Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Fifth Gear: C63 AMG vs. M3

Good stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCg5iMKAc0Y

edit: Top Gear also has a nice and fun item. For those that missed it:

Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usQi1peqQOs
Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5nzEax87lw

Last edited by sprins; 01-30-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Hmm...First off, when are they going to give up on the lame "drift" tests? What a waste of time and tire rubber. Second, did they run the laps with the ESP in full off mode? Why did the C63 look so ****-poor in the turns with tires smoking the entire way. I believe the car would have lapped much quicker with some electronic intervention.

The M3 would have still won the competition though.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Hmm...First off, when are they going to give up on the lame "drift" tests? What a waste of time and tire rubber. Second, did they run the laps with the ESP in full off mode? Why did the C63 look so ****-poor in the turns with tires smoking the entire way. I believe the car would have lapped much quicker with some electronic intervention.

The M3 would have still won the competition though.
Why not deflate the tires on the M3, or stick bananas in its tailpipe? Bottom line is the suspension in the C63 isn't as poised or refined as the M3's, you can't expect that the first step towards track performance in a benz is going to immediately unseat the king. It's a learning curve, and you don't get there by taking shortcuts.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Velvet Fleetwood
good vid, thanks for sharing.

MB has awesome torque, but BMW has unprecedented handling.

P.S. anyone else think MB driver was a little sloppy in the corners. at least it seemed like it anyway.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:19 AM

Mercedes C230 SS Komp
Thanks for sharing that. Great Video. Comparing a two door chassis vs a 4 door chassis is not fair to begin with. Its not apples to apples!!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jay_mark_paul
Thanks for sharing that. Great Video. Comparing a two door chassis vs a 4 door chassis is not fair to begin with. Its not apples to apples!!

You're kidding right, after 30+ threads in this very forum comparing the two cars, now it's unfair because the BMW came out on top. If the shoe was on the other foot, would you complain? These cars are meant to go head to head, says MB corporate.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:31 AM

Mercedes C230 SS Komp
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head

You're kidding right, after 30+ threads in this very forum comparing the two cars, now it's unfair because the BMW came out on top. If the shoe was on the other foot, would you complain? These cars are meant to go head to head, says MB corporate.
Of course we know that....

We're MB fans, so were gona be biased.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Dunno. The C63 AMG is more fun to drive (as per the experts) and more of a crowd pleaser.

AMGs are traditionally more fun than M cars. As AMG drivers are traditionally more fun that M car drivers.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 AM

C63, SLK55
I agree with some comments here about the 2 cars being different. Personally, I would buy the C63 for comfort, luxury, straight line acceleration and good handling for every day use. I will buy a Porsche 911 and not an M3 coupe if I need a track car.

The C63 looked a little sloppy compared to the M3 while taking those corners. Nevertheless, the C63 did a great job keeping up in the track. I wouldn’t buy a 4 door sedan for track anyways so it's a pointless comparison IMO. They should compare the C63 to the sedan M3 and not the perfectly balanced 2 door M3! Now that would be a test I would be interested in.

Maybe they should compare the M3 coupe to a Porsche designed for track, and if the M3 does a better job then I might consider it for a track car instead of a Porsche. But for now, I would never consider a coupe M3 over a C63..... 2 different cars for two different purposes!!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by STLTH_AMG
I agree with some comments here about the 2 cars being different. Personally, I would buy the C63 for comfort....
I stopped reading right there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a common accusation against the C63 is its extremely harsh suspension. According to Top Gear, the M3 has a more comfortable ride due to the adaptive suspension. Remember they sacrificed ride for performance.

And yes I'm totally playing devil's advocate today but it's been fun to see this turnaround from an all out hatefest on the E92 to the current situation.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
I stopped reading right there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a common accusation against the C63 is its extremely harsh suspension. According to Top Gear, the M3 has a more comfortable ride due to the adaptive suspension. Remember they sacrificed ride for performance.

And yes I'm totally playing devil's advocate today but it's been fun to see this turnaround from an all out hatefest on the E92 to the current situation.
I have been trying to explain this point for months. I think that AMG missed the boat 100% with the C63 because it now rides poorly and drives poorly. Before we got a nice ride and poor chassis dynamics but now we have the worst of both worlds.

So in my book the C63 moves us further backwards than we were last time.

But I did ride in a C63 over the weekend and the sound it makes is beyond intoxicating. I could drive that car around all day long just going 0-60 for the sake of listening to it. That and because it is junk in the corners. It was an amazing car. The seats, transmission, motor, brakes all were excellent. I even think it drove well for a car with a three pointed star.

But I have to say it was the nicest driving MB to date (non black series). There was no question about that. (But no M3).

So it is the nicest driving MB ever but it still is not a BMW. Maybe next time!

But I am a former E55k owner who though it was like driving a GMC Tahoe with a huge rocket strapped to the rear. So I am not your normal MB/AMG owner.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 01-30-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a common accusation against the C63 is its extremely harsh suspension. According to Top Gear, the M3 has a more comfortable ride due to the adaptive suspension.
I missed that comment in the Top Gear item:

Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usQi1peqQOs
Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5nzEax87lw

But I may have been distracted by Stigs girlfriend in the pool

Last edited by sprins; 01-30-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:24 PM

C63, SLK55

Maybe you should read the rest then... my point is, 2 dr coupe vs 4 door sedan is not the comparison I'm personally looking for! It’s only a plus if my 4 door can beat or even keep up in a track with a 2 door coupe that's designed for track use.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
! It’s only a plus if my 4 door can beat or even keep up in a track with a 2 door coupe that's designed for track use.
Designed for track use? That would be the CSL. I really don't think having four doors is going to make it much less nimble. Look at big brother...
Old 01-30-2008, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Maybe you should read the rest then... my point is, 2 dr coupe vs 4 door sedan is not the comparison I'm personally looking for! It’s only a plus if my 4 door can beat or even keep up in a track with a 2 door coupe that's designed for track use.
The M3 is definitely as much of a street car as the C63...if anything, like CH pointed out, it is more comfortable and suitable for the streets.

This 2 door vs 4 door argument is nonsense. Put the 4 door M3 against the C63 and the results will be the same. Put a 2 door CLK63 coupe against a 2 door M3 coupe and you'll see an even wider gap.

I'd still take the C63 just because I dig the looks and I feel that a modded 335i is too close for comfort to an M3.

As always, the M3 is the better all around car. The C63 is the torque monster and straight-line rapist. Both cars have gotten better at what they do best and have even stretched their capabilities out (C63 handles/steers much better than C55. M3 is a V8 and is much more powerful than E46 M3).
Old 01-30-2008, 12:45 PM

C63, SLK55
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Designed for track use? That would be the CSL. I really don't think having four doors is going to make it much less nimble. Look at big brother...
Yeah, it's designed to give you the best of the 2 worlds but mostly a better track car IMO! Its well tuned suspension and perfectly balanced power to weight ratio definitely gives it the edge on a track. I wasn't surprised with the results of this test.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, it's designed to give you the best of the 2 worlds but mostly a better track car IMO! Its well tuned suspension and perfectly balanced power to weight ratio definitely gives it the edge on a track. I wasn't surprised with the results of this test.
An M3 is the furthest thing from a track car. Most owners never track them, the brakes would never hold up for track use, and it still has a radio and AC and all of the other creature comforts, not to mention it's overweight. The suspension isn't TRACK TUNED, it's just adjustable. Just because it's a coupe doesn't mean it's a track car. As previously mentioned, the CSL will be the track version, and it will be a complete monster. Expect the 4-door to have exactly the same performance as well, so there goes that argument.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
they need to start comparing the m3 saden 4DOOR to the c63 its not fair to compare the 4 door to the 2 door. i love this comparesion thou!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:05 PM

02 W203 C32 AMG, 00 W202 AMG, 98 W202 C23K, 98 W202 3.0T, 97 W202 C23T, 93 W201 AMG
Originally Posted by sprins
Dunno. The C63 AMG is more fun to drive (as per the experts) and more of a crowd pleaser.

AMGs are traditionally more fun than M cars. As AMG drivers are traditionally more fun that M car drivers.

+1
Old 01-30-2008, 01:15 PM

02 W203 C32 AMG, 00 W202 AMG, 98 W202 C23K, 98 W202 3.0T, 97 W202 C23T, 93 W201 AMG
An M3 is the furthest thing from a track car. Most owners never track them, the brakes would never hold up for track use, and it still has a radio and AC and all of the other creature comforts, not to mention it's overweight. The suspension isn't TRACK TUNED, it's just adjustable. Just because it's a coupe doesn't mean it's a track car. As previously mentioned, the CSL will be the track version, and it will be a complete monster. Expect the 4-door to have exactly the same performance as well, so there goes that argument.

i tell you what.... take a "track tuned" M3 and put it up against a "track tuned" c63 aka DTM version, and see how the merc opens up a can of whip-*** on the beemer.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
These posts about it's not fair because the M3 is a 2-door are driving me insane! I can't read another one...

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time BMW had a 4-door M3 (E-36), the track and acceleration numbers were identical to the coupe.

Give it up already!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dokotela
i tell you what.... take a "track tuned" M3 and put it up against a "track tuned" c63 aka DTM version, and see how the merc opens up a can of whip-*** on the beemer.
Sorry champ but I lost my ticket to fantasy land today. Such a car doesn't exist, comparing a tube framed race car to something that rolls off an assembly line is ridiculous. You're struggling, stop it. There are no plans for a C63 Black Series that I know of, but the M3 CSL is real and coming to a dealership near you.

AND STOP WITH THE 2 vs. 4 door argument!! The cars will weigh the same and perform the same! Sorry to disappoint, better luck next time, keep licking your wounds.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:07 PM

C63, SLK55
I probably should’ve used the term twisties instead of track. If I wanted a fun car for the twisties then I will definitely get a coupe and not a 4 door sedan. I'm not speaking for everyone here... but when I'm out shopping for a 4 door sedan, I compare it to other 4 door sedans in the market and vice versa for a coupe. 2 different cars catering for 2 different needs and demands IMO. I will consider an M3 once they compare it to the sedan version, especially since I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the current ugly w204 interior design..... most likely I will choose the C63 for the better looking exterior and superior straight line power though!! . Can’t remember last time I lined up with an M3 in twisties…. It’s all about who’s king of the freeway in the real world for me, and the C63 is built for people who need a 4 door sedan that will spank a coupe\sedan M3 in a highway battle..lol
Old 01-30-2008, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can’t remember last time I lined up with an M3 in twisties…. It’s all about who’s king of the freeway in the real world for me, and the C63 is built for people who need a 4 door sedan that will spank a coupe\sedan M3 in a highway battle..lol

Agree 1,000%

I've never been in a "twisty" contest with anyone, and I'd probably freak out and crash if I did.

Real world is very different from TV comparos. I like cars that bomb down highways, that's why I bought my M5!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
It’s all about who’s king of the freeway in the real world for me
It's all about what fits you best for whatever reason (looks, power, twisties performance, # doors, fun, feeling, etc). Who cares what anybody thinks of your choice. So there.

Anyway, back to the track/twisties performance: BMW M is traditionally the better car in the hands of a professional driver. Mercedes AMG is traditionally the better car in the hands of a recreational/amateur driver. On the same track.

I consider myself a recreational driver.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fifth Gear: C63 AMG vs. M3