Sponsored by:

Highly considering 2020 C43 - basic questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 02:19 PM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
Highly considering 2020 C43 - basic questions

Currently, highly considering a 2020 C43 sedan, but have a few general questions.

1) The performance exhaust is louder than the sports exhaust, correct? It's not the same thing while offering just a on/off switch...?
2) For those who put some good amount of miles on the vehicle, considering its a stiffer car, are there a lots of rattles and things falling apart? haha
3) Once again for those who put some good amount of miles on it - do you recommend it? Stay away from it? Buy it again?

Thanks! Will probably have more questions but these are it for now.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:26 PM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
Lot of guys here including myself would recommend the PE just for the quietness you want when commuting and when you want bra+ta+ta on sport+.

I had mine over a year and there were few rattles but major ones were the trunk bottle lid which is made of plastic, and sits on trunk underbody metal, and would hit it constantly. They put felt tape but still hear it once in a while. Drove regular 2019 c300 while car was in the shop and majority of noise isn't there and apparently they fix it on the facelift model.

Drive both c43 and c300 and see if you can find noises you can live or upgrade into an e class
Old 02-07-2020, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
Currently, highly considering a 2020 C43 sedan, but have a few general questions.

1) The performance exhaust is louder than the sports exhaust, correct? It's not the same thing while offering just a on/off switch...?
2) For those who put some good amount of miles on the vehicle, considering its a stiffer car, are there a lots of rattles and things falling apart? haha
3) Once again for those who put some good amount of miles on it - do you recommend it? Stay away from it? Buy it again?

1-PE is a must have in my opinion, is louder than stock exhaust when switch is on, is not the same exhaust as stock.
2-I put few miles on this C43, changed tires to non-runflats, but yes, a lot of rattles, at only 12k miles it has many rattles, nothing is falling apart, but it it rattles.
3-If they fix a few things when the next gen comes out (2021), I may get another one, but not the current model. Maybe being manufactured in Alabama contributes to all the rattles? I don't like the transmission, is very twitchy/jerky, I dont like the suspension, even in comfort and with non runflats is jumpy and stiff, I don't like the old OS (mine is a 2017 C43) , other than what I mentioned is a fine car. and I put low miles, less than 10k a year.
4-I like the wheels (19" amg silver/black) , I like the seats (designo nappa leather), I like the steering. But , what I like the most is the PE
Old 02-07-2020, 09:07 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa

1. The PE is way louder than the Sports Exhaust. Not just louder, the tone and range of sound are also different. The PE makes a variety of howls, barks and rasps depending on throttle position and drive mode, while the Sports only makes Howls.
2. I have about 30k miles on my GLC43 with pretty terrible road conditions. No interior rattling noticed.
3. Its a great car for what it is. Its quick and sounds greats. But there are other cars that offer more in 2020. The C43 is basically a 4-5 yr old car at this point and at the end of its cycle. In the market place, it is already facing a newer generation of cars that offer much more. The new 45's (though smaller) for example are in an entirely different league than the current 43's.

Personally I would not buy a 43 in 2020. I'd either:

1. Get something else entirely
2. Get a 2017 43 for much cheaper
3. Wait a year or 2 for whatever replaces the 43.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 C43 (SOLD) & 2012 C63 P31
PE for anything AMG or you're missing like half the AMG performance experience and significantly reduces the value of the car for resale.
If I were to do it again, I'd go with a CPO on a 63. But I don't know what you're going for.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:53 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
For this price point it’s the best on the market. Better then the BMW and Audi offerings. Just enough luxury. Does ride stiff. If you are in the mood to drive the car hard it does not disappoint. I have the coupe. It’s great. A head turner and exhaust is a must. Go with the 18’s. Much better ride quality and avoid breaking the tires and rims.
The following users liked this post:
HighSun_Murder (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 10:25 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG / C350 Coupe
I've had my 2020 for about a month and it puts a smile on my face every day. Idk what that dude was talking about manufacturing in Alabama? my 2020 came with the shipping invoice from AMG in Affalterbach Germany. C43 is probably best bang for your buck in a 2020 performance sedan with AWD. The BMW and Audi offerings in the same market are crap in comparison.

DonnyGT (03-30-2024)
Old 02-08-2020, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by HighSun_Murder
I've had my 2020 for about a month and it puts a smile on my face every day. Idk what that dude was talking about manufacturing in Alabama? my 2020 came with the shipping invoice from AMG in Affalterbach Germany. C43 is probably best bang for your buck in a 2020 performance sedan with AWD. The BMW and Audi offerings in the same market are crap in comparison.
Personally, I preferred the Audi but it was more expensive than my 2019 C43 so I got the Merc instead (where I’m at). This is the only car I’ve owned that I regretted buying. But I just have to live with my decision until the next car. Definitely back to Audi next for me.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:41 AM

C43 AMG / C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by TModelle
Personally, I preferred the Audi but it was more expensive than my 2019 C43 so I got the Merc instead (where I’m at). This is the only car I’ve owned that I regretted buying. But I just have to live with my decision until the next car. Definitely back to Audi next for me.
Sounds like you got a lemon dude. I've seen nothing but positive reviews on YouTube and my personal experience is the same.. Maybe your just an Audi fanboy
Old 02-08-2020, 11:03 AM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
Check your door jam where your car was made. Mine was from Alabama as well. Most NA C classes are made there.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
and to add to that...
North American, Canadian market a205 convertible, c205 coupé and s205 wagon (t-model)c43 are made in Germany only the sedans (saloons) are made in Alabama, USA.
Forgot the details of the GLC
PFEAMG (02-10-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 12:29 PM

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts
2019 C43 AMG Coupe
Yep, the coupes are made in Germany. Reading this forum for almost a year is what made me go with a coupe even though I was originally looking at a sedan. I didn't want to deal with any build quality issues from the Alabama plant. I have zero regrets. I enjoy this car every time I start the engine. I came from a Lexus IS350F. I had test-drives (and even extended test-drives) with an M340 and an S4 and neither one intrigued me like this car. The M340 is capable performer, but the turning radius was crap, and the interior was plain for this class of car. The S4 had a better interior than the M340, but the engine left something to be desired. I wouldn't have done anything differently, and that's the first time in my car-purchasing career I can say that
PFEAMG (02-10-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
AMG's headquarter is in Affalterbach and that's where they hand-build the V8 and the new 4-cylinder for the A/CLA45, but none of their cars are built in Affalterbach. I recommend doing a tour of the Affalterbach location if you are ever in Germany, however, the 205 sedans for North America are built in Alabama, USA. In Vance, AL to be exact. For the rest of the world, most 205 sedans are built in East London, South Africa and occasionally one for North America comes from South Africa. Nobody really knows why. The 205 coupes and cabriolets are built in Bremen, Germany. This is also why you can't do European Delivery on a sedan. Only coupes and cabriolets are available for European Delivery. The Alabama plant is still one of the worst performing plants in terms of quality. The South African plant is actually pretty good and largely on par with the plant in Germany. The Alabama plant has gotten better as the years go by.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC 43AMG
Do you know what these AMG factory codes mean:
PZW
1B4
6P5
8U6
Old 02-08-2020, 01:46 PM

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts
2019 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by negril1167
PZW
1B4
6P5
8U6
Those aren't AMG factory codes. They're option codes for a GLC.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
PZW
1B4
6P5
8U6
I haven't seen the first three, but I have the last two on my C63S build sheet. They are internal factory codes. These can be things like country specific options for example specific emissions certification requirements etc. Not sure what each one stands for.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:55 PM

GLC 43AMG
Thanks. I just ordered a 2020 GLC 43 AMG coupe, saw those codes on the order sheet from the dealer.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:56 PM

GLC 43AMG
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Thanks. I just ordered a 2020 GLC 43 AMG coupe, saw those codes on the order sheet from the dealer.
PM me, I may be able to help.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 AMG
Originally Posted by stockbmw
Check your door jam where your car was made. Mine was from Alabama as well. Most NA C classes are made there.
C43 Coupe is assembled in Stuttgart. Sedan and C300 is in Alabama.

Coupe is the only way to go for more and more reasons
Old 02-09-2020, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by W205_AMG
C43 Coupe is assembled in Stuttgart.
Bremen actually, not Stuttgart. Bremen is in Northern Germany and Stuttgart in Southern Germany. The plant in Stuttgart makes engines, transmissions and axles and it's also the headquarter of Daimler and where the MB Museum is, so there's a sticker in the door jamb that says Mercedes-Benz Stuttgart, but that's just because that's where the headquarter is. That's not the production location. The nearest plant where MB produces complete cars is in Sindelfingen. It's where the AMG GT and the S Class is produced and where the factory delivery center is. If you ever do European Delivery you'll pick it up in Sindelfingen, but upon request you can actually pick it up in Bremen where it was really made. Bremen is about 45 minutes next to Bremerhaven from where the cars get shipped to the rest of the world. Bremerhaven is the port city of Bremen. Together they make up the smallest state in Germany, the state of Bremen. The best way to tell where the car was produced is from the VIN. The VIN for USA built cars starts with 55S, which is MB US International Inc, instead of WDD etc. If the VIN starts with WDD etc. then it can be further narrowed down by the 11th character, which is the plant code. Surprisingly a lot of regular C Class sedans for the USA are made in South Africa. I just perused the new car inventory of my dealership and all the C300 sedans they have came from South Africa, whereas all the C43 sedans were made in the USA.

Position 11, production plant:
  • A-E Sindelfingen
  • F-H Bremen
  • J Rastatt
  • X Graz
  • T Karmann
  • V Valmet Automotive, Finland
  • L Pekan, Pahang, Malaysia
  • M Woking, England (SLR)
  • N Kecskemet, Hungary
  • R South Africa

Last edited by superswiss; 02-09-2020 at 07:39 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
Baldur! (02-10-2020), chrissy0874 (05-12-2020), PFEAMG (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 04:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by batman719
Yep, the coupes are made in Germany. Reading this forum for almost a year is what made me go with a coupe even though I was originally looking at a sedan. I didn't want to deal with any build quality issues from the Alabama plant. I have zero regrets. I enjoy this car every time I start the engine. I came from a Lexus IS350F. I had test-drives (and even extended test-drives) with an M340 and an S4 and neither one intrigued me like this car. The M340 is capable performer, but the turning radius was crap, and the interior was plain for this class of car. The S4 had a better interior than the M340, but the engine left something to be desired. I wouldn't have done anything differently, and that's the first time in my car-purchasing career I can say that
Completely agree with Batman!

Yep US coupes are made in Bremen Germany, while the sedans are made in Alabama (and apparently some in South Africa).

I would def get the PE option, worth every penny IMO. One of the things that add to the cars character and provide a much more visceral driving experience.

I ordered my car and have had it for about 8 months and have zero rattles thus far. I also came from a Lexus IS350, which was a great car for different reasons, but the C43 is so much more fun and just on an entirely dif level. It does ride a bit harsh so getting rid of the run flat tires and/or opting for the 18inch wheels may help a little with that.

Speaking of wheels and known issues with the car, many folks on here have had numerous tire/rim issues (blow outs/cracked rims) etc so may be another reason to swap out the wheels/tires if you get one. I have the 19' wheels and so far no issues...and I live in New Jersey. But I may just be lucky so far.

So overall, yes this car is technically older, but I still feel it's one of the best on the market in it's price range and I have absolutely loved every minute with it so far. Also the next gen c43's will also not be v6s but 4's. That may not bother some, but I highly doubt it will sound the same as it does today. And if the spy shots of the interior come to fruition, I'll stick with this gen thanks (which I think is gorgeous btw with Cranberry leather and carbon fiber/al ).

But others have tested the Audi S4/5 and BMWs and really liked them...so much so that they chose them over the c43. Best way to determine what's best for you is to test drive one .
Old 02-10-2020, 07:40 PM

C43 AMG / C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
Bremen actually, not Stuttgart. Bremen is in Northern Germany and Stuttgart in Southern Germany. The plant in Stuttgart makes engines, transmissions and axles and it's also the headquarter of Daimler and where the MB Museum is, so there's a sticker in the door jamb that says Mercedes-Benz Stuttgart, but that's just because that's where the headquarter is. That's not the production location. The nearest plant where MB produces complete cars is in Sindelfingen. It's where the AMG GT and the S Class is produced and where the factory delivery center is. If you ever do European Delivery you'll pick it up in Sindelfingen, but upon request you can actually pick it up in Bremen where it was really made. Bremen is about 45 minutes next to Bremerhaven from where the cars get shipped to the rest of the world. Bremerhaven is the port city of Bremen. Together they make up the smallest state in Germany, the state of Bremen. The best way to tell where the car was produced is from the VIN. The VIN for USA built cars starts with 55S, which is MB US International Inc, instead of WDD etc. If the VIN starts with WDD etc. then it can be further narrowed down by the 11th character, which is the plant code. Surprisingly a lot of regular C Class sedans for the USA are made in South Africa. I just perused the new car inventory of my dealership and all the C300 sedans they have came from South Africa, whereas all the C43 sedans were made in the USA.

• A-E Sindelfingen
  • F-H Bremen
  • J Rastatt
  • X Graz
  • T Karmann
  • N Kecskemet, Hungary
  • R South Africa
This is good Intel. However, my C43 (according to your VIN convention) was made in SA (R)
eatmydust (10-07-2021)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 AMG

• A-E Sindelfingen
  • F-H Bremen
  • J Rastatt
  • X Graz
  • T Karmann
  • N Kecskemet, Hungary
  • R South Africa
Ah my mistake. I was just going off a mental image I had from the door jamb that said "Stuttgart" on it. Must have been for the power plant!

Just checked and my position 11 is F for Bremen as you said!
Old 10-07-2021, 01:55 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2020 C43, 2008 E350

• A-E Sindelfingen
  • F-H Bremen
  • J Rastatt
  • X Graz
  • T Karmann
  • N Kecskemet, Hungary
  • R South Africa
Weird my 2020 C43 is from South Africa.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Highly considering 2020 C43 - basic questions