C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Article on All-New Cadillac CTS-V With ZR-1's Engine!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
the question is trust

Originally Posted by SeattleBum
Typical blind ignorance to US products...the 2004 CTSV beat the Audi S4 around the track IN THE RAIN on Top Gear back in '04. The STIG was driving the Audi too!

This video is mine...and I've only done 5 track days in my life! The suspension on this 3850 lb car rocks. I've added a couple things to tighten it up a little more but it comes ready for the twisties right from the factory.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/c...2c00183349.htm

The US GM is capable of building anything they want, but are most Americans going to buy a stiff car to drive on our crappy poorly-maintained roads?
america has got to climb out of a hole so deep they might as well dig another six inches and let the ocean from japan fill it and float them out.they have to gain our trust back! DESIGN,EFFICIENCY,LONGEVITY,.im not gonna believe gm until i have to eat a big SH** sandwich of envy.i dont see it happening soon. bones
Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by KiwiRobbie
It might be blind arrogance but name me one American designed product which is popular outside the American market, you won't find any, American cars are made for the North American market and are hopelessly outclassed outside of it, they are only attractive to a very small minority of car buyers.
I'm not really sure what your statement here is...it has NOTHING to do with your original comment I quoted:

Can it go around a corner without falling off the road, I still don't think GM in the US can build a car that handles as well as the Germans. Now if GM Holden's HSV outfit in Australia had had a go at the handling then I would feel confident that it would handle properly.
Seems like you just like to change the subject to suit your ever-changing point.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 PM

C63 / ////AMG
Here's my take on the '09 CTS-V:

Although it's not nearly as sexy as the C63 and has little relative snob appeal, it may be faster in the drag racing and performance (i.e. LSD) department than the C63. Given the current state of the U.S. economy (i.e. recession) - better deals on the CTS-V are to be had - especially when it comes to a lease.

Since I plan on dumping my C55 the middle of this year and entering into a new lease agreement regardless of the next brand I buy, the CTS-V has sparked my interest.

Decisions, decisions.......
Old 01-28-2008, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by beemaze
Here's my take on the '09 CTS-V:

Although it's not nearly as sexy as the C63 and has little relative snob appeal, it may be faster in the drag racing and performance (i.e. LSD) department than the C63. Given the current state of the U.S. economy (i.e. recession) - better deals on the CTS-V are to be had - especially when it comes to a lease.

Since I plan on dumping my C55 the middle of this year and entering into a new lease agreement regardless of the next brand I buy, the CTS-V has sparked my interest.

Decisions, decisions.......
I looked at a new CTS recently, and I was *stunned* at the interior quality and layout. I didn't have a chance to drive it, but it is a beautiful piece, is very well equipped and thought-out and from what I've heard, it drives fantastically, has a great ride, is very quiet, etc. so I'd assume that it's a great value in more than the speed department.

In fact, this is the first GM-built car in about ten years that I would give serious consideration to purchasing (not the -V, but the regular one; kind of easing out of the high-perf market for my next ride!). As an added bonus, it burns regular gas (don't think the -V will, though), which saves around 10% on fuel bills...
Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by Improviz
I looked at a new CTS recently, and I was *stunned* at the interior quality and layout. I didn't have a chance to drive it, but it is a beautiful piece, is very well equipped and thought-out and from what I've heard, it drives fantastically, has a great ride, is very quiet, etc. so I'd assume that it's a great value in more than the speed department.

In fact, this is the first GM-built car in about ten years that I would give serious consideration to purchasing (not the -V, but the regular one; kind of easing out of the high-perf market for my next ride!). As an added bonus, it burns regular gas (don't think the -V will, though), which saves around 10% on fuel bills...
4300 pounds is too much avoirdupois for me to take.

The C63 at 4000 bothers me but isn't a deal breaker.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by GBlansten
4300 pounds is too much avoirdupois for me to take.

The C63 at 4000 bothers me but isn't a deal breaker.
Well, its weight is more in line with the CLS55/E55 (which are also supercharged), and so is its interior space...it's considerably larger than a C Class, and so weighs more accordingly.

But yeah, the C63 will be the lighter car.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by Improviz
Well, its weight is more in line with the CLS55/E55 (which are also supercharged), and so is its interior space...it's considerably larger than a C Class, and so weighs more accordingly.

But yeah, the C63 will be the lighter car.
I agree with that. The CTS is a larger car with a price more in line with the C-class and 3-series.

I wouldn't consider it because of that issue and by necessity its weight.

I do agree with others who think the interior represents a nice step forward.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by GBlansten
I agree with that. The CTS is a larger car with a price more in line with the C-class and 3-series.

I wouldn't consider it because of that issue and by necessity its weight.

I do agree with others who think the interior represents a nice step forward.
The manual trans will weigh 4200, the auto 4300lbs. It's a larger car that barely weighs more than the C63 and the US-version RS4 (which both weigh about 4000lbs).
Old 01-29-2008, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
The manual trans will weigh 4200, the auto 4300lbs. It's a larger car that barely weighs more than the C63 and the US-version RS4 (which both weigh about 4000lbs).
Let's not forget that the new CTS is designed to compete with the likes of the E-Class and 5-Series. It's really not in the same class as the C anymore. It is not the CTS of yore, they have moved the model upmarket. Likewise with the STS, which will be targeting the 7-Series now. Price-wise they may be comparable, but I like the interior on the CTS many times more than the C-class interior.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 PM

grocery getter
My take on the CTSV after seeing it at the NAIAS is that it is trying too hard. I LOVE the power plant but the exterior wants to be noticed too much and since I don't find it attractive, that's not a good thing.

Kudos to GM for offering such a beastly four door though....
Old 01-31-2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Let's not forget that the new CTS is designed to compete with the likes of the E-Class and 5-Series. It's really not in the same class as the C anymore. It is not the CTS of yore, they have moved the model upmarket. Likewise with the STS, which will be targeting the 7-Series now. Price-wise they may be comparable, but I like the interior on the CTS many times more than the C-class interior.
I've heard pretty reliable rumors that the STS is being discontinued. It is too close in size to the current CTS. The CTS will take it's place and Cadillac is going to introduce a smaller entry-level car to replace the CTS market.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
M5 weighs 4,012lbs, per the BMW brochure. Includes driver, 90% fuel and some luggage. FYI, that's only 100lbs more than the M6
Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
As far as it not being able to hit 60 in less than 4, why not? I mean, really, are you telling me that 550 hp and 550 lb. ft. with a 6 spd. is not enough to move a 4k lb. vehicle this quick? that makes no sense. Hell, if an E63 can do it in 3.9 (check the 211 forum, its there), why shouldn't a lighter car with about 85 more tq. and ~50 more hp be able to do it in a couple tenths less? Believe it or not, the super lite Z06 is probably going to be slower to 60, because it weighs about as much as a paper clip, and this makes it super hard to hook up, kinda like the AMG 65s, like how an SL65 took .2 longer than a much less powerful 600 due to wheelspin.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:17 AM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
I've heard pretty reliable rumors that the STS is being discontinued. It is too close in size to the current CTS. The CTS will take it's place and Cadillac is going to introduce a smaller entry-level car to replace the CTS market.
We already have that in Europe the BLS, which is a rebodied Saab 9-3. They have been out for about 12 months now and I have yet to see one, they actually look quite attractive.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
We already have that in Europe the BLS, which is a rebodied Saab 9-3. They have been out for about 12 months now and I have yet to see one, they actually look quite attractive.

The BLS is not a North American model. The CTS is the current "entry level" player in the Caddy line-up. I will agree with you on some of your statement, but I dis-agree with a lot of your statement too! Yes, GM and the rest of the American auto makers are in a slump. They have had some brilliant machines over the past several years, and have several more on their way. The current Z06 and upcoming ZR1 have rattled a few cages in Stutgart, and Marenello. We have all heard the stories that Ferarri refussed to provide F430's to major US Auto magazines to use in head to head comparisons with the Z06 when it came out a couple years ago. They were affraid to get beat by a $80,000 supercar! I am the last person you need to talk to about American quality issues. I have replaced 6 rear ends on my CTS-V 4 of them came out of my own pocket as well as 2 transmissions paid for by your truely.

Can the US compete on a global market in regards to performance and reliability? I think the answer is yes, that is why I am giving them another chance by buying a new ZR1 this fall when they become available. Look at what Chevrolet has done over the past 10 years with the Corvette C5R and C6R's in ALMS and at Le Manns. They have beat all the big players at their own game. The knocked Dodge and Viper out of the series in the late 90's, the beat up on Ferarri, Jaguar, Aston Martin....the list goes on. I even heard that Porsche had plans to field a GTS entry earlier this decade but decided to scrap the program because they did not want to get beat by Chevrolet.

Last edited by jrcart; 02-01-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:15 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
That CTS-V has value written all over it. 60K base and very similar motor to the ZR1 + the GM powertrain warranty! I can see alot of folks getting a call from their local MB salesman saying "the C63's are in" and the response being "thank you, I'll call you in September after the CTS-V's are in for a good comparison.

I laugh at all the "it weights" 4300 pound comments. The E55 ain't exactly light and with the supercharged 5.4 motor and it runs like a bat out of hell. Why make weight an issue with the Caddy?

I have an affection to the AMG line but it's not the only luxury performance car in the world. For motor junkies, the '08 and '09 model years offer a whole bunch of pretty awsome introductions. Even Hyundai has a pretty solid looking product in the Genesis. Who would have ever thought that?

Last edited by hkycoldrct; 02-06-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:12 AM

2005 Brabus C55
thankfully you have lots of cars to drive ...

Originally Posted by jrcart
How many rear ends have you been through? I'm on my 7th one, and on my 3rd transmission. ... I have an Dinan M3 that makes over 450 and have never done anything to it besides oil changes, brakes and lots of tires!
put the Dinan M3 tire size on the CTS-V-Monster & see how long those rear ends & tranny's last tires indeed!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
GM could stuff 1000hp engine in the CTS and I still wouldn't buy it
that car is fugly
Old 02-19-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by BenzBoy12
As far as it not being able to hit 60 in less than 4, why not? I mean, really, are you telling me that 550 hp and 550 lb. ft. with a 6 spd. is not enough to move a 4k lb. vehicle this quick? that makes no sense. Hell, if an E63 can do it in 3.9 (check the 211 forum, its there), why shouldn't a lighter car with about 85 more tq. and ~50 more hp be able to do it in a couple tenths less? Believe it or not, the super lite Z06 is probably going to be slower to 60, because it weighs about as much as a paper clip, and this makes it super hard to hook up, kinda like the AMG 65s, like how an SL65 took .2 longer than a much less powerful 600 due to wheelspin.
My CTS-V is modded to near the specs of the upcoming CTS-V. I'm lucky if I can get enough traction to do 0-60 in the mid-4s. Like I said before, you can get under 4 sec to 60 IF you're running drag radials but it'll be difficult to put all that power down to the ground otherwise. I, for one, hope I'm wrong though!
Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 CL65
My CTS-V is modded to near the specs of the upcoming CTS-V. I'm lucky if I can get enough traction to do 0-60 in the mid-4s. Like I said before, you can get under 4 sec to 60 IF you're running drag radials but it'll be difficult to put all that power down to the ground otherwise. I, for one, hope I'm wrong though!
The new CTS-V will have the second gen Magnetic Ride that can adjust for launch mode, in addition to what Cadillac is calling Performance Traction Management.

It'll be interesting to see how this technology translates into track times!
Old 02-22-2008, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
I really hope this car doesnt drive as well as my E... I really dont want any reason to ever get rid of my car, and luckily for me, it doesnt look like MB is gonna be giving me a reason anytime in the near future.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:00 PM

2005 Brabus C55
Originally Posted by DoctorV8
The new CTS-V will have the second gen Magnetic Ride that can adjust for launch mode, in addition to what Cadillac is calling Performance Traction Management.

It'll be interesting to see how this technology translates into track times!

not to mention un-equal diameter half-shafts to reduce wheel hop.

according to a GM spokeman, the N-Ring times are startling ... of course no specifics
Old 02-22-2008, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
It might be blind arrogance but name me one American designed product which is popular outside the American market, you won't find any, American cars are made for the North American market and are hopelessly outclassed outside of it, they are only attractive to a very small minority of car buyers.

I can name you one American product which is popular outside of North America...Harley-Davidson Motorcycles. A Harley is the ultimate status symbol in most European nations. Fact: Harley-Davidson sells more V-Rod's and Buells in Europe than they do in North America. The Buells are something like 5 to 1 Europe vs. North American sales.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Thats because the poeple here who want a sportsbike either get Ducattis or Hondas. But a Harley Davidson is like an AMG, everyone wants one.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
I can name you one American product which is popular outside of North America...Harley-Davidson Motorcycles. A Harley is the ultimate status symbol in most European nations. Fact: Harley-Davidson sells more V-Rod's and Buells in Europe than they do in North America. The Buells are something like 5 to 1 Europe vs. North American sales.
That proves that image sells over technology, if the image is powerful enough.

There are a handful of US-made cars that have the technological sophistication and performance to sell in Europe. And don't forget that an increasing number of cars sold in the US are borrowed from European product lines.

American car makers have resisted investing in modernization because American buyers were loyal and naive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Article on All-New Cadillac CTS-V With ZR-1's Engine!