Sponsored by:

AMG Drive Unit U88

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
My 2019 C43 had the U88 Drive Unit installed in the gateway from factory, but did not have the steering wheel with the drive unit. I would assume that if the steering wheel with drive unit and the appropriate control unit where installed, it would work.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:55 AM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by TModelle
My 2019 C43 had the U88 Drive Unit installed in the gateway from factory, but did not have the steering wheel with the drive unit. I would assume that if the steering wheel with drive unit and the appropriate control unit where installed, it would work.
Did your build/spec sheet reflect the U88 code or was it verified by VIN? I've read that AMG can confirm the feasibility of retrofitting the DU, I just can get a next day answer on my own or with a dealership's help. I did get answers on 2 MY18 E63s, which were "no", but don't have any idea if the specific module (found in your car) was built into 2020 E63s but without the control buttons as in your case.

In January of last year when I decided to order an E63 for European Delivery I spec'd mine with the DU. I had only seen it on C63s at the time but found it in the E Class AMG DOG. It became a deal-breaker. If I didn't have such disdain for the facelift E63 it wouldn't even be an issue.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by AMG RB
Did your build/spec sheet reflect the U88 code or was it verified by VIN? I've read that AMG can confirm the feasibility of retrofitting the DU, I just can get a next day answer on my own or with a dealership's help. I did get answers on 2 MY18 E63s, which were "no", but don't have any idea if the specific module (found in your car) was built into 2020 E63s but without the control buttons as in your case.

In January of last year when I decided to order an E63 for European Delivery I spec'd mine with the DU. I had only seen it on C63s at the time but found it in the E Class AMG DOG. It became a deal-breaker. If I didn't have such disdain for the facelift E63 it wouldn't even be an issue.
my car did not have u88 spec’ed in the VIN, but the gateway was always looking for the drive unit.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:19 AM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
Another member on the forum provided me with some actual pdf tech pages which mentions doing some SNC coding to the "AMG Drive Unit control unit". Must've been an availability issue for the steering wheel buttons if MB built cars with the "control unit" anyway.

I need to speak to your dealership and see if they can get me an answer post haste.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Corvette Grand Sport, Mercedes C43 sedan, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Sorry for not responding. Forum seems to only randomly notify me when someone responds. So my car actually came with the drive unit installed, but the sticker said no drive unit. I had ordered it with the drive unit. This was during the initial outbreak of covid-19, so not sure if they just skipped programming cars or they had some sort of licensing issue. When the car arrived at the dealership it had all the hardware but was never programmed to work. I ended up getting support by talking to MB customer support. They investigated it and then told me they think they could get it to work. I then brought it into the dealer and corporate walked them through programming it. I'm pretty sure all the hardware was already in place. I think retrofitting a car without it is pretty difficult.