Sponsored by:

AMG Drive Unit U88

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 01:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Corvette Grand Sport, Mercedes C43 sedan, Jeep Grand Cherokee
AMG Drive Unit U88

I'm really frustrated and hoping someone might know while I wait for the dealer to get back to me. I placed an order for a new C43 back in March. It was supposed to be built in June but got pushed to September due to the virus. It was built on 9/14 and I got the VIN. I finally wanted to go through the VIN to make sure all the options I ordered were on there. I used MBdecoder.com to decipher the VIN. All the features are on there, except the AMG Drive Unite, U88. Now the car is going to be a 2021, so I'm not sure if it's now standard or not. I called the dealer and am waiting for his thoughts. Does anyone have any idea why this code wouldn't show up? I really don't want to go through this again and frankly can't wait another 3 or 4 months.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:23 PM

Well, the dealer got back to me. Somehow they didn't build the AMG Drive Unit on the vehicle. I'm so pissed. After waiting 6 months I would have expected this to be done right. I'm really considering cancelling the entire order now. This hasn't been the greatest experience.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:31 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan '19, Saab 9-3ss '03 Stage7, Saab 900 cabrio '92
If you have the VIN number, then the Dealer should have in it's computer the exact details of the Order and what's in it.

Mine I had a similar issue. I suppose due the WLTP rules, I ordered mine in Nov. 2018 and end-up being delivered in Nov 2019. During all this time I had more margin to do changes to the order and take the chance for instance to include the U88 AMG Steering Wheel Buttons (AMG Drive Unit).

Model year change in MB it's around June. In my case also it was delayed due the model year change. During this time, as there are changes on equipment/packages etc.. the dealer did the mistake of not reviewing the order and MB when doing the model year change unflag some equipment, that afterward should be flag again.

The best thing you can do it's ask the dealer to print and send it to you the full details of the order and the equipment.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan '19, Saab 9-3ss '03 Stage7, Saab 900 cabrio '92
Originally Posted by ctsvette
Well, the dealer got back to me. Somehow they didn't build the AMG Drive Unit on the vehicle. I'm so pissed. After waiting 6 months I would have expected this to be done right. I'm really considering cancelling the entire order now. This hasn't been the greatest experience.
I've seen in some website you can put it afterwards, but as always it will depend on the Dealer if they are willing to change the steering and do the coding. As they f.... up they should give you a good discount. In my case happened something similar with the digital dash, 360 camera & Command. They gave me a big discount on the car, installed the Command at cost with no labour and sooner or later i will install the digital dash.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:39 PM

That sounds like a good deal. I'm not so confident it can be added easily. You may be right as it did switch model years from 2020 to 2021. I guess he never validated all the options were there. I've ordered many cars in the past and this is the first time something like this has happened to me. I believe the car is still in South Africa or maybe it just shipped as the last update was last Friday. We'll see what he says. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,011 Likes on 592 Posts
N/A
Don't rely on a decoder.
Did you ever confirm the dealer added the option to your order? There was an issue a few months ago where U88 "disappeared" from the order, but it was a bug and the cars were still built correctly.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:26 PM

That's interesting. The dealer did call me back and said that he didn't see it. He is off today and had someone from the dealer look it up. I can hopefully keep my fingers crossed that something like that did happen but we'll see. He was going to do some more research.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

N/A
That's interesting. The dealer did call me back and said that he didn't see it. He is off today and had someone from the dealer look it up. I can hopefully keep my fingers crossed that something like that did happen but we'll see. He was going to do some more research.
Here is the email from MBUSA regarding the problem in the past. If you want to email them to ask about your order, send them your PO# and VIN# and they may be able to help clarify: mercedes_benz@mailca.custhelp.com

Old 10-01-2020, 03:47 PM

Thanks, where am I supposed to get the PO#? I have the VIN obviously but I don't see the PO# anywhere.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

N/A
Thanks, where am I supposed to get the PO#? I have the VIN obviously but I don't see the PO# anywhere.
Ask the dealer for it, or ask the dealer for the MSRP/Build sheet, which has it at the top.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,665 Posts
2019 C63CS
FWIW, mbdecoder does show the AMG Drive Unit if the car is equipped with it. Even if it's standard, the option is still listed. Below is a screenshot for my C63S, which has the AMG Drive Unit standard. Unfortunately, once you have the VIN it's too late. I can strongly advise to always request a printout of the build sheet from Netstar whenever a change occurs to the order. My dealership for example initially left out the digital instrument cluster and I went back and forward on the carbon exterior packages and each time asked for the build sheet afterwards. Because I did ED, I also got the invoice from MBUSA and requested an updated one each time, so that way I could see that Germany actually has the order correct in their system. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that if mbdecoder doesn't' show U88 for your car, then it wasn't built with it, and as far as I know it can't be installed afterwards at least not w/o major surgery. The required harness is missing if the option isn't there from the factory.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:17 PM

Man, I went from having hope to having no hope at all. This sucks in so many ways.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:22 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Man, I went from having hope to having no hope at all. This sucks in so many ways.
If you are unhappy with it, just don't buy it. It's their fault after all. If it was me, I would tell them to put it on free of cost, or at least discounted from the actual option price for that feature. If they wont do it, just tell them you're cancelling the entire order. You've already waited forever, don't just accept something that you're already this emotional about and having to commit to it for the next 5-8 years. Chances are, if you push to cancel your order, they will try to do something about it. Unless they discount that car HEAVILY for you, don't buy it. They're the one stuck with a car optioned out a certain way for a buyer that they are not sure if any other buyers will be interested in. Their loss.
The following users liked this post:
Rockyrainier (10-05-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 04:26 PM

Yeah, at this point that's going to be my direction. I really wanted that feature so I will cancel if they can't resolve it one way or the other.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yeah, at this point that's going to be my direction. I really wanted that feature so I will cancel if they can't resolve it one way or the other.
If that's where you are going, then I would recommend you start the process now. Tell them you don't want this car and don't wait until it arrives. Push them to find one exactly configured as you wanted or see if they can change an existing order, so you don't have to wait all the way from the beginning again. When the car does arrive and despite everything actually has U88, then you can still take it, but if not hopefully your new order will already be in production or on a vessel.
ctsvette (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 08:43 PM

Does anyone know if the 2020 and 2021 come wired for the drive unit? Would this be a relatively easy retrofit once you have the parts? I know the 2019 and below didn't offer it, but if it's easy to do with a newer one then maybe they can offer to do it or I can add it later if they give me a big discount.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Does anyone know if the 2020 and 2021 come wired for the drive unit? Would this be a relatively easy retrofit once you have the parts? I know the 2019 and below didn't offer it, but if it's easy to do with a newer one then maybe they can offer to do it or I can add it later if they give me a big discount.
My understanding is that it can't be easily retrofitted. The harness isn't there and there's a module that goes with it. It's actually somewhat separate from the DYNAMIC SELECT switch in the center console. My C63S is in the shop right now and it received a software update for the AMG Drive Unit, because there was apparently a bug with the dynamic engine mounts if the drive mode was selected via the AMG Drive Unit, so that tells me it is it's own subsystem.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:02 PM

Figured I'd give an update. The dealer was totally understanding and didn't try to deny accountability. They weren't sure if they didn't put the order in right or it got dropped after the model year change. He said he could either refund me or try to change an order in flight or put in a band new order. We tried updating an order in flight which seemed pretty awesome as I did want to change a few things. We tried it twice but it wouldn't take. He then called the person that handles all orders for the region. The guy said the car was on run out or something like that. In the end it means they aren't going to make any more 2021 models of the c43 and therefore I have no real choice. I can't try to even order a new one. Really sorry if sucks but here's going to try to do something to make it up. I test drove a few more cars. The only one I really liked was the bmw m340i. It was nice but just didn't have the dual personality of the c43. Also no other car had the drive unit trick which is unfortunate. Thanks for your support through this.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

N/A
Figured I'd give an update. The dealer was totally understanding and didn't try to deny accountability. They weren't sure if they didn't put the order in right or it got dropped after the model year change. He said he could either refund me or try to change an order in flight or put in a band new order. We tried updating an order in flight which seemed pretty awesome as I did want to change a few things. We tried it twice but it wouldn't take. He then called the person that handles all orders for the region. The guy said the car was on run out or something like that. In the end it means they aren't going to make any more 2021 models of the c43 and therefore I have no real choice. I can't try to even order a new one. Really sorry if sucks but here's going to try to do something to make it up. I test drove a few more cars. The only one I really liked was the bmw m340i. It was nice but just didn't have the dual personality of the c43. Also no other car had the drive unit trick which is unfortunate. Thanks for your support through this.
It seems odd to me that the order banks would be closed already. You might just want to ask them to let you know if any allocations open up throughout the year.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
435i
It's October of 2020 and they aren't going to make any more 2021s? That sounds as bad as something Cadillac would do.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by dhstadt@amerite
It's October of 2020 and they aren't going to make any more 2021s? That sounds as bad as something Cadillac would do.
Lol, my current car is a Cadillac 😀. Here's my suspicion. The 2021 was supposed to be the redesigned c class, but due to covid it got delayed. They decided to keep making the w205. Now that the new version is nearing completion they'll cut the 2021 short and start building the 2022 early. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2022 start production by the end of the year or early 2021. That's just my guess.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:44 PM

So it's been a few months, but after contacting MB corporate they actually worked with the dealer to resolve the issue. I have to say this actually impressed me. Dropped the car off today and picked it up working. Best part is I basically got this for free since they took it off the price of the car when I picked it up.
waisoserious (04-22-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 10:46 PM

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts
2017 C43
So it's been a few months, but after contacting MB corporate they actually worked with the dealer to resolve the issue. I have to say this actually impressed me. Dropped the car off today and picked it up working. Best part is I basically got this for free since they took it off the price of the car when I picked it up.
Congratulations!
Old 04-21-2021, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 207 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
nice! so they did a retrofit after it was built without it?
Old 05-16-2021, 10:37 AM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
YES, INQUIRING MINDS NEED TO KNOW!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG Drive Unit U88