Sponsored by:

2019 C43 radio question:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 10:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG GTS , AMG C43
2019 C43 radio question:

My wife’s Cabrio is our daily driver. To exit the car we turn the radio volume down, push the ignition button once to shut the engine off and open the door. Opening the door turns the radio off, heated seats off, etc. Today I found myself sitting in the car with the engine off and the radio on. I realized (after over a year) that I don’t know how to turn the radio off without opening the door. How does one turn the radio off without opening the door?
Old 02-04-2021, 11:07 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 C43
Originally Posted by Petegtsv10
My wife’s Cabrio is our daily driver. To exit the car we turn the radio volume down, push the ignition button once to shut the engine off and open the door. Opening the door turns the radio off, heated seats off, etc. Today I found myself sitting in the car with the engine off and the radio on. I realized (after over a year) that I don’t know how to turn the radio off without opening the door. How does one turn the radio off without opening the door?
Press down on the console mounted volume control, this will shut down the Command system.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,564 Posts
2019 C63CS
You can also cycle through the ignition stages by pressing the engine start/stop button multiple times with your foot off the brakes. One press turns on the electronics, another press turns on ignition, then one more turns off ignition and the finally one more turns everything off. The COMAND system also turns off automatically after about 10 minutes.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:27 AM

AMG GTS , AMG C43
Originally Posted by superswiss
You can also cycle through the ignition stages by pressing the engine start/stop button multiple times with your foot off the brakes. One press turns on the electronics, another press turns on ignition, then one more turns off ignition and the finally one more turns everything off. The COMAND system also turns off automatically after about 10 minutes.
So, press start/stop 4 times to turn radio off. Thanks. Probably just as easy to open and close the door.

Last edited by Petegtsv10; 02-05-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:30 AM

AMG GTS , AMG C43
Originally Posted by ////AMG_C43
Press down on the console mounted volume control, this will shut down the Command system.
Interesting. I thought that motion would be “mute” as it is via the steering wheel volume dial.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:31 AM

2019 C43
Interesting. I thought that motion would be “mute” as it is via the steering wheel volume dial.
Try it. Easy enough to test.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
So, press start/stop 4 times to turn radio off. Thanks. Probably just as easy to open and close the door.
i guess it depends on how you turned on the radio in the first place. I believe if the car was running and you just parked and turned off the engine, then it only takes one press of the engine start/stop button to turn it off completely.

I think you have to press and hold it for a few seconds. Single press just mutes.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:22 PM

2019 C43

I think you have to press and hold it for a few seconds. Single press just mutes.
On my particular 2019 FL C43:

1) Steering wheel mounted volume control mutes sound when pressed.

2) Console mounted volume control turns-off Command system when pressed.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:37 PM

AMG GTS , AMG C43
Thanks everyone. Pushing the console volume dial turns the radio off. And if you look closely next to that dial, there is an "off" icon.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yeah, I think I was mistaken. Pressing and holding the center volume button restarts the COMAND system. I also played around with the ignition cycles today and it doesn't look like you can turn the system off with it after parking the car. It just goes between ignition on and off. The displays such as the instrument cluster eventually turns off and as I said the radio will turn off after about 10 minutes as well. I don't use/test this stuff regularly as I just turn the car off and get out. I don't even put it in P anymore. Just engine off, which automatically puts it in P and engages the parking brake and then I get out. Not entirely sure what the use case is here to wanting to turn the radio off manually before getting out of the car.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-05-2021 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
C43
press into the volume knob on the hand control on the center control unit
Old 02-05-2021, 10:31 PM

AMG GTS , AMG C43
Yeah, I think I was mistaken. Pressing and holding the center volume button restarts the COMAND system. I also played around with the ignition cycles today and it doesn't look like you can turn the system off with it after parking the car. It just goes between ignition on and off. The displays such as the instrument cluster eventually turns off and as I said the radio will turn off after about 10 minutes as well. I don't use/test this stuff regularly as I just turn the car off and get out. I don't even put it in P anymore. Just engine off, which automatically puts it in P and engages the parking brake and then I get out. Not entirely sure what the use case is here to wanting to turn the radio off manually before getting out of the car.
The situation would be, for instance, when I’m waiting in the car while my wife runs an errand and I don’t want the radio on. The volume dial on the console is the simple solution that I was overlooking.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
The situation would be, for instance, when I’m waiting in the car while my wife runs an errand and I don’t want the radio on. The volume dial on the console is the simple solution that I was overlooking.
I do understand that. To be honest if I don't wanna listen to the radio I simply mute it, or one could also switch to Media and pause the active audio source if there is one. I generally mostly listen to SiriusXM, which has pause, fast forward and rewind now. The on/off in the center console turns off the entire COMAND system, which I still might wanna have active if say my wife calls me and I wanna take the call over the car, but as far as the radio is concerned, mute is effectively the radio off in modern Infotainment systems.