Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

030 - Performance Pack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WWMIndy
I will take a screen shot of the ordering guide on NetStar so that you all can confirm that there is no pano roof on the first issue of the c-class...MY 09 is only like 6 months away so things will change then
I wonder if something has changed. My dealer went into Netstar, printed the C63 ordering guide and showed that to me so I could select my options. This was about a week ago. Maybe you can get a caputre of some more recent data. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Its funny that everyone sqwaks about a LSD. I don't have one on my CLK55 and I could care less. I'm just your average joe. I don't track my car. I just like to go fast from stop lights. I don't think I need a LSD. I don't think I would opt for this oiption. Is it just me. How can I miss a LSD if I've never had one. How big of a deal is it if Inever use it? I don't go to the track! I like to go fast on the highway.
+1. However, I'll probably track the car once or twice, and maybe go to the dragstrip once in a while. But other than that, I'll drive the car everyday to work, project meetings, meet friends, parties, etc.
I want a German car that is powerful, fun, fast, and doesn't have the teenage boy racer image.
No LSD? Fine with me. I'll take one in white please.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Guys, I think it is way too early to predict Mercedes' plans for the C63 Performance Package. I truely believe that Mercedes will eventually offer the Performance Package on the C63 later down the road. They're holding back initially but I believe they'll still release it when sales go back down after the initial spike in an effort to raise it bback up again. They did this with the E63. Almost all 2007 E63 models could not be ordered with a Performance Package until the ones built from April to June of 2007 (almost 1 full year after the release of the car in June of 2006)
+1. Don't trust your dealer yet, as they're still somewhat clueless. Give them a few months after the first release and they'll have a better idea. Or better yet, wait till the end of summer and see what MB has to offer for MY 09.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
As Promised....NetStar Configurator for ordering MY 08 C63's...sorry for the skewed image, wouldn't let me upload anything larger than 600 x 800..had to shrink it...Open and zoom in once and should be able to read the text...a little hazzy

Chris
Attached Thumbnails 030 - Performance Pack-c63.bmp  

Last edited by AMGTTV8; 01-14-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by WWMIndy
As Promised....NetStar Configurator for ordering MY 08 C63's...sorry for the skewed image, wouldn't let me upload anything larger than 600 x 800..had to shrink it...Open and zoom in once and should be able to read the text...a little hazzy

Chris

Thanks for clearing this up.

I think what my dealer had showed me must have been for the regular C Class, but the printout does say C63 MY08
Old 01-17-2008, 09:15 AM

A mechanical LSD is better than an electronic one because I believe the electronic one brakes the spinning wheel but this just wears away your brake pads and so costs money in the long run. Also, the electronic one has been described as slightly grabby compared to a mechanical one, ie not as smooth a progression. I can't verify it but hat would make sense if it is an electronic mimicry of a purely mechincal version. Electronic things are more likely to go wrong in my judgement.

Regards

Andy
Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 AM

C32
Originally Posted by Andy7oaks
A mechanical LSD is better than an electronic one because I believe the electronic one brakes the spinning wheel but this just wears away your brake pads and so costs money in the long run. Also, the electronic one has been described as slightly grabby compared to a mechanical one, ie not as smooth a progression. I can't verify it but hat would make sense if it is an electronic mimicry of a purely mechincal version. Electronic things are more likely to go wrong in my judgement.

Regards

Andy
In the past, MB has claimed that our ESP works like an elec differential. Suffice to say most people know how well that has actually worked.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
I do believe that newer car SHOULD have all the OLD technolgies such as keyless go, parking-aid(parktronic), LSD and then some mo new craps.... Especially with the price tag of upper 60k....

But... the 6.2 engine makes up for all the downsides
Old 01-17-2008, 01:00 PM

ML500, F250
Hello everyone. Im new here and also put a deposit on a the new C63 AMG. I got a call the other day from the salesman who said the build date is 4/01/2008 and I should have the car sometime in mid May. Needless to say, I am very dissapointed that the performance package is advertised in other markets and not an option for the US. Personally, I could care less about the speed limiter however, the LSD and two piece rotors were very attractive to me. If this is a marketing plan; why isn't this plan applied to the other markets around the world as well?

Now i'm debating if I should buy this car or not. Wheter or not I'll really use the options for what they are designed for, is not the point. I'm pissed that they decided to not make it available to the US.

I've already sent letters to MB and AMG. Probably would do no good. Im upset to say the least.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes
I think no perf. package will both a) hurt your enjoyment of the car and b) hurt your resale value.

By many accounts, perf. pack should be available for MY 2009. In a few years, who is going to want to buy the used C63 without perf. pack when you can get a used C63 with perf pack for just a little bit more? Bad enough that you will have a used MY 2008 when it will be even easier to get a MY 2009 since more will be made due to the short model year for the 2008 AMG. Plus it's the first year of production, so people will be a little concerned about it anyway.

The only people who should be buying the C63 now are the people who are "gotta have it no matter what" people who can't bear to wait a few more months.

You'll have the car for years. What's the big rush to get it today?
I'd love to have it today, but not the way MBUSA is structuring it.

Not to be a total bear, but, in case you haven't been reading the papers, the economy is headed into the toilet. While you may personally be recession-proof, many other buyers won't be. So after the initial flurry of activity of sugar dads buying them for their kids, you might have your picking and choosing at the dealer, and perhaps even get a discount.

The new dual-clutch transmission available on the BMW M3 is also taking people from the C63. Demand for the AMG car may fall off quickly.

We'll see.

Originally Posted by nocarrier
Hello everyone. Im new here and also put a deposit on a the new C63 AMG. I got a call the other day from the salesman who said the build date is 4/01/2008 and I should have the car sometime in mid May. Needless to say, I am very dissapointed that the performance package is advertised in other markets and not an option for the US. Personally, I could care less about the speed limiter however, the LSD and two piece rotors were very attractive to me. If this is a marketing plan; why isn't this plan applied to the other markets around the world as well?

Now i'm debating if I should buy this car or not. Wheter or not I'll really use the options for what they are designed for, is not the point. I'm pissed that they decided to not make it available to the US.

I've already sent letters to MB and AMG. Probably would do no good. Im upset to say the least.

Last edited by dimsdale; 01-17-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:24 PM

Acura MDX
Originally Posted by dimsdale
I think no perf. package will both a) hurt your enjoyment of the car and b) hurt your resale value...

...Bad enough that you will have a used MY 2008 when it will be even easier to get a MY 2009 since more will be made due to the short model year for the 2008 AMG.
Until 2050 when RM is auctioning that MY2008 C63 off as "short run...only 5 known remaining"...A little beyond my horizon though

Not to be a total bear, but, in case you haven't been reading the papers, the economy is headed into the toilet...

The new dual-clutch transmission available on the BMW M3 is also taking people from the C63. Demand for the AMG car may fall off quickly.

We'll see.
My thoughts exactly and why I'm glad I was blessed with patience. Even a year ago analysts were saying sales of these types of cars will feel a hurt given that a large portion of buyers use home equity to afford them. Dipping consumer confidence, rising unemployment, rising costs of gas and this entry level performance luxury category is a lot more difficult for people to swallow. Though, I don't think that will translate to discounts. If anything it'll mean dealers will be trying to get the most off every order.

Regarding the M3 - There's definitely a great deal of demand and MBW has some high expectations for its volume sales. What will be interesting to see is if BMW dealers inadvertantly increase the demand for C63's by trying to charge too high of a premium on M3's.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by C63OrNotToC63
What will be interesting to see is if BMW dealers inadvertantly increase the demand for C63's by trying to charge too high of a premium on M3's.
By that premium do you mean over sticker? I can't imagine that will last too long. As folks here are eager to point out, BMW is planning to make plenty of them. The new dual clutch transmission is coming out mid model year for the 2008 M3. I imagine that by 2009 it will be sticker price.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 AM

ML500, F250
You guys are right. It will definitely will be worth having patience and waiting to see what the market regarding what happens with these cars. I actually called a BMW dealer and asked if I could put a deposit on an M3 and the salesman (believe it or not) said "sorry we are only accepting deposits from American Express Black card members; and we will be marking the car up well above the sticker price." I don't know but I would think that a "Black Card member" would be looking at something a bit more exciting than an M3 considering their average monthly bill is probably at least half the cost of an M3. Furthermore, like it was said before, the economy is slow right now and honestly, I feel they should be kissing the peoples A$$e$ who are willing to put out money up front. I must say, it is quite a disappointment the kind of stupidity that goes on in the US market.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 AM

BMW dealers pulled this 10-20k over sticker crap with the last M3. I went to a BMW dealer driving my CLK430... I really wanted an M3... Dealer told me I couldn't drive the car until AFTER the sales contract was signed. I bought another Mercedes instead and couldn't have been happier.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes
M3 and the salesman (believe it or not) said "sorry we are only accepting deposits from American Express Black card members; and we will be marking the car up well above the sticker price."
What city was this in?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:56 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had that same BS done to me when I had a c43. Pulled up and said I wanted to check it out. Granted I was what 23 at the time but so what? I could have bought 100 of them. This seems to be a wierd BMW phenomenon. I have gone to many MB dealers and they let me drive anything I want HARD! PS, I also had this happen at 1 audi dealer back when I was 19.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by spr
I had that same BS done to me when I had a c43. Pulled up and said I wanted to check it out. Granted I was what 23 at the time but so what? I could have bought 100 of them. This seems to be a wierd BMW phenomenon. I have gone to many MB dealers and they let me drive anything I want HARD! PS, I also had this happen at 1 audi dealer back when I was 19.
The issue is that BMW people don't want a car that has been test driven by a bunch of random people wanking on the engine. So the dealers know that using the car as a demo only turns a lot of people off from actually buying it.

Many people would by an M3 without a test drive anyway.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:17 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's just stupid. I would NEVER buy a car I haven't driven. I of course wouldn't want a demo ripped on car but those cars usually stay around for that express purpose and are then dumped later-
Old 01-18-2008, 06:27 PM

ML500, F250
What city was this in?
It was Vista Motors in Coconut Creek, FL
Old 01-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes
It was Vista Motors in Coconut Creek, FL
People paying that much over list ist just bizzarre.

Somebody, please explain this to me. If you have $15k to pay OVER LIST for a new M3, you've got cash to spend. Why not get a Porsche? Really.
There will me M3s all over the place in a few months. Porsches are always less common. If you will pay $80k for a mass production M3, why not get something more exotic? Get an E63.

I guess you get bragging rights for about 3 months or so. $5k / month for bragging rights? Dunno about that.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:47 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
I'll pass. Way too much power not to offer PP.

The lack of the other options is also concerning in a 70k vehicle.
I agree. I'm out too.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Can someone tell me me exactly why you need an LSD if you are not going to track your car on a regular basis?

All you need to do is take a look at the E55 forum and you will see that AMG's have no problems launching in a drag race without a mechanical LSD.

Many owners are cutting 1.7X and 1.8X 60' foot times with stock open differentials and street tires. I don't believe that a LSD is going to improve those times much if at all.

The 5.5 Kompressor motor makes way more torque than the 6.3.

These cars are not engineered like old muscle cars. Have you seen any one wheel wonder AMG's? If you turn ESP off and power brake your car, both tires will spin all day long.

If you put your car in dyno mode, both tires will spin all day long.

The performance packages have always been ofter offered a while after the new model was released. It should be no suprise that it will not be offered at launch.

If you can't live without it, whait a while. 99.9% of owners don't need the PP anyway.

Just my .02
Old 01-20-2008, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
Originally Posted by Schiznick
Can someone tell me me exactly why you need an LSD if you are not going to track your car on a regular basis?

All you need to do is take a look at the E55 forum and you will see that AMG's have no problems launching in a drag race without a mechanical LSD.

Many owners are cutting 1.7X and 1.8X 60' foot times with stock open differentials and street tires. I don't believe that a LSD is going to improve those times much if at all.

These cars are not engineered like old muscle cars. Have you seen any one wheel wonder AMG's? If you turn ESP off and power brake your car, both tires will spin all day long.

The performance packages have always been ofter offered a while after the new model was released. It should be no suprise that it will not be offered at launch.

If you can't live without it, whait a while. 99.9% of owners don't need the PP anyway.

Just my .02
^^^ my thoughts exactly. people are getting too caught up in the PP. i figure if the E55 can handle 516 lb/ft torque off the line pretty easily than why can't the C63's 441 lb/ft torque?
Old 01-20-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
I'll pass. Way too much power not to offer PP.

The lack of the other options is also concerning in a 70k vehicle.
+1.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:42 PM

C32
Originally Posted by Schiznick

Just my .02
Perhaps you don't like to turn that nearby corner fast, but that's where a mechanical LSD makes a world of difference.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 030 - Performance Pack