C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tale of 2 Cities: Different style Panamericana Grills on the Market (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 08:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
C43 Coupe
Tale of 2 Cities: Different style Panamericana Grills on the Market (w/pics)

I was up in the air on after market Panamericana/ GT R style grills for the w205 until I saw a live C63 FL. I must say in person it does look good! aggressive and different. I was worried about it looking like a Buick/ Audi or egg crate grill. I believe what makes it "work" visually is the symbiotic visual harmony between the thickness of the bars, the spacing between them and the profile curvature of the bars themselves.

I wanted this look, but something was off with SOME of the grills on the market and I couldn't put my finger on it through the pics online. I decided to order ac couple from different sources and BAM! I found out.

there are 2 different profiles to the aftermarket grills out there. see pics below: the one that looked off and almost like a bootleg version was style "A" below. the bars were thinner and projected outward almost 2 times more and "bowed" out with a more prominent curve. Not to mention this type (I ordered 4 grills from different sources to find the right one, and returned 3..with style "B" having better build and fit and finish) had quality issues.

style "B" with the blockier bars and less bow'ed projection was more in line with the OEM one that came stock on the 63. it had better finish on it as well. even though after market is still aftermarket and will never come close to OEM in terms of fit and quality, Style B was about a 9 out of 10 in terms of quality.

NOTE: Opinions differ I know...but I wanted something more in line to the original grill.

Last edited by EbonyCoupe43; 07-26-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:09 AM

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
'15 C400 and '15 ML350
C63 has a wider front end and different front bumper than the C43/other w205. That might mean the grille is a little different and can be more flush.
Also you have two different styles shown because one has the front camera and one doesnt.
I have no front camera GTR style grill and personally really like it. I will admit i wish it was a little more recessed, but i cant say its noticeable to anyone but me.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 C43
Originally Posted by EbonyCoupe43

I was up in the air on after market Panamericana/ GT R style grills for the w205 until I saw a live C63 FL. I must say in person it does look good! aggressive and different. I was worried about it looking like a Buick/ Audi or egg crate grill. I believe what makes it "work" visually is the symbiotic visual harmony between the thickness of the bars, the spacing between them and the profile curvature of the bars themselves.

I wanted this look, but something was off with SOME of the grills on the market and I couldn't put my finger on it through the pics online. I decided to order ac couple from different sources and BAM! I found out.

there are 2 different profiles to the aftermarket grills out there. see pics below: the one that looked off and almost like a bootleg version was style "A" below. the bars were thinner and projected outward almost 2 times more and "bowed" out with a more prominent curve. Not to mention this type (I ordered 4 grills from different sources to find the right one, and returned 3..with style "B" having better build and fit and finish) had quality issues.

style "B" with the blockier bars and less bow'ed projection was more in line with the OEM one that came stock on the 63. it had better finish on it as well. even though after market is still aftermarket and will never come close to OEM in terms of fit and quality, Style B was about a 9 out of 10 in terms of quality.

NOTE: Opinions differ I know...but I wanted something more in line to the original grill.

So where did you source "B" from? I have a 2020 c43 and would be interested in "B" without the front camera
Old 07-27-2020, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Interesting. You guys don’t like the twin blade grill? I did the whole C63 front conversion but back-dated the grill to the twin blade instead of the Panamericana so that I could keep at least some elements of the C43.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:51 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by TModelle
Interesting. You guys don’t like the twin blade grill? I did the whole C63 front conversion but back-dated the grill to the twin blade instead of the Panamericana so that I could keep at least some elements of the C43.
I am actually trying to replace my twin blade grille on my C43 right now with the Panamericana grille. I think I just don't like horizontal line sand the Panamericana grille looks more aggressive and modern to me.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:45 PM

C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by MatthewJ
C63 has a wider front end and different front bumper than the C43/other w205. That might mean the grille is a little different and can be more flush.
Also you have two different styles shown because one has the front camera and one doesnt.
I have no front camera GTR style grill and personally really like it. I will admit i wish it was a little more recessed, but i cant say its noticeable to anyone but me.

you have style "A" that's why it pops out like that. the camera hole does not make a difference as both styles have with or WITHOUT camera and their respective styles are the same.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:47 PM

C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by David Hudak
So where did you source "B" from? I have a 2020 c43 and would be interested in "B" without the front camera
Here you go!

the chrome is treated to withstand the elements and to prevent fading and its a nice solid ABS. This is A vendor but not THE vendor I got it from. its the same one as I ordered another one for a friend from this vendor and checked it visually before I handed it over.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-15-18-M...oAAOSw-s5d3zqW
Old 07-27-2020, 08:00 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG
I'm really still torn on this, the twin blades look very sleek and classy, also goes with the face lift fog grill blades going horizontal too.
Seems like the internet people are really torn on this as well.
I think I just need to install it to see if I like it or not.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:19 PM

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts
C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
my 2 cents. Mercedes is gravitating more towards the panamericana grill and is giving thr cars a more modern look.

if you want to go for a more modern look go for it.

the twin blade used to be the standard for the C63 until they went with the Bars type grill

its a pain in the butt to install the grill regardless. ive done it. so make sure you pick the right one :p
Old 07-28-2020, 08:54 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 C43
Originally Posted by EbonyCoupe43
Here you go!

the chrome is treated to withstand the elements and to prevent fading and its a nice solid ABS. This is A vendor but not THE vendor I got it from. its the same one as I ordered another one for a friend from this vendor and checked it visually before I handed it over.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-15-18-M...oAAOSw-s5d3zqW
That link shows no longer available. Also i have a 2020 c43. Do you know of any vendors with the flat "B" design that are selling for the facelift models?