Going from a 2017 Audi S3 Stage 1+ and Aftermarket Goodies to a C43 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Audi S3
Going from a 2017 Audi S3 Stage 1+ and Aftermarket Goodies to a C43 AMG

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you have ever been in my position.
I am contemplating between purchasing a C43 fully loaded and even a C63 potentially (found an AMAZING deal but, it looks like a base model.)

My current car is pushing around 390-400HP. The thing is rapid and due to it being small it feels like a rocket. I drove an older model C63 that my buddy owns and it did not feel as fun. It took up to 3k RPM to really to begin feeling how beastly it was. I value power to weight ratio significantly which is why I love all the little tuned hot hatches of the world.

I am in a unique position now as I have the ability to sell my car for a good amount of money before depreciation takes a good hit on it.

I have to ask this question though.
Am I losing more than what I am gaining by buying a C43 or even a C63?
For example, if I go into a 2017 C43 I lose virtual cockpit, my old DSG Transmission, Android Auto, my 0-60 becomes slower (we are comparing tuned vs stock so might be apples to oranges but, I would like to know if I tuned the C43 I would get better numbers), and I lose the peppy low RPM-friendly engine due to it being a 4cyl.

Whereas I gain more features, WAY better interior (upholstery, seatbelts, door materials, etc..), better infotainment, and better exhaust note.

I am sure someone will say the C43 is faster 0-60 and surely faster in roll races. Do I have to tune the car in order to get there? Does the C43 have similar aftermarket support to the Golf R/S3/RS3 market?

It feels like I have to sacrifice performance and the unique driving experience the tuned S3 had in order to get better luxury if I plan on going to a C43. Whereas if I go to a C63 I am gaining performance but, marginally going up in luxury than compared to the C43. Then again there is no replacement for displacement haha.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:46 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
The S3 is prob much faster than the C43. Even if the C43 was tuned, it would prob still be faster or atleast really close.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:49 PM

The facelift W205 is really nice inside. So theres that. The rear seats and trunk are much more usable.

If you plan on tuning it I might hold back the expectations since facelift 43's have proven to be difficult to tune. So far the fastest facelift 43 is significantly slower than than a pre-facelift 43.

The 43 will basically feel like a larger newer S3. If you are looking for a drastic drastic change, get the 63.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:17 PM

2017 Audi S3
Originally Posted by waisoserious
The facelift W205 is really nice inside. So theres that. The rear seats and trunk are much more usable.

If you plan on tuning it I might hold back the expectations since facelift 43's have proven to be difficult to tune. So far the fastest facelift 43 is significantly slower than than a pre-facelift 43.

The 43 will basically feel like a larger newer S3. If you are looking for a drastic drastic change, get the 63.
Why are they so hard to tune? I was imagining that a single tune on the C43 would completely destroy me. I am hitting high 3's going 0-60. I could not live with the fact that I would be upgrading my car and my 0-60 and 1/4 mile times would be worse.
Surely, going stage 2 on a c43 with bigger downpipes, higher flow intake and a flash tune would be putting you in supercar territory. Almost 3.3-3.5 seconds right? I do not know the car or platform as well as you guys do. I am an Audi guy after all.

Edit: I am looking at a 2017 C43. It would be a pre facelift if I am not mistaken. I am also looking at a 2016 C63. These things have virtually no miles on them and I posed this question to the forums because, I could potentially sell my S3 for a C63. Only problem is I have already done 15k miles with my S3. Fuel economy might be an issue with a C63 lol. Which is why I was considering a C43. If anything if the C63 deal is good enough I have no problem doing a trade+cash for it albeit, the C63 has less options on it...

Last edited by Davethaboss; 01-12-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Davethaboss
Why are they so hard to tune? I was imagining that a single tune on the C43 would completely destroy me. I am hitting high 3's going 0-60. I could not live with the fact that I would be upgrading my car and my 0-60 and 1/4 mile times would be worse.
Surely, going stage 2 on a c43 with bigger downpipes, higher flow intake and a flash tune would be putting you in supercar territory. Almost 3.3-3.5 seconds right? I do not know the car or platform as well as you guys do. I am an Audi guy after all.

Edit: I am looking at a 2017 C43. It would be a pre facelift if I am not mistaken. I am also looking at a 2016 C63. These things have virtually no miles on them and I posed this question to the forums because, I could potentially sell my S3 for a C63. Only problem is I have already done 15k miles with my S3. Fuel economy might be an issue with a C63 lol. Which is why I was considering a C43. If anything if the C63 deal is good enough I have no problem doing a trade+cash for it albeit, the C63 has less options on it...

I dunno. The only thing anybody knows for certain is that its harder to make high boost on a face lift 43 compared to a older 43. And judging by the trap speed difference (3mph to 8mph difference depending on supporting mods and wagon vs sedan) the difference in hp after tune could be as much as 40hp.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
MB in general doesn't have the same tuning popularity as VAG cars (former B6 A4 K04 upgraded owner here). Remember, typical MB clientele is overwhelmingly older and less willing to tinker. With that said, a JB4 piggyback should be able to push you in to low 4s or high 3s 0-60 on '17-'18 models. It's low cost, reliable, and can be removed if ever needed to take in for service if you're worried about being flagged. There are flash options out there, and surely someone from that camp will chime in from their soap box. No matter which tuning option you take, the car as a whole is very susceptible to atmospheric conditions. High elevation, high humidity environments tend to be a tick slower than those closer to sea level. Check the Dragy app for the fastest times and what tunes are being used. As real-world as it gets. I have a '17 with JB4 and BCM (boost control module for wastegate control) and blend 91 or 93 with E85 3:1 for an E30 mix. I've made a custom boost map for my conditions and can pull 3.9-4.1 0-60s almost all year round.

There are two intake options available, MST and BMS (maker of JB4). Neither are game changers for power, but both offer some anecdotal throttle response and fun charge noises. I'm bone stock in this area.

There are aftermarket options for AA/Carplay available.

I cross-shopped the S3/4 before landing in the C43. No regerts.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C450 AMG
Originally Posted by waisoserious
I dunno. The only thing anybody knows for certain is that its harder to make high boost on a face lift 43 compared to a older 43. And judging by the trap speed difference (3mph to 8mph difference depending on supporting mods and wagon vs sedan) the difference in hp after tune could be as much as 40hp.
I have a facelift 43 that just got tuned by Eurocharged Canada. Its producing 20whp less than the pre facelift. There is a large HP drop off in the high end between 5000-6500rpm. They have not figured out whats causing this.. Might be TCU limiting..
Old 01-13-2020, 07:46 PM

make sure it has the PE and Burmeister. Maybe even the laser cruise control option. And all the parking assistance options.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43

I don't think they are any harder to tune than the older models. The facelift bumps up the power a little bit and the ECU mapping is tweaked. I don't think the mass tuners have incorporated the new tables yet. They will eventually. You could always just look for a 17 or an 18 if you want the max output. Or just ride it out with a piggyback until the ECU tunes all get updated. A C43 with a JB4 runs slightly better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times than a standard stock C63. Look at the JB4 threads for time slips. A few guys on here are posting them.

I think you're dreaming if you think you can sell or trade your S3 without taking a huge depreciation hit. Remember, your mods add no value for a potential buyer. It's just someone else's project to them.

Last edited by Mr. J; 01-13-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:07 AM

2017 Audi S3
Originally Posted by Mr. J
I don't think they are any harder to tune than the older models. The facelift bumps up the power a little bit and the ECU mapping is tweaked. I don't think the mass tuners have incorporated the new tables yet. They will eventually. You could always just look for a 17 or an 18 if you want the max output. Or just ride it out with a piggyback until the ECU tunes all get updated. A C43 with a JB4 runs slightly better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times than a standard stock C63. Look at the JB4 threads for time slips. A few guys on here are posting them.

I think you're dreaming if you think you can sell or trade your S3 without taking a huge depreciation hit. Remember, your mods add no value for a potential buyer. It's just someone else's project to them.
I bought my S3 when it was 1 year old but, I bought it in a way most people do not. Therefore long story short, I am in negotiations with one guy for my car + cash to do a trade for his C63. Mods do add value to an extent. Retrofits, added features, better peformance, etc... all add value in different ways. I could understand your perspective from a buyer who does not care about performance but, most people shopping in this segment do. Plus I have added features to the car like heated rear passenger seats, reverse memory dipping mirrors (took me awhile to perfect!), interior lighting, 2nd vid output for phone or AUX device to be displayed on the dashboard which only one guy on youtube I have seen has done it before. These are just a few. I am an electronics nerd. I actually resoldered a broken door module and resoldered a new relay to get my window regulator functional.

I need to do a test drive soon for the guys' C63 and I need to test drive a C43 to see if it is any good or not.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:04 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GLA 45 AMG
If you value the power to weight ratio, why not look at a 18-19 GLA 45. I have a tuned A3 as a DD and the 45 for fun. There is simply no comparison. I'm afraid if I traded up to a GLC 43 I would lose that fun toss able affect the 45 has in spades.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:50 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
C43
I just sold my IS38 GTI for a C43 sedan. I could not be happier. It's nice having a comfortable and quiet car now
Old 01-23-2020, 03:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Im looking at getting BMW M2 Competition when my C43 lease ends.
The following users liked this post:
Dieseldan9 (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 08:48 PM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by Steelguin
Im looking at getting BMW M2 Competition when my C43 lease ends.
Right there with u.... Awesome car