Sponsored by:

Leaking rear shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43
Leaking rear shocks

Took my car in for service and was told both rear shocks are leaking and will be replaced under warranty. Is this a common issue on our c43’s? Should they be doing an alignment after changing the shocks? Car only has 16,000 miles on it!
Old 02-26-2020, 03:35 PM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by shaungrey
Took my car in for service and was told both rear shocks are leaking and will be replaced under warranty. Is this a common issue on our c43’s? Should they be doing an alignment after changing the shocks? Car only has 16,000 miles on it!
Changing out any suspension should warrant an alignment job, but if I am paying for it, shocks aren't needed.

Lowering springs on other hand changes the height while resting and will need an alignment.

Try demanding one but I wouldn't push it to ruin your relationship with the dealer.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
Originally Posted by shaungrey
few months ago I had to change both rear shocks because they were leaking. Today in the service they told me again the rear shocks are leaking. please help me , What could be happening?
Old 07-31-2021, 05:27 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
When I had my H&R sport springs fitted garage told me the left rear shock had a slight leak.
So sounds like a common problem.
As my car is lowered doubt it will covered under warranty now 🙄
Old 08-02-2021, 10:14 PM

C43 AMG
In the service recently told me that daily use of the sport + suspension on the road could be the cause of shock absorber failure , because it should be use only in closed tracks. what do you think about this?
Old 08-03-2021, 03:30 AM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by newlocoman
In the service recently told me that daily use of the sport + suspension on the road could be the cause of shock absorber failure , because it should be use only in closed tracks. what do you think about this?
I think that is BS. There is nothing in the manual that warns of such a thing and even if it were true, then it is stupid on Mercedes to even put that Sport+ button there if it was not mechanically designed to withstand it. The C43 is not an all out sports car or a pure track car, so that should not be an excuse.

I also had leaking rear shocks and leaking differential as well when I took my car in for its 1st year service. They changed it out and everything was covered under warranty of course, but that's still not good.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:37 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Ramsino
I think that is BS. There is nothing in the manual that warns of such a thing and even if it were true, then it is stupid on Mercedes to even put that Sport+ button there if it was not mechanically designed to withstand it. The C43 is not an all out sports car or a pure track car, so that should not be an excuse.

I also had leaking rear shocks and leaking differential as well when I took my car in for its 1st year service. They changed it out and everything was covered under warranty of course, but that's still not good.
I agree with you, but they sent me to review page 243 of my user manual and there it explicitly says that the sport + mode should only be used on closed tracks. I'm going to change the shock absorbers again, but I don't want it to happen to me again
Old 08-03-2021, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
I've been lowered for 2+ years driving to work in, exclusively, sports+ mode on roads under construction with no issues.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by alexasa
I've been lowered for 2+ years driving to work in, exclusively, sports+ mode on roads under construction with no issues.
Same here - just rolled 60k miles, almost all in S+
Old 08-03-2021, 12:12 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by newlocoman
I agree with you, but they sent me to review page 243 of my user manual and there it explicitly says that the sport + mode should only be used on closed tracks. I'm going to change the shock absorbers again, but I don't want it to happen to me again
Dang you are right! I do remember reading this in the manual now. I thought that this was the case due to less traction control and that being dangerous on public roads, but I didn't expect this to mean that it would affect the shocks.