C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheap interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55 - obsidian black, all options except pano roof - gone but not forgotten
cheap interior

am I the only one to think that the c63's interioir looks real cheap?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Sports Coupe
yes
Old 04-01-2008, 03:26 AM
Banned

No. I was pretty dissappointed in the New C class interior and had hoped that the AMG version would have something like "Full Leather" dash and doors to set its self apart from the regular C but it seems that wont happen. It will have the same "cheapy" feeling from the regular C except the option of upgraded Nappa leather and a suede steering wheel which isn't enough imo. Even the M3 does slightly better and has the "Extended Leather" option for leather on the lower dash and console area. I wish these high end cars at least offered it as an option it was my fav part of my CL55 thats for sure.

Last edited by jonmartin; 04-01-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
there's a lot of plastic for sure, but the seats do look a lot better than regular c class seats...i just can't get over the huge suv mirrors (the plastic piece by the window sure does make it look cheap, should have been bodycolored for sure)

speaking of cheap, while looking closely at an e63 i noticed the lip on the trunk had lots of visible excess glue, shouldn't be like that on a $107k msrp sticker on the window imo (car was loaaaaded)
Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 AM
RJR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 ML350 2017 C63S Cab
Originally Posted by jonmartin
No. I was pretty dissappointed in the New C class interior and had hoped that the AMG version would have something like "Full Leather" dash and doors to set its self apart from the regular C but it seems that wont happen. It will have the same "cheapy" feeling from the regular C except the option of upgraded Nappa leather and a suede steering wheel which isn't enough imo. Even the M3 does slightly better and has the "Extended Leather" option for leather on the lower dash and console area. I wish these high end cars at least offered it as an option it was my fav part of my CL55 thats for sure.
The leather dash would have been nice. We are still talking about a $60,000 car compared to the $90,000 plus for the E63 or other AMG models. We have to remember what we are comparing things to. I loved the new SL63 that I seen at the NYC car show. It was beautiful inside and out but starting at $129,000. It should BE nice
Old 04-01-2008, 09:52 AM

I agree. My opinion is that the C - including the C63 - suffers from a less than impressive interior. It's more of a VW interior IMHO. For those who try to excuse it by saying how much cheaper it is than an E, well that isn't the argument. It's just how much more expensive it is than the competition and still has a mediocre interior. For the C300 or maybe C350 I could tolerate it if the car had some other features that it's currently missing. But no way would I pay the $60k pricetag for a $20k interior. That's just me.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:54 AM

C63, SLK55
Yep! You’re basically all alone.. Don’t see what’s wrong with it at all.. the plastics are so shiny and the dashboard just happens to be a big block! It’s a true beauty! hahaha.

It truly is pathetic the way the C interior changed to worse in comparison with the older design IMHO! I went to the dealership one more time this past weekend after receiving a call from my local dealership to come by to spec and put a deposit down for one. I said, what the hell, I’ll give it one more try.. I’ll sit in the C again and see if the ugly interior grows on me somehow. well, I went to the dealership, sat down at the C and the salesman was commenting and complementing on how great the C63 will be and how it looks like a mini S class, exterior and interior wise! I was like really! Interior is the same idea in the S class I questioned him. He replied with a “to some level” answer. I'm like alright, let's sit on an S class, went and sat on one and all of sudden, I felt like I was actually sitting in a Mercedes-Benz. You could immediately feel the simplicity and luxury class the way a mercedes feels from the S class. Went back and sat in the C class and immediately got out and told him you know what... I'm scraping the idea of getting a C63 altogether. The interior on the C made me feel like I was sitting on a high end European car in comparison to the luxury feeling of a benz I got from sitting in the S.

Basically, no way will I spend 60K on so much plastic on what I would consider a 4 door luxury sedan! Just so much rubbish... benz interior designers really screwed it up for me! aaaagh, was really hoping to get into one. Oh well, I envy the ones who will not care about the interior, they will have a blast with that little monster!!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 AM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by rusbel
am I the only one to think that the c63's interioir looks real cheap?
i'll second that. photos look one way, but the reality is a major downer. i'm basing my judgment on my experience of the new c350 sport that i sat in last weekend. talk about a major image-to-reality disconnect!

yes, it's nicer than the average american or japanese car's interior, but that's not saying much. especially at the MB premium.

then again, looking back through at least the early 70's, wasn't it always thus?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 AM
RJR

2012 ML350 2017 C63S Cab
There again, you are comparing a $95,000 S Class against the $60,000 C Class C63. The interior could use some work but to compare to a S Class is not fair.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:17 AM

2006 CLK350
Ok, well what about comparing the c63 to an e350? the E's interior looks much better............thats what some of the posters should have said. However in reality, you get a better engine, and better performance, which is why the car is 65k. You have a choice, you could take the same amount of money and buy an e550 with the better better interior or you can get a c63, and get better performance. cant have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited by iguess; 04-01-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 AM
RJR

2012 ML350 2017 C63S Cab
Originally Posted by iguess
Ok, well what about comparing the c63 to an e350? the E's interior looks much better............thats what some of the posters should have said. however, "you get a better engine, and better performance", which is why the car is 65k. You have to remember you are still buying an entry level car, so the interior will share the entry level looks.
Someone else that can see what I am trying to say. I think people are trying to compare the C to the E and S and you just cannot do it. I would love to buy the E63 but $30,000 more than the C63 is just to much for me.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Originally Posted by STLTH_AMG
Yep! You’re basically all alone.. Don’t see what’s wrong with it at all.. the plastics are so shiny and the dashboard just happens to be a big block! It’s a true beauty! hahaha.

It truly is pathetic the way the C interior changed to worse in comparison with the older design IMHO! I went to the dealership one more time this past weekend after receiving a call from my local dealership to come by to spec and put a deposit down for one. I said, what the hell, I’ll give it one more try.. I’ll sit in the C again and see if the ugly interior grows on me somehow. well, I went to the dealership, sat down at the C and the salesman was commenting and complementing on how great the C63 will be and how it looks like a mini S class, exterior and interior wise! I was like really! Interior is the same idea in the S class I questioned him. He replied with a “to some level” answer. I'm like alright, let's sit on an S class, went and sat on one and all of sudden, I felt like I was actually sitting in a Mercedes-Benz. You could immediately feel the simplicity and luxury class the way a mercedes feels from the S class. Went back and sat in the C class and immediately got out and told him you know what... I'm scraping the idea of getting a C63 altogether. The interior on the C made me feel like I was sitting on a high end European car in comparison to the luxury feeling of a benz I got from sitting in the S.

Basically, no way will I spend 60K on so much plastic on what I would consider a 4 door luxury sedan! Just so much rubbish... benz interior designers really screwed it up for me! aaaagh, was really hoping to get into one. Oh well, I envy the ones who will not care about the interior, they will have a blast with that little monster!!
I couldn't agree more with this post. While this model isn't all about the interior it truly has ruined the car for me. Maybe they will fix it again just like they did for the W203. That interior took a significant step forward when they freshened it up.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Originally Posted by RJR
Someone else that can see what I am trying to say. I think people are trying to compare the C to the E and S and you just cannot do it. I would love to buy the E63 but $30,000 more than the C63 is just to much for me.
That is fine. I still think the C55 interior is better than the C63. When sitting in the C350 I could not get over the cheapness. Never once felt like that in my 55.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by RJR
I disagree...forget other MB models. Look at the previous C-Class compared to the new one. Shouldn't it be logical that the successor to a model should have improvements both inside and out. That is not the case with the W204 C-Class, it is a major step back. If it didn't have that great optional Multimedia package it would be completely horrible--but this too will wear off in a few years.

The new C-Class has been a disappointment all around. The exterior looks good, but the lack of available options and the appearance of the interior is lacking.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:18 PM

'02 C32; '02 M5; '08 328i (US)
I wouldn't call the interior cheap, but yeah, it does felt like I'm in a Nissan or something Japanese rather than European during my test drive. If only extended leather is an option and better seats at the back.. The rear seats are just standard C-Class which makes riding at the back a torture in a way since the racing like seats at the front can take some much cornering G and the drive tends to forget the people at the back :P
Old 04-01-2008, 03:21 PM

2013 C63 Coupe, 2006 Evo 9 MR
I sat in the C350 when I was at the dealer about to order the C63, and it did feel cheap. Cheaper than an older MB to which I can not recall the model name of right now, which made me re-think about putting a deposit down. Interior feel shouldn't go backwards. Compared to the M3, just off of photos, the M3's interior looks better, but I'll have to wait until I sit in an M3 to really give a judgement call. But I like the MB's dashboard and steering wheel a little better than the M3's imo.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by RJR

No, people are trying to compare the C to other "non-MB" vehicles as well. They're trying to compare the C to anything. Nobody cares that the E is $30k more. Let's face it, the E350 is not $30k more than the C350. But the bigger point is that none of them are a Kia. The price tag is more than enough to warrant a little more attention to the interior.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
I've sat in/driven the M3. The interior quality is outstanding. The leather is top notch. The carbon leather trim is nice, and so is the black headliner.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 M5, 08' C300, 02' WRX
I'd have to disagree... IMHO... The C63 AMG or the new W204 C-Series looks "expensive" when compared to other brands in its class.
In recent week, I have test driven VW Passat VR6 , Audi A4Q and A3Q, BMW 328xi and 335i and Infiniti G35x... The C300 was the most luxurious out of them all, from drive quality (not performance-wise) to interior look and feel...

I also find that calling the W204 interior, looking cheap is very unfair...

However, I do think that the door lock and the side mirrors look a little out of place...

Just my 0.02
Old 04-01-2008, 05:39 PM

That's a pretty bold statement.

The cars in the C63's class are the M3, etc. Even the very spartan BMW interior is to me much more of a "luxury" feel than the W204.

I wouldn't compare the VW Passat to a MB - frankly just doing so makes my point.

The G35x has a very different look to it, but is frankly way more appointed than the C300. Now, I am not crazy about it, but....

The C300/350 interior isn't bad, but just isn't up to a $40k car - which is exactly what it is. But to get to this specific thread - the C63 is a completely different animal with a much higher price tag. It should have a better interior. People have paid less for a house in recent years than the c63 comes in at.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Almost a Member!

I was comparing the C300 with those cars I test-drove above...

At any rate... the new BMW M3, Audi S5 or RS4 interior is as "luxurious" if not less than the C63... Well... to each their own... but I still won't call them cheap...

p.s. Audi RS4 Euro seats are the best seats... IMO
Old 04-01-2008, 11:06 PM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by M5CLK
I wouldn't call the interior cheap, but yeah, it does felt like I'm in a Nissan or something Japanese rather than European during my test drive. If only extended leather is an option and better seats at the back.. The rear seats are just standard C-Class which makes riding at the back a torture in a way since the racing like seats at the front can take some much cornering G and the drive tends to forget the people at the back :P
yep; for 60-70k, at a minimum the dash should be stitched leather (even stitched pleather for that matter - who could tell the diff?) rather than that spray-on rubber crap that MB has grown so fond of (witness the SLK interiors, doors, etc.). I couldn't believe they didn't do a right-on dash treatment to my $92k E55 wagon, frankly. 70k is 70k.

for overall design elegance (sans i-drive), terrific leather-aromatics, and quality of fit and finish, i think the 335 sedan has the edge over the new c-class interior. one gets the sense that the bimmer isn't trying so hard, whereas the c-class is, and it shouldn't have to, being a benz and all. how the mighty have fallen -- apparently in their own estimation!

i like gadget-heavy foolishness with lots of knobs and cheap materials in my GM sedans. german premium $$ sedans should be on a much higher plane.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:14 PM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
in the 60-70k range you can get a new porsche cayman S with extended leather and other decent options.

the C class handily loses that comparo on interior quality.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by vixapphire
yep; for 60-70k, at a minimum the dash should be stitched leather (even stitched pleather for that matter - who could tell the diff?) rather than that spray-on rubber crap that MB has grown so fond of (witness the SLK interiors, doors, etc.). I couldn't believe they didn't do a right-on dash treatment to my $92k E55 wagon, frankly. 70k is 70k.

for overall design elegance (sans i-drive), terrific leather-aromatics, and quality of fit and finish, i think the 335 sedan has the edge over the new c-class interior. one gets the sense that the bimmer isn't trying so hard, whereas the c-class is, and it shouldn't have to, being a benz and all. how the mighty have fallen -- apparently in their own estimation!

i like gadget-heavy foolishness with lots of knobs and cheap materials in my GM sedans. german premium $$ sedans should be on a much higher plane.
LOL... it is particularly interesting for me to see the other side of the coin... I have always picked BMW over Mercedes until recently... I felt that BMW is falling a step behind Mercedes... I'm even thinking of parting out my M5 and trade it in for a CL600 or CL63 AMG...
Old 04-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by vixapphire
in the 60-70k range you can get a new porsche cayman S with extended leather and other decent options.

the C class handily loses that comparo on interior quality.

Except for what's under the hood, which is IMHO... one of the most important aspect of a car...

Still these 2 cars cannot be compared as apples to apples... 2 different breed of cars...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cheap interior