Sponsored by:

Considering c43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport
Considering c43

have a 2017 alfa romeo giulia ti that ive had for about 5 months now and the warranty is about to expire. It's had problem after problem and my two options are either i buy extended warranty which is 3k for 3 year which would be worth it. Or I buy another used car that I really love.

I've always loved the way the c43 coupe looks. Are they known to be reliable? Any specific years i should look for? Any specific features? I'm looking for a car thats a driver focused car but I wish the interior was a little nicer for 2017 to 2018. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit
Old 03-28-2021, 11:40 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Acura TL-SH, among others
Alpha reliability is awful, and well known for being so. I would definitely lose it before it's out of warranty. No car is fun if the mechanic gets to drive it more than you do.

As for the C43, it's worlds better in reliability. The main pain points are the wheels, which are made of butter, the factory runflats, errant squeaks from different areas that require felt tape or other remedies, and some issues with the pano roof not sealing properly if you actually open it and close it often. There's a jerkiness between shifts on 1 and 2, but that seems to primarily affect pre-facelift cars, and only in sports+. Not riding around in slow traffic in sports+, or learning to modulate the throttle better, solves the issue. It's not broken, just roughly tuned.

As for must haves in a new one? Performance Exhaust, or PE, is a must. It doesn't make the car faster, but it's amazingly different on the sound. Avoid piano black center console trim, unless you're willing to replace it, because it scratches easily and looks terrible once it has. Every other option is more subjective and varies between owners' preference.

Anything < 2019 is a pre-facelift, which seems to have a little harder ride and difference in trans tuning, plus a little more HP for 2019+. The facelift cars got some cosmetic changes front and rear, and there are a lot of interior changes, mostly in the dash, gauges, and AMG functions, but not entirely. The HP difference between cars isn't a big deal, especially if you plan to either tune it or add a piggyback.
The following users liked this post:
SilverBullet18 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Howyalivin
Alpha reliability is awful, and well known for being so. I would definitely lose it before it's out of warranty. No car is fun if the mechanic gets to drive it more than you do.

As for the C43, it's worlds better in reliability. The main pain points are the wheels, which are made of butter, the factory runflats, errant squeaks from different areas that require felt tape or other remedies, and some issues with the pano roof not sealing properly if you actually open it and close it often. There's a jerkiness between shifts on 1 and 2, but that seems to primarily affect pre-facelift cars, and only in sports+. Not riding around in slow traffic in sports+, or learning to modulate the throttle better, solves the issue. It's not broken, just roughly tuned.

As for must haves in a new one? Performance Exhaust, or PE, is a must. It doesn't make the car faster, but it's amazingly different on the sound. Avoid piano black center console trim, unless you're willing to replace it, because it scratches easily and looks terrible once it has. Every other option is more subjective and varies between owners' preference.

Anything < 2019 is a pre-facelift, which seems to have a little harder ride and difference in trans tuning, plus a little more HP for 2019+. The facelift cars got some cosmetic changes front and rear, and there are a lot of interior changes, mostly in the dash, gauges, and AMG functions, but not entirely. The HP difference between cars isn't a big deal, especially if you plan to either tune it or add a piggyback.
thanks the whole thing is I could extend the warranty for 3k for 3 years but idk if I should. Every time I bring it in too they give me some enterprise car which is disappointing I pay a higher monthly payment to drive an elenatra for 1+ weeks? Crazy

2019 would be out of the budget so mostly looking at 2017 and 2018. When I test drove the c43 I did notice that I felt bumps more than my giulia would
Old 03-29-2021, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by stt816
thanks the whole thing is I could extend the warranty for 3k for 3 years but idk if I should. Every time I bring it in too they give me some enterprise car which is disappointing I pay a higher monthly payment to drive an elenatra for 1+ weeks? Crazy

2019 would be out of the budget so mostly looking at 2017 and 2018. When I test drove the c43 I did notice that I felt bumps more than my giulia would
Like I said, it's not fun to pay for a car that your mechanic drives more than you do. Extending the warranty would be a non-starter for me.

Feeling the bumps is something that replacing the runflats will help. 18 inch wheels would also help, but to me, the 19's look too good to skip. The C43 handles better than the 17 Alpha, so you can expect a little harder ride. If it had the sport seats, it's even harder. I would budget to replace the factory rims with aftermarket, plus a good set of tires, and either sell your factory rims to recover some or all of your costs, or keep them to put back on when you sell the car.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:06 AM

Like I said, it's not fun to pay for a car that your mechanic drives more than you do. Extending the warranty would be a non-starter for me.

Feeling the bumps is something that replacing the runflats will help. 18 inch wheels would also help, but to me, the 19's look too good to skip. The C43 handles better than the 17 Alpha, so you can expect a little harder ride. If it had the sport seats, it's even harder. I would budget to replace the factory rims with aftermarket, plus a good set of tires, and either sell your factory rims to recover some or all of your costs, or keep them to put back on when you sell the car.

ok the other thing I wasn’t crazy about was the interior and lack of digital screen for the gauges. The other cars in the running are an s4/s5 coupe and s5 sport back. I hear the c43 is more fun to drive but the interior of the audis seem to be a lot better. Is there something people do to upgrade interior here ?

also my 17 giulia has lsd and the performance suspension package. You think the c43 is still better? It handles pretty good
Old 03-29-2021, 12:13 AM

ok the other thing I wasn’t crazy about was the interior and lack of digital screen for the gauges. The other cars in the running are an s4/s5 coupe and s5 sport back. I hear the c43 is more fun to drive but the interior of the audis seem to be a lot better. Is there something people do to upgrade interior here ?

also my 17 giulia has lsd and the performance suspension package. You think the c43 is still better? It handles pretty good
I like the interior of the MB better than Audi or BMW, but that's a subjective topic, and everyone will have their own preference. I understand not liking the analog gauges, I don't like them either. Unfortunately, a full digital gauge cluster wasn't an option until 2019. It looks awesome.

As for the handling and LSD, the Giulia RWD was measured at .88 on the skidpad by Car & Driver, meanwhile they've recorded .93 to .95 with the C43, depending on wheel and tire size and car tested. The C43 doesn't have an LSD, but with AWD that's not really an issue, unless of course you mod your car and start running solidly in the 11's, then you'll get some spin.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:15 AM

I like the interior of the MB better than Audi or BMW, but that's a subjective topic, and everyone will have their own preference. I understand not liking the analog gauges, I don't like them either. Unfortunately, a full digital gauge cluster wasn't an option until 2019. It looks awesome.

As for the handling and LSD, the Giulia RWD was measured at .88 on the skidpad by Car & Driver, meanwhile they've recorded .93 to .95 with the C43, depending on wheel and tire size and car tested. The C43 doesn't have an LSD, but with AWD that's not really an issue, unless of course you mod your car and start running solidly in the 11's, then you'll get some spin.

i have the q4 (awd) giulia
Old 03-29-2021, 12:36 AM

i have the q4 (awd) giulia
Motortrend scored even lower for skipad tests with the 2030 Q4 Ti. Regardless, the point i was making is that the C43 handles very well, and replacing the run flats or lowering the car improves that even more. It would definitely be nice to have an LSD in the C43, but as I said, until you're either deep in the 11s or on a track at 10/10th's, it's not a detriment.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:38 AM

Motortrend scored even lower for skipad tests with the 2030 Q4 Ti. Regardless, the point i was making is that the C43 handles very well, and replacing the run flats or lowering the car improves that even more. It would definitely be nice to have an LSD in the C43, but as I said, until you're either deep in the 11s or on a track at 10/10th's, it's not a detriment.

got it so my purpose for this car would be a daily driver. I drive aggressively on the streets and we have curvy roads that I like to be aggressive on. I’d also be using it in the winter and I live in connecticut. You think it’d be a good fit?

So hard to really get a feel for the car on the test drive with someone in the passenger seat.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
got it so my purpose for this car would be a daily driver. I drive aggressively on the streets and we have curvy roads that I like to be aggressive on. I’d also be using it in the winter and I live in connecticut. You think it’d be a good fit?

So hard to really get a feel for the car on the test drive with someone in the passenger seat.
I’ve owned AMG, Audi and BMW from this price segment, and personally if you want a driver-centric car that rewards you in the driving experience, there is no doubt you need a BMW. Look into the M340i or if you have the budget, the newly released M3/M4.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by TModelle
I’ve owned AMG, Audi and BMW from this price segment, and personally if you want a driver-centric car that rewards you in the driving experience, there is no doubt you need a BMW. Look into the M340i or if you have the budget, the newly released M3/M4.

too many bmws around here. Nothing special and the m340 is too new I’d like to keep around 35k
Old 03-29-2021, 01:05 AM

You think it’d be a good fit?

TModelle isn't wrong about the M340i. The C43 is a luxury car with very strong performance. The M340i is a driver's car that is somewhat luxurious. The main issue is that the M340i will be out of your price range, because it is a new offering. For me, the extra luxury is worth more than the slight difference in straight line speed. It was a close choice for me though, but BMW also has serious aftermarket support.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 479 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Can you please describe the issues you had with the alfa in detail and maybe the costs/time of repair for each thing
OLder Alfa's are unreliable but the guilias were apparently different according to forum activity.

Thank you
Old 03-29-2021, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
Can you please describe the issues you had with the alfa in detail and maybe the costs/time of repair for each thing
OLder Alfa's are unreliable but the guilias were apparently different according to forum activity.

Thank you

sure so first was the steering rack and steering column

then it was the transfer case. They said Alfa Romeo makes them replace the whole thing if there’s a minor problem with it

then the sunroof shattered

I’m just now bringing it in for the sunroof with glass still dropping on my head. Every time it’s been a little over a week. Everything has been covered by warranty
Old 03-29-2021, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What was the issue with the transfer case? Mercedes also requires full transmission replacement (but they don't have those issues anymore in theory)

Also, the sunroof shattering seems to be a common thing with all cars. I'm not sure what happens but it was on the news that sunroofs just keep doing it. I've never had this issue but its weird nonetheless.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
What was the issue with the transfer case? Mercedes also requires full transmission replacement (but they don't have those issues anymore in theory)

Also, the sunroof shattering seems to be a common thing with all cars. I'm not sure what happens but it was on the news that sunroofs just keep doing it. I've never had this issue but its weird nonetheless.
The C43 is notorious for transfer case whine. I had mine replaced under warranty within the year that I owned it.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rip
stick to c450 with late 722.9 that fixed the problem I guess
Old 03-29-2021, 01:46 PM

Thank you
Whatever forum that is doesn't seem to represent reality. Even the new ones are terrible. Here are a few excerpts from different magazines:

From MotorBiscuit, quoting Consumer Reports data, 2020:
"The most troubling factor about the Alfa Romeo Giulia is its low reliability rating. The car only has a 13 percent chance of not requiring any repairs over a three-year period. In previous years, drivers reported problems with the car’s fuel system and the A/C unit. Issues with its power equipment and interior electronics were also frequent."

From Car & Driver, 2019:
"We desperately hoped for this enthralling Italian sedan to succeed, but we were consistently disappointed by its unforgivable reliability issues."
"We were elated when we could finish a long drive without scheduling a dealer visit. That's a sad state of affairs."

From Road and Track, 2017:
"Alfa Romeo Is Its Own Worst Enemy"
"Last week, this magazine took a Giulia to Gingerman Raceway, in Southwest Michigan. The Quadrifoglio, the most powerful Giulia sold, and ostensibly built for that environment. But the trip did not go well. I got that out lap, or most of one. I also got no more than that. Not a single complete lap. I tried several times, but on a mild summer day, the car couldn’t make it through a single lap. It kept breaking."

From Jalopnik, 2017:
"Consumer Reports’ Alfa has been to the dealer service bay three times since they bought it. The UK’s Sunday Times had three Giulias crap out on them. Forums abound with reliability issues. Pistonheads had an Alfa Giulia break down in the middle of a test against a Mercedes and a BMW. Motor Trend’s Alfa was completely defeated by a normal driveway."

From Motor Authority, 2017:
"Italian cars are known for two things: driving passion and a finicky nature. So when I finagled my way into a 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio for a track day event, I was hoping that I would experience the former and avoid the latter.
Instead I got a healthy dose of both."

Alpha's look good, and if they're running, they're nice cars, but on top of the reliability issues that every magazine seems to have with them, I can't count the number of owners I've seen that have had major issues.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lol, consumer reports "predicted" reliability

If you base off that stuff you won't even buy a mercedes 🤣
Old 03-29-2021, 03:28 PM

Lol, consumer reports "predicted" reliability

If you base off that stuff you won't even buy a mercedes 🤣
Not just predicted reliability, literally only 13% of the current model didn't require repairs in 3 years. That's not a predicated reliability statement, but instead seems based on real repair data. Outside of that though, 7 different online automotive sources all reported major issues with their test cars. UK's Sunday Times reported it with three straight cars. That many sources reporting issues is abnormal for any car.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,512 Likes on 2,136 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
The C43 is notorious for transfer case whine. I had mine replaced under warranty within the year that I owned it.
Some of ours had been replaced yet still makes the noise. I mean functionally, there is no issue, just the sound gets annoying at times. Perhaps if we think of it positively, it is a sound that signifies that we have a C43 and not a C300. (don't get me wrong, not to say a C300 is a bad car)
Old 03-30-2021, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
too many bmws around here. Nothing special and the m340 is too new I’d like to keep around 35k
Seems like you’ve already made up your mind on the C43.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 c43 amg
I'm from CT as well and have had my c43 4matic for about six months. I have a tune and downpipes on the way. In my humble opinion I hate the BMW. They are very ugly cars in and out, the only thing that is good about them is the engine. One car I really looked at was the ATS V; it has a twin turbo v 6 fully forged and they can get around 600 hp for about 10k. The inside was pretty run of the mill, but that outside was pretty eye catching. The only thing is they didn't make a lot of them so they are a little expensive. Why I choose the c43 was for the blend of best looks in the class, pretty stout engine though the aftermarket is still growing, and the inside is the best in class. It is a nice package for under 40k used out the door. Just a frame of reference I had a fully built g37s with a turbo kit making 700 at the crank and 600 at the wheels, it was also a manual.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:31 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43

The interior of the C43 is better than Audi and BMW as it currently stands for me. The C43 has a more luxurious and high end feel. The Audi is surprisingly plasticky.

The C43 DOES have the digital gauge cluster. It's an option but it's definitely available, mine has it. In my opinion don't get a C43 without the digital instrument cluster and AMG Performance Exhaust.

C43 interior:
https://car-images.bauersecure.com/p...c43_review.jpg

Audi interior:
https://cdn.carbuzz.com/gallery-imag...uzz-608342.jpg

BMW interior:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kv1psQd_u_I/maxresdefault.jpg
Old 04-01-2021, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by Ramsino
The interior of the C43 is better than Audi and BMW as it currently stands for me. The C43 has a more luxurious and high end feel. The Audi is surprisingly plasticky.

The C43 DOES have the digital gauge cluster. It's an option but it's definitely available, mine has it. In my opinion don't get a C43 without the digital instrument cluster and AMG Performance Exhaust.

C43 interior:
https://car-images.bauersecure.com/p...c43_review.jpg

Audi interior:
https://cdn.carbuzz.com/gallery-imag...uzz-608342.jpg

BMW interior:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kv1psQd_u_I/maxresdefault.jpg
My experience is just the opposite. I find the C43 interior dated, really 5 years ago. It’s really only an update in 2019 with new screens for the user interface and a new steering wheel. The quality has been pretty bad since 2016 - noisy panels if you touch them, stitching in the leather on dash and door panels that’s not straight, slightly different from car to car, dealer says hand made, but Audi does it completely straight for every car with consistency. Merc seat, door and dash stitching frays really easily in just a few months, while stitching in an Audi stays good for years. C43 interior is really horrible for the money you’re paying, honestly. Audi is solid and noise free, leather is much better quality, more luxurious overall. My Lamborghini dealer says I’ve got the same leather and stitching as what he sells on his Lambos. BMW is pretty bad though.

Among my immediate friends and family we have C43, Audi S5 and RS4, Alfa Giulia Quadrigolio, BMW 340i, and handling wise without a doubt we all agree the BMW handles the best, followed by the Alfa, then the Audi’s then the Merc. Merc had never been known for driving and handling, and it shows when you compare the cars. The only thing that is going for it is the sound. The rest of the car you just end up “accepting” because of its positioning in terms of badge(brand) and price and sound.

Last edited by TModelle; 04-01-2021 at 10:17 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering c43