Sponsored by:

It is time to say goodbye...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 08:13 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 C43 AMG, 2016 BMW M235xi (gone)
It is time to say goodbye...

Hey all...I hope everyone is doing well. Unfortunately, I've decided that it is time to say goodbye to my 2019 C43 in Selenite Gray. This car is simply immaculate with only 13,000 miles. I am located near Chicago. If anyone has any interest, please feel free to reach out.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2021, 08:57 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Acura TL-SH, among others
Originally Posted by merlin3008
Hey all...I hope everyone is doing well. Unfortunately, I've decided that it is time to say goodbye to my 2019 C43 in Selenite Gray. This car is simply immaculate with only 13,000 miles. I am located near Chicago. If anyone has any interest, please feel free to reach out.

Thanks!
Heading to another MB product, or moving to another brand?
Old 06-17-2021, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Howyalivin
Heading to another MB product, or moving to another brand?
I typically switch between BMW and MB. I actually have a deposit down on a new AWD M3. I’ve always wanted an M3, but the lack of AWD kept me from pulling the trigger.
The following users liked this post:
AMGiggity (06-18-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 10:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Anything of a particular brand you prefer over another? Do you want to share your experience with your C43 and pros of cons while you are at it? You don't have to if you don't want to ofc : ) Since it says you are coming from a 2016 M235i to a C43, do you want to share with us what you liked about your bimmer over the C43 or vice versa? What are you looking forward to on your new M3 (is it a comp? if not then is it a manual?) over the C43? What do you think you might miss departing from the C43?
Old 06-18-2021, 07:35 AM

All really good questions. Let me just start by saying that I don't think anyone would be making a mistake getting any of these cars. They are all great in their own ways. I've really enjoyed my Mercedes just like I enjoyed my BMW. In general though, I really don't drive all that much. I do a mile a day to and from the train and then I take it out for weekend trips. With this focus, I was ready for something a bit more unique and noticeable, rather than something that blended in more. I'm far from a car connoisseur, but here are my impressions.

Looks - Totally subjective as both brands have their own distinctive identities. I liked my C43 because it did look like such a sleeper. You could order a C300 with the AMG package and 19" wheels and get a car with a fairly close aesthetic. The M340 is similar in that regard. This generation M3, even though it's a more expensive car, is a departure from that and one that I wanted. You either love the front end or you hate it. But either way...there is no mistaking what is coming up behind you on the highway.

Performance - Both drive great, but I feel that the current BMW lineup handles better than the C43 currently. I like the tighter handing and I feel more connected with the M car than with the AMG. Also subjective as my wife hates the BMW drive and prefers the AMG.

Exhaust - No comparison here. The AMG has a more pleasing visceral exhaust note, even than the M3. It's one of the disappointments to me. I'm not in tuning anymore so I'm likely just going to stick with it.

Service - I've received good service from both groups. I do prefer BMW's approach to still including free general maintenance. I also had a couple of rough experiences at my local MB service department that soured me a bit. Combine that with my SA's retirement and a less than great replacement and I was ready to switch. There is also something interesting that I have observed. The BMW service and even dealers seem to be more dialed in to M buyers and drivers than the Benz dealers. They have specific M centers and staff with detailed knowledge on these cars. I think AMG does as well, but it seems to be a bigger deal for BMW. They also offer services that Benz dealers do not. For example, every BMW dealer in my area will store and switch out summer/winter tires for you for a fee of course. Every Mercedes dealer around here has me lugging those tires back and forth every six months.

Leasing - Something that ultimately helped win me over were the leasing programs. My father had ordered a GLC 43 last winter and when it arrived, we were shocked at the residuals and money factors. We wound up going next door to BMW to look at an X3 M40i and never looked back. Due to a combination of discount, higher residuals, and lower mf, the car leased out at $200 less per month with less money out of pocket. BMW is just supporting their lease programs better than MBFS at the moment.

Delivery - Here is one thing BMW does great...Performance Center Delivery. If you ever want to experience brand enthusiasm, PCD is just awesome. I was able to pick up my M235 at the M driving school and attend a half day training on a car identical to the one I bought. They then introduce you to your car, allow you to drive X5s on an offroad circuit and get a tour of the factory. The PC had the most knowledgeable staff I have ever seen and the car was delivered in the best detailed condition of any that I have ever purchased. Then you get to bond with it on the drive home. Highly recommended.

Those are just a few things. Overall, both are great cars. I'm just ready for a change.
The following users liked this post:
cougit25 (08-03-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 08:08 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
I typically switch between BMW and MB. I actually have a deposit down on a new AWD M3. I’ve always wanted an M3, but the lack of AWD kept me from pulling the trigger.
When are you expecting it to be delivered? you mind posting your build? That thing will be a rocket off the line. I had a deposit on F87 M2 but backed out; can't decide between ordering M3 or waiting on G87 M2.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by AMGiggity
When are you expecting it to be delivered? you mind posting your build? That thing will be a rocket off the line. I had a deposit on F87 M2 but backed out; can't decide between ordering M3 or waiting on G87 M2.
Thanks, I'm excited. I have an allocation for an August build and September delivery. Actually a good month for me, since there is nothing I love more than doing the first new car detail in the driveway. Should be perfect weather.

I ordered the M3 Comp with:
  • Brooklyn gray
  • Tartufo leather interior
  • Black 826M wheels
  • Shadowline headlights
  • Ventilated seats
I didn't go for the executive package. For the driving I do, I wouldn't get the value.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

All really good questions. Let me just start by saying that I don't think anyone would be making a mistake getting any of these cars. They are all great in their own ways. I've really enjoyed my Mercedes just like I enjoyed my BMW. In general though, I really don't drive all that much. I do a mile a day to and from the train and then I take it out for weekend trips. With this focus, I was ready for something a bit more unique and noticeable, rather than something that blended in more. I'm far from a car connoisseur, but here are my impressions.

Hmmm, I see. Hopefully you could enjoy your BMW more and any car for that matter moving on forward on top of the weekend trips as it seems like you couldn't enjoy the C43 as much as you wanted. I also liked how sleeper the C43 looks and if you do tune it, it can make good numbers (I personally didn't as the power is adequate for my use but I want to say the potential was there). I especially like the even more sleeper look of the pre-facelift with the diamond pin grille that are common on AMG-line vehicles and the understated exhaust pipes (but that is just my personal preference)

Looks - Totally subjective as both brands have their own distinctive identities. I liked my C43 because it did look like such a sleeper. You could order a C300 with the AMG package and 19" wheels and get a car with a fairly close aesthetic. The M340 is similar in that regard. This generation M3, even though it's a more expensive car, is a departure from that and one that I wanted. You either love the front end or you hate it. But either way...there is no mistaking what is coming up behind you on the highway.

I see. I definitely agree that the new M3 being a M Powered vehicle looks unique compared to the M Performance and M sport vehicles thanks to that grille. The M3 grille fits the car much more than the new 440i (imo).The M3 looks much more unique to the M Performance vehicles compared to the previous gen that is for sure. BMW did a very interesting move on the decision of that grille and I think it is a smart move, like you said it is either you love it or hate it, at least the car stands out and looks different compared to the rest of their lineup. I wish they kept the hofmeister kink though as cars with it are un-mistakenly BMW. Either way, the new M3 definitely will attract different crowds with different opinions on it, overall, you would likely get more heads turned because of that (if that is something you don't mind) BMW always market themselves as the ultimate driving machine/sheer driving pleasure and they do deliver hence why things like the handling you mentioned may be better. What I love about 63 AMGs are the dual-personalities they have. You can be in complete comfort and then ludicrous (completely removing the gentlemen-ness of a Benz) with a flip of a switch. BMW are heading towards that direction as well. That being said, as you already are well aware that the C43 and M3 aren't direct competitors, the new 340i being the C43 competitor on the other hand is also a very nice vehicle and BMW always understate their horsepower figures. What do you think about the interior of both vehicles? Which one do you prefer more? I am sure you would love the rotating camera when parking that first appeared on the Rolls-Royce where it is like you are walking around the vehicle (I don't know how to explain it and forgot what is it called) speaking of Rolls-Royce I remembered something, I wonder if you can option the... "levitating?" wheel emblems like the ones you found on the Rolls-Royce or is that European exclusive?

Performance - Both drive great, but I feel that the current BMW lineup handles better than the C43 currently. I like the tighter handing and I feel more connected with the M car than with the AMG. Also subjective as my wife hates the BMW drive and prefers the AMG.

I am sure you would appreciate the ZF in the BMW over the rather "characteristically" jerky one in the C43. BMW's decision to ditch the DCT in favour of such gearbox for this gen is another example of them also heading towards a dual-personality vehicle like AMG (imo) and more comfortable, unnoticeable shifts (sounds like a contradictory to what a performance vehicle is trying to achieve but hey it works) Unless you are getting a manual or do you want the M3 competition which I think only comes with the ZF (I just realized you ordered a m3 comp, wait i forgot if the regular M3 is available in AWD, hmmm maybe that was why?) ? Interesting that you mentioned non-AWD was a deal breaker for you, does your country snow a lot unless it is another reason? It is also a deal breaker for me because of how much snow we have here in Canada.

Exhaust - No comparison here. The AMG has a more pleasing visceral exhaust note, even than the M3. It's one of the disappointments to me. I'm not in tuning anymore so I'm likely just going to stick with it.
Hmmm, seems like sound is something you care about, I am afraid the next gen C-Class won't be on your list when you come back to MB, perhaps you might be looking at E-Classes instead. Either way, there should be a vehicle that fits your needs.

Service - I've received good service from both groups. I do prefer BMW's approach to still including free general maintenance. I also had a couple of rough experiences at my local MB service department that soured me a bit. Combine that with my SA's retirement and a less than great replacement and I was ready to switch. There is also something interesting that I have observed. The BMW service and even dealers seem to be more dialed in to M buyers and drivers than the Benz dealers. They have specific M centers and staff with detailed knowledge on these cars. I think AMG does as well, but it seems to be a bigger deal for BMW. They also offer services that Benz dealers do not. For example, every BMW dealer in my area will store and switch out summer/winter tires for you for a fee of course. Every Mercedes dealer around here has me lugging those tires back and forth every six months.

I see, it is nice to hear that BMW treats their M buyers differently to regular BMW buyers (as in having a dedicated M Centre) I mean it is only fair as they do pay more.(I am not talking about higher tier vehicles like 7 series vs 3 series customers, that is a different story) That being said, as long as they treat them all well and actually treat them as customers then it is all good. I do have poor experience with certain MB dealerships here in Canada too, some just don't want to help and others think you are just here to cause problems when you genuinely want to get things fixed. Another reason why I hate going to stealerships, it is because they can't duplicate the problems I am experiencing and they break more than they fix. My car warranty expired and most maintenance I will be dealing with myself and I am actually relieved about that because I don't have to go back to the dealership. I believe this is also country dependent and again varies by dealerships. My local dealerships all offer seasonal tire storage for around $150 CAD + tax (2 seasons only though)so I guess the reason why yours didn't offer such service was country dependent. It does sound like a pain hauling the tires back and forth, hopefully you had a tire shop or similar shop that does offer tire storage that you can pick up and then bring to the dealership or you can have them swap tires instead of going to the dealership.

Leasing - Something that ultimately helped win me over were the leasing programs. My father had ordered a GLC 43 last winter and when it arrived, we were shocked at the residuals and money factors. We wound up going next door to BMW to look at an X3 M40i and never looked back. Due to a combination of discount, higher residuals, and lower mf, the car leased out at $200 less per month with less money out of pocket. BMW is just supporting their lease programs better than MBFS at the moment.

Hmmm, very interesting. I guess that is country dependent, in Canada it is completely opposite, BMW Canada discourages leasing with sometimes high 4.99% to 5.99% rates compared to the 2.99% and 1.99% with loyalty discounts on MBs, and the rate difference is even more for performance vehicles on BMW while MB is just 1% or 1.5% higher. (last time I checked at a MB and BMW dealership prior to pandemic though so ya my information isn't up-to-date) I don't personally lease but that is just my personal preference. Another thing is, a lot of MB dealerships here in Canada is owned by MB Canada while all dealerships in BMW are franchised so maybe that is why. Newer inventory and factors like if the vehicle is nearing the last model year of that generation vs if it just came out as a new generation, new facelift (LCI) plays a role, different dealerships also plays a role as well in what kind of deal you are getting. So I always encourage people to shop around : )

Delivery - Here is one thing BMW does great...Performance Center Delivery. If you ever want to experience brand enthusiasm, PCD is just awesome. I was able to pick up my M235 at the M driving school and attend a half day training on a car identical to the one I bought. They then introduce you to your car, allow you to drive X5s on an offroad circuit and get a tour of the factory. The PC had the most knowledgeable staff I have ever seen and the car was delivered in the best detailed condition of any that I have ever purchased. Then you get to bond with it on the drive home. Highly recommended.

I see. Thanks for sharing this information, sounds very fun! MB in the past offered European delivery (if I am not mistaken, that is a similar experience to what BMW is providing?) for vehicles made in Germany and you get to visit the Centre of Excellence and too have a factory tour in Affalterbach and you might meet some of the engine builders but I heard they discontinued it in the USA, hopefully won't be discontinuing in Canada yet as it is indefinitely postponed due to covid. Please do share more about your experience with the Performance Center Delivery, will love to hear more about it. As for the circuit, MB offers are similar for their AMG customers, it wouldn't be off-road though but through their AMG Driving Academy programs, you get to go to many tracks around the world to experience their vehicles that way. It isn't free though. https://www.mercedes-amg.com/en/worl...g-academy.html

Those are just a few things. Overall, both are great cars. I'm just ready for a change.

I hope you will enjoy your new car as much as you did with the C43.
Wow, very in depth. Thanks for taking your time in answering the questions I asked. Thanks for sharing your opinions and personal experiences with both brands, there are interesting things you talked about that does help a potential buyer to choose one over the other, I am sure what you posted will help others here on the forum in choosing their next vehicle. I shared my thoughts, if you could please see my reply in your quote above that would be great.

Edit1: Hmmm, turns out AMG has a AMG Performance Centre although it isn't available in Canada where it is a dealership that focuses on AMG vehicles (perhaps like the M Centre you mentioned)
Edit2: I forgot to mention, Mercedes-AMG have a Private Lounge community that is hosted by Mercedes-AMG themselves that you can connect to with perks depending on your activity on the forum and sometimes insider news prior to public product announcements, I am unware if BMW also does. https://www.mercedes-amg.com/en/get-to-know-us.html
Edit3: Sorry, I just realized you mentioned you ordered a M3 comp, I was replying and didn't notice your post above. Please ignore the question I asked on did you order a M3 competition?

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-18-2021 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Hmmm, turns out AMG has a AMG Performance Centre although it isn't available in Canada where it is a dealership.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:30 AM

I’ll let you know how I like it once it arrives.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

I’ll let you know how I like it once it arrives.
Sounds good. Looking forward to hear about your experience! Thanks for updating us on this thread. Could I please ask you for a favour please, when you have time, no rush though can you please find my reply in your quote above. I bold your answers then I wrote a reply inside. It will be greatly appreciated if you can share your opinion on what I said (once you have time, of course no rush). I realized it probably wasn't a good idea for me to include the respond inside your quote therefore you might had missed it. If that is the case, sorry about that. Thank you.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 983 Posts
No more MB:(
Grill be damned, I think the new M3/4 is a great car. BMW trying to keep it real in offering a manual. AMG going 4 banger and hybrid...ugh.

Congrats and good luck with the M!
Old 06-21-2021, 12:42 PM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
I switch between AMG, M and Audi depending on who's a tuned last as the next manufacturer couldn't care less...Probably RS6 or 7 next on my list.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by places
Grill be damned, I think the new M3/4 is a great car. BMW trying to keep it real in offering a manual. AMG going 4 banger and hybrid...ugh.

Congrats and good luck with the M!
Thanks man. I'm pretty excited. Now I just need to find a buyer for my C43.