Sponsored by:

Almost decided on C63!! Help me out! :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Ford Mustang GT
Almost decided on C63!! Help me out! :)

Well folks, I just recently got a promotion, and 5 years out of college and at 27 years old, I'm finally in the position to buy my dream car. I've narrowed it down to two choices, and I have done extensive research on both. My 2 finalists are:

1) 2009 Cadillac CTS-V

2) 2008/ 2009 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG

So there it is folks. I love both these cars passionately, and they are both in pretty much the same segment. I currently own a 2005 Ford Mustang GT (which I'm keeping, it's my baby) with the 300 horsepower V8 with lots of torque and I love muscle cars, so I will not even consider cars like the new BMW M3 with ample horsepower, but no torque to speak of. The thing that draws me about the Mercedes is that it's got a genuine big displacement 6.3 liter muscle car V8 with lots of torque! That is one hell of an amazing engine for the price! The only other car that will have such an engine is the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V, hence it is my other finalist. There are not a lot of details yet on the CTS-V, but they are saying that it will most likely have the 7.0 liter V8 from the next Corvette and around 500-600 horsepower! The glowing reviews of the 2008 regular CTS solidify it as a finalist for me. I'm guessing the base price of the CTS-V might be a bit lower than the C63 as well, but I'm not certain of that obviously. This is such a good position for me to be in, because I love both of these cars to death, and I really don't feel that I can make a bad decision, but based upon my background what do you suggest? Thanks so much guys!!
Old 09-29-2007, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
imo, it's a no-brainer, if u can afford the C63 than get it.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:04 PM

2005 Ford Mustang GT
I am leaning towards the C63, and the main reason being that even if the Cadillac has an initial horsepower advantage, I have to believe for the life of me that they have severely detuned the 6.3 liter V8 in the C63 to be at the 457 horses. If it can produce 500 horses in the E, then it can certainly produce much, much more in a lighter C!
Old 09-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CLK320, 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT
IMO...I would purchases the C63, what it would boil down to is the response from people, what do you think people's reaction would be when seeing you in the two cars, the CTS-V is an amazing car, and the new look of the CTS makes it even more attractive to buy...but look at the new C, have you seen it in person, it looks NOTHING like a C-Class, and the pictures of the C63 are just . So the Benz, hands down.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
Caddys are cool, but get the "C63"
Old 09-30-2007, 10:45 AM

There is really no bad decision when it comes to buying your first "dream" car. I think that once you drive both you'll see some pretty distinct advantages to the C63 Vs. the new CTS-V. Nonetheless, if the Caddy speaks to your "dream" better then get it, who are we to judge your dream?

There is definitely 50 more HP lurking underneath the hood of the C63, and there will be some tuner offering a kit that corrects the power difference with the E-class in fairly short order. The supercharged caddy will probably have even more potential power to unleash, since it's already boosted. Have fun making one of the best decisions of your life
Old 10-01-2007, 11:27 AM

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by CoupeBoy
IMO...I would purchases the C63, what it would boil down to is the response from people, what do you think people's reaction would be when seeing you in the two cars...

Wow. This is the #1 reason why I wouldn't want the C63. Are you compensating for some other shortcoming? I understand that MB are very nice cars and quite expensive. They should command a little bit of envious attention. Many people have worked long and hard to afford such a nice sled. But to soley purchase the AMG performance version of a car for that sole reason is lame. I want it b/c of the potential fun-factor it offers both in a straight line to work and on the track on the wknd. I regularly track my CTS-V and plan on doing so if I end up in the '09 V or a C63. I might come across as a hater and a bit jealous but I honestly don't see why people have to have the AMG versions if they're not going to be going to the strip or the track. Here in Bellevue, WA Porsches are a dime a dozen and I'll put money down that 95% of them NEVER see track time.

I just re-read my post and I really do sound like a hater. Sorry

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 AM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by C63AMG2B
Well folks, I just recently got a promotion, and 5 years out of college and at 27 years old, I'm finally in the position to buy my dream car. I've narrowed it down to two choices, and I have done extensive research on both. My 2 finalists are:

1) 2009 Cadillac CTS-V

So there it is folks. I love both these cars passionately, and they are both in pretty much the same segment. I currently own a 2005 Ford Mustang GT (which I'm keeping, it's my baby) with the 300 horsepower V8 with lots of torque and I love muscle cars, so I will not even consider cars like the new BMW M3 with ample horsepower, but no torque to speak of. The thing that draws me about the Mercedes is that it's got a genuine big displacement 6.3 liter muscle car V8 with lots of torque! That is one hell of an amazing engine for the price! The only other car that will have such an engine is the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V, hence it is my other finalist. There are not a lot of details yet on the CTS-V, but they are saying that it will most likely have the 7.0 liter V8 from the next Corvette and around 500-600 horsepower! The glowing reviews of the 2008 regular CTS solidify it as a finalist for me. I'm guessing the base price of the CTS-V might be a bit lower than the C63 as well, but I'm not certain of that obviously. This is such a good position for me to be in, because I love both of these cars to death, and I really don't feel that I can make a bad decision, but based upon my background what do you suggest? Thanks so much guys!!

Or buy a used CLS55/E55. They're probably in the same price range.

465 HP/514 FT LB Torque, great exhaust note

Last edited by chiphomme; 10-01-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:11 PM

My 2 finalists are:

1) 2009 Cadillac CTS-V

I'm have the exact same decision to make...and I'm also leaning toward the C63. It should be several hundred pounds lighter than the Caddy so will probably be faster on the track. The ONLY thing that prevents me from saying I want the C over the V right now is the transmission. I love the manual for fun-factor!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:11 PM

Before I buy another V, I'll wait and let g.m. sort the driveline out.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:46 PM

2006 CLK350
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
Wow. This is the #1 reason why I wouldn't want the C63. Are you compensating for some other shortcoming? I understand that MB are very nice cars and quite expensive. They should command a little bit of envious attention. Many people have worked long and hard to afford such a nice sled. But to soley purchase the AMG performance version of a car for that sole reason is lame. I want it b/c of the potential fun-factor it offers both in a straight line to work and on the track on the wknd. I regularly track my CTS-V and plan on doing so if I end up in the '09 V or a C63. I might come across as a hater and a bit jealous but I honestly don't see why people have to have the AMG versions if they're not going to be going to the strip or the track. Here in Bellevue, WA Porsches are a dime a dozen and I'll put money down that 95% of them NEVER see track time.

I just re-read my post and I really do sound like a hater. Sorry
You are right. Buying a car solely for name is stupid. Although if you read his post, he says the new C class looks good, not just the C63. By that I'm guessing he means it will have the "Mercedes effect." Isnt that why most people buy Benz's? You're on a Mercedes forum, so the members here are probally car enthusiats, and know what horsepower and torque is. But, most people who buy s600's or bentley's dont give a crap about 550 horses. They just know that their car is better than yours. To a certain extent, we are all trying to grab some attention with our cars..............i guess some more than others
Old 11-05-2007, 04:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL
are you sure you got promoted?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:53 AM

2007 Corvette Z06/2011 BMW M3
get the cts-v. It will spank everything when it comes out.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:33 AM

SL
Originally Posted by 6.3AMG
get the cts-v. It will spank everything when it comes out.

u serious????? american car?????

really funny
Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 CL63, 2008 S63, 2008 ML 63, 2008 S65
Originally Posted by phonetics
u serious????? american car?????

really funny
i have to agree.... i had a CTS-V with about 700 hp to the wheels, there wasnt a car around that could keep up untill i wreked... with a couple of small mods the CTS-V will be a beast plus the fact that it will be avaiable in 2WD 4WD automatic or manual so what ever you want you can get... just ask yourself what u want... u sound like you want an everyday car get the C63... if your using the mustang as your everyday and want a fast car to make even faster get the CTS-V hands down
Old 11-06-2007, 12:02 PM

c300
How can you love either car passionately? ... they're not even around yet. CTS-V is a twinkle in GM's eye and the C63 hasn't made it over here for an actual test drive yet.

And this completely personal opinion; I don't believe the C63 has enough rubber out back to put any of that power down. I'm all for smoky burnouts, but sometimes it's nice to actually, you know, go. I can't get excited about a car that's going to have the TC light flashing at me when I stomp it at 70mph to pass on the freeway. At least that's my guess, when that much torque gets applied to 255 width tires (or 265 for that matter). My little ole 330i with 265 michelin ps2's had trouble with traction off the line.

Not to mention the nose looks disproportionate since they didn't touch the rear of the car.

I'd go E63 over C63. Car just looks like a franken-car for bragging rights. Not cohesive enough for me.

But then the sound of an amg motor alone is worth the price of admission, so who knows.

I just read yesterday that it's rumored the CTS-V is going to have 500+ hp and AWD. That might make for an interesting combination.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by oblu
I just read yesterday that it's rumored the CTS-V is going to have 500+ hp and AWD. That might make for an interesting combination.
AWD? Where did you read that? The latest info I read was it'll have a detuned version of the upcoming super-vette's 650hp supercharged LS3. They projected high-500hp range. Hopefully it'll make about the same power as the upcoming 580hp Audi RS6.

Last edited by SeattleBum; 11-06-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Congrats on your promotion and best of luck in your decision.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:19 PM

c300
AWD? Where did you read that?
Here:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...aspx?AR=228987
And then all the online car blogs and forums have run with it. Like I said, rumor.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Go with the C63 AMG.......
Althogh the CTS-V looks good, the C63 still looks better and so much sportier and more aggressive than the CTS....

Ultimately, the best feedback you'll get is when you actually test drive both vehicles. But I can tell you this: AMG engines are fun to drive, fun to race and fun to abuse.......
Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Go with the C63 AMG.......
Althogh the CTS-V looks good, the C63 still looks better and so much sportier and more aggressive than the CTS....

Ultimately, the best feedback you'll get is when you actually test drive both vehicles. But I can tell you this: AMG engines are fun to drive, fun to race and fun to abuse.......
Looks better? Sportier? More aggressive? I see you have tested both.

All I'm gonna say is wait and see. I think you guys will be running for the hills, or to your nearest Cadillac dealer when this new CTS-V comes out.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:08 AM

SL
Originally Posted by STEALTHBOMBER
i have to agree.... i had a CTS-V with about 700 hp to the wheels, there wasnt a car around that could keep up untill i wreked... with a couple of small mods the CTS-V will be a beast plus the fact that it will be avaiable in 2WD 4WD automatic or manual so what ever you want you can get... just ask yourself what u want... u sound like you want an everyday car get the C63... if your using the mustang as your everyday and want a fast car to make even faster get the CTS-V hands down

i am just curious.. what's your rationale owning a S65 and S63?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by 6.3AMG
Looks better? Sportier? More aggressive? I see you have tested both.

All I'm gonna say is wait and see. I think you guys will be running for the hills, or to your nearest Cadillac dealer when this new CTS-V comes out.
You miss understood me, I was referring solely to the looks of both. So what I meant to say was the C63 looks better, looks more sportier, and looks more aggressive.

Something about the AMG engine gives you that extra joy and fun on the road......

Last edited by MB_Forever; 11-07-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:39 PM

Its your opinion the C63 looks better. I personally dont like the looks. I think its too guady and boy racer looking.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:42 PM

No longer car shopping...

1) 2009 Cadillac CTS-V

The CTS-V is a larger car. That may be important if your promotion requires you to periodically drive clients anywhere. The C63 is nice and newer body style and none of that "plasticy" GM interior. I hear they have stepped up the interiors on the newer CTS's so that they can compete with the European cars but have not yet seen anything other than the photos in magazines. From the photos, they do look 100% better than they used to. Onward to pricing though, the C63 is gonna be what, $80K? If so, it's not really such a "bargain for that much HP" but part of what you are paying for is the rest of the package. The V-series CTS Caddy will probably also be an $80K car so I doubt price would differentiate them much. One thing I CAN tell you is that once you get EITHER of these cars you will NEVER drive your beloved Cobra again. These cars will have more power, newer "gadgets", more prestige, better handling, quicker acceleration, etc. You'll see... Good luck with your search. If I were your age and with no kids, I'd pick myself up an nice used 2004 SL55 for around the $55K level (Less money, more prestige and the "top down" factor to boot). Yes, you can get a NICE one for around that $55K level if you shop around. You could even get a really nice, 15K mile CPO SL55 form a Benz dealer and also get the 100K mileage warranty that comes along with CPOs for around $65K

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Almost decided on C63!! Help me out! :)