C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no talk of Audi S5 here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw a white IBSI S5 and it looked sweet, not sure if the white C63 is as good looking but looks are only a part of the equation
Old 12-03-2007, 08:37 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Why no talk of Audi S5 here?
Yes, it's so hard to understand why. Perhaps if you did a "search" you'll find some mention.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Originally Posted by MTI
Yes, it's so hard to understand why. Perhaps if you did a "search" you'll find some mention.
LOL! Funny.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:25 AM

SL
just read audi roll out schedule until 2012.... what a boring list....

most likely the Audi CEO falls asleep too when looking at all these different models and has a hard time telling which one is which...
Old 12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by phonetics

most likely the Audi CEO falls asleep too when looking at all these different models and has a hard time telling which one is which...
No boredom in the MB lineup:

CEO's Q: So the letter "C" means the smaller class?

A: Yes, except when it refers to the really BIG coupe and sedan, CL and CLS.

Q: And the ML is the SUV but so is the GL. So the "L" refers to the SUV?

A: Well, the "ML" is really called the "M" class, although all of the models use the designator "ML." We couldn't call the "GL" class the "G" class (to be consistent) because we already have the G glass, which NEVER uses an "L". Oh, and we use an "L" in the "SL" class which is a roadster.

Q: So "L" means nothing?

A: Correct.

Q: But the "S" certainly refers to the big sedan?

A: Yes it does! Except when it's the SL, which is a mid-sized roadster, or the SLK which is an even smaller roadster. Oh, and there's another big sedan that's a CLS. We put all the letters in that one!

Q: So, on the SLK, what does "K" mean? Small? Where did that come from?

A: We don't know. But without it, we would have two "SLs" and that would be confusing, so we added a "K." We're thinking the "other" big sedan may need to be named the CLSK.

Q: Let's move on to the numbers, I assume that they all just refer to engine displacement.

A: Let's take a break for now.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 AM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring

A: Well, the "ML" is really called the "M" class, although all of the models use the designator "ML." We couldn't call the "GL" class the "G" class (to be consistent) because we already have the G glass, which NEVER uses an "L". Oh, and we use an "L" in the "SL" class which is a roadster.

A: Yes it does! Except when it's the SL, which is a mid-sized roadster, or the SLK which is an even smaller roadster. Oh, and there's another big sedan that's a CLS. We put all the letters in that one!

A: We don't know. But without it, we would have two "SLs" and that would be confusing, so we added a "K." We're thinking the "other" big sedan may need to be named the CLSK.

Q: Let's move on to the numbers, I assume that they all just refer to engine displacement.

Lol!!
Did you come up with that? Awesome!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:54 AM

E500, 3000GT and 3000GT VR-4, 335i

I don't know how someone can consider the RS6, RS5, TT-RS, A7 coupe, V10 R8, and R4 "boring".
Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by thegamemodo9
I don't know how someone can consider the RS6, RS5, TT-RS, A7 coupe, V10 R8, and R4 "boring".
Because they are just glorified Volkswagens for people who can't afford really good German cars.

PS: I believe the V8 R8 is also non-boring.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:37 PM

E500, 3000GT and 3000GT VR-4, 335i
Oh, how could I forget the V8 R8? What a pile of crap.

Seriously though, for someone who "hates" Audi, they certainly spend a lot of time antagonizing them. Why even bother looking at the scheduled rollout if you have such disdain for them?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:56 PM

SL

what's your point?

at least it's very easy to distinguish all these different models by looking at the exterior... i don't think anyone could possibly have any trouble to distingusih SL and SLK, CL and CLS, ML and GL, S and C, right? .... i mean they are just letters... who cares what they really mean....

but if u look at A3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 lined up next to each other, you will find they are all the same... they could just put A4 in the showroom and tell customers that a6 and a8 is a bigger a4, a3 is a smaller a4, a5 is same as a4 coupe, the s line is redundant, the rs line is amg wannabe ... their ceo could love this idea imagining how much rent they could have saved each year..

R8 and Q7 are the only 2 exceptions... we should applaud for that..
Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
You should get your eyes checked if you think the A6 and A8 are a bigger version of the A4. Or the A5 is the same as the A4 Cabriolet.

Yep, the A5 looks a lot like the A4 Cab...

S-Line redundant? What about MB slapping on AMG body parts on the sport models to make it look like a AMG? You don't think that's redundant?

RS Lineup AMG wannabe? Last I checked, AMG doesn't even offer a stick shift for those who want to row their own gears in their high performance line up.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
I don't think the S5 is a competitor of the C63.
yah
it's more like competitor for c55 or e46 m3.

don't know if they will ever come out with RS5, then it's in the same ballpark as c63 or the new m3
Old 12-11-2007, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG

but if u look at A3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 lined up next to each other, you will find they are all the same...

You make my point for me. Thanks.

Q7 and A4 look a LOT alike. Audi has a very rational naming scheme. MB does not. That was my point.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212

From the language. Compact is "Kompakt" in German.
SLK is actually SL Kompakt (compact SL)
CLK is CL Kompakt (compact CLK)

SL is of course Sport Leicht (Sport Light), and CL is Comfort Leicht.
(Please note that everyone is aware that the current productions aren’t light by any means)

E stands for Einspritzung (fuel injection) which was the main feature when this model was first introduced back then.

S stands for Sonderklasse which means "Special Class" for obvious reasons.

G stands for Gelandewagen (cross country)

CLS is always marketed as a 4-door coupe, so I’m gonna guess that CLS stands for “CL Sonder” or a special version of CL ?? Maybe ??

So looks like MB had no intention to sort them alphabetically based on size.
I'm not sure about ML & GL, so I'm gonna need some help here.

Now I wonder what A4 stands for ? A5 ? A6 ? Anyone wants to explain ? Please do so. I wouldn’t mind learning about the history.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 360_iti

(Please note that everyone is aware that the current productions aren’t light by any means)

E stands for Einspritzung (fuel injection) which was the main feature when this model was first introduced back then.

CLS is always marketed as a 4-door coupe, so I’m gonna guess that CLS stands for “CL Sonder” or a special version of CL ?? Maybe ??

Now I wonder what A4 stands for ? A5 ? A6 ? Anyone wants to explain ? Please do so. I wouldn’t mind learning about the history.

I think the "A" in Audi names means "Audi" but then what does "Q" mean? (In Q7.)
Old 12-11-2007, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great information! I learned something today for a change.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Great information! I learned something today for a change.
Good, now all of the sudden Mercedes naming system seems to make sense doesn’t it.
Now let’s take a look at Audi and BMW.
What does A4 stand for? A for Audi? Ok. And the 4? 4 cylinders? 4 wheel drive? 4 doors? So the A6 has 6 cylinders? or 6 doors? hmm.. what about A5? 5 cylinders?
I’m getting confused here. OK let’s move on.

Let’s talk about BWM shall we. 3-series.. what does the 3 mean? 3.. umm.. I can’t think of any logical reason why the company used the number 3. Why not 2 or 1?
And they have 5-series being the mid-size, and the 7 series being the full-size. And now there’s 6 series which logically is supposed to be in between 5 and 7 series based on size? Price? none of them fits.

Get my point? Who doesn’t seem to make sense now?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good, now all of the sudden Mercedes naming system seems to make sense doesn’t it.
Now let’s take a look at Audi and BMW.
What does A4 stand for? A for Audi? Ok. And the 4? 4 cylinders? 4 wheel drive? 4 doors? So the A6 has 6 cylinders? or 6 doors? hmm.. what about A5? 5 cylinders?
I’m getting confused here. OK let’s move on.

Let’s talk about BWM shall we. 3-series.. what does the 3 mean? 3.. umm.. I can’t think of any logical reason why the company used the number 3. Why not 2 or 1?
And they have 5-series being the mid-size, and the 7 series being the full-size. And now there’s 6 series which logically is supposed to be in between 5 and 7 series based on size? Price? none of them fits.

Get my point? Who doesn’t seem to make sense now?
LOL!! Good read!

What about Saab?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 PM

my car

actually, i think that the K in SLK stood originally for Kurtz or Short. minor detail, really, and the rest is correct.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Originally Posted by iolithblue
actually, i think that the K in SLK stood originally for Kurtz or Short. minor detail, really, and the rest is correct.
Thanks. I thought it was "Klein" at first, which means "small". Then my buddy told me it stood for "Kompakt", which I thought made more sense. Half of the websites out there interpret the "K" as Kompakt (including Deutsch wikipedia) and the other half believe it stands for Kurtz. I'm curious now.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
I know I'm going to loose some credibility here (if I ever had any ) but I'm generally siding with idiot of the week on the whole Audi/Benz debate (if not his delivery). Also please realize that a lot of this is subjective (I hate pineapple on pizza; that doesn't mean that someone who likes pineapple on pizza can say I 'know nothing' about pizza - if you saw my waist you would know that I'm a damn pizza-genius!). I've spent a lot of time in both and I think the Audi interiors are cheap and fisher-price appearing, and in some cases in construction as well. I LOVE my B5 S4, it's way more FUN to drive than my C32 but for comfort, luxury, and style, I would rather be in my C32 than even the B7 RS4 any day of the week - I was pretty close to buying an RS4 but after driving it for a while I couldn't wait to get back into my C32. The seat stitching is nicer on the RS4 but that's about where my preference over the MB ends. I can't get the RS4 seat into a position that is comfortable. The motor doesn't feel substantially stronger than my C32. The suspension is much, much better on the RS4 and the road feel is much more direct. But in general, I DO think that the Audis are a step below MB and BMW (which for us 'normal' folks are probably near the top of the line - Porsche is going to change all of that I think with the Panamara - the Cayenne TT is way more car than MB and BMW offer right now - even the G55). Ultimately my opinion on the Audi/BMW/MB debate wraps up like this:

Style/Class
Driving
Practical
Reliability

Audi - specifically S/RS models: excellent cars and the most practical due to generally lower cost and an amazing AWD system. Great motors, storied and respected history but basically one step up from a VW.

Style/Class: 3
Driving: 4
Practical: 5
Reliability: 2

BMW - specifically M: Highest quality construction, best 'driver' car, connected to the road, visceral and probably the best outright performance car. Physics prefers RWD in the dry - even the more race-modded Audis have a very rear-biased diff - the Stasis diff I'm putting in my S4 is 80/20 on exit.

Style/Class: 4.5
Driving: 5
Practical: 3
Reliability:3

Mercedes - specifically AMG: Fastest of all 3 in a straight line but falling short on just about every other racing metric. The most comfortable to be in and generally more of the amenities. Much better 'wow' factor than the others IMHO.

Style/Class: 5+
Driving: 3.5

All of this ignores things like the R8 (5,5,1,2) and say a CLK63 black (4,5,1,2), of course and is an over-generalization - having owned all 3 I will choose the Mercedes in just about every driving circumstance outside of the track in which case I'll take either of the others and be happy.

As for status (aka the glorified VW debate)?...ask yourself honestly - if you're taking your wife to some swank party with people you want to impress would you EVER choose the Audi over the MB/BMW of the same class (I don't mean an A8 v. a C240 coupe)?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:00 AM

SL
Originally Posted by Bif powell

As for status (aka the glorified VW debate)?...ask yourself honestly - if you're taking your wife to some swank party with people you want to impress would you EVER choose the Audi over the MB/BMW of the same class (I don't mean an A8 v. a C240 coupe)?

reality is u re not gonna impress anyone with c32...

as for status, there's not much difference between RS4 and C32....

if i had to choose, i ll rather take a taxi than driving RS4 or C32 to a party...
Old 12-12-2007, 04:56 AM

06 RS4
Originally Posted by Bif powell
I know I'm going to loose some credibility here (if I ever had any ) but I'm generally siding with idiot of the week on the whole Audi/Benz debate (if not his delivery). Also please realize that a lot of this is subjective (I hate pineapple on pizza; that doesn't mean that someone who likes pineapple on pizza can say I 'know nothing' about pizza - if you saw my waist you would know that I'm a damn pizza-genius!). I've spent a lot of time in both and I think the Audi interiors are cheap and fisher-price appearing, and in some cases in construction as well. I LOVE my B5 S4, it's way more FUN to drive than my C32 but for comfort, luxury, and style, I would rather be in my C32 than even the B7 RS4 any day of the week - I was pretty close to buying an RS4 but after driving it for a while I couldn't wait to get back into my C32. The seat stitching is nicer on the RS4 but that's about where my preference over the MB ends. I can't get the RS4 seat into a position that is comfortable. The motor doesn't feel substantially stronger than my C32. The suspension is much, much better on the RS4 and the road feel is much more direct. But in general, I DO think that the Audis are a step below MB and BMW (which for us 'normal' folks are probably near the top of the line - Porsche is going to change all of that I think with the Panamara - the Cayenne TT is way more car than MB and BMW offer right now - even the G55). Ultimately my opinion on the Audi/BMW/MB debate wraps up like this:

Style/Class
Driving
Practical
Reliability

Audi - specifically S/RS models: excellent cars and the most practical due to generally lower cost and an amazing AWD system. Great motors, storied and respected history but basically one step up from a VW.

Style/Class: 3
Driving: 4
Practical: 5

BMW - specifically M: Highest quality construction, best 'driver' car, connected to the road, visceral and probably the best outright performance car. Physics prefers RWD in the dry - even the more race-modded Audis have a very rear-biased diff - the Stasis diff I'm putting in my S4 is 80/20 on exit.

Style/Class: 4.5
Driving: 5
Reliability:3

Mercedes - specifically AMG: Fastest of all 3 in a straight line but falling short on just about every other racing metric. The most comfortable to be in and generally more of the amenities. Much better 'wow' factor than the others IMHO.

Style/Class: 5+
Driving: 3.5

All of this ignores things like the R8 (5,5,1,2) and say a CLK63 black (4,5,1,2), of course and is an over-generalization - having owned all 3 I will choose the Mercedes in just about every driving circumstance outside of the track in which case I'll take either of the others and be happy.

UFB!.....that was deep. But you're absolutely right...why didn't i see this before. Audi = POS. Life is so much better now. *** the S5, POS, I'm buying my wife the C63. What the hell was i thinking? Oh and it's settled....*** the new RS6 i wanted to buy, POS! Yea Haaaa, calling the MB dealer tomorrow........I'm gettin a 2002 C32. Cuz when i take my wife to some swank party with people i want to impress, i would NEVER show up in an Audi......POS!

Oh no no no Bif, don't sell yourself short....PLEASE!!! Compared to you Bif, idiot of the week is a little leaguer.....you're in a league of your own.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
I'm not saying anyone is going to be impressed with MY C32 (hell I'm not even impressed with it) I'm saying 'real' Mercedes like a CL v. the S5 I think the CL is a much more impressive machine. The 745 is much more impressive than the A8, etc... If anyone thought I was talking about my C32 in the same category as a CL or S5, well that's just silly. I'm talking about the car-makers as a whole and how people perceive them. The party example is a silly hypothetical to illustrate a point - just like the Audi and Mercedes at the bottom of a snowy hill hypothetical.

Also, come off the sarcasm - I'm definitely NOT saying the Audi is a POS - I love Audis! I love MY Audi (!) and I will defend Audis as great cars any day of the week. But it has different strengths than the others. It's just an opinion man, no reason for the vitriol. It makes me sad that you're not representing us Audi-enthusiasts with much class.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
reality is u re not gonna impress anyone with c32..as for status, there's not much difference between RS4 and C32.

Originally Posted by LanuckRS4
UFB!.....that was deep. But you're absolutely right...why didn't i see this before. Audi = POS. Life is so much better now. *** the S5, POS, I'm buying my wife the C63. What the hell was i thinking? Oh and it's settled....*** the new RS6 i wanted to buy, POS! Yea Haaaa, calling the MB dealer tomorrow........I'm gettin a 2002 C32. Cuz when i take my wife to some swank party with people i want to impress, i would NEVER show up in an Audi......POS! Oh no no no Bif, don't sell yourself short....PLEASE!!! Compared to you Bif, idiot of the week is a little leaguer.....you're in a league of your own.

Oh that was deep. You sir are missing the point big time. I guess you were unable to grasp the idea because your mama wasn’t here to spoonfeed you huh.
OK I’ll be nice this time.
Scenario 1. Swank party, friends to impress. Choose car: 2007 Mercedes S600 sedan vs 2007 Audi A8 sedan vs 2007 BMW 760 Li sedan?
Or
Scenario 2. Swank party, friends to impress. Choose car: 2007 A6 sedan vs 2007 E550 sedan vs BMW 550i sedan.
Etc
Nobody was talking about C32 vs RS4. Why? Because the RS4 is in a different league, not comparable with the C32. Did any of the automotive magazines ever compare between the two? No. Why not? Like I said previously just in case you were unable to understand again, they are not comparable.
Get the idea? No? I thought so. Oh well, I've tried.

**** noob, you’re irritating me with your sheer idiocy. You drive an RS4 and some people in this forum had hoped to gain some knowledge from you, which apparently is non existence. News flash, this forum isn’t merely about what car you drive, but it’s about sharing useful ideas and constructive knowledge as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why no talk of Audi S5 here?