Is the C63 losing it's luster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Originally Posted by sack5000
Well, one can make any car sound good or bad on paper. It's like a resume. We always say "looks good on paper". The interview or "test drive" is the determining factor. I like many look forward to the C63 release but posts like this do put some things into perspective. It's hard to believe there is no keyless go because most cars have it now even a Nissan Altima. It's like any option you can do without it, but having it is nice.
I hear what you're saying. The perfect car does NOT exist. All I'm saying is I'm just not pumped like I used to be about this car. It truly has lost some of that luster which I fell in love with when the press release came out.

Nevertheless, I will test drive it and make a final assesment then.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
SolidGranite, the car hasn't even been released yet and you are bashing the car already. Like your C55 is any better?

The C63 is very reliable and one of the most technologically advanced engines made with the durability of a tank.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:03 AM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
It hasn't lost its luster for me. Maybe if I continue to read some of these posts it might make me second guess the C63, but opinions change so quickly on here that I try not to get caught in the vortex. I agree, when the official pics and reviews came out last summer it seemed like everyone loved it, but after the Top Gear vid came out a few weeks ago the mood seemed to change.

I for one have not been discouraged, and actually put in my order Tuesday. Keyless go would be nice, but certainly not a deal breaker for me, same with parktronic. As far as I know Pano is not available, as it did not show up on the dealer's option list. Even if it was I would not have opted for it as I'm not interested in adding (don't quote me) an additional 200 lbs. It does look cool though, but since I plan to mod for speed weight is a concern of mine.

I would have preferred a fixed nav screen, but the pop up isn't that bad imo.

And these are the qualities that originally excited me and still excite me about the C63 (some of them petty):

- Awesome seats
- Flat bottom steering wheel
- Shift paddles
- Shift light
- 7 speed tranny with blip on downshift
- 6.2l engine
- Huge brakes
- Hair raising sound
- Quad exhausts
- And exterior styling that I immediatley loved
Old 01-12-2008, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
Will the C63 have a vastly improved/different interior than regular C-class? B/c C350 I testdrove had a really disappointing/CHEAP looking interior. and every review article seem to trash the C-class interior b/c it looks so cheap. i've also read about alarmingly inadequate panel gaps, but i couldnt confirm this myself during a short drive.

I hope the C63 has a completely different interior, b/c I wouldn't want my $70k car to have a Chrysler interior...
Old 01-12-2008, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
No Performance Pack.
No Keyless Go.
No Parktronic.
No Panoramic Roof.
Goofy pop-up NAV.
Boring and cheap interior.
Etc, Etc...

$70,000.00 to get into one. Ouch, that hurts.

About 3 months ago this car couldn't get any hotter, but now it seems like the buzz has changed.

I for one have lost all interest. I was more excited than anyone about it but the more I read about the shortcomings I became more and more disinterested.

Thoughts?
I hate keyless go. My wife has it in her IS 350.

The NAV is no big deal.

The performance will become available although the price may be a total joke.

I really like the interior.

I could use parktronic in my SLK 350 but with the seating position of the C63 it isn't a deal breaker.

I'm still interested in one. It is either the C63, M3 or I get the SLK55.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by ProV1
Will the C63 have a vastly improved/different interior than regular C-class? B/c C350 I testdrove had a really disappointing/CHEAP looking interior. and every review article seem to trash the C-class interior b/c it looks so cheap. i've also read about alarmingly inadequate panel gaps, but i couldnt confirm this myself during a short drive.

I hope the C63 has a completely different interior, b/c I wouldn't want my $70k car to have a Chrysler interior...
Adequate panel gaps are overrated.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura MDX
It's certainly loosing some of its luster with me. $70 is just too much for a car with these missing options and that interior. Maybe Lexus & BMW will pressure MB to set the MSRP in the $50's but I'm not banking on it. I'll definitely wait until i can test drive all my options, but I think my top 2 choices are now between the SLK55 and the S5.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:25 AM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
I would love to see and have those gadgets on such an amazing car as well.. but hey if it's not offered.. why go the negative way and think bad stuff? Let's just assume that those stuff aren't there to save weight and keep the car lighter and more maneuverable!
Old 01-12-2008, 02:42 AM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
It's losing its luster for me as well mainly due to the following reasons:
-cheap looking interior
-no keyless ignition
-ugly pop up nav screen
-ugly rear

But I might reconsider getting one after a test drive.....but definitely not the first year model. Knowing MB and its quality issues, I don't want my car to be in the shop more than on the road with me behind the wheels.

Last edited by diamondblak05; 01-12-2008 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
It's losing its luster for me as well mainly due to the following reasons:
-cheap looking interior
-no keyless ignition
-ugly pop up nav screen
-ugly rear

But I might reconsider getting one after a test drive.....but definitely not the first year model. Knowing MB and its quality issues, I don't want my car to be in the shop more than on the road with me behind the wheels.
There are no problems on the new C, S, CL. Plus the 63 series engine is quite old now and all the kinks have been worked out.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by dimsdale
Did you get the pop-up NAV option. I've seen it in the showroom. How is that working out in reality?

We love it. I don't drive the car all the time but when I do, I really like this car.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
No Performance Pack.
No Keyless Go.
No Parktronic.
No Panoramic Roof.
Goofy pop-up NAV.
Boring and cheap interior.
Etc, Etc...

$70,000.00 to get into one. Ouch, that hurts.

About 3 months ago this car couldn't get any hotter, but now it seems like the buzz has changed.

I for one have lost all interest. I was more excited than anyone about it but the more I read about the shortcomings I became more and more disinterested.

Thoughts?
To me, the absence of a performance pack is the only tragedy. The rest of it is nonsense that doesn't need to be on an all-out performance car. Parktronic??? Please. Get a Lexus.

I feel sorry for MB. They're stuck with a polarized customer base (unlike BMW which has a clear mission and consistent customer base). A C63 buyer could be anything from an M3 refugee, to a blue haired lady, to a former Accord Coupe driving, cell phone salesman. MB has to man up. Build it for ONE constituency and invest the time and marketing dollars to make it stick. Steer the old folks to the C350; or if they will only be happy if they spend top dollar, create a separate NON-AMG line with all the bells and whistles, specifically made for cruising to the country club.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
To me, the absence of a performance pack is the only tragedy. The rest of it is nonsense that doesn't need to be on an all-out performance car. Parktronic??? Please. Get a Lexus.

But C63 is NOT an all-out performance car!! it's a heavy 4 door luxury/sport sedan with a bigass motor. Lack of those options might be OK in Europe, but as we have seen on this forum, ppl in this country buy this car to cruise around town, stoplight race ricer hondas & camaros while sipping on their starbucks latte. C63 needs to offer those options to make the c63 competitive in the US market.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert

I had the same experience in a C350 I drove. Just couldn't get over the poor interior. I seriously considered the new interior a significant downgrade from my W203.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring

I feel sorry for MB. They're stuck with a polarized customer base (unlike BMW which has a clear mission and consistent customer base). A C63 buyer could be anything from an M3 refugee, to a blue haired lady, to a former Accord Coupe driving, cell phone salesman. MB has to man up. Build it for ONE constituency and invest the time and marketing dollars to make it stick. Steer the old folks to the C350; or if they will only be happy if they spend top dollar, create a separate NON-AMG line with all the bells and whistles, specifically made for cruising to the country club.

Ever since MB took over AMG, AMG is becoming more of a marketing gimmick, way over-produced mass-market "appeal to all customers" bland cars. which might be good for their ultimate bottom-line, but to enthusiasts, this is a disappointment. Do we really need a R-class & ML-class "AMG"????

I give kudos to BMW, they only reserve the "///M" badging to the 3/z/5/6 series, and when they develop a new ///M, it's not just an engine, but the whole "package" - it's not the engine, but the sum of all parts that make a ///M car so special & brilliant. With AMG, they're shoving in the 6.2L in almost every model they sell. With their current business approach, AMG will never catch up to BMW M.

Last edited by ProV1; 01-12-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
How is AMG a marketing gimmick? You're a gimmick

Ever since MB took over AMG, AMG is becoming more of a marketing gimmick, way over-produced mass-market "appeal to all customers" bland cars. which might be good for their ultimate bottom-line, but to enthusiasts, this is a disappointment. Do we really need a R-class & ML-class "AMG"????

I give kudos to BMW, they only reserve the "///M" badging to the 3/z/5/6 series, and when they develop a new ///M, it's not just an engine, but the whole "package" - it's not the engine, but the sum of all parts that make a ///M car so special & brilliant. With AMG, they're shoving in the 6.2L in almost every model they sell. With their current business approach, AMG will never catch up to BMW M.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
Originally Posted by WWMIndy
How is AMG a marketing gimmick? You're a gimmick

and you're a MB wh0re
Old 01-12-2008, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
All I really want to see is everybody stopping their whinning and conclusion making before they've even set foot in the damn thing. Guess what, it's very simple, you don't like it, don't buy it, but definetly stop haggling. It's absolutely ridiculous some of the comments that are made in these forums. You like BMW, drive BMW, no one's going to hate you for it, but stop hating on the other options. And for all those claiming to know how hard the suspension is going to ride, first off you haven't experienced it, and secondly, it's an active damping rate system so the "hard" feel only comes in when the car decides it's necesssary, as in hard cornering. Making assumptions is about as stupid as ordering a bride out of a catalog.

Last edited by AMGTTV8; 01-12-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55

AMG isn't just an engine....its shocks, exhaust, rims...etc...etc...
Old 01-12-2008, 02:02 PM

2007 Corvette Z06/2011 BMW M3
I think this car is overhyped.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC

No offense but obviously you don't know your facts. The new AMG chief Volker Mornhinweg himself said that there won't be products like the ML 63 AMG and the R 63 AMG anymore. He said that AMG has dilluted its line a little too much.

And as for "mass market" I think you are wrong. MB sells under 10,000 AMGs a year in the US--that is a pretty selective number.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Stiggs
AMG isn't just an engine....its shocks, exhaust, rims...etc...etc...
Thank you Stiggs...

And these new generation of AMGs will be much different than their predecessors...they will go to more lengths to make the car not only look more distinctive but have many different components. The C63 AMG is the first example, there is A LOT different than the standard C-Class.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
Originally Posted by pmb600
No offense but obviously you don't know your facts. The new AMG chief Volker Mornhinweg himself said that there won't be products like the ML 63 AMG and the R 63 AMG anymore. He said that AMG has dilluted its line a little too much.

And as for "mass market" I think you are wrong. MB sells under 10,000 AMGs a year in the US--that is a pretty selective number.

well, it's great that AMG is finally turning itself around. but don't you agree that since the takeover, the lineup has been diluted out?? i'm talking about the current AMG cars, NOT the ones in the future.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
well, it's great that AMG is finally turning itself around. but don't you agree that since the takeover, the lineup has been diluted out?? i'm talking about the current AMG cars, NOT the ones in the future.
Yes a bit, but the only cars I see as diluting the lineup would be the M and R AMGs and the R AMG was discontinued very quickly after it was launched in the US. Every other model is fine.

It makes perfect sense that Mercedes is choosing to leverage the AMG sub-brand since they took it over completely, but it is still exclusive.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Of course the hype around the C63 is going to die down some, the car has been tested and compared over and over....so now it is time for it to go on sale. How do you measure luster here? The car will no doubt have a waiting list at most dealers and sell out initially so this is really a personal thing.

That said, the lack of options on U.S. C-Class models compared to Canadian models is ridiculous. I'd love to know MBUSA's reasoning behind this. I bet they correct this for the 2009 model year.

M

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the C63 losing it's luster?