Various questions after 1st month of driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C43 AMG Coupe
Various questions after 1st month of driving

Hi,

I got a few questions after driving my new C43 for a little bit more than a month:

1. Alert about not used seat belts in the back even though the seats are not used - do you know if it can be switched off? I find it a little big annoying that after every door opening I need to acknowledge it - seats should detect that they are not used...
2. Before pushing the car more - should I wait just for the engine to become hot enough (temp from blue to white) or also the transmission? It takes muuuch more time for the transmission to get over 50C degrees.
3. After switching from R to D, passenger-side mirror goes up only after some seconds, not immediately. Is is possible to change this behavior?

Thanks in advance to more experienced drivers .
Old 11-12-2019, 10:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
1 Not sure I've never got that alert?\
2 Yes, you should let it warm up before beating on it
3 Really?
Old 11-12-2019, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
1. This is a new one and not sure I follow. You're getting a seat belt not latched alert, like if someone was unlatched in the front passenger seat?
2. Wait for both engine and trans to turn white before giving it full beans. Adding some manual up/down shifts will help warm things up, but it's a common gripe how long it takes for trans to fully warm up.
3. You can press the driver side mirror button when in reverse to turn off the auto-tilt, or press the passenger mirror button to activate.
The following users liked this post:
Baldur! (11-14-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Baldur!
Hi,

I got a few questions after driving my new C43 for a little bit more than a month:

1. Alert about not used seat belts in the back even though the seats are not used - do you know if it can be switched off? I find it a little big annoying that after every door opening I need to acknowledge it - seats should detect that they are not used...
2. Before pushing the car more - should I wait just for the engine to become hot enough (temp from blue to white) or also the transmission? It takes muuuch more time for the transmission to get over 50C degrees.
3. After switching from R to D, passenger-side mirror goes up only after some seconds, not immediately. Is is possible to change this behavior?

Thanks in advance to more experienced drivers .

1. This sounds like a bad sensor in the seat. Take it in.
2. Feature toggles with the left/right mirror buttons.
3. I always wait for oil temp to be nominal before I floor it or rev it higher than 4500rpm. By the time the oil is good the transmission is good enough. If running a tranny a few degrees cooler was harmful there wouldn't have been aftermarket and OEM accessory tranny coolers on the market for the last 30 years or so.
Baldur! (11-14-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 03:55 AM

2020 C43 AMG Coupe
Thank you for all the replies! I have additional question, but first small comments as regards your answers:

1. In fact, it is not an alert like with some annoying sound etc., it is just a picture with an information that rear set belts are not used displayed on the left side of the screen (in AMG display mode or how it is called). I need to click the button to get rid of it. Don't you have it?
2. Thanks for the hint with the mirror buttons, but it's a pity it doesn't switch instantly after switching from R to D. Due to road configuration in front of my house, I reverse and then when I want to drive I need to verify the situation also in passenger side mirror, which is not easy with mirror still being in "reverse" position.
3. Here I still don't know what to do - of course safer would be to wait for "all white", but I'm not sure to what extent transmission is pushed more when flooring? In S+ gears are changed if RPMs are higher for sure, but does it affect transmission somehow? Also gears are probably changed faster (?) or more brutally, but I have no idea if it can be harmful when temperature of transmission is lower than 50C.

Now, additional question:
4. When I'm slowly entering my garage, I get only part of panoramic camera view (1st picture), to get full image I need to switch it on manually (2nd picture). Do you know any setting to enable full picture from the beginning?

1st

2nd
Old 11-13-2019, 06:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 AMG C43 T
Thank you for all the replies! I have additional question, but first small comments as regards your answers:

1. In fact, it is not an alert like with some annoying sound etc., it is just a picture with an information that rear set belts are not used displayed on the left side of the screen (in AMG display mode or how it is called). I need to click the button to get rid of it. Don't you have it?
I also get this, even if the other seats are not in use. But it disappears after driving "a few meters" if i don't click the OK button.
Baldur! (11-14-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 07:38 AM

2020 C43 AMG Coupe
This is how the alert about the belts looks like:

Old 11-13-2019, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 CLS450
What Mr J said sums it up well enough. It's not the end of the world, so long as you're not tracking it cold.

Re: seatbelts, I have a sedan so I suspect that's one thing. Have you tried just latching them and leaving them be? I see coupes with the back seats buckled all the time.
Baldur! (11-14-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43

2. Thanks for the hint with the mirror buttons, but it's a pity it doesn't switch instantly after switching from R to D. Due to road configuration in front of my house, I reverse and then when I want to drive I need to verify the situation also in passenger side mirror, which is not easy with mirror still being in "reverse" position.
3. Here I still don't know what to do - of course safer would be to wait for "all white", but I'm not sure to what extent transmission is pushed more when flooring? In S+ gears are changed if RPMs are higher for sure, but does it affect transmission somehow? Also gears are probably changed faster (?) or more brutally, but I have no idea if it can be harmful when temperature of transmission is lower than 50C.

4. When I'm slowly entering my garage, I get only part of panoramic camera view (1st picture), to get full image I need to switch it on manually (2nd picture). Do you know any setting to enable full picture from the beginning?

1st

2nd
2. The mirror does return to the regular position when you shift to drive but it's not quick. They programmed a delay for some reason but if you toggle the selector it will immediately return to the normal preset position. You can adjust the view angle that the passenger mirror adjusts to for reverse travel. There's a trick to it and I can't remember the button combos. Just search this site or google it. If that doesn't work you could just leave it toggled to the driver side and only switch it on when backing to a curb. Parallel parking is the only task I find this feature useful for.
Baldur! (11-14-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
It's possible that it may be a coupe thing but my nickel says there's an occupant sensor back there that's goofed up.
Baldur! (11-14-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,563 Posts
2019 C63CS

1st

2nd
Nope, that's normal. When it senses proximiy to something at low speeds, the parking sensors activate and it shows the 360 view to see the surroundings. If you want the fully camera view you have to activate it. You can add the camera to your favorites, and then you can press the favorite button on the steering wheel and select the camera. I have it as the first item in my favorites list, so it only takes two clicks to activate the camera.

As for adjusting the mirror tilt, while in reverse you can adjust the mirror to how you want it and then while still in reverse store your seat position again in the same slot. Make sure you are in reverse, otherwise it stores the tilted mirror as the normal position.

This is how the alert about the belts looks like:

I've never seen this on my 2019 C63S Coupe. Must be something new for 2020, but with a coupe it doesn't make much sense. Not sure what's the point of this as one rarely has rear seat passengers in a coupe. This might be a malfunction. I have to check next time I have somebody back there if this alert comes up when they don't have the seat belt buckled. That would make more sense to alert the driver of this if the seats are occupied. I see you are located in Switzerland, so that might explain it, since in Switzerland it's mandatory for rear passengers to wear seat belts, but still I would think it should only alert if somebody is actually back there not wearing the seat belts. Here in the USA, there's no seat belt law for the rear seats. As somebody else mentioned, I do keep the rear seat belts buckled, so they don't vibrate or bang against the plastic trim, but even if they are not buckled, I don't get this alert.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-13-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Baldur! (11-14-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 09:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
I'm going to post this here so I don't litter this forum.

Has anyone had issues disabling the auto start? It's happening every 4-5 times when I turn the car on where I can't turn it off. I have to restart the engine and than it turns off.

I'll bring it back to the dealer eventually
Old 11-14-2019, 02:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C
Thought I’d just add my 2 cents.

I drive the coupe and have the same warnings, I wonder if there are even sensors in the back seat because I don’t think they have that warning when you drive without a seatbelt (like front passenger).

I always wait for my engine and transmission to go blue but then I just go, there is quite some difference in time, engine will hit it in maybe 4-5 minutes and maybe 20 for transmission.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:47 AM

2020 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by AZFTW
Has anyone had issues disabling the auto start? It's happening every 4-5 times when I turn the car on where I can't turn it off. I have to restart the engine and than it turns off.

I'll bring it back to the dealer eventually
I never had this problem. With my previous car (Golf) I had different one - from time to time, after switching it off, it was back after 1-2 seconds, but using the button again always worked.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:50 AM

2020 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Just Curious
I drive the coupe and have the same warnings, I wonder if there are even sensors in the back seat because I don’t think they have that warning when you drive without a seatbelt (like front passenger).
On 20.11 I go to the garage to activate my car with Mercedes ME, maybe I'll ask about it.

I always wait for my engine and transmission to go blue but then I just go, there is quite some difference in time, engine will hit it in maybe 4-5 minutes and maybe 20 for transmission.
In my case it is blue from the beginning (meaning cold), then it turns white - transmission > 50C, engine > 70C.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:07 AM

2020 C43 AMG Coupe
This morning I discovered another small thing, it seems that windscreen washers don't work... I had to take it to the garage, as well for brakes problem I'm going to create separate thread for.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:50 AM

C
My bad... yes goes white. Regarding the washer you have to hold it down for a few seconds for it to work, are you just tapping it once?
Baldur! (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 05:17 AM

2020 C43 AMG Coupe
No, if I'm not wrong tapping once just enable the wipers for one time - I kept it for several seconds, nothing happens (apart from wipers moving). I thought that maybe the dealer forgot to add the fluid, so I bought one and was able to add just a little bit, as it is full already.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,563 Posts
2019 C63CS
This morning I discovered another small thing, it seems that windscreen washers don't work... I had to take it to the garage, as well for brakes problem I'm going to create separate thread for.
No, if I'm not wrong tapping once just enable the wipers for one time - I kept it for several seconds, nothing happens (apart from wipers moving). I thought that maybe the dealer forgot to add the fluid, so I bought one and was able to add just a little bit, as it is full already.
Haha, apparently I'm not the only one who couldn't figure this out at first. If you are new to MB like I was it's not very intuitive and the owner's manual doesn't help, but the button has two stages. If you just push it in, it just wipes. You have to push it in all the way for the wiper fluid. There's an initial point of resistance for the wiping function and if you push past it then the fluid sprays.
Baldur! (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 02:00 PM

2020 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
Haha, apparently I'm not the only one who couldn't figure this out at first. If you are new to MB like I was it's not very intuitive and the owner's manual doesn't help, but the button has two stages. If you just push it in, it just wipes. You have to push it in all the way for the wiper fluid. There's an initial point of resistance for the wiping function and if you push past it then the fluid sprays.
No way, really? I will check it tomorrow .
Old 11-14-2019, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 CLS450
No way, really? I will check it tomorrow .
Yeah, just press harder!
Baldur! (11-15-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 04:02 PM

C
You wiii need to hold after pressing it in! Otherwise it will just wipe and you’ll think we’re a bunch of liars
The following 2 users liked this post by Just Curious:
Baldur! (11-15-2019), RichardCranium3 (11-14-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 04:10 AM

2020 C43 AMG Coupe
You wiii need to hold after pressing it in! Otherwise it will just wipe and you’ll think we’re a bunch of liars
Hahaha, not a bunch of liars, but a bunch of cool and helpful people. Of course it worked . Many thanks!
Old 11-15-2019, 04:19 AM

2020 C43 AMG Coupe
Additional remark about rear seat belts alert. Yesterday I was watching GT63S test (
) and in 6:26 I've seen similar thing. Of course at that time the driver is not using the seat belts which made me wonder if the alert is in fact about the front seats. In my case I double checked - for sure it is about rear ones (I can see the area in the middle pictured). Anyway, in his case, he should be alerted only about driver side, so maybe it is just general "use your seat belts alert"?