C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Order a face lift 2021 in the fall or wait for next gen 2022???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC43, C43
Order a face lift 2021 in the fall or wait for next gen 2022???

Looong story short. I had a 981 Cayman S. Loved it but HATED the whole 2 car set up. Found myself driving "the other car" far too often. Got a 2018 GLC43 and my gf a C43. Got the SUV because I have a 50lb Belgian Malinois I take with me a lot. Just couldn't love the GLC long term though. It was luxurious and quick but I still felt like I was driving a soccer mom SUV. Bought a 2019 Tacoma a year later, totally different direction than German luxury/sports cars. Great vehicle. Bullet proof. Practical. Fits all my needs.... except my love of European speed and luxury.

Looked at 2020 GLC43 and C43 again yesterday. Both drove great. C43 ripped. Loved the Performance Exhaust. GCL was exactly as it was before... fun, quick, beautiful but still lacked the cool factor my Cayman had.I fear I would "settle" by getting it. So I think I am interested in a C43 though wait til the 21s can be ordered to ge the new grille, MBUX and exact spec. Buuuut, 22 is the new C class isn't it? I am not so worried about the engine change. I don't get caught up in the number of cylinders/size of engines like some folks. the 718 Cayman turbo 4 is still badass like the 981 6 cylinder. I have friends that swore they'd hate the Ford eco boost and now love it.

Question is... build a 21 C43 later this year or wait for the next gen? I could wait another year I suppose but engine aside (I am sure performance will still be great regardless) will it be worth it? I know it is all rumor and speculation about what is coming in 22 (are AMG's even coming in MY22 or just C300?). I am sure some style difference externally, new interior lay out, engine will be different but I am sure still plenty for me hence why I am not even considering a 63, tech is great and I am sure still will be. It's like I hesitate only because I know (and only an enthusiast would know or care) that I dont have the most current generation of the car.

FWIW the back seats of my truck where the dog rides are very, very similar in size to the back seat of a C/GLC so I don't think that will be an issue and she is an obedient working dog so besides cleaning up some shedding I have no worries about damage to the back when protected with cover.

Or can anyone convince me a murdered out black GLC43 with performance exhaust is a mean, man's set up? Haha
Old 06-12-2020, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 983 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by adam2433
Looong story short. I had a 981 Cayman S. Loved it but HATED the whole 2 car set up. Found myself driving "the other car" far too often. Got a 2018 GLC43 and my gf a C43. Got the SUV because I have a 50lb Belgian Malinois I take with me a lot. Just couldn't love the GLC long term though. It was luxurious and quick but I still felt like I was driving a soccer mom SUV. Bought a 2019 Tacoma a year later, totally different direction than German luxury/sports cars. Great vehicle. Bullet proof. Practical. Fits all my needs.... except my love of European speed and luxury.

Looked at 2020 GLC43 and C43 again yesterday. Both drove great. C43 ripped. Loved the Performance Exhaust. GCL was exactly as it was before... fun, quick, beautiful but still lacked the cool factor my Cayman had.I fear I would "settle" by getting it. So I think I am interested in a C43 though wait til the 21s can be ordered to ge the new grille, MBUX and exact spec. Buuuut, 22 is the new C class isn't it? I am not so worried about the engine change. I don't get caught up in the number of cylinders/size of engines like some folks. the 718 Cayman turbo 4 is still badass like the 981 6 cylinder. I have friends that swore they'd hate the Ford eco boost and now love it.

Question is... build a 21 C43 later this year or wait for the next gen? I could wait another year I suppose but engine aside (I am sure performance will still be great regardless) will it be worth it? I know it is all rumor and speculation about what is coming in 22 (are AMG's even coming in MY22 or just C300?). I am sure some style difference externally, new interior lay out, engine will be different but I am sure still plenty for me hence why I am not even considering a 63, tech is great and I am sure still will be. It's like I hesitate only because I know (and only an enthusiast would know or care) that I dont have the most current generation of the car.

FWIW the back seats of my truck where the dog rides are very, very similar in size to the back seat of a C/GLC so I don't think that will be an issue and she is an obedient working dog so besides cleaning up some shedding I have no worries about damage to the back when protected with cover.

Or can anyone convince me a murdered out black GLC43 with performance exhaust is a mean, man's set up? Haha
Pass on the GLC, you've been there. Don't force it, I've done that before, try the same car again trying to force myself to like it. Also, a GLC 43 will never be a "mean" man's set up. You will need a 63 for that. "Murdered" or not.

As for the C43, I would lease a 2020 (24/30 mos?) and let the gremlins in the W206 work themselves out. By the time your lease is up the new gen will be well into production. These new releases are packed with tech, it seems like year one releases are plagued. Also, we do not really know what the new power plants will be. You may end up liking the W205 better.
The following 4 users liked this post by places:
jevsays (06-12-2020), jonathan358 (06-14-2020), MarsRedCLK (06-17-2020), PFEAMG (06-16-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 09:34 AM

GLC43, C43
Originally Posted by places
Pass on the GLC, you've been there. Don't force it, I've done that before, try the same car again trying to force myself to like it. Also, a GLC 43 will never be a "mean" man's set up. You will need a 63 for that. "Murdered" or not.

As for the C43, I would lease a 2020 (24/30 mos?) and let the gremlins in the W206 work themselves out. By the time your lease is up the new gen will be well into production. These new releases are packed with tech, it seems like year one releases are plagued. Also, we do not really know what the new power plants will be. You may end up liking the W205 better.
You make some really good points. Especially the "forcing it". Definitely what I feel like I am doing after you calling it out. I have never leased but it is an interesting idea because I do agree with your points about 1st year releases of new models. Be happy now with the refreshed 21 through lease or buy and can always trade in down the road if I decide I like new model better.

Thanks for the thoughts!
The following users liked this post:
places (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Agreed on the 24-36mo lease. Get whichever from whoever will give you the better deal on. Once the w206 is released, customers and dealers will be hot to trot to move them. While you might not get a crazy deal, dealers will likely play very nice to keep you in the family with a new signature on the dotted line.
jevsays (06-12-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 Acura TLX

If the rumors are true, both C AMGs would get a 4 cylinder in the W206 generation 😨. I don't know if I can deal with that...what's the point when BMW and Audi are still doing 6 cylinders. I just drove a BMW M340i and it was brutally fast. I've been trying to drive a C43 locally but the small local dealership sold both of theirs. I'd wait till the 2021s get here (apparently the changeover to the W206 will be for the 2022 model year) and then try to score a killer deal on a 2020 model...or hell even on a 2021 if possible.

Last edited by CisternaChyli; 06-13-2020 at 06:40 PM. Reason: add word
Old 06-13-2020, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CisternaChyli
If the rumors are true, both C AMGs would get a 4 cylinder in the W206 generation 😨. I don't know if I can deal with that...what's the point when BMW and Audi are still doing 6 cylinders. I just drove a BMW M340i and it was brutally fast. I've been trying to drive a C43 locally but the small local dealership sold both of theirs. I'd wait till the 2021s get here (apparently the changeover to the W206 will be for the 2022 model year) and then try to score a killer deal on a 2020 model...or hell even on a 2021 if possible.
M340i is a hell of a car for the money. Seriously fast. It's a real competitor to the C43, anyone considering a C43 should definitely test out the M340i.

If they go 4 cylinder all across its really game over as far as I'm concerned for that lineup. Could care less about how much more hp a hybrid adds. They can keep it.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:15 PM

GLC43, C43
I owned BMW before and had too many issues. Completely turned me off on the brand even though they do have some great vehicles.

I personally dont care about the size of the engine and I bet 90% of people wouldn't know by driving it. Everyone online gets too caught up on numbers. Why anyone would be so adamantly against a lighter, faster, more fuel efficient car (or truck the like Ford ecoboost) is beyond me. I judge a car by how it feels when driving, not by what the numbers on paper say. But to each there own and good thing there are lots of choices.

I suppose I will at least wait to hear the 2022 announcement to see what the offerings are (if there will even be AMGs first year). I dont want a 2020. Id like a 2021 with the touch screen and panamericana grille but that is only something I heard the salesman say and the depreciation to buy and trade in after a year is too much for my taste. We will see. I am in no rush.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:55 PM

2015 Acura TLX
I owned BMW before and had too many issues. Completely turned me off on the brand even though they do have some great vehicles.

I personally dont care about the size of the engine and I bet 90% of people wouldn't know by driving it. Everyone online gets too caught up on numbers. Why anyone would be so adamantly against a lighter, faster, more fuel efficient car (or truck the like Ford ecoboost) is beyond me. I judge a car by how it feels when driving, not by what the numbers on paper say. But to each there own and good thing there are lots of choices.

I suppose I will at least wait to hear the 2022 announcement to see what the offerings are (if there will even be AMGs first year). I dont want a 2020. Id like a 2021 with the touch screen and panamericana grille but that is only something I heard the salesman say and the depreciation to buy and trade in after a year is too much for my taste. We will see. I am in no rush.
My Dad has a 2014 BMW 328i sport and it has been great. He bought it new and no real issues to speak of, other than regular maintenance and the taillight bulb going out. Also, early on, he had a fuse replaced. Main issues have been body damage and whatnot. He had two C250s before he got the BMW and both got wrecked in side impact accidents. He became superstitious and swore off Mercedes, but he did like the cars. I just helped my folks buy a fairly loaded 2020 BMW X5 sDrive40i last December and man that thing is boss. Its not even Xdrive nor the super hi po model but it goes like stink. Beautiful interior and all the techno gadgets you'd want. I think the BMW of yore had issues but right now they are pretty solid.

I am going to look hard at the 2021 C43. I can't seem to find a 2020 model to drive though, but once I do, I will report back. I'm also considering the S5 sportback, but I've heard it doesn't drive as great, but it is pretty to look at.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:13 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
20 E350, 19 E300, 18 C43, 17 E250, 14 ML350 , 13 C300 , 11 C350

The Ecoboost for example sounds terrible, much like any 4 pot car. Hence why AMG , M & any higher performance brand provide their production cars with larger engines - because the market has demanded it. The sad part is, we are moving into the era of soulless vehicles without any signature sounding engines and a heavier focus on driving assists and infotainment. Step backwards for car enthusiasts, step forward for the larger market that doesn't care.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but the Koenigsegg Jesko will be able to run on Bio Fuel & keep the V8. Could be a positive sign for the future of engines.

Last edited by MrBane; 06-14-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll take that bet. Big difference between an eight and a four. Not even close. Eight cylinder is far more effortless and smooth, four makes the engine work really hard for it. You will especially notice it at kickdown, particularly at higher speeds. To state 90% of people can't tell the difference is absolutely wrong. More like 90% of the people that actually have had an eight will notice the difference. Especially if you are coming from an AMG with an eight.

Perhaps if you are just looking for an AMG that goes fast and has a badge then you probably wouldn't know the difference or care, but for the true enthusiast it matters.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MrBane
The Ecoboost for example sounds terrible, much like any 4 pot car. Hence why AMG , M & any higher performance brand provide their production cars with larger engines - because the market has demanded it. The sad part is, we are moving into the era of soulless vehicles without any signature sounding engines and a focus heavier focus on driving assists and infotainment. Step backwards for car enthusiasts, step forward for the larger market that doesn't care.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but the Koenigsegg Jesko will be able to run on Bio Fuel & keep the V8. Could be a positive sign for the future of engines.
Really well stated. Larger market that doesn't care, give them an AMG badge, flashy dashboard and they'll buy it. Clueless as to what the difference is between an eight, six and a four.

I'm still holding out hope for the eights.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:20 AM

2015 Acura TLX
Originally Posted by MrBane
The Ecoboost for example sounds terrible, much like any 4 pot car. Hence why AMG , M & any higher performance brand provide their production cars with larger engines - because the market has demanded it. The sad part is, we are moving into the era of soulless vehicles without any signature sounding engines and a focus heavier focus on driving assists and infotainment. Step backwards for car enthusiasts, step forward for the larger market that doesn't care.

I drove a Tesla Model 3 last year and I thought it was pretty fun; it had that cool Jetsons-like sound and it rode very nice. The interior was so bland though. I've experienced Ludicrous mode in a Model S and its mind-bending...but how many times can you do that on a public street?! I wouldn't mind getting an EV as a commuter car, but after driving that M340i today, damn I still want a good old ICE with the noise!
Old 06-14-2020, 03:23 AM

2015 Acura TLX

I doubt there will be any changes to the 2021 model year for the W205. The MBUX with a touch screen would be nice. I'm surprised they didn't put it in for 2020; the GLC has it. What I would like is for the I6 from the E53 to show up in a potential C53 for the W206 generation. That would be ideal. I'm worried they are gonna shove one of those 4 bangers from the CLA/A AMGs into the C class .
PFEAMG (06-16-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CisternaChyli
I doubt there will be any changes to the 2021 model year for the W205. The MBUX with a touch screen would be nice. I'm surprised they didn't put it in for 2020; the GLC has it. What I would like is for the I6 from the E53 to show up in a potential C53 for the W206 generation. That would be ideal. I'm worried they are gonna shove one of those 4 bangers from the CLA/A AMGs into the C class .
I6 from the 53 would be the perfect engine for the interim C AMG model.
PFEAMG (06-16-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 08:36 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I was reading that the E and S coupe will be discontinued for there next generation. So hopefully they give the c coupes the rear windows that go down and the E53 drivetrain. But they might only offer that in the 63. Or no more 63 it becomes 53. Are 43 become a 4cy turbo. If that I’m out. I will migrate to the bmw M440i or m4 if the finances allow.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jim04clk
I was reading that the E and S coupe will be discontinued for there next generation. So hopefully they give the c coupes the rear windows that go down and the E53 drivetrain. But they might only offer that in the 63. Or no more 63 it becomes 53. Are 43 become a 4cy turbo. If that I’m out. I will migrate to the bmw M440i or m4 if the finances allow.
They won't drop the 63. Will there be a C coupe is the question. As to cylinders, who knows. MB had gotten pretty goofy.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:08 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
There will definitely be a C coupe. That’s been confirmed.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jim04clk
There will definitely be a C coupe. That’s been confirmed.
Cool, hope they get it right.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:03 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500

It's not about the numbers . It's about the enjoyment and visceral experience you get from having a raw, characterful engine . Every owner and road tester knows the M276 is a great engine, as V6 turbos go it's one of the best sounding there is by far. This is very important in an AMG.
Otherwise you may as well get a Tesla Model 3 Performance.
Having 2.0 4 pot hybrid fart machine would be a major downgrade over the current 3.0 bi turbo.
Mercedes- AMG are not going down the 4 cylinder hybrid route by choice, it is being forced on them by EU emissions regulations.
If you look at Porsche, outside of China, 718 sales tanked with the introduction of the bland 2.0 flat 4 which was no where near as nice as the 3.4 Flat 6. Hence the re introduction of the Flat 6 GTS Model.
The following 4 users liked this post by AhEmGee:
MrBane (06-14-2020), PFEAMG (06-16-2020), places (06-15-2020), Sailorlite (06-17-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 03:39 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Originally Posted by places
"let the gremlins in the W206 work themselves out.
I know about those Mercedes first MY gremlins. There are endless MBWorld threads about the problems of the 2015 W205's. I had most of them, except the ones relating to the sunroof. (I was foresighted enough to order my C300 without a sunroof, specifically to avoid problems.) I didn't lose anything out of pocket, and I'm retired, so running back and forth to the dealer wasn't a big deal. But driving my wife's little Hyundai for periods as long as over three weeks got old. (That was for rebuilding the bottom end of the engine on account of the Dreaded Wrist-pin Rattle.)
places (06-15-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 08:35 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Just get rid of the dog and the gf. Then get a GTS

Last edited by waisoserious; 06-16-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:06 AM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
2020 GLS450, 2022 SL55 AMG, 2022 C300

There is a very little change on 2021 C-Class, especially AMG models. Actually a lot of features will be discontinued, except this new C300 Night Edition and a few more changes. Watch this:
Old 06-17-2020, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
As said by somebody else already, big engines are not about the raw number of cylinders per se. They are actually about how they feel and drive and for many of us how they sound. The bigger the engine, the smoother and more effortless it becomes. It just so happens that these attributes are a direct function of the number and size of the cylinders. It's just a very different experience to move about in a V8 vs an I4 in terms of refinement, feel etc.

The major issue with small engines is that in order to make the power the market demands, they need to use large turbos and a lot of boost. This makes the turbo lag a real issue. Inline engines also can't use the short piping Hot-V turbo design like V6 and V8 engines can, further increasing turbo lag. Also these engines due to the large turbos have a very non-linear response. Down low they are a dog, and then as soon as the turbo kicks in you get that hockey stick response and immediately have to reduce throttle input, because the power delivery is no longer proportional to the amount of throttle travel. I was a long time Audi customer and test drove the RS3 and TTRS to see how they feel. Great sounding 5-cyl engine, but horrible turbo lag. They are prime examples for what I'm describing here. Now, this is what hybrid is supposed to address. In order to bridge the lag, electric motors can be used to spool the turbos or provide the initial power and torque until the engine is on the boil and can join in. Some exciting cars in this space like the Koenigsegg Regara and the new Gemera. The latter has a 2 liter 3-cylinder engine making 600hp, but with the help of electric motors the total system power is 1700hp, the vast majority coming from its electric motors.

I also feel we are moving into the age of soulless cars. Companies like Koenigsegg make million dollar cars where they can go all out, but the mass market won't see anything as exciting. For example the 3-cyl engine in the Gemera uses large cylinders to achieve the 2 liter displacement and that's primarily for sound. Christian von Koenigsegg ensures the car sounds great.

We'll see what AMG has to offer in this space. The AMG One is certainly an exciting hybrid performance car, but nothing like we'll see in this segment.

As for W205 vs W206 I would say there is a real chance the W206 might get delayed due to COVID and the W205 may get extended. Things are very much in limbo at the moment. I'll be enjoying my '19 C63S coupe in the meantime and I'll see what the future brings. For now I'm not very optimistic. The noise and emission regulations in Europe are largely killing what has been exciting about AMGs etc.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-17-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superswiss
As said by somebody else already, big engines are not about the raw number of cylinders per se. They are actually about how they feel and drive and for many of us how they sound. The bigger the engine, the smoother and more effortless it becomes. It just so happens that these attributes are a direct function of the number and size of the cylinders. It's just a very different experience to move about in a V8 vs an I4 in terms of refinement, feel etc.

The major issue with small engines is that in order to make the power the market demands, they need to use large turbos and a lot of boost. This makes the turbo lag a real issue. Inline engines also can't use the short piping Hot-V turbo design like V6 and V8 engines can, further increasing turbo lag. Also these engines due to the large turbos have a very non-linear response. Down low they are a dog, and then as soon as the turbo kicks in you get that hockey stick response and immediately have to reduce throttle input, because the power delivery is no longer proportional to the amount of throttle travel. I was a long time Audi customer and test drove the RS3 and TTRS to see how they feel. Great sounding 5-cyl engine, but horrible turbo lag. They are prime examples for what I'm describing here. Now, this is what hybrid is supposed to address. In order to bridge the lag, electric motors can be used to spool the turbos or provide the initial power and torque until the engine is on the boil and can join in. Some exciting cars in this space like the Koenigsegg Regara and the new Gemera. The latter has a 2 liter 3-cylinder engine making 600hp, but with the help of electric motors the total system power is 1700hp, the vast majority coming from its electric motors.

I also feel we are moving into the age of soulless cars. Companies like Koenigsegg make million dollar cars where they can go all out, but the mass market won't see anything as exciting. For example the 3-cyl engine in the Gemera uses large cylinders to achieve the 2 liter displacement and that's primarily for sound. Christian von Koenigsegg ensures the car sounds great.

We'll see what AMG has to offer in this space. The AMG One is certainly an exciting hybrid performance car, but nothing like we'll see in this segment.

As for W205 vs W206 I would say there is a real chance the W206 might get delayed due to COVID and the W205 may get extended. Things are very much in limbo at the moment. I'll be enjoying my '19 C63S coupe in the meantime and I'll see what the future brings. For now I'm not very optimistic. The noise and emission regulations in Europe are largely killing what has been exciting about AMGs etc.
This is really well explained. I had read a while ago about the hybrid picking up the "bridge' on the lag but totally forgot about that. The EU influence on the auto industry has been a real killer for enthusiasts. I wonder how many people will keep their current line up after they see the next releases of most AMG's with hybrid motors and muted exhausts.

Personally I have nothing against a four banger, it's fine for running around town as a daily driver/beater but to compare? No way, not even close to an eight that provides a more linear and constant pull.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:08 PM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
One thing to look forward to is that the new 4cyl should have an electric turbo charger? Supposedly, Formula 1 tech - so who knows, might be phenomenal haha. Crossing fingers, of course.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Order a face lift 2021 in the fall or wait for next gen 2022???