C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 vs RS6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG ML63, M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe, New Audi TT, Audi R8 (coming)
C63 vs RS6

I've driven a few C63s now, and we have one currently on loan from Mercedes press department. I was just posting over on another forum saying how I actually preferred the C63 to the CLK Black, which we ran for a few weeks back in April. We used that in our launch video and it was great at performing for the camera, with easy turn-in oversteer, but the C63's front end seems so much better planted. My colleagues within Drivers Republic disagree, but we have another C63 on the fleet at the moment that we will be comparing against a new RS6 next week.

We will be filming them around Silverstone circuit, as well as comparing them in a number of criteria.

Having owned an ML63 for the past year, I actually found the power/performance quite similar (surprisingly), but then I had a sprintbooster fitted to my ML. Fuel economy seems no better for the C63 either, which was also quite a surprise.

You cannot beat however the sound and character of that 6.2L engine. I miss mine, having sold it a few months ago, and for anyone thinking about buying a C63 I would say that its the engine and the postive steering that are the high-points.

We are also running an E90 M3 in our fleet, and I prefer the C63 to that, so Mercedes have come a long way in producing the C63.

I'm looking forward to finding out how 450 bhp of C63 compares to 570 bhp of RS6, so will let you know what we find.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C43 AMG
Old 06-07-2008, 04:52 PM

C63 Darth Vader
Originally Posted by DoctorD

We will be filming them around Silverstone circuit, as well as comparing them in a number of criteria.

Having owned an ML63 for the past year, I actually found the power/performance quite similar (surprisingly), but then I had a sprintbooster fitted to my ML. Fuel economy seems no better for the C63 either, which was also quite a surprise.

Hi Steve, I am from Northants (UK) and I have test driven the C63 with one on order for delivery around the end of August.

Is there any chance of coming over to Silverstone and watching the action when you do the filming?

Cheers
Mark
Old 06-07-2008, 05:00 PM

C63 Darth Vader
OK small world,

Just checked out your web site, pretty impressive, and it looks like your something to do with EVO magazine, based in Wollaston I believe, where I used to live a few years ago.

Still....I'd love to be there, If you don't ask and all that eh!

Mark.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Hey Steve, where can we find the launch video or any on the C63 that you have filmed for that matter.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 white c63
ii raced a rs6 i belive it was a 02 thow i blew him out the water
Old 06-07-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Very cool, it's SteveD!

Your comments make me feel even better about "defecting" from the M3 Sedan to the C63. Thanks for your insights and keep 'em coming!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Keep us posted please!!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 02:10 PM

09 C63 (Coming Soon)
RS6 is a good looking car (as are almost all the new Audis). It cost way more than a C63, so I would expect that the 570 horse V10 can mash on the C Class. This comparison is in the wrong segment. This is a test for the 507 horse E63 and the BMW M5.

Either way, I can't wait to hear about the RS6 experience. Please post pics if at all possible. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by SuperCover
OK small world,

Just checked out your web site, pretty impressive, and it looks like your something to do with EVO magazine, based in Wollaston I believe, where I used to live a few years ago.

Mark.
My apologies Mark, I didn't spot your post until now (after we had finished the test). Sorry. Four members joined us over at Silverstone this afternoon - what a lovely afternoon to be messing around with cars.

I won't spoil the surprise, but the results were not what we expected. We will be posting a video to accompany the magazine feature, and we recorded lap times using the Vbox.

We ran them side-by-side for a drag race along the Hangar Straight to record acceleration times and then timed them over two flying laps. It was very warm this afternoon, so brakes and tyres would have wilted after any more punishment.

The absolute times will be less meaningful than the conclusion of how they compared.

Before anyone asks why we were comparing a C63, rather than an E63 with the RS6. We were questioning the very high sticker price of the RS6 and seeing if the C63 represented better value for those people who wanted an uber-Estate car, but for a much more modest outlay.

We'll try and post it up before we head off to Le Mans at the end of this week, otherwise it will be up early next week.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
Very cool, it's SteveD!

Your comments make me feel even better about "defecting" from the M3 Sedan to the C63. Thanks for your insights and keep 'em coming!
Hi Hans, don't worry about your decision, the C63 is a very fine car. We are running an E90 M3 Sedan in our office and for road driving I would prefer the C63. It steers better than the M3, has a more positive front-end and is really fun.

The C63 is more of a road car than the M3, so when the pace increases the M3's better damping comes into play and makes it the better track car. But the C63 feels the more appealing package in most other circumstances.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
did you have a chance to compare C63 with performance package and without? how stiff is it?
Old 06-09-2008, 08:03 PM

c63, Caterham 7, 335cic
I think they were testing a C63 wagon in case of any confusion!

Estate = Wagon in UK English
Old 06-09-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Can't wait for the report!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:12 AM

C63 Darth Vader
Originally Posted by DoctorD
My apologies Mark, I didn't spot your post until now (after we had finished the test). Sorry. Four members joined us over at Silverstone this afternoon - what a lovely afternoon to be messing around with cars.

I won't spoil the surprise, but the results were not what we expected. We will be posting a video to accompany the magazine feature, and we recorded lap times using the Vbox.

We ran them side-by-side for a drag race along the Hangar Straight to record acceleration times and then timed them over two flying laps. It was very warm this afternoon, so brakes and tyres would have wilted after any more punishment.

The absolute times will be less meaningful than the conclusion of how they compared.

Before anyone asks why we were comparing a C63, rather than an E63 with the RS6. We were questioning the very high sticker price of the RS6 and seeing if the C63 represented better value for those people who wanted an uber-Estate car, but for a much more modest outlay.

We'll try and post it up before we head off to Le Mans at the end of this week, otherwise it will be up early next week.

Thanks for your reply, glad you had a nice day for it... I'll look forward to your write up...

Mark.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by SuperCover
OK small world,

Mark.

They are something to do with Evo, a few members of Evo jumped ship and went over to this website. As did Chris Harris from Autocar.

Since then the aforementioned site seems to be seeding websites with their NAME just so you will go and have a look. A cheap form of viral marketing or the like of course

Regards

Andy
Old 06-22-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
Can't wait for the report!
http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?...1&_x=1#/page2/

Track report and videos are up next week.