C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Got My Ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008 | 03:39 AM

Finally Got My Ride

Well finally picked up the beast today, it's been a long wait. But I have to admit, it's been well worth it. This Is my 1st Mercedes and even though it's an AMG, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

I've owned Porsches & BMW in the past. My last car was an E46 M3, the one before that was a 00/911. I never even really test drove a Merc previously, I guess I was always pursuing that lighter more nimble track star. Not Quite sure why? Seeing how I never did track them, or do any soloing.

I guess back then, I thought I might. But it never happened.

Anyway back to C63, it really is a different animal than the other two mentioned.

It's big, it's ballsy, it's solid, and it's heavy! Don't get me wrong, It's not a criticism, I mean it's no secret the car is pushing close to 4000lbs. I guess these are the traits that make the Merc endearing. The 7spd auto tranny, that real solid road feel, like the car is really built. And yes
Torque and horspower out the Ying Yang!!! And did I say BALLSY!!!!!! Can't wait to get past the the 1st 1k and really start pushing.

Never having owed a auto tranny, it's hard for me to critic how well it performs until I really get on it in manual mode, to me it seems a tad slow, but like I say, I'm backing off in manual without getting the full effect. It also could just be the change and difference, in not used to.

As far as the fit & finish go, I give it top marks. The luxuriousness of the interior as far as what your paying for, I think is quite good. Not to mention the whole host of electronic gadgetry that is available with the/nav & stereo pkg. This totally blows away my old E46. Maybe I'm not in the loop but I don't think the new M3 can compete with the C63 on this level. I could be wrong? Just my feeling though. Guess it's not fair to compare against the old E46, but that's why I went for the C63.

The the new M just didn't seem like a big enough departure from the old. Not to mention the HP & Torque difference between the two.

I guess that's why I pulled my orginal deposit away from BMW, and threw it onto the Merc. And at this point, I'm not dissapointed one iota. I'm loving this car, and it's only going to grow on my even more as time goes by.

Yes, the fuel effiency is not something to write home about, but hey, if you want big V8 power, don't think about pinching at the pumps, they dont go hand in hand!!!! I'll try to give a more in depth review at a later date, as well as picks.

But I'm just having a little to much fun right now. I put on about 110 miles today just trying to get the feel, & figure out how everything works. It's kinda hard to wipe the grin off my face. Take care guys. And for those of you who already own, ENJOY!!!! And those of you who still await, be patient, you won't be dissapointed. You'll just apreciate it, that much more!!!!!!! Cheers!
Old 06-18-2008 | 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
kimifan, cant wait to get the "real" update from you as I am left guessing what to expect driving the automatic, in sport and manual, i am always reading to get the impression of all C63 owners on this fact, hope you rack up the first 1000miles quickly, enjoy and congrats, break her in well.
Old 06-18-2008 | 12:28 PM

2009 C63 K1
I too, had an E46 M3 and have ordered the C63 beacuse the new M3 did not seem like much of an improvement. I was very dissappointed to see such low torque produced from the new model.
Old 06-18-2008 | 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Thank you very much for the little review. Can't wait to hear more, and see some pics.
Old 06-18-2008 | 07:56 PM

2006 SLK 55 amg, 2002 CLK 430 Cab (hers), 1989 944 Turbo (sold), CLK 500 (sold), 125cc shifter kart
Agree with the comments concerning the new M3; it just doesnt feel that special any longer. Drove the new M3 and C63 back to back and I was far more impressed with the C63. Currently have a 04 CLK 500 and 06 SLK 55 - With such little torque and relatively tall gearing, the new M3 actually felt slower than my CLK 500. The C63 was fantastic. It felt a bit faster than my SLK 55 (both my cars have had software flash upgrades) but I could feel the 600 pound weight difference on breaking. I would opt for the 030 package to get the bigger brakes on the C63. The 6.2 liter engine and refined 7-speed automatic are absolutely fantastic.
Old 06-18-2008 | 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by A' La F1
Agree with the comments concerning the new M3; it just doesnt feel that special any longer. Drove the new M3 and C63 back to back and I was far more impressed with the C63. Currently have a 04 CLK 500 and 06 SLK 55 - With such little torque and relatively tall gearing, the new M3 actually felt slower than my CLK 500. The C63 was fantastic. It felt a bit faster than my SLK 55 (both my cars have had software flash upgrades) but I could feel the 600 pound weight difference on breaking. I would opt for the 030 package to get the bigger brakes on the C63. The 6.2 liter engine and refined 7-speed automatic are absolutely fantastic.
would you elaborate on the 7 spd auto as you claim it is fantastic, in what way, thanks.
Old 06-18-2008 | 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
congratulations on your car.... you will definitely enjoy it.
Old 06-18-2008 | 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
CONGRADS KIMIFAN!

I know how you feel. I have had the car for about 2 weeks now and I still keep smiling.

Be greatful and be safe! ENJOY!

Merc-Skycap
Old 06-18-2008 | 11:44 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll share more, as I learn more. That BIG V8 sure does like to run a litte warmer than the 911 & the M3 though. Just my observation. I guess, Bigger Motor, higher compression = warmer temps?
Old 06-19-2008 | 01:39 AM

What I like!
Congrats!! Glad to hear you got your car, great review!

217 seems to be the operating temp for my oil. Pretty good IMO. My C5 Z06 would peak around 239 oil temps in bumper to bumper traffic, and push 300 at the track! A bigger engine will definitely generate more heat.... have a seat in a nice toasty V10 Viper sometime! whew....

Let's see some pics!
Old 06-20-2008 | 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Exclamation IMPORTANT INFO FOR YOUR C63!

Originally Posted by kimiFan
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll share more, as I learn more. That BIG V8 sure does like to run a litte warmer than the 911 & the M3 though. Just my observation. I guess, Bigger Motor, higher compression = warmer temps?
Yes, Kimi fan it does warm quickly but let me share some valuable info with you that was passed on to me. First start of engine (daily) - wait till engine temp reaches about 80 then while in "P" or "N" run the engine at about 2,000 RPM for about a minute to 2 minutes. This will get rid of all the carbon build up in the car aswell as it will keep your C63 performing well everday.

Enjoy!

Merc-Skycap
Old 06-20-2008 | 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Merc-Skycap
Yes, Kimi fan it does warm quickly but let me share some valuable info with you that was passed on to me. First start of engine (daily) - wait till engine temp reaches about 80 then while in "P" or "N" run the engine at about 2,000 RPM for about a minute to 2 minutes. This will get rid of all the carbon build up in the car aswell as it will keep your C63 performing well everday.

Enjoy!

Merc-Skycap
Really?
Old 06-21-2008 | 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Yes, Kimifan it was advised to me to do so once every morning.
Old 06-25-2008 | 04:24 AM

Here are some more pic's of my ride. Their not the greatest, I used my cell phone to take them. Enjoy!!
Attached Thumbnails Finally Got My Ride-c63-.jpg   Finally Got My Ride-c63-back-tail.jpg   Finally Got My Ride-c63-frnt.jpg   Finally Got My Ride-c63-low-frnt.jpg   Finally Got My Ride-c63-low-side.jpg  

Finally Got My Ride-c63-side-angl.jpg  
Old 06-25-2008 | 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you still a "Kimifan" even though he races for Ferrari, or are you a Lewis fan or heiki fan?
Old 06-25-2008 | 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1st amg
Are you still a "Kimifan" even though he races for Ferrari, or are you a Lewis fan or heiki fan?
Still a Kimi fan, regardless. Ferrari was always like the Habs to me, you just loved to hate them, because they were always so good. But I still support my guy. I became a real fan of his when I got a chance to see him race in the flesh at the French Gran Prix, at Many Cours. Back Then he was racing for Sauber. It was early in his career, but you could see his talent shine through. Besides, my wifes finnish.
Old 06-25-2008 | 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
OUCH KIMI

those b*stards drilled a plate frame into your front bumper huh

:-(
Old 06-25-2008 | 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Last Emperor
OUCH KIMI

those b*stards drilled a plate frame into your front bumper huh

:-(
Yeah, my bad, I should have given heads up sooner, I forgot. I'll have to get them fixed. I don't think I want to go down the the bumperplug route, they seem a little large and goofy looking. Just my opinion, some cars do suit them though!
Old 06-25-2008 | 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Yeah, my bad, I should have given heads up sooner, I forgot. I'll have to get them fixed. I don't think I want to go down the the bumperplug route, they seem a little large and goofy looking. Just my opinion, some cars do suit them though!
any other fix outside of bumper plugs or a new bumper?
Old 06-25-2008 | 04:13 PM
iku

slk32(gone), 08 c63.
hey kimi, watch out for cops as they will pull you over for not having the front license plate. other than that, ncie ride (ur from vancouver right?)
Old 06-25-2008 | 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Still a Kimi fan, regardless. Ferrari was always like the Habs to me, you just loved to hate them, because they were always so good. But I still support my guy. I became a real fan of his when I got a chance to see him race in the flesh at the French Gran Prix, at Many Cours. Back Then he was racing for Sauber. It was early in his career, but you could see his talent shine through. Besides, my wifes finnish.
My scentiments exactly, huge Ferrari fan, but appreciate and follow all teams in F1, massive fan of the sport, have been to many GP's and its true, there are certain drivers who enter the sport that just stand out, especially when they are not racing for one of the top teams, such as Kimi, like you said, or Alonso when he first entered F1. Your wife being finish, then you must be a Koveleinen fan. Were are you located, Montreal or in the west coast.
Old 06-25-2008 | 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by iku
hey kimi, watch out for cops as they will pull you over for not having the front license plate. other than that, ncie ride (ur from vancouver right?)
I have dual residences A.B. & B.C. The Merc is registered in AB.
They actually pulled me over yesterday & then realized I was AB & waved me on.
Hey, how did you make out with your side markers?
Old 06-25-2008 | 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1st amg
My scentiments exactly, huge Ferrari fan, but appreciate and follow all teams in F1, massive fan of the sport, have been to many GP's and its true, there are certain drivers who enter the sport that just stand out, especially when they are not racing for one of the top teams, such as Kimi, like you said, or Alonso when he first entered F1. Your wife being finish, then you must be a Koveleinen fan. Were are you located, Montreal or in the west coast.
Currently back & forth from BC & AB
Yes Kove is certainly an up & cummer
Old 06-26-2008 | 06:39 AM

Cl55
indeed
Old 06-30-2008 | 02:22 AM

I'm going on an extensive road trip with the car, hopefully when I'm back I'll be able to give a more in depth review of my likes, dislikes and issues. The engine will also be broken in by then.

I have driven all of my other cars on extensive road trips, so it should be interesting to see how the C63 stacks up

Here is a photo of my pouch bracing himself while we drive sorry about the quality, moving cell phone shot.
Attached Thumbnails Finally Got My Ride-x-backseat.jpg   Finally Got My Ride-x-backseat-1.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally Got My Ride