Sponsored by:

2020 C43 sedan - PE EXHAUST SYMPTOMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43
2020 C43 sedan - PE EXHAUST SYMPTOMS

I am at the 400 mile mark now (still only driving in COMFORT mode) and my PE seems to have a mind of its own which has me perplexed. I've been in discussions with my dealer shop foreman who will be making contact with some higher up technical folks in MB to hopefully help us understand my symptoms...hopefully this forum can offer some thoughts from their experience (ideally with a 2020 of their own that has the PE option). COLD starts in my garage (about 55-60 degrees) is a very noisy experience (actually I love it, so not a complaint), and that roar (I mean like a WINSTON cup car) will remain for my usual commute to work of about 35 minutes/35 miles...and the other day a continuous trip of 60+ miles produces the same result....all WITHOUT ever engaging the PE button on the console. In theory, the car (other than the very initial COLD start) should be at its most quiet mode. The return 60 +mile trip the other day after the car had been sitting for about 6 hours produced another glorious and noisy ride home...I mean this critter roars. So, in doing some experimenting when it is roaring, I engage the PE button, and it immediately quiets...go figure, and then dis-engaging it, it goes even quieter. The difference between non-PE and PE is noticeable, but almost insignificant - nothing like the non-stop roar I experience after COLD starts which as mentioned above, never goes away even with full operating temperatures. Re-starts during the day - depending on how long it has sat - generally put it in a quiet mode while I long for the glorious roar...really weird. P.S. when I arrived home yesterday while in it's non-roaring mode, I kept it running and engaged the PE button...looked inside the tailpipes at the butterfly flaps looked about 1/4 or less open....kept it running, dis-engaged the PE and looked again and they were further closed but hardly noticeable. Shutting the car off returns the flaps to full open. I understand from my shop foreman (who brought out and showed me a diagram) that there are there valves in the system...one at the front crossover/H pipe, and one each of course at the tailpipes, and I believe he said that the crossover/H pipe flap controls the other two. Thoughts would be most appreciated. .
Old 12-21-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts
C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
far from being a shop forman myself. im willing to bet my whole paycheck that there is NOT a flap in the "H" portion of the C43 performance exhaust only in the mufflers.

on the C63 exhaust may be the case.

i have the PE.. "H" pipe and armytrix mufflers.

(in essence making my own functional "performance exhaust" with remote valves open/closed).

Old 12-21-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
The valves in the AMG PE are located only in the rear silencers.
There are no other valves. This is clear from the MB diagram and also spent quite abit of time under the car recently having had an OPF delete done.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by AhEmGee
The valves in the AMG PE are located only in the rear silencers.
There are no other valves. This is clear from the MB diagram and also spent quite abit of time under the car recently having had an OPF delete done.
So was the OPF in the front or the rear of the center exhaust section? I have been guessing rear since that’s what the drawing shows on MB parts, but we don’t get OPF in my country so never seen the real thing.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by TModelle
So was the OPF in the front or the rear of the center exhaust section? I have been guessing rear since that’s what the drawing shows on MB parts, but we don’t get OPF in my country so never seen the real thing.
I didn't take a picture but its circles here on the diagram of the AMG PE:

Right in the centre where other markets would have a much less restrictive resonator.
I had a look inside the OPF after it was removed , it's so dense you cannot even see daylight when looking through it.
Made a tangible difference to acceleration, especially at the top end I feel- going to dyno again when possible and get some new dragy runs as well to compare.
It's louder now as well when the valve is open, and raspier.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by AhEmGee
I didn't take a picture but its circles here on the diagram of the AMG PE:

Right in the centre where other markets would have a much less restrictive resonator.
I had a look inside the OPF after it was removed , it's so dense you cannot even see daylight when looking through it.
Made a tangible difference to acceleration, especially at the top end I feel- going to dyno again when possible and get some new dragy runs as well to compare.
It's louder now as well when the valve is open, and raspier.
So it was in front. How interesting. Any sensors to speak of? Or was it passive.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by TModelle
So it was in front. How interesting. Any sensors to speak of? Or was it passive.
No not in front- right under the centre of the car as in pic.
Yes there are sensors in the exhaust fore and aft of the OPF to measure the pressure gradient.
I think they're mainly there to check the pressure differential isn't too high ie if the OPF was blocked.
However the after sensor is really intricately attached to the OPF housing and the hangar goes right under the heat shield under the car so they're tricky to remove completely.
SOO I just has it gutter and welded back up. It's already mapped out on my Eurocharged V4 .
Old 02-19-2020, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by amgmacc43
I am at the 400 mile mark now (still only driving in COMFORT mode) and my PE seems to have a mind of its own which has me perplexed. I've been in discussions with my dealer shop foreman who will be making contact with some higher up technical folks in MB to hopefully help us understand my symptoms...hopefully this forum can offer some thoughts from their experience (ideally with a 2020 of their own that has the PE option). COLD starts in my garage (about 55-60 degrees) is a very noisy experience (actually I love it, so not a complaint), and that roar (I mean like a WINSTON cup car) will remain for my usual commute to work of about 35 minutes/35 miles...and the other day a continuous trip of 60+ miles produces the same result....all WITHOUT ever engaging the PE button on the console. In theory, the car (other than the very initial COLD start) should be at its most quiet mode. The return 60 +mile trip the other day after the car had been sitting for about 6 hours produced another glorious and noisy ride home...I mean this critter roars. So, in doing some experimenting when it is roaring, I engage the PE button, and it immediately quiets...go figure, and then dis-engaging it, it goes even quieter. The difference between non-PE and PE is noticeable, but almost insignificant - nothing like the non-stop roar I experience after COLD starts which as mentioned above, never goes away even with full operating temperatures. Re-starts during the day - depending on how long it has sat - generally put it in a quiet mode while I long for the glorious roar...really weird. P.S. when I arrived home yesterday while in it's non-roaring mode, I kept it running and engaged the PE button...looked inside the tailpipes at the butterfly flaps looked about 1/4 or less open....kept it running, dis-engaged the PE and looked again and they were further closed but hardly noticeable. Shutting the car off returns the flaps to full open. I understand from my shop foreman (who brought out and showed me a diagram) that there are there valves in the system...one at the front crossover/H pipe, and one each of course at the tailpipes, and I believe he said that the crossover/H pipe flap controls the other two. Thoughts would be most appreciated. .
Hi there... I have a 2020 C43, less than 200 miles at this point, but I experience exactly the same behavior. From cold, without touching the PE button it's at its very loudest... after its warm, any manipulation of the PE button makes it quieter at part throttle until I turn the car off. Back on, rinse, repeat. I actually posted a similar question/discussion a few days ago when someone pointed out your post. Did you ever get any resolution or explanation?

Like you, sometimes I really like it, but sometimes, it annoys the heck out of me... like after a really long day at work, late at night, really tired, and in the moment purposefully not driving my dedicated sports cars because a I want to take the edge off

FWIW... I'm in the US. Are you? (Didn't notice from your profile) I wonder if it's a regional configuration thing.

EDIT: n/m I see you're in the US now

Last edited by RJ M; 02-19-2020 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
C450 AMG
OPF is present on US cars too? From what I am reading it seems only EU cars have this right now. What year was this added to the exhaust system? Present on a 2016 model?