Sponsored by:

Best Tires for Daily Driver C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C43 Sedan
Best Tires for Daily Driver C43

Hi all, new 2018 C43 owner w/18" wheels here. I know the tire subject has been beaten to death but I'm looking for some guidance. I see many people saying to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, however this car is a daily driver and will probably see 20-25,000km per year. I'm also in Canada, so there are times when the temperature goes below 7 degrees Celsius and I may not have the winter tires on the car yet. I also can't see having to put a new set of these on the car every 1.5-2 years at $1300 CAD/set. Even though I don't need the all-season rating, it seems this leaves the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ as the only option for good performance with longish tread life. Am I missing anything? This is my second car with factory run-flats, and though I find the suspension compliant enough in Comfort mode, it seems these tires transmit a ton of NVH into the cabin even on relatively smooth roads with "rough" asphalt. Is assume this is the cause of most complaints. My OEM tires still have good tread so I was thinking to change them now so I can still sell them for decent price and recoup some costs.

Thoughts?
Old 05-20-2020, 12:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C43
I put Pilot Sport AS+3 on my 2019 C43 and have been 100% satisfied. The perfect tires for this car.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:42 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Acura TL-SH, among others
Test results for all the Ultra High Performance tires in the OEM size, plus the ability to see video on each of them. You can pick what's most important to you.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=241
Old 05-20-2020, 10:10 PM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
How do performance all seasons compare to summer tires? I am currently using Conti ExtremeContact Sport, which are great, but I want to test out the Michelin PS4S once the Conti's get run down.

Lately, I have been thinking of going for all-season tires instead as they may yield better results if half the year is low 10's (celsius) and a quarter is on Winters.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:13 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Egghaus
Even though I don't need the all-season rating, it seems this leaves the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ as the only option for good performance with longish tread life.
Looks like you already have this figured out. What you need is some encouragement.

The A/S 3+ is one of the best tires you can buy, period. It would be ideal for what you need in a tire, also. No need to overthink it..get the A/S 3's.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:14 AM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 GLS 450 SUV / 2020 BMW X5 X40I
If you don’t care about run flats I would buy the nitto motivo tire. It’s cheaper it sticks to the road and lasts. If you want to replace your tires every 10k miles then you can get pilots.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:39 AM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
016 c450 AMG
Hi all, new 2018 C43 owner w/18" wheels here. I know the tire subject has been beaten to death but I'm looking for some guidance. I see many people saying to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, however this car is a daily driver and will probably see 20-25,000km per year. I'm also in Canada, so there are times when the temperature goes below 7 degrees Celsius and I may not have the winter tires on the car yet. I also can't see having to put a new set of these on the car every 1.5-2 years at $1300 CAD/set. Even though I don't need the all-season rating, it seems this leaves the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ as the only option for good performance with longish tread life. Am I missing anything? This is my second car with factory run-flats, and though I find the suspension compliant enough in Comfort mode, it seems these tires transmit a ton of NVH into the cabin even on relatively smooth roads with "rough" asphalt. Is assume this is the cause of most complaints. My OEM tires still have good tread so I was thinking to change them now so I can still sell them for decent price and recoup some costs.

Thoughts?
My last 3 cars were an M5, Audi S4 and a CTSv..All ended up with Michelin AS tires...My C450 will have them this summer..Depending on how much snow you deal with, you will probably need winters also.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
19E450A, 16C450W4, 16RRS SC Dynamic, etc
I went with Vredestein Quatrac Pros. The A/S 3+ perform a bit better in the summer, but the Quatrac Pros gain the 3PMSF, and appear to have considerably better winter traction. They're still better than the Continental OEM all-seasons in the dry/wet (summer, etc). FWIW, I put a slightly ridiculous amount of research into the decision.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
I am in the same situation as you. My RF are running out soon so I have been reading up on the info. Although verdict has a lot of positives for PS4S, I think I would go with AS3+ for the following reasons. See if any of these suit you:
- I will get quite some time between 0C to 10C with light rain before and after months of winter tire days in Toronto. Especially on early mornings of these cool and damp days, I would probably feel safer to be commuting in the AS3+.
- I enjoy some spirited runs on rural roads with light traffic but I don't track, so I won't be pushing the tire performance enough to feel the difference from the PS4S.
- AS3+ is a bit cheaper
- I don't have a warm place to store the more delicate PS4S compound. Hopefully, the AS3+ is more tolerant to non-heated covered space during the cold winters.
The following users liked this post:
TheH1000 (03-27-2023)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
I am running Lexani LX-Twenty's, which are a budget set of high performance tires. You can get a staggered set of 4 for under $400.

I have no complaints with these tires, they perform better then the RFTs I took off.

Last edited by z0lt3c; 05-21-2020 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:46 PM

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Love my PS4S
The following users liked this post:
Sailorlite (05-23-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 01:22 PM

MB C43
I run staggered budget tires for summer on the AMG 19 inch rims called Aventi and I am satisfied for about $600 all four including tax.
my car is not tuned so only goes about 220km/h full out and I don’t do that very often.
typically I drive around 120 km/h on highway and never drive hard or fast around town.
i crack and pop for the first two gears and done at best.
i run different rims and tires for winter.
i HATE the run flats. I took those off immediately
I have a repair system and a pump in the trunk and for 4 years I have roadside assistance so run flats are out 100%.
may as well drive on wood as run flats. Horrible.
the guys in my Mercedes dealership exchange looks when it comes to my tires but I don’t track my car and I don’t need performance rubber to drive 60 km/h in a city. My tires are W rated and quiet and do the job for my second summer- but will change them after this season.
Pilots staggered were almost 1600 with tax and I really don’t put the speed or spirited driving into the car to warrant the money.
WHEN I tune, I will put something better on the car but right now it’s just not warranted and I am satisfied.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by DLinddd
Love my PS4S
Ditto. On my second set and will continue to use.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG
I'd really like to see a review comparison of Michelin PS4S vs some of the cheaper performance tires. On Walmart.com you can get 225/40/19 "sport performance" tires for under $100. The guy at Wheels America where I took my OEM wheels to get repaired said that's all he uses on his BMW. I looked at the tires on it in the parking lot, they don't look that bad. For like 70% less than the PS4S...things that make you go hmm...
Old 05-23-2020, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 326 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing

Thoughts?
Correct. Based on your requirements, PS A/S 3+ is an ideal and the best choice.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:44 AM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
Try Firestone Indy500, but you would need to run separate winter tires for Canada winters.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:11 PM

MB C43
The Firestone Indy500 are my next set for summer.
read great reviews for the price point and the tread design looks interesting
at one time I would run all season tires year round but being in Canada I have preferred dedicated summer and winters on their own sets of rims so it’s a very simple afternoon job of swapping them around in the garage.
I’ll get 2 years or sometimes 3 for each set before needing new rubber for summers. 3 years for winter because there is no higher speed driving and even less casual driving. HATE winter
i would recommend following a similar pattern of dedicated sets because it makes for less worry.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:39 PM

2018 C43 Sedan
Yes this is my struggle. I fully intend to run dedicated snows, I live in a rural area where the roads aren't always cleared right away. I just seems silly to buy an all season tire if I'm running dedicated summer/winter setups. I just can't deal with such short tread life. Also the price delta between PS4s and AS3s seems much greater in Canada than the USA, $350 CAD vs maybe $100 USD.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43

Thoughts?

If you intend to push the car a bit then get the AS3+. If your driving style is more chill the Conti DWS06 will last a bit longer while providing slightly better traction in cold mucky conditions. The Contis do give up a little bit of performance vs the Michelins.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Yes this is my struggle. I fully intend to run dedicated snows, I live in a rural area where the roads aren't always cleared right away. I just seems silly to buy an all season tire if I'm running dedicated summer/winter setups. I just can't deal with such short tread life. Also the price delta between PS4s and AS3s seems much greater in Canada than the USA, $350 CAD vs maybe $100 USD.

If you plan to run dedicated winter then just put pilot 4s on for Summer. This is a no-brainer.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:54 PM

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
I recommend the General G-Max AS-05 (which was recommended to me on this forum). I run a set on my E63 in nyc which has been great throughout the 4 seasons. Very affordable and great performance for a DD. I previously had Michelin Pilot Sports o and although the summer performance was great, its handling in rainy conditions wasn't so good, and its costly especially since I had to change all 4 every 10k-12k miles. The E63 is typically not driven during the winter but the g-max can handle light snow and is excellent in rain. My driving style isn't overly aggressive but I do open it up on empty highways for my short commutes or heading out to weekend home, no racing or track. Comfort is exactly the same as any other tires I have ran and my estimated wear down on these would be over 20k miles (almost double the pilot sports).

Currently on my C43, still running on the stock run flat continentals and have a set of dedicated snow tires. When its time to replace the continentals, it will be a set of G-max AS-05.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:46 PM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by Mr. J
If you plan to run dedicated winter then just put pilot 4s on for Summer. This is a no-brainer.
Why is it a no brainer buying set of Michelin that's marked up more then 30% for $2000 in Canada that only lasts 20k kms?
Old 05-25-2020, 08:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
Agreed. Actually, what's the downside of running the all seasons during summer and have a winter set for Canadian winters?

There is actually a period of time when it's cold and wet early in the morning and right before night while mid day is warm. If you have quite a distance to commute on a daily basis during rush hour, it's likely better to be in the all seasons.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:49 PM

2018 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by mcschan86
Agreed. Actually, what's the downside of running the all seasons during summer and have a winter set for Canadian winters?

There is actually a period of time when it's cold and wet early in the morning and right before night while mid day is warm. If you have quite a distance to commute on a daily basis during rush hour, it's likely better to be in the all seasons.
Yes, we had a very slow spring this year. Low single digit Temps and wet in the morning, but up to mid-teens during the day. Too cold in the morning for summers, and too warm in the afternoon for winters. Then all of a sudden it's 30 degrees Celsius the next day.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 326 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Keep in mind that PilotSport A/S 3+ is essentially a summer like performance tire (as a matter of fact, it outperform many dedicated summer only tires, including all budget tires above) with A/S compound that enables it to be used in low temperatures. It is NOT nearly as good in snow as other A/S tires, especially DWS06 (not to mention dedicated winters) because it is first and foremost an UHP tire. For a daily driver with OP's yearly mileage, I would use it over PS4S even in FL, the fact that OP is in Canada, IMHO makes it an easy choice (and it is clear that OP knows it).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Tires for Daily Driver C43