Question about tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 11:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C63 S AMG Sedan
Question about tires

Hi all,

I know it has been discussed to death, but I still have a bit of confusion about it. I got my new 2020 C43 a couple of weeks ago, with the stock Pirelli runflats, 19" rims. Reading the forums, many people complain about those tires specifically and about runflats in general as the main cause for tire/rim damage as well as sacrifice in ride comfort. The conclusion that most people reach is to switch to non runflats. They last much longer, protect the rims better and provide a smoother ride. Many of those people swear by Michelin PS4, which I checked online and saw they were also runflats, so I am unsure as to the conclusion. If they are runflats then the problem is not with runflats in general but rather with the quality of the Pirelli tires.

I am ready to replace the 4 tires and keep the originals until my lease ends, I just need to know what to do. Also, I did pay for the tire/rim protection package but don't feel like dealing with it every time I hit a pothole...

Can someone please explain this to me? Runflats or non-runflats? Get better runflats? How does the PS4 fit in all this?

Thank you in advance and sorry for starting yet another tire thread...

Last edited by killergurt; 02-16-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Get non-runflats. PS4S is a good option, but ultimately the brand to choose is up to you. There are many options out there!

I think the run flats are a North American thing. In Asia, the C43 come with non-run flats as standard.
The following users liked this post:
BenzRocker6 (03-01-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 10:45 AM

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts
2019 C43 AMG Coupe
The PS4S is a non-run-flat tire.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:06 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
PS4 would be an excellent choice for a C43 performance summer tire. It is NOT a run flat tire. I will swap out the stock run flats on my new incoming 2020 C43.
I have switched from stock to run them on my 991.2 Porsche Turbo S and also on my GT3 Touring.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
GLA250 4Matic, 911 Carrera S, R1250 GS Adv.
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ non-runflats are another excellent choice for the C43. They're longer lasting than the PS4's and are "all season" if that matters. For track days, and that kind of driving, the PS4's offer more ultimate performance but probably a slightly harsher ride.

Here's a pro tip: I'm not leasing so wouldn't ever re-install runflats. I listed my take-off Pirelli runflats on Craigslist and sold them to a Jaguar sedan owner who needed them for his ending lease - exact same sizes. Who knew?

Another tip: Since there's no spare tire, run over to Walmart and get an emergency tire repair kit (plugging kit + compressor + Slime sealant). Put it all in the trunk under the floor panel.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:56 PM

2020 C63 S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Sailorlite
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ non-runflats are another excellent choice for the C43. They're longer lasting than the PS4's and are "all season" if that matters. For track days, and that kind of driving, the PS4's offer more ultimate performance but probably a slightly harsher ride.

Here's a pro tip: I'm not leasing so wouldn't ever re-install runflats. I listed my take-off Pirelli runflats on Craigslist and sold them to a Jaguar sedan owner who needed them for his ending lease - exact same sizes. Who knew?

Another tip: Since there's no spare tire, run over to Walmart and get an emergency tire repair kit (plugging kit + compressor + Slime sealant). Put it all in the trunk under the floor panel.
Thank you very much. Since I am on a lease, I do have to return the car with the Pirellis, so will have to keep them.
Stupid question: I live in CA, and it never snows in my area. If I buy a Summer tire, does it mean that I can also drive it in the rain? If so, I would go for the PS4S, otherwise, I'll maybe go for the "all season" ones.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:58 PM

2020 C63 S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by batman719
The PS4S is a non-run-flat tire.
Thank you!
Old 02-16-2020, 01:04 PM

2019 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by killergurt
Thank you very much. Since I am on a lease, I do have to return the car with the Pirellis, so will have to keep them.
Stupid question: I live in CA, and it never snows in my area. If I buy a Summer tire, does it mean that I can also drive it in the rain? If so, I would go for the PS4S, otherwise, I'll maybe go for the "all season" ones.
Yes, even summer tires can handle the rain. You wouldn't want to drive aggressively in rain with summer tires, but you won't go flying off the road if you drive normally in the rain with them
Old 02-16-2020, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Yes, even summer tires can handle the rain. You wouldn't want to drive aggressively in rain with summer tires, but you won't go flying off the road if you drive normally in the rain with them
Moisture doesn't really matter it's temperature that does. You can hoon the car with summer tires in the rain as long as the temps are warm. Many summer performance tires will actually have superior grip on warm wet surfaces versus all season. In Socal you should definitely run the PS4s year round. The only reason not to would be if you regularly go up high mountain passes where the temps are below 40F, think Big Bear or Wrightwood.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:34 PM

2019 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Moisture doesn't really matter it's temperature that does.
Moisture absolutely matters. A half inch of rainwater is going to make a significant difference in handling.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
C450 AMG
Most max performance summer tires have outstanding wet grip. They have large circumferential tread grooves and can displace large amounts of water (moreso than all seasons). Only when you get to the extreme performance category does wet grip begin to suffer. This is due to extreme performance tires having less tread to provide a more racing slick like surface. Less tread=more rubber on the road.

A half inch of rainwater will push any tire to its limits, to insinuate that an all season could handle that stress free is nonsense.
Mr. J (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Moisture absolutely matters. A half inch of rainwater is going to make a significant difference in handling.

No **** genious!
However, you are implying that AS tires are somehow superior to Summer tires in the wet. You are wrong.

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/bens-...tires-for-rain

Summer tires are always better than AS tires of the same class in temps above 50F. Rain or dry. There are a few exceptions like Matthew Cohen pointed out. Pilot Cups and racing slicks would be obvious examples of exceptions to the rule.

Again, temp is the primary factor that determines what tires application is best. Precipitation is nowhere near as important.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:03 PM

2019 C43 AMG Coupe
No **** genious!
However, you are implying that AS tires are somehow superior to Summer tires in the wet. You are wrong.

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/bens-...tires-for-rain

Summer tires are always better than AS tires of the same class in temps above 50F. Rain or dry. There are a few exceptions like Matthew Cohen pointed out. Pilot Cups and racing slicks would be obvious examples of exceptions to the rule.

Again, temp is the primary factor that determines what tires application is best. Precipitation is nowhere near as important.

OPs question was whether summer tires could handle in the wet. My response was yes. You then chimed in with your bull**** claim that "moisture doesn't really matter." That claim is much different than what you're saying now, which is that it DOES matter, it's just not as important as temperature. Not once did I say that A/S tires are superior to summer tires in the wet. You seem to be drawing conclusions from my statements that don't exist. Get your **** straight, "genius."
AZFTW (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C43 AMG Coupe
I will take delivery of my new 2020 C43 in April. This will be my new all year car. I live in the Chicago area and plan on replacing the stock summer run flats. (as I did with my 2017 Q60 RS that I am replacing).

My question is should I get All Weather tires or should I get Summer Tires and Snow tires & Wheels?
Old 02-17-2020, 08:44 AM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Loibs
I will take delivery of my new 2020 C43 in April. This will be my new all year car. I live in the Chicago area and plan on replacing the stock summer run flats. (as I did with my 2017 Q60 RS that I am replacing).

My question is should I get All Weather tires or should I get Summer Tires and Snow tires & Wheels?
If you are looking to really push the car in corners I would definitely recommend a summer and winter set. If it's more important to you to have a relatively maintenance free and less "push it to the limit" ownership experience then go all seasons. It depends what kind of driver you are. On all seasons in the past have you been at the point of tire squeal/breaking traction through turns while still looking for more grip? You probably wont be able to break traction (via the gas pedal) in the dry on summer rubber so long as it's about 50F or above. Going with a summer and winter set will cost you a LOT more than sticking will all seasons year round. C43 front suspension doesnt allow too many fitment options for wheels. If you go the summer/winter route I'd recommend skipping the wheels and just having the tires themselves changed on the stock rims. When I had my GTI I burned through a set of Bridgestone S-04 pole positions (max performance summer category) in around 7000 miles. In a c43 if you push hard you could use them up in one summer
Old 02-17-2020, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
common misconception, honestly.

Moisture doesn't really matter it's temperature that does. You can hoon the car with summer tires in the rain as long as the temps are warm. Many summer performance tires will actually have superior grip on warm wet surfaces versus all season. In Socal you should definitely run the PS4s year round. The only reason not to would be if you regularly go up high mountain passes where the temps are below 40F, think Big Bear or Wrightwood.
and this is correct just worded a bit drastic and easily can be taken out of context.

summer tires are superior in most any conditions as long as temperatures permit - which I find to be 40f like stated here. still need to warm the tires up in lower temperatures for them to work as intended.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Matthew Cohen
If you are looking to really push the car in corners I would definitely recommend a summer and winter set. If it's more important to you to have a relatively maintenance free and less "push it to the limit" ownership experience then go all seasons. It depends what kind of driver you are. On all seasons in the past have you been at the point of tire squeal/breaking traction through turns while still looking for more grip? You probably wont be able to break traction (via the gas pedal) in the dry on summer rubber so long as it's about 50F or above. Going with a summer and winter set will cost you a LOT more than sticking will all seasons year round. C43 front suspension doesnt allow too many fitment options for wheels. If you go the summer/winter route I'd recommend skipping the wheels and just having the tires themselves changed on the stock rims. When I had my GTI I burned through a set of Bridgestone S-04 pole positions (max performance summer category) in around 7000 miles. In a c43 if you push hard you could use them up in one summer
I could easily break traction with the stock conti summer rf in any conditions just pushing hard on the twisties. The AS3+ are slightly gripier in all conditions even though the stock tires were technically a stickier compound. I swapped with my wife this week and have been pushing the GLC a little bit. The Conti DWS06 on there are pretty good but they are not at settled in the corners at the AS3+. They are pretty nice in the rain, slush and dry cold temps. I haven't run them on any real ice or snow yet.

I think with a W205 in Chicago, I'd rotate Summer and Winter sets but I drive a lot. If you don't put that many miles on it in the winter you could probably get away with AS3+. You'll need to be careful once the slush turns to snow and ice. They are not winter tires and this will be very apparent if you try to push it when the surfaces are icy.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:09 AM

C450 AMG
I could easily break traction with the stock conti summer rf in any conditions just pushing hard on the twisties.
Maybe our cars behave differently (2016 c450 here). I know the 43s have a 31/69 front/rear split where the 450 has a 33/66 split. Unless its wet, in S+, TC off (obvi) I find it difficult to oversteer on stock all seasons. Cant imagine breaking the rear loose on summers that are properly warmed up. My only experience is with non RF summers, but I don't believe that would be the primary factor.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by Matthew Cohen
Maybe our cars behave differently (2016 c450 here). I know the 43s have a 31/69 front/rear split where the 450 has a 33/66 split. Unless its wet, in S+, TC off (obvi) I find it difficult to oversteer on stock all seasons. Cant imagine breaking the rear loose on summers that are properly warmed up. My only experience is with non RF summers, but I don't believe that would be the primary factor.
my c450 was even easier to break loose. steering angle and throttle = sideways. c450 had a lot more low end torque and better gearing for that type of thing than my 19 despite the torque split.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by Sailorlite

Just wondering, what would gently used (4k miles) of the stock run flats go for second hand?
Old 02-20-2020, 12:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
GLA250 4Matic, 911 Carrera S, R1250 GS Adv.
I sold my Pirellis with 2,800 miles for $160 - and I think I was very lucky to do so.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG GTS , AMG C43
Originally Posted by JonWu
Just wondering, what would gently used (4k miles) of the stock run flats go for second hand?
I just took the RFs off my wife's new C43 to replace them with all-seasons because its a daily driver. The tires have about 1000 miles on them. They are the Continental ContiSportContacts which several people have said are a much better riding tire than the Pirellis. I've had many different cars with many different RFs and I can tell you these feel the closest to non-RFs of any I've driven. I actually would have used them if we didn't need at least one vehicle with more all-season capability. These tires are basically brand new and I'll sell them for $300, plus shipping. So, even with shipping, that should be about half of new.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by alexasa
my c450 was even easier to break loose. steering angle and throttle = sideways. c450 had a lot more low end torque and better gearing for that type of thing than my 19 despite the torque split.

Did you ever run PSS or PS4s on your C450? I've never run top shelf on mine. Just the stockers and the AS3+.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Petegtsv10
I just took the RFs off my wife's new C43 to replace them with all-seasons because its a daily driver. The tires have about 1000 miles on them. They are the Continental ContiSportContacts which several people have said are a much better riding tire than the Pirellis. I've had many different cars with many different RFs and I can tell you these feel the closest to non-RFs of any I've driven. I actually would have used them if we didn't need at least one vehicle with more all-season capability. These tires are basically brand new and I'll sell them for $300, plus shipping. So, even with shipping, that should be about half of new.

LOL, nice sales pitch!

The contis are terrible buddy, but that doesn't matter you can still sell them pretty easy. Someone on here will wind up needing a set for a lease turn in. That's your market
Old 02-21-2020, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Did you ever run PSS or PS4s on your C450? I've never run top shelf on mine. Just the stockers and the AS3+.
I ran a hankook evo HPS in 275 and still had no issue breaking it loose. And then/now I am running a continental extreme contact sport which is a bit more grip despite being a 265 and it can also break loose with steering angle and WOT.

The conti's are great tires for about 20% less than the michelins

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about tires