Sponsored by:

J-pipe/Helmholtz Exhaust Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA250
J-pipe/Helmholtz Exhaust Mod

Does anyone have a muffler delete, and in place, put a J-pipe in to reduce drone that could tell me what size piping they used? I don't have the necessary tools to measure the frequency in order to plug it into the equation to determine the length of said pipe. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by CLA.SA
Does anyone have a muffler delete, and in place, put a J-pipe in to reduce drone that could tell me what size piping they used? I don't have the necessary tools to measure the frequency in order to plug it into the equation to determine the length of said pipe. Thank you in advance.
I have the AWE track edition exhaust which is a 2.5” diameter throughout, and armytrix downpipes. Although I love the exhaust and the WOT sound. I had terrible drone in the range of approx 2000-2500 rpm so cruising on the freeway was terrible during long trips. I eventually added vibrant ultra quiet resonators where mufflers would usually go as well as j-pipes which has significantly helped me to reduce drone.

I used a 2” diameter j bend. That was 33.750” long. This was calculated and made accordingly. The car is still loud when I get on the throttle but the drone has significantly decreased. Over time I think I might replace the resonators with a highflow muffler to further cut any residual drone.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by tgidave; 01-19-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:53 PM

CLA250
Originally Posted by tgidave
I have the AWE track edition exhaust which is a 2.5” diameter throughout, and armytrix downpipes. Although I love the exhaust and the WOT sound. I had terrible drone in the range of approx 2000-2500 rpm so cruising on the freeway was terrible during long trips. I eventually added vibrant ultra quiet resonators where mufflers would usually go as well as j-pipes which has significantly helped me to reduce drone.

I used a 2” diameter j bend. That was 33.750” long. This was calculated and made accordingly. The car is still loud when I get on the throttle but the drone has significantly decreased. Over time I think I might replace the resonators with a highflow muffler to further cut any residual drone.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the pictures, really helped a lot. I'd imagine the drone wouldn't even be that bad if it was just a muffler or both muffler and resonator delete? Did you custom make your J pipes or did you purchase online? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2020, 05:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
C43
You'd be surprised at what the Muffler delete would do. If you want to play it safe, maybe start with the res delete. See how you like it, then if you aren't totally satisfied, then look into performance mufflers.
I found that going almost straight piped and working my way backwards to eliminate drone has been pretty cumbersome.

What are you starting off with?

C450?
C43, PE or non PE exhaust?

As for the J-Pipes, You can find them from the link below. They are pre-bent, i had the caps welded on, and i cut off the angled section and rotated the tube so that i could have the desired angle when welded onto my exhaust as seen in the pictures.
Lyell's Stainless Exhaust Inc
Old 01-23-2020, 08:21 PM

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
You'd be surprised at what the Muffler delete would do. If you want to play it safe, maybe start with the res delete. See how you like it, then if you aren't totally satisfied, then look into performance mufflers.
I found that going almost straight piped and working my way backwards to eliminate drone has been pretty cumbersome.

C450?

As for the J-Pipes, You can find them from the link below. They are pre-bent, i had the caps welded on, and i cut off the angled section and rotated the tube so that i could have the desired angle when welded onto my exhaust as seen in the pictures.
Glad to read all this. I have a resonator delete on my C450 right now and love it — was about to go this weekend and do mufflers too, but I just scored some downpipes from another member. Definitely going to hold off on the muffler delete and not ‘work backwards’ .....thinking the DPs + resonator delete will be perfect...and if not, mufflers last haha
Old 01-23-2020, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by DLinddd
Glad to read all this. I have a resonator delete on my C450 right now and love it — was about to go this weekend and do mufflers too, but I just scored some downpipes from another member. Definitely going to hold off on the muffler delete and not ‘work backwards’ .....thinking the DPs + resonator delete will be perfect...and if not, mufflers last haha

How's drone between 5-7th at highway speed? How long ago did you do it? My commute is about an hour each way on the highway and county roads.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:44 AM

CLA250

C450?

I have a C450 at the moment. I had a muffler & resonator delete on another car before, it was extremely loud and drone was obnoxious on highway. Wonder if the muffler delete and j pipe alone would negate it. I haven't seen anyone do this type of setup with just a muffler and/or with resonator delete.

Last edited by CLA.SA; 01-24-2020 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Adding comment
Old 11-28-2023, 08:32 PM

(2008 Audi a4 Quatto 2.0t S-line)(2016 E400 Coupe)
Originally Posted by CLA.SA

Just came back later to report on my C207 E400 this J pipe shown in the photos and linked from Lyell’s worked great. Got rid of my muffler delete drone fully. Was quite bad too rattling apart my interior over time I felt. 1.75 inch J pipe 409 Chromium-stainless steel J pipes did the trick. Places where mufflers were cut and replaced with straight pipe.