Sponsored by:

How did you sell your Mercedes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 08:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
GLB
How did you sell your Mercedes?

I am considering selling my 2016 C450 and purchasing something with a lower cost of ownership. As the title states, how did you end up selling your Mercedes? How long did it take to sell the car? What were the differences if you price out both options? I understand a trade in will get you significantly less. One (small) bonus is in WA the difference on the trade in is not taxed. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 01-28-2020, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by milleian
I am considering selling my 2016 C450 and purchasing something with a lower cost of ownership. As the title states, how did you end up selling your Mercedes? How long did it take to sell the car? What were the differences if you price out both options? I understand a trade in will get you significantly less. One (small) bonus is in WA the difference on the trade in is not taxed. Any advice would be appreciated!

You're going to take depreciation hit if you sell. You will not save money this way unless you take a major downgrade.

To sell, get a trade in appraisal from at least 2 different dealers and Carmax. Get 3 dealer appraisals if the estimates have a spread greater than 10%. List the car on Autotrader, Craigslist, Nextdoor, MBworld, Bimmerpost, and maybe a few others. Your PP listing price should be about 20% above the dealer trade in value. Give or take 5% depending on how hard they want to screw you. Be prepared to deal with 5 scammers and 3 wheeler dealers for each actual prospective buyer who contacts you.

The following users liked this post:
milleian (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Mr. J
You're going to take depreciation hit if you sell. You will not save money this way unless you take a major downgrade.

To sell, get a trade in appraisal from at least 2 different dealers and Carmax. Get 3 dealer appraisals if the estimates have a spread greater than 10%. List the car on Autotrader, Craigslist, Nextdoor, MBworld, Bimmerpost, and maybe a few others. Your PP listing price should be about 20% above the dealer trade in value. Give or take 5% depending on how hard they want to screw you. Be prepared to deal with 5 scammers and 3 wheeler dealers for each actual prospective buyer who contacts you.
Great advice here - you'll get less with Carmax but maybe not as much as you think and you won't have to deal with showing the car to multiple people. I would personally not deal with websites like this or Bimmerpost but that's just because I wouldn't want to deal with kids / scammers who have no interest in buying the car.
milleian (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:53 PM

GLB
Originally Posted by Mr. J

Appreciate the informative response. I have the CPO warranty which is in effect right now. I also picked up the extended 2 year factory warranty. Car is completely covered for unlimited miles, 2023. Do people even care about that sense of security? Would that increase the value of the car or just cancel it and be done with it?
Old 01-28-2020, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,665 Posts
2019 C63CS
Go to the KBB website and price out both trade-in and private party sale for you specific car and mileage. Then see if the difference of the private party value is bigger than what you are likely gonna get in sales tax credit if you were to trade it in. My hunch is, that it is not and you are probably best off trading it in and take the sales tax credit. In reality you won't get much more than KBB value depending on the actual condition of the car. Savvy buyers do their research, too, and the KBB value is pretty much where it is. You may find somebody who is willing to pay more for getting the warranties, but as with options, usually those things have very little value when selling the car. Extended warranties are a huge money making business and generally not worth it and they come with a list of exclusions, but if somebody can pick up a used car with one then why not. I would not pay anything for an extended warranty, though.
milleian (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 11:10 PM

GLB
Originally Posted by superswiss
Go to the KBB website and price out both trade-in and private party sale for you specific car and mileage. Then see if the difference of the private party value is bigger than what you are likely gonna get in sales tax credit if you were to trade it in. My hunch is, that it is not and you are probably best off trading it in and take the sales tax credit. In reality you won't get much more than KBB value depending on the actual condition of the car. Savvy buyers do their research, too, and the KBB value is pretty much where it is. You may find somebody who is willing to pay more for getting the warranties, but as with options, usually those things have very little value when selling the car. Extended warranties are a huge money making business and generally not worth it and they come with a list of exclusions, but if somebody can pick up a used car with one then why not. I would not pay anything for an extended warranty, though.
That makes sense. I have access to the blackbook and for the most part it’s similar to what kbb says. Worst that happens is I walk.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by milleian
Appreciate the informative response. I have the CPO warranty which is in effect right now. I also picked up the extended 2 year factory warranty. Car is completely covered for unlimited miles, 2023. Do people even care about that sense of security? Would that increase the value of the car or just cancel it and be done with it?
The warranty definitely adds value for the private party buyer if transferable. Some people are phobic about German cars out of warranty and I don't blame them for that belief. The MB ELW can be canceled and refunded at a prorated amount too. Since it''s already covered under CPO, you should cancel the ELW and just pocket it if you are serious about selling it.

Last edited by Mr. J; 01-29-2020 at 08:36 PM.
milleian (01-29-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 06:29 AM

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 Cabriolet, 2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
Never mind... Reply was to the wrong thread.

Last edited by SDRider; 08-02-2020 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
Carmax was fair to me

In June 2018 I had a private party willing to pay $13,200 for my '07 SLK55, but his wife make him back out at the last minute. Others expressed interest but nobody was serious and I was coming to the commit point on my new C63s. The dealer offered me $8,500 for the '07 SLK55 as a trade-in so I went to Carmax and got $12,500 (in and out in <20 minutes and they gave me a ride home).

I got my revenge on the dealer, to some extent. They were giving me the 'how much of the total do you want to finance' question with a gleam in their greedy little eyes until I pulled out a $75k cashiers check and some cash. The finance manager looked like he literally wanted to cry.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:16 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
Just keep the car and enjoy driving it. You have warranty for 2-3 more years so not much of maintenance outside of gas/oil/rubber. You have to go real cheap to make this downsizing economically logical.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:44 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, 6M, Dynamic Handling Pack
Carvana is a much better option than Carmax. Vroom is another option. I got much better offers from Carvana than Carmax in the past and they come pick up the car. Never got nickled and dime for any minor wear items.

BTW do you have any information on your car??? Where do you live? I'm in the market for a C450. Edit--I see you are in WA, unfortunately I am on the other coast so I doubt we could make this work
Soobahru (08-12-2020)
Old 12-06-2022, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge
Hi there! Selling my 2016 C450 was a relatively straightforward process. I listed the car on several online marketplaces, and it sold within a week. I did make sure to price it competitively, and it sold for a price that was in line with the market value. I got contacted by some guy that offers "cash for trucks," and they bought it on the same day. If you're considering both selling your car and trading it in, it's essential to do your research and compare the two options. I found that the trade-in value I was offered was significantly lower than what I could get by selling it myself.

Last edited by Mangustos; 12-09-2022 at 10:51 PM.