030 - Performance Pack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by ultraseven
Perhaps you don't like to turn that nearby corner fast, but that's where a mechanical LSD makes a world of difference.
The real advantages of a mechanical LSD don't show up in any kind of normal street driving compared to the electronic slip intervention that our AMG cars have.

AMG cars do not exhibit the typical outside wheel spinning issue that a full open differential gives you.

The advantages of a mechanical LSD over what you get from AMG in spirited driving is questionable.

My post before said that if you don't track your car, it may not really be worth it. I could also go as far as saying most people that track their cars for fun will really not see much of an advantage either because they don't push their cars to that level of performance. AMG's are fun on the track but they are not race cars.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Originally Posted by Schiznick
The real advantages of a mechanical LSD don't show up in any kind of normal street driving compared to the electronic slip intervention that our AMG cars have.

AMG cars do not exhibit the typical outside wheel spinning issue that a full open differential gives you.

The advantages of a mechanical LSD over what you get from AMG in spirited driving is questionable.

My post before said that if you don't track your car, it may not really be worth it. I could also go as far as saying most people that track their cars for fun will really not see much of an advantage either because they don't push their cars to that level of performance. AMG's are fun on the track but they are not race cars.
I don't track my car, but I have in many cases run into the issue of outside wheel spin while trying to modulate my throttle out of corners. To me, it's annoying enough to warrant a LSD if I have the option to get one as an option from the factory.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I don't track my car, but I have in many cases run into the issue of outside wheel spin while trying to modulate my throttle out of corners. To me, it's annoying enough to warrant a LSD if I have the option to get one as an option from the factory.
It happens almost every time pulling out of my neighborhood onto a busy road where I need some speed.

MB 06 SLK 350 owner.

I definitely want the LSD.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Many things have changed since the C32. To the post below with the SLK 350, get an AMG then we can chat some more about this.

I never said that they should not offer a LSD. My comments were that it is blown way out of proportion that it is "REQUIRED" or that it not being offered is a reason not to buy the car.

If you look at my original post, I said "If you can't live without it, wait a while."

I fully support AMG offering it as a part of the performance package and it is an option that I would get if I was buying a C63 (since I send a bunch of time at the track and on autocross courses.)

The good news is that the Performance Package will be offered. It is only a matter of time, for those that actually need it or just want it.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:24 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's my take on it...

What does the performance pack consist of? Different springs, shocks, rims, LSD right?

Well... I would change all of those things anyhow save the LSD and you can readily for BETTER parts, so actually it's not that big of a deal depending on how much the difference runs for the marginal benefit, e.g. how much the PP cost v. the cost of the parts v. the marginal improvement.

Personally I would try and fit the same size rims and R compound tires as the black if possible do coilovers add LSD and ECU and you have a c63 black Beater no???

It's REALLY bull**** about the lack of keyless go. This REALLY pissed me off on my c55. I actually looked into adding it and was told that our US cars have a different harness which doesn't support it. Did the 07 EUR and MEX cars have that option? I know they had the paddles and auto climate-

PS hopefully they sorted the *******g climate control mine doesn't work worth a rats *ss. It is the biggest problem I have with the car!
Old 01-26-2008, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by spr
Here's my take on it...

What does the performance pack consist of? Different springs, shocks, rims, LSD right?

Well... I would change all of those things anyhow save the LSD and you can readily for BETTER parts, so actually it's not that big of a deal depending on how much the difference runs for the marginal benefit, e.g. how much the PP cost v. the cost of the parts v. the marginal improvement.

Personally I would try and fit the same size rims and R compound tires as the black if possible do coilovers add LSD and ECU and you have a c63 black Beater no???

It's REALLY bull**** about the lack of keyless go. This REALLY pissed me off on my c55. I actually looked into adding it and was told that our US cars have a different harness which doesn't support it. Did the 07 EUR and MEX cars have that option? I know they had the paddles and auto climate-

PS hopefully they sorted the *******g climate control mine doesn't work worth a rats *ss. It is the biggest problem I have with the car!
You are going to have to tweak more than that to turn it into a Black Series beater and then you can also kiss your warranty good bye.

The best thing about both the Performance Package and the Black Series is that it has a full warranty. Even if you run the car on the track you are covered. How much is that worth?
Old 01-26-2008, 04:39 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

good point It was just a comparison. I wasn't talking about beating it just matching the same performance in a simular car for much less dough that's all-