Just ordered a C 43, had a question about CPO transferring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C 43
Just ordered a C 43, had a question about CPO transferring

Hello all,

Just ordered a 2018 C 43 (sedan) from Carvana and right before it was sold to Carvana (the same month) it was made a CPO vehicle that shows on it's Carfax. Does anyone know if this transfers? I have been looking at Mercedes website and I cannot find anything to note about the warranty staying with the car other than a private purchase. One would think since it has not had another owner that it would, but I could just as easily seeing them negate it. I thought about trying to contact the dealer that CPO'd it and see what they would do, but didn't want to show my hand until I was sure.

For continuity, it's got 33k on the clock and was purchased in late 2017, so the original factory warranty only has 4 months left. I normally don't buy mid level performance cars out of warranty anymore, but I am considering making an exception here even if the CPO warranty does not transfer, as I only keep cars around a year or so either way.

Appreciate the help in advance.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:30 PM

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts
When I was purchasing a C63 S with some extended warranty, I called Mercedes and was advised that "This warranty is transferable, free of charge, as long as the vehicle is sold to a subsequent private party or to a Mercedes-Benz dealer. In order to transfer this warranty, we would require the new owner to send us proof of ownership such as a copy of the bill of sale, ownership, or insurance papers. If the vehicle sale goes to, or through an independent auto dealer, the warranty would become null and void." After purchasing the vehicle, I was able to have the warranty transferred by emailing them a PDF of the bill of sale.
The following users liked this post:
chattanoogaC43 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 06:16 PM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
Extended warranty bought by original owner is transferable to next purchaser.

The CPO in question is only offered by Mercedes Benz dealer used car sold as Certified Pre Owned mb used car program.

I doubt caravan is a mb dealer.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
No, the CPO warranty doesn't transfer unless it's a private sale. If it's sold to a dealership or reseller the warranty terminates. Below is a link to the Mercedes Customer Support website where this question is answered. Being a 2018 it should have a little less than a year of factory warranty left assuming it's still within the mileage limits.

http://mercedes-benz.custhelp.com/ap...i-transfer-the
Old 06-11-2021, 04:11 PM

2018 C 43
Thanks for the help I was afraid of that. I am going to get in touch with Benz corporate once the car arrives and see if I could possibly pay a fee to transfer it since the mileage has not changed since it was certified
Old 06-11-2021, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by chattanoogaC43
Thanks for the help I was afraid of that. I am going to get in touch with Benz corporate once the car arrives and see if I could possibly pay a fee to transfer it since the mileage has not changed since it was certified
You will have to take it to an MB dealership and have them certify it again if you want the CPO warranty. I think it costs somewhere around $1000. Carvana also offers their own extended warranty called CarvanaCare from what I can see on their website and you get a 100day/4189 miles limited warranty.
chattanoogaC43 (06-12-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 11:09 AM

2018 C 43
Thanks to everyone who posted help with this.

I've pretty much decided to either re CPO the car or possibly buy the extended 2 year CPO that I've seen Benz offer as well. I have stumbled across a couple older posts of people who had good contacts that offered better pricing than what I have seen locally as far as CPO is concerned, does anyone know of someone who is currently working at a dealer that offers good rates? (My dealer here in Chattanooga wants just under $3k for the one year plan)
Old 06-17-2021, 11:21 AM

2018 C 43
In case anyone is wondering, the price to turn back on CPO and get re certified is $850, as long as the vehicle passes inspection. (The dealer can just run it back through inspection again)

Thank you to all that commented, really helped me narrow down what I needed to do.

***Update, after initially agreeing to put the warranty back on, the dealer called me hours later and said they would not do it. No reason at all, just didn't want to bother with it. Pretty disappointing if you ask me, really puts a sour taste in my mouth about this particular dealer here in Chattanooga.

Last edited by chattanoogaC43; 06-18-2021 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Dealer changed their mind
AMGiggity (06-17-2021)