears (like first or second) and you might need to go up a gear or two before you make the turn depending on the length of the turn to avoid having the need to use the paddles during the turn.
Interesting - that makes complete sense. It's most noticeable for me when I'm trying to make a right at low speeds (as you said) I will try to improve my driving
Old 11-10-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Paddles should only be mounted on steering wheel if you have a high low steering ratio. Our cars should definitely have them mounted onto the column...

Last edited by jonathan358; 11-10-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,563 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by jonathan358
Paddles should only be mounted on steering wheel if you have a high steering ratio. Our cars should definitely have them mounted onto the column...
I've never heard that, but thinking about it I would argue the opposite is the case. With a high steering ratio you are more likely to have to take your hands off the steering wheel and cross over, so if you wanna shift it would be beneficial if the paddles are on the column so you know instantly where the upshift and downshift paddles are. However, with a low steering ratio like our cars have you can leave your hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock position for most turns and then the paddles are always where your hands are. Right hand for upshift, left hand for downshift. I do a lot of canyon carving, so lots of twisty roads and having the paddles always at the 9 and 3 o'clock position where my hands are is overall the best solution. I can shift without every moving my hands.

It's important to have proper seating position. With a proper seating position you should be able to turn the steering wheel more than 180 degrees w/o having your hands leave the 9 and 3 o'clock position. If you find you can't do that then you are not in full control of the car and you need to adjust your seating position. Your arms should never be fully stretched when making a turn.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-10-2019 at 06:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
jonathan358 (11-10-2019), olemp (11-15-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
I've never heard that, but thinking about it I would argue the opposite is the case. With a high steering ratio you are more likely to have to take your hands off the steering wheel and cross over, so if you wanna shift it would be beneficial if the paddles are on the column so you know instantly where the upshift and downshift paddles are. However, with a low steering ratio like our cars have you can leave your hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock position for most turns and then the paddles are always where your hands are. Right hand for upshift, left hand for downshift. I do a lot of canyon carving, so lots of twisty roads and having the paddles always at the 9 and 3 o'clock position where my hands are is overall the best solution. I can shift without every moving my hands.

It's important to have proper seating position. With a proper seating position you should be able to turn the steering wheel more than 180 degrees w/o having your hands leave the 9 and 3 o'clock position. If you find you can't do that then you are not in full control of the car and you need to adjust your seating position. Your arms should never be fully stretched when making a turn.
My mistake, I meant low steering ratio. Our car has a moderate ratio but is not quite low enough to prevent crossover like in F1.

But you are absolutely right!
Old 11-10-2019, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
My mistake, I meant low steering ratio. Our car has a moderate ratio but is not quite low enough to prevent crossover like in F1.

But you are absolutely right!
What does all this have to do with starting off in 2nd gear? You guys have really gone off topic.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
What does all this have to do with starting off in 2nd gear? You guys have really gone off topic.
Absolutely nothing, classic thread hijack. I was going to suggest earlier to try the Slippery mode. I thought if the engine is in Reduced mode it will start in 2nd gear, however, at least in my 2019 C63S that doesn't appear to be the case. It always starts in 1st. I know AMG made this change deliberately. The 7G used to start in 2nd gear in Comfort mode, and it was disliked by many including myself. For some reason I thought they only made the change in the 2019 C63S with the 9G MCT, but sounds like the 2019 C43 got the same change. I'm afraid, but I believe you are out of luck.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Absolutely nothing, classic thread hijack. I was going to suggest earlier to try the Slippery mode. I thought if the engine is in Reduced mode it will start in 2nd gear, however, at least in my 2019 C63S that doesn't appear to be the case. It always starts in 1st. I know AMG made this change deliberately. The 7G used to start in 2nd gear in Comfort mode, and it was disliked by many including myself. For some reason I thought they only made the change in the 2019 C63S with the 9G MCT, but sounds like the 2019 C43 got the same change. I'm afraid, but I believe you are out of luck.
The 9G in the 2018 C43 starts in 2nd. So that makes me wonder even more why they made the change deliberately for the 2019 C43.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
The 9G in the 2018 C43 starts in 2nd. So that makes me wonder even more why they made the change deliberately for the 2019 C43.
To underscore the sporty nature of an AMG. I believe all AMGs always start in 1st gear now. This is how AMG describes the change in their literature.

In all modes, moving off occurs in first gear in order to always guarantee a dynamic driving experience.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
To underscore the sporty nature of an AMG. I believe all AMGs always start in 1st gear now. This is how AMG describes the change in their literature.
That’s unfortunate.

Anyway, please share the source of this info.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
That’s unfortunate.

Anyway, please share the source of this info.

Thanks.
I can't find a press article for the C43 at the moment, but this sentence is found in several recent press releases. Here's the one for the GLC 43. It has the same drivetrain as the C43.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/veh...odels.amp.html

AMG SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9G transmission.

The GLC 43 4MATIC features the tried and tested AMG SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9-speed automatic transmission (TCT = Torque-Clutch Transmission), which is specifically configured to deliver a dynamic driving experience. It is optimally tuned to the engine and promises the agile pulling away that is so typical of AMG, along with speedy gearshift changes – either automatic, or manual via the steering wheel shift paddles. The model-specific software application means that very short shift times can be achieved.

The multiple downshift function allows more spontaneous bursts of speed, while the double-declutching function in the “Sport” and “Sport+” drive programmes makes for an even more emotive driving experience. Defined ignition adjustments also provide faster gear shifts in the other modes. In all modes moving off occurs in first gear in order to always guarantee a dynamic driving experience.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-10-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:45 PM

Wait the 2019 starts in first even in comfort mode?

If so, that is terrible considering how short and sensitive first gear is. Glad I picked up the PFL...

Also the paddle shifter discussion came up because you can upshift while stopped but obviously that is not a permanent solution.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS

If so, that is terrible considering how short and sensitive first gear is. Glad I picked up the PFL...

Also the paddle shifter discussion came up because you can upshift while stopped but obviously that is not a permanent solution.
Well, an AMG, even the C43 is meant to be sporty and dynamic. Comfort mode in these cars is best described as the least sporty mode, or comfortably sporty. They've re-tuned the suspension for the FL so that it at least no longer beats you up, but to be clear, Comfort mode is no longer the tamest mode. I would suggest to give the new Slippery mode a try or setup Individual mode with the engine in Reduced mode. While it still starts in 1st gear, it tames the engine mapping and throttle sensitivity. Primarily intended to move off on slippery roads, but could certainly also be used on dry roads if a tamer car is desired. BTW, I* with engine in Reduced mode is also the only way now to enable Glide mode. AMGs are distinctively sporty even in Comfort mode, at least as of 2019. That's been an eye opener to me coming from Audi Sport, where Comfort mode makes the car a slug and outside of long distance highway cruising is to be avoided. Even the normal mode (called Auto) in my previous RS5 was significantly tamer than my C63S in Comfort mode. I actually do like how Comfort mode in this car is still a sporty and dynamic setup. Comfort mode offers enough rest comfort, but it doesn't let you forget that you are still driving a sporty car. The C43 is tamer than the C63 of course, but still if you drive an AMG, don't expect it to be a C300 in Comfort mode.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-10-2019 at 10:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
Baldur! (11-11-2019), jonathan358 (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190

You cannot upshift while stopped.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Well, an AMG, even the C43 is meant to be sporty and dynamic. Comfort mode in these cars is best described as the least sporty mode, or comfortably sporty. They've re-tuned the suspension for the FL so that it at least no longer beats you up, but to be clear, Comfort mode is no longer the tamest mode. I would suggest to give the new Slippery mode a try or setup Individual mode with the engine in Reduced mode. While it still starts in 1st gear, it tames the engine mapping and throttle sensitivity. Primarily intended to move off on slippery roads, but could certainly also be used on dry roads if a tamer car is desired. BTW, I* with engine in Reduced mode is also the only way now to enable Glide mode. AMGs are distinctively sporty even in Comfort mode, at least as of 2019. That's been an eye opener to me coming from Audi Sport, where Comfort mode makes the car a slug and outside of long distance highway cruising is to be avoided. Even the normal mode (called Auto) in my previous RS5 was significantly tamer than my C63S in Comfort mode. I actually do like how Comfort mode in this car is still a sporty and dynamic setup. Comfort mode offers enough rest comfort, but it doesn't let you forget that you are still driving a sporty car. The C43 is tamer than the C63 of course, but still if you drive an AMG, don't expect it to be a C300 in Comfort mode.
The 2019 C43 Comfort mode is quite terrible, you really have to give it a lot of pedal to drop a gear, and it tries its keeps the rpm below 1500rpm when cruising. It's like there is a rubber band connecting the pedal to the car. Comfort is very un-sporty in nature. So starting in first is totally opposing the nature of Comfort mode.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Drove the RS5 Sportback over the weekend. Very well sorted car. Nice and comfortable, and sporty when needed, very well tuned throttle. Good manners in all conditions. Best of all, as with all Audi S and RS cars, it has an automatic drive mode - so you don't have to select Comfort or Sport, etc. it does it automatically. Made it glaringly obvious how bad the 2019 C43 is - it can't do Comfort well, nor Sport well!
Old 11-11-2019, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
The 2019 C43 Comfort mode is quite terrible, you really have to give it a lot of pedal to drop a gear, and it tries its keeps the rpm below 1500rpm when cruising. It's like there is a rubber band connecting the pedal to the car. Comfort is very un-sporty in nature. So starting in first is totally opposing the nature of Comfort mode.
Drove the RS5 Sportback over the weekend. Very well sorted car. Nice and comfortable, and sporty when needed, very well tuned throttle. Good manners in all conditions. Best of all, as with all Audi S and RS cars, it has an automatic drive mode - so you don't have to select Comfort or Sport, etc. it does it automatically. Made it glaringly obvious how bad the 2019 C43 is - it can't do Comfort well, nor Sport well!
It's a matter of perspective. I owned the previous generation RS5 with the naturally aspirated high revving 4.2 V8 and I'm now in a C63S, because the current RS5 was a complete let down to me as far as an RS model is concerned. The RS5 is supposed to compete with the C63, not the C43, but it feels and drives more like an S5 Plus, not really what one expects from an RS. If you spend some time on the Audi forums, you'll notice lots of complaints about laggy throttle and transmission, particularly with the S4/S5. You should drive an S4/S5 and compare it to the C43. It does sound like you'd be happier with an RS5, but in that case you should compare it to the C63/S. Audi's Auto mode is a bit of a misnomer and leads to confusion. It doesn't actually automatically select between Sport and Comfort. It rather balances Sport and Comfort. Just like the modes in the C43 and C63 do. The car adapts to how you drive in each mode. Comfort is supposed to be relaxed if you drive relaxed, but wakes up if you give it the beans. At least that's how it is in the C63. I have only driven a C43 in S+ on the track, but part of it was slowly pulling out of the pit lane, and at the end coming to a casual stop again in the pit lane. Can't comment on how it drives in Comfort, but it drove very well in S+. More exciting than an S4/S5 for sure and I'd argue more exciting than even the new RS5.

I've said this in other threads, one needs to drive these cars for a bit in the proper mode for the given situation, so the transmission etc. learns one's driving style in each mode. I have a little over 9000 miles on my C63S now and it drives completely different than it did on the day I took delivery. You can say the car and I are in tune now.

Audis are in general softer than both AMGs and M cars, but they have gotten too soft with the current generations as far as I'm concerned. They are getting watered down too much for my taste, hence my switch to AMG.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-11-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
It's a matter of perspective. I owned the previous generation RS5 with the naturally aspirated high revving 4.2 V8 and I'm now in a C63S, because the current RS5 was a complete let down to me as far as an RS model is concerned. The RS5 is supposed to compete with the C63, not the C43, but it feels and drives more like an S5 Plus, not really what one expects from an RS. If you spend some time on the Audi forums, you'll notice lots of complaints about laggy throttle and transmission, particularly with the S4/S5. You should drive an S4/S5 and compare it to the C43. It does sound like you'd be happier with an RS5, but in that case you should compare it to the C63/S. Audi's Auto mode is a bit of a misnomer and leads to confusion. It doesn't actually automatically select between Sport and Comfort. It rather balances Sport and Comfort. Just like the modes in the C43 and C63 do. The car adapts to how you drive in each mode. Comfort is supposed to be relaxed if you drive relaxed, but wakes up if you give it the beans. At least that's how it is in the C63. I have only driven a C43 in S+ on the track, but part of it was slowly pulling out of the pit lane, and at the end coming to a casual stop again in the pit lane. Can't comment on how it drives in Comfort, but it drove very well in S+. More exciting than an S4/S5 for sure and I'd argue more exciting than even the new RS5.

I've said this in other threads, one needs to drive these cars for a bit in the proper mode for the given situation, so the transmission etc. learns one's driving style in each mode. I have a little over 9000 miles on my C63S now and it drives completely different than it did on the day I took delivery. You can say the car and I are in tune now.

Audis are in general softer than both AMGs and M cars, but they have gotten too soft with the current generations as far as I'm concerned. They are getting watered down too much for my taste, hence my switch to AMG.
I have an S5 Sportback and have had it for 9 years. The Auto drive mode is very good, it will select Sport and Comfort when necessary so you don't have to fiddle with switches. The throttle response and mapping is very good compared to the C43. The Comfort mode in the C43 does not adapt anywhere close to Sport mode and it never will, it is just too far away from Sport parameters. Comfort mode is basically like Eco mode in the regular non-AMG Mercedes. The C43 is overall extremely soft compared to the S5 V6T, and needs to be driven in Sport+ suspension where it is still softer than the S5 in Comfort. I've driven my S5 Sportback for more than 100,000 miles and I find that it is sportier and more sorted than the C43 in every way, the only thing the C43 does better is accelerate in a straight line cos it has more horsepower.

Last edited by TModelle; 11-11-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I have an S5 Sportback and have had it for 9 years. The Auto drive mode is very good, it will select Sport and Comfort when necessary so you don't have to fiddle with switches. The throttle response and mapping is very good compared to the C43. The Comfort mode in the C43 does not adapt anywhere close to Sport mode and it never will, it is just too far away from Sport parameters. Comfort mode is basically like Eco mode in the regular non-AMG Mercedes. The C43 is overall extremely soft compared to the S5 V6T, and needs to be driven in Sport+ suspension where it is still softer than the S5 in Comfort.
Yep you have an S5 from the last great generation. Same generation my RS5 was from. Things have changed. You might wanna drive a 2019 S5 to see where Audi's head is these days. BTW in Europe the S models now have diesel engines. The supercharged V6 was a great engine and very responsive. Now the S5 has a single turbo charged petrol V6 in the USA, and diesel V6 in Europe and possibly other markets. Not sure where exactly you are located. Funny you equate Comfort to Eco mode. That's exactly how many feel about Comfort/Auto modes in the latest generation S5. Unfortunately, ever stricter fuel economy and emissions regulations are to blame for that. Because RS models just like the 63 series AMG models are lower volume, they haven't been neutered as much yet. The C63 in particular. In Comfort mode it instantly starts downshifting as the car slows down to pretty much always be in the right gear to accelerate again. That's very different from the latest crop of Audis that hang out in the highest gear possible as long as possible. The only other Audi I've driven recently that proactively downshifts similar to the C63 in non-sport modes is the R8.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-11-2019 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
yes you can.. at least US spec cars..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do I get my 2019 C43 to start off in 2nd