Sponsored by:

What to think of Top Gear's review of C63 VS M3 Vs Rs4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by BBD

The Merc IS the better car in the real world we live in it wins in every aspect. for track handling it will stay the BMW for many factors.

You're mistaken.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Almost a Member!

c280
Originally Posted by BBD
Omg you are all missing the point or just as blind as bats. WHY did the BMW win on the track it has Manuel Transmission Down shifts are better heel and toe OFC its going to be better than your auto thats the first point ,, 2nd point is that M3 was a 2 DOOR CAR shorter and will handle better and it weights 100Kg's LESS than the Merc.

The Merc IS the better car in the real world we live in it wins in every aspect. for track handling it will stay the BMW for many factors.
It won on the track because it is a better car on the track. Whatever excuses you can list make no difference. AMG set out to take on the M3 at track disciplines and lost by a large margin. The rest is history.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:16 AM
OPM

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
... the very idea of hustling seat heaters and a sat navigation system around a racetrack is absurd ...

What heater and nav????
Old 12-29-2007, 03:02 AM
OPM

Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
I don't know about you guys but i don't know ONE MB owner who "tracks" their car. Many MB owners could careless what the car could do on a "track" or the "twisties"...i will never find myself in the "twisties". The MB is the more practical car, and is much faster in everyday light to light racing.
Wow, I cannot believe AMG owners track their cars??? Why would anybody waste such a beautiful piece of engineering on juvenile pursuits when they can race 16year olds at red lights? I know that every time I pull up to red light I pray for an opportunity to race a ricer. When I win, I get hard and feel like a man. My entire 4” get engorged with blood.

Can you believe this looser took his brand new C55 to track???

Oh wait. I am that looser. F@#k me!
Old 12-29-2007, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
well put sir...
Fact is, people can't drive their cars like F&F Tokyo Drift style... Unless you go out to a track, you don't really need to unleash car's full potential other then braking.

I donno bout other guys but I'll like to have C63 ova M3 or RS4 plez.
Mo powah = Mo fun... Period..
+1
Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Now we have another head to head test on a race track with laptimes on a racetrack, which I prefer because it is much more objective than anybody's opinion about a car's performance. Like the previous one by Evo magazine, this confirms the fact that the E92 M3 is faster than the W204 C63 AMG by quite a significant margin when it comes to overall performance on a track. .
That would be the track test that Evo did in a cold, wet November when the 0-60 times for both M3 and C63 were 5.6s ? How objective is that when you consider the traction of the track? No doubt a high torque car will be disadvantaged in those conditions.

Regards

Andy
Old 12-29-2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

Objective data is hard to refute. Same day, same driver, same track, -- that takes many variables out of the equation. As many as humanly possible.
When you spend multiple corners squashing an apple how objective is that and how much is due to entertainment ?

I think some people lose the point of Top Gear here, it's a boys toys show of extremes.

Regards

Andy
Old 12-29-2007, 08:53 AM

And finally ..

I'm amused that on track days that for a lot of people here a top time is so important. That being the case why are you bothered with an M3 or C63 and instead not get a Radical? It's cheaper as well

Are people so obsessed with trackday times that they are disappointed that a road car cannot do X Y or Z and therefore will not buy it? I was always under the impression that track days were for letting your hair down and having a bit of fun without the "law" carting you off. I have only ever done one track day and it was in torrential rain and the Honda Integra R we had a go in was far quicker than the Porsche 993, but the Porsche was far more fun until we accidentally parked it backwards on the infield ....

Mind you 9100rpm on the Integra R was pretty impressive, fantastic car, like a Swiss Rolex. I digress though.

All this talk of disappointment in a car because of the stopwatch points to speaking at the bar with a drink in hand rather than having a bit of fun. Or should I say the modern day equivalent of spouting on the Internet?

My preference is man over machine, engine over chassis, but I can also respect the other viewpoint of combined whole.

As long as we are enjoying ourselves by whatever floats our boat, that is the mainthing.

Regards

Andy
Old 12-29-2007, 03:15 PM

2010 ML63
^^ +1
Old 12-29-2007, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
I have been keeping an eye on this thread since the season finale of Top Gear aired. I must admit I am a little disappointed. Not in the C63 but in some of my fellow forum members.
Through all the posts, some eloquent and some, well, not so, most of you seem to have lost the ability of reason and independent thought. To condemn any vehicle based on a review done by the Three Stooges on Top Gear is just plain misguided. Don't get me wrong, I love Top Gear for what it is. Great entertainment. Boys with expensive toys having fun. For the most part very entertaining and I do look forward to the weekly hour I spend with my now 2 year old Son watching it. (its one of the few shows we share, ooooh and aaaah at together)
When it comes to reviewing the new C63 I will trust my "Three Stooges". My Right Foot, Backside and Heart. After all, it is my money I may or may not be spending

Can't wait!!! I am sure it won't disappoint

Last edited by NORTH 44 C63; 12-29-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:43 PM

does it really matter which car wins on the track or which car does betta powerslides? the C63 could've been 5 secs slower and i still would've choose it over the others cos i'm a Merc fan and i don't do track days and i don't take corners like a maniac..who cares what 3 whinging poms think anyway, topgear's an entertaining show but i value Tiff from 5th gear's opinion more than Jeremy's...at least Tiff was a professional racer...
Old 01-01-2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by NORTH 44 C55
I To condemn any vehicle based on a review done by the Three Stooges on Top Gear is just plain misguided.

damn right...the show's starting to **** me off actually, they're always so anti american and japnese, and i watched a 'review' of the fiat 500 and what a joke, 3/4s of the segment was james may racing some punks on BMXs...WTF does that got to do with the car??
Old 01-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Almost a Member!

c280
Originally Posted by picklesam
but i value Tiff from 5th gear's opinion more than Jeremy's...at least Tiff was a professional racer...

And being an ex professional racer he will pick the M3 all day long as the car he prefers.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:38 PM
BBD

Depends on the month
Coded Scroll up and read please instead of skimming threw words and making your own version of what people are saying. the "C63 Merc IS the better car car" I say this again incase you missed what I said. On the road, and the real world it is far superior its the mans car. u talk about track and lap times they are both crap compared to whats avilable for 1/4 of the price, like stated before me SR3 Radical.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Almost a Member!

c280
Originally Posted by BBD
Coded Scroll up and read please instead of skimming threw words and making your own version of what people are saying. the "C63 Merc IS the better car car" I say this again incase you missed what I said. On the road, and the real world it is far superior its the mans car. u talk about track and lap times they are both crap compared to whats avilable for 1/4 of the price, like stated before me SR3 Radical.
Well you share that opinion with nobody who has actually tested them back to back. Care to watch the Top Gear review again ? Harsh ride is amongst the may reasons the C63 is not as good a daily driver and never will be.

Sorry to rain on your parade.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:02 AM
BBD

Depends on the month
I understand your a magazine junkie you read and talk about what others say and done your not the type that has actions with words ,, but if you have an M3 and get blown away by a C63 in the distance future I hope you talk about it.

The C63 was on my list but I went for the CLS63 because the interior suited me better I also used to race professional so I know what the track is all abou,t and most prolly have owned more BMV's and Mercs than you will ever do in your life time.. so please do go read your articals and mags and talk about what others are saying cheers
Old 01-02-2008, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Originally Posted by coded
And being an ex professional racer he will pick the M3 all day long as the car he prefers.
Didn't he pick the Audi R8 in the final episode from last series?

On the three cars, I would most definitely choose the C63 over the others, easier to live with, looks better, sounds better, no need to rev the hell out of the engine to squeeze out the power (torque lover), and the most important thing, you don't have to press the POWER button every time you start the car. It still annoys me everytime I go drive my M6 that I have to press the button. Why? Why can't I have the full 500hp (before mods) working for me right off the bet? That button is just stupid. Same thing with the 957 Cayenne my wife just picked up, what is the purpose of a Sport button being there? Fuel economy? I think when you are driving a Porsche, AMG, or M, fuel economy should be the least of your concern.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
i chose amg becaue it is rare, comfortable, and fast for the kind of fast i can get away with on the streets (of mexico)

seems like not much has changed

other than that i'm hoping to be as fast as the new car soon...
Old 01-02-2008, 02:27 AM
Almost a Member!

c280
Originally Posted by BBD
I understand your a magazine junkie you read and talk about what others say and done your not the type that has actions with words ,, but if you have an M3 and get blown away by a C63 in the distance future I hope you talk about it.

The C63 was on my list but I went for the CLS63 because the interior suited me better I also used to race professional so I know what the track is all abou,t and most prolly have owned more BMV's and Mercs than you will ever do in your life time.. so please do go read your articals and mags and talk about what others are saying cheers
Well I have driven and owned more of them than you imagine. But heck you don't know me and I don't know you.

If you know what the track is all about you would be buying an M3 as this is the track car of choice clearly. Mercedes don't steer and they never have. The C63 was supposed to arrest this problem but it has not. If I wanted a straight line screamer I would buy the Z09 and be done with it. I want the package though and the M3 is a total package !
Old 01-02-2008, 07:24 AM

996 C4, previously owned 996 c2, c32 amg, 350z, R33 GTR, R34 GTR
Ive just driven the new M3 and have to say that

1. The interior is nearly identical to a non -M 3 series

2. You have to rev the nuts off it to get meaningful acceleration

3. Brakes feel dead

4. Steering feels very artificial, especially with some lock applied

5. Nice gearshift, positive and direct

6. Engine is too quiet and maybe too refined?

7. Good traction in a straight line from rest even in slippery conditions

8. Why do manufacturers insist on SPORT Buttons, with it off the engine felt flat and with it ON it was hypersensitive and non-linear. Just leave it with a natural response and let the driver decide on how he or she wants to drive.

Overall, came away feeling underwhelmed.M division have softened this car up and it felt like a more peaky version of the 335i.
I look forward to a drive in the 63 when we (my company) get one in for evaluation).

I much preferred the RS4 as a practical sports coupe/saloon.

I would say dont believe motoring journo`s and go out and decide for yourself.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 AM

2000 ML430
Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
I don't know about you guys but i don't know ONE MB owner who "tracks" their car. Many MB owners could careless what the car could do on a "track" or the "twisties"...i will never find myself in the "twisties".
I for one don't, which is why I also own a Porsche. Use the right tool for the right job, simple as that.

Plus I'm far more inclined to believe Jeremy and the crew than anyone else. They have no problem telling you what they really think of any car. Hell, I've even seen them roast British cars, even though Jeremy is clearly a Brito-phile.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by coded
If you know what the track is all about you would be buying an M3 as this is the track car of choice clearly.
Long-term track junkies are usually past the street-racer phase and will buy a street car that matches their actual needs for street driving. They'll favor a more comfortable sports sedan over a hard-edged quasi-racecar any day. If they want a track car, they usually have a proper one on a trailer.

Keep in mind that the #1 motivator of car makers is sales. Yes, they worry about the corporate image and legacy, but it all mean naught if the company loses money. Sales are highly influenced by the media reviews of cars, and the media will always match the C63 to the M3 and the RS4. And the car mags are obsessed with 0-60 and lap times because they are objective.

Things like ride comfort, ergonomics and interior materials are important, but almost impossible to measure in an absolute or relative sense. Too bad, since the MB/AMG brand should appeal to a wider audience than the M3. But when the media is so obsessed with measuring the C63 against the M3, the advantages get ignored. Worse, it appears that MB may have forfeited some of what made the C63 preferable to the M3 in an effort to beat the M3.

Clearly, the bigger AMGs attract a wider audience.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 01-02-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:37 AM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
By then Benz will uncork the 50HP that they took away from the 6.3 in the C63.
yup and by then BMW will launch the M3 CSL, I think the C63 will only get the extra HP if they do a Black Series.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by KiwiRobbie
yup and by then BMW will launch the M3 CSL, I think the C63 will only get the extra HP if they do a Black Series.

Agreed, but that was my point. Each maker will continue to develop their cars. Adding hypotheticals is fine, but there will be hypotheticals on both sides.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by chiphomme
As well as someone debating that somehow having a car that does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds versus 4.3 seconds makes it a better real world vehicle.
The C63 appears to falling short in the driveability comparison too. In fact the only thing it seems to do better than the M3 is brute acceleration.
After reading and seeing several reviews it appears the M3 is the better great all around car.
M3 is easier to go fast in but it doesnt mean the c63 cannot compare. Just like the vid showed the stig had trouble controlling the c63. Same with the carrera gt. Give him time to learn the car and he'll shave seconds off. Now time may come off the bimmer too but the m3's lap looked near perfect. Track times depend on too many factors to make one lap and absolute indication of which car is faster. One may be easier to get the fast time, but it doesnt nessesarily mean its faster. If someone put a gun to the stig's head and told him he has to shave 5 seconds off that lap time Im pretty sure he could, even though it may take a while.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to think of Top Gear's review of C63 VS M3 Vs Rs4