Sponsored by:

Next Car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M4
Next Car?

I still have more than a year left on my lease but I'm already thinking about my next car. I believe the C43 is the best car in this segment. The S4 does nothing from a visual perspective and neither does the M340. They're both just too vanilla. They also don't sound nearly as good as the C43.

So with that said, my only move will go up in segment to something like the next gen M3/M4 or maybe even a C63s. Obviously, the problem is I'm going to be paying something like $1K a month to get into these cars...which gives me some anxiety.

Curious what others are thinking with an expiring lease or for those thinking about selling? Or those who have sold? What's your next move?
Old 10-18-2020, 11:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 E450 Cabriolet
Given that according to several Mercedes sources the C,E and S cabriolets and coupes will be discontinued in 2 or 3 years , I'm planning to upgrade to the 2021 E450 facelift cabriolet . It will have similar performance to my C43 ,with a similar price , but much more luxury and a smoother ride . Being the E facelift it will have the latest tech and may be the last of the popular 4 seat convertibles by Mercedes . I've enjoyed the AMG aspects of the C43 ( PE etc ), but at 75 I'll appreciate a more relaxing ride !
Old 10-19-2020, 11:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
19E450A, 16C450W4, 16RRS SC Dynamic, etc
Originally Posted by splunge
Given that according to several Mercedes sources the C,E and S cabriolets and coupes will be discontinued in 2 or 3 years , I'm planning to upgrade to the 2021 E450 facelift cabriolet . It will have similar performance to my C43 ,with a similar price , but much more luxury and a smoother ride . Being the E facelift it will have the latest tech and may be the last of the popular 4 seat convertibles by Mercedes . I've enjoyed the AMG aspects of the C43 ( PE etc ), but at 75 I'll appreciate a more relaxing ride !
As somebody who owns both, I'd just like to provide a few comments from my experience. The E450 Cab definitely has much more luxury and a much smoother ride, but it's not at all as fun to drive (extreme emphasis here) or as quick (though it's hardly slow). If you enjoy the fun of your C43, I'd look to a E53, otherwise you'll be making a big trade-off (but, the E53 comes with more cost, so yet another trade-off). It sounds like you may be looking for that trade-off, though, and if that's the case, that's perfect for you! Just wanted to put this out there just incase I could help.
The following users liked this post:
TWINTURBOS (10-22-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 01:44 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
I've thought about this as well and it's not as simple as I thought it would be. I don't want to upgrade to a C63 because it's still mostly a C class exterior and interior, so it won't really feel "new" at all to me, aside from the performance. Upgrading to an E class means a bigger car and higher costs. I'm mostly not a fan of big cars so that's difficult for me to justify.

The only other option is to go outside of Mercedes altogether. The BMW M's are not very unique since everyone has them around where I live, and BMW's look kind of boring. Audi RS3/RS4 will be a bit faster than C43 but the exterior of an Audi RS just looks like its base A class and the interior is way too minimalistic for me. Right now, maybe an F-Type but the supercharged V8 is super expensive. I might consider the Giulia Quadrifoglio as well. Their sticker price is expensive but they offer heavy discounts from what I've seen but that's cause not many people buy them due to reliability issues...

There's the upcoming 370z replacement, the 400hp one might be interesting. Then there's the new Supra, which I have been in several times and they are very fast and fun, but 2 seats. If I consider smaller cars, I might also consider something from Lotus as well.

This is tough.
cjaredscott (10-20-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 03:50 PM

M4
Originally Posted by Ramsino
I've thought about this as well and it's not as simple as I thought it would be. I don't want to upgrade to a C63 because it's still mostly a C class exterior and interior, so it won't really feel "new" at all to me, aside from the performance. Upgrading to an E class means a bigger car and higher costs. I'm mostly not a fan of big cars so that's difficult for me to justify.

The only other option is to go outside of Mercedes altogether. The BMW M's are not very unique since everyone has them around where I live, and BMW's look kind of boring. Audi RS3/RS4 will be a bit faster than C43 but the exterior of an Audi RS just looks like its base A class and the interior is way too minimalistic for me. Right now, maybe an F-Type but the supercharged V8 is super expensive. I might consider the Giulia Quadrifoglio as well. Their sticker price is expensive but they offer heavy discounts from what I've seen but that's cause not many people buy them due to reliability issues...

There's the upcoming 370z replacement, the 400hp one might be interesting. Then there's the new Supra, which I have been in several times and they are very fast and fun, but 2 seats. If I consider smaller cars, I might also consider something from Lotus as well.

This is tough.
I came from an Infiniti Q50 Red Sport...which I assume will be the new engine in the new Z. There is virtually no exhaust note. The transmission was horrible also. It just wasn't that fun to drive but I don't mod my cars since I only lease.

I looked at the Alfa before I leased my C43 but it was very expensive. They wanted something like $1,100 monthly with no money down. Perhaps things have changed since COVID but my local dealer in Scottsdale wasn't willing to negotiate...really at all.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:13 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by tyga11
I came from an Infiniti Q50 Red Sport...which I assume will be the new engine in the new Z. There is virtually no exhaust note. The transmission was horrible also. It just wasn't that fun to drive but I don't mod my cars since I only lease.

I looked at the Alfa before I leased my C43 but it was very expensive. They wanted something like $1,100 monthly with no money down. Perhaps things have changed since COVID but my local dealer in Scottsdale wasn't willing to negotiate...really at all.
The engine in the new Z will likely be the one in the red sport 400, but exhaust notes and everything else can be changed and I am sure they will modify it to sound better. I also hope they modify the steering and transmission as well.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:28 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 C43 AMG Coupe
I agree this is somewhat a tough choice. I'm no where near ready to get rid of my car but an interesting thought. Right now there is nothing that is really jumping out at me like "wow gotta have it" over the c43. The new M4/M3s look just awful imo. Audi's...meh. I know the new C8 vette is cool, but the styling just doesn't do it for me. A new 911 would be really nice but are of course expensive and sort of blend in because they all look the same (unless you're a Porsche guy). The F types are cool are starting to look a little dated now.

I really love the AMG GT coupe or roadster and would most likely go for one of those.

Also waiting to see what the new SL AMG soft top will look like. So far the pictures look great and it will be a 2+2.
cjaredscott (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 10:31 AM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
I still have more than a year left on my lease but I'm already thinking about my next car. I believe the C43 is the best car in this segment. The S4 does nothing from a visual perspective and neither does the M340. They're both just too vanilla. They also don't sound nearly as good as the C43.

So with that said, my only move will go up in segment to something like the next gen M3/M4 or maybe even a C63s. Obviously, the problem is I'm going to be paying something like $1K a month to get into these cars...which gives me some anxiety.

Curious what others are thinking with an expiring lease or for those thinking about selling? Or those who have sold? What's your next move?

would you considering buying your c43 once its off lease? considering, its in good shape.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:26 AM

M4
I personally wouldn't - only because I like having a new / different car every few years. It is really an amazing car however. I love everything about it
Old 10-20-2020, 12:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 E450 Cabriolet
cjaredscott - Thanks for comments on E450 v C43 . In terms of performance 1/2 sec to 60 doesn't bother me ,but I am concerned about the fun / road-holding difference ,although at my age I don't drive 'sporty' as often as I used to ! I'm waiting for the 2021 facelift E to appear and then take another test drive - maybe if I'm disappointed I'll just get the latest C43 .
I assume the E450 with 19 inch wheels and Sport + is decent , just not as direct and planted as AMG ? I cannot justify the E53 for an extra $15K above the E450 just to get same performance as C43.
As I said before, I want to get latest cabriolet before they disappear in favor of the dreaded SUV's .Thanks again for your input
Old 10-20-2020, 12:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
C43
I was looking this weekend at a few options myself. I found a nice CLS53 but when they told me what the lease price was, I almost choked. The price of the car is about 30% more than the price of my C43 but the payment was double. They told me they'd go back and work on the numbers but it seems WAY too high to me. I'm probably going to go outside Mercedes for my next car as the only Mercedes that really interests me is the CLS and if the pricing is correct based on what they told me I'd rather get something else.

I actually would really like to keep the C43 but the residual is going to be significantly higher than the value of the car when I turn it in so it just doesn't make sense to keep it.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:21 PM

M4
Originally Posted by C43Flyby
I was looking this weekend at a few options myself. I found a nice CLS53 but when they told me what the lease price was, I almost choked. The price of the car is about 30% more than the price of my C43 but the payment was double. They told me they'd go back and work on the numbers but it seems WAY too high to me. I'm probably going to go outside Mercedes for my next car as the only Mercedes that really interests me is the CLS and if the pricing is correct based on what they told me I'd rather get something else.

I actually would really like to keep the C43 but the residual is going to be significantly higher than the value of the car when I turn it in so it just doesn't make sense to keep it.
What were they quoting you lease wise on the CLS53?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:35 PM

C43
What were they quoting you lease wise on the CLS53?
The quote I got was $1399 a month. That was $0 down, 3 years @ 10k miles per year. To be fair, I didn't get my C43 from this dealership because they initially quoted me $1000 a month for it. I was able to work them down to $800 a month but then I went to a different dealership the next week and found a car that was identical price-wise for $700 a month and took the leap.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:43 PM

M4
Originally Posted by C43Flyby
The quote I got was $1399 a month. That was $0 down, 3 years @ 10k miles per year. To be fair, I didn't get my C43 from this dealership because they initially quoted me $1000 a month for it. I was able to work them down to $800 a month but then I went to a different dealership the next week and found a car that was identical price-wise for $700 a month and took the leap.
There does seem to a tremendous amount of variance amongst the dealers. I'm paying $750 a month for my C43 and I put down $3,500. I know it's not the best deal but it's the best I could negotiate. $1,399 for a CLS53 is insane...it's almost like they don't want to sell that car.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:14 PM

C43
There does seem to a tremendous amount of variance amongst the dealers. I'm paying $750 a month for my C43 and I put down $3,500. I know it's not the best deal but it's the best I could negotiate. $1,399 for a CLS53 is insane...it's almost like they don't want to sell that car.
That's kind of what I was thinking too but I think it's just how this dealership operates. Come in super high and see if they found a sucker or not. The fact that their price is so high to begin with tells me everything I need to know about this dealership. If I end up going CLS53 I think I'll go back to the place I got my C43. They were very upfront with pricing and easy to deal with.

I have a friend with a CLS450 and it's great car. I have loved the CLS design since its inception and IMO it's only gotten better looking. It's too bad they dropped the 63 model for the GT63 because I MUCH prefer the CLS to the 63 design.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
19E450A, 16C450W4, 16RRS SC Dynamic, etc
cjaredscott - Thanks for comments on E450 v C43 . In terms of performance 1/2 sec to 60 doesn't bother me ,but I am concerned about the fun / road-holding difference ,although at my age I don't drive 'sporty' as often as I used to ! I'm waiting for the 2021 facelift E to appear and then take another test drive - maybe if I'm disappointed I'll just get the latest C43 .
I assume the E450 with 19 inch wheels and Sport + is decent , just not as direct and planted as AMG ? I cannot justify the E53 for an extra $15K above the E450 just to get same performance as C43.
As I said before, I want to get latest cabriolet before they disappear in favor of the dreaded SUV's .Thanks again for your input
For me, it wasn't the half second that I noticed (though, I'm in a C450, you're in a C43 with the 9-speed, though possibly with more weight? Not sure where the cab stacks up). I would definitely recommend test driving. The fun in that car was 6/10ths removed (so, think 4/10ths of the C43). Mine has the 19" wheels and in Sport+, I guess it is decent, but 4/10ths of what the C450/43 is in terms of fun/sport. It is planted, though. Just not as agile, communicative, or "fun." You'll definitely sort it all out when you test drive the car — it's hard to describe, but a lot easier to feel. Also, it's particularly hard for me to describe because my 19E450A stays in Florida, and the C is primarily in NJ/PA. I never truly drive them back to back, so it's more about when I fly down and get in the E450, how it feels different, or when I miss my C450 and fly up and get in that...
TWINTURBOS (10-22-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190

After a year of C43 ownership, finally going back to an Audi. Waited out a full year and couldn’t be happier to see it go. Definitely not my cup of tea, and I knew this within the first week of ownership. Next car choices: Almost went for a C63, but I found that the W205 was starting to look a little dated, so decided to exit the platform altogether. Then almost went for the E53, but something about Mercedes suspension and handling that just doesn’t feel right to me. BMW handling is great, but interior build quality is seriously lacking. So just by elimination, lesser of the evils, went back to an Audi. Something I’m used to, familiar, and just so dependable overall, I would say the least quirky of the three German marques. Something I can go seriously fast in, without any fuss or drama.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:29 PM

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts
C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
why you were happy to see it go ? can you explain ?
Old 10-26-2020, 05:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG GTS , AMG C43
Originally Posted by PFEAMG
I agree this is somewhat a tough choice. I'm no where near ready to get rid of my car but an interesting thought. Right now there is nothing that is really jumping out at me like "wow gotta have it" over the c43. The new M4/M3s look just awful imo. Audi's...meh. I know the new C8 vette is cool, but the styling just doesn't do it for me. A new 911 would be really nice but are of course expensive and sort of blend in because they all look the same (unless you're a Porsche guy). The F types are cool are starting to look a little dated now.

I really love the AMG GT coupe or roadster and would most likely go for one of those.

Also waiting to see what the new SL AMG soft top will look like. So far the pictures look great and it will be a 2+2.
Our absolutely stunning AMG GTS will be for sale when our C8 Z06 arrives. It’ll go fo mid $80s with 12K miles. It’s the best car we’ve ever owned! Just saying....
PFEAMG (10-27-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 05:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
20 E350, 19 E300, 18 C43, 17 E250, 14 ML350 , 13 C300 , 11 C350
I have switched from a C43 into a 2019 & 2020 E Class. You'll find the build quality and overall comfort to be leaps above the C Class.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 C43 AMG Coupe
Although I do LIKE my 2020 C43 a lot, I just don't feel as connected to it as my last BMW. In my opinion it is the best looking/sounding car with AWD in it's segment, and that's why I pulled the trigger. After having it for 3 months and putting it through it's paces, I'm having some slight buyers remorse. I can't keep but thinking I would have been happier with the M340i as my dd.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by Diirek
Although I do LIKE my 2020 C43 a lot, I just don't feel as connected to it as my last BMW. In my opinion it is the best looking/sounding car with AWD in it's segment, and that's why I pulled the trigger. After having it for 3 months and putting it through it's paces, I'm having some slight buyers remorse. I can't keep but thinking I would have been happier with the M340i as my dd.
My buyer’s remorse was within one week, I immediately started planning my exit. It’s unfortunate that I’m in a country where you can’t test drive a C43 before buying.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:15 PM

'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Petegtsv10
Our absolutely stunning AMG GTS will be for sale when our C8 Z06 arrives. It’ll go fo mid $80s with 12K miles. It’s the best car we’ve ever owned! Just saying....
Congrats on the z06...it will be insane I'm sure ! BUT, and no offense, I like the looks of the AMG GTS 100x better than the vette.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:17 PM

'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by TModelle
My buyer’s remorse was within one week, I immediately started planning my exit. It’s unfortunate that I’m in a country where you can’t test drive a C43 before buying.
I've seen many of your posts and always wondered why the hell did you buy the thing after the test drive if you hate it so much...This explains a lot lol.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by PFEAMG
I've seen many of your posts and always wondered why the hell did you buy the thing after the test drive if you hate it so much...This explains a lot lol.
Typically over here, anything above a quarter mill no test drive cars are available prior to purchase.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Next Car?