Sponsored by:

Rods and Pistons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C43 Eurocharged Stage ll
Lightbulb Rods and Pistons

So if I'm not mistaken, the m276 3.0t and the m177/m178 4.0t have the exact same bore/stroke/compression and I am under the impression they are essentially the same engines plus or minus 2 cylinders.

There are not any aftermarket options for upgraded internals that I am aware of for the 3.0, however there are several upgrade options for the 4.0.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could just order some Weistec con rods and pistons for the m177 and they should drop right into the 3.0 right?
Old 01-16-2024, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2016 C450 & 1978 Datsun 280z
Originally Posted by OrrackBoama
So if I'm not mistaken, the m276 3.0t and the m177/m178 4.0t have the exact same bore/stroke/compression and I am under the impression they are essentially the same engines plus or minus 2 cylinders.

There are not any aftermarket options for upgraded internals that I am aware of for the 3.0, however there are several upgrade options for the 4.0.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could just order some Weistec con rods and pistons for the m177 and they should drop right into the 3.0 right?
You are mistaken. Bore and stroke are different
Old 01-16-2024, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by panic_z
You are mistaken. Bore and stroke are different
Damn, I guess this source was wrong. No problem, it's less expensive to get them custom made anyways.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:57 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2010 C350 4Matic, 9 Motorcycles
Damn, I guess this source was wrong. No problem, it's less expensive to get them custom made anyways.

Are you getting a set of rods/pistons custom made for these the M276? If so, from where, what are you thinking in terms of specs, and perhaps they will give us a better price on two sets if I were to also purchase a set.

I am REALLY interested in getting some pistons coated with line2linecoatings self-clearencing and sending my turbo's down to get done as well. But I want to do it on a set that I purchase new.

What I am saying is I would be willing to go in on 2 sets if a manufacturer has a setup fee and then we are just paying for time and material.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Josh.A.Hussey
Are you getting a set of rods/pistons custom made for these the M276? If so, from where, what are you thinking in terms of specs, and perhaps they will give us a better price on two sets if I were to also purchase a set.

I am REALLY interested in getting some pistons coated with line2linecoatings self-clearencing and sending my turbo's down to get done as well. But I want to do it on a set that I purchase new.

What I am saying is I would be willing to go in on 2 sets if a manufacturer has a setup fee and then we are just paying for time and material.
Yeah I'd be down for that, but it's gonna be a few months at least. Just had our first kid, plus I gotta get the logistics together to make sure this build goes smoothly and doesn't sit in my garage for 6 months in various stages of completion lol. My brother has the exact same car as I do though so we could probably get at least us 3 in on the order. I'll keep you in mind when the time comes 👍
Old 01-16-2024, 06:49 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2010 C350 4Matic, 9 Motorcycles
Yeah I'd be down for that, but it's gonna be a few months at least. Just had our first kid, plus I gotta get the logistics together to make sure this build goes smoothly and doesn't sit in my garage for 6 months in various stages of completion lol. My brother has the exact same car as I do though so we could probably get at least us 3 in on the order. I'll keep you in mind when the time comes 👍
yeah that sounds good to me.
Maybe a month prior it would be wise to start a thread here for a potential group buy to get interest, although for something like rods and pistons it’s probably not going to yield any results but worth mentioning anyways.

In terms of rods, I will say right off the bat that aluminum for me is a no go, so I dunno what you were thinking in terms of material, but I was ***hoping*** titanium is what you were after.

A few months works for me too, I have 3 kids as well and I would like to put the turbos from modalworks on at the same time, and even then I would like to get them reworked at line2line to see what that coating can do in terms of turbo clearances. It also gives me time to get the water/meth and the new intercooler in.

Just let me know when you’re ready ol’ man. I’ve plenty to do in the meantime.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:37 AM

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C400 and '15 ML350
See this thread about a build with custom pistons and rods:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...shortly-4.html