C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Air Filter(s) for the C63 (6.2L V8) is/are Out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
Old 07-02-2008, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Try again

* Monitor the Air Pressure with this simple to install and easy to use pressure gauge.
* For Air Pressure Only
Select the Dwyer Magnehelic® Gauge for high accuracy — guaranteed within 2% of full scale Using Dwyer’s simple, frictionless Magnehelic® movement, itquickly indicates low air or non-corrosive gas pressures — either positive, negative (vacuum) or differential.
Can you read what I am saying?AIR PRESSUREOf course you can use it to measure pressure on both sides of a filter,The question I asked was do you two think that K/N or green or any other of those filters increases pressure on the other side of the filter over the pressure on both sides of the oem filter?
If you do then you are both prime candidates for an install of a brown gas generator
Did you even read the test results?
The k/n filter flowed more air and also flowed more dirt,for the first several minutes of the test.
Then if you read the data it was obvious.---------
It’s interesting to note the shape of these Dust Loading Curves. The AC and Baldwin filters each had near linear responses until reaching maximum restriction. Restriction for these filters increased at a constant rate versus the 9.8 gms/min dust feed rate. The other filters, most notably the oiled reusable types, had an exponential loading response before reaching maximum restriction. These filters had a lower initial restriction, but they became exponentially more restrictive under a constant flow of dirt. Also notice the length of the curves as it shows the relative test time for each filter (time to max restriction).------
In the chart above it’s important to note the different test durations for each filter. The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before exceeding the restriction limit while the AMSOIL and K&N tests each ran for 20 and 24 minutes respectively before reaching max restriction. In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons.

What business was I in, owned a Food manufacturing company and served on the board of and consultant to a bio technology company.Retired at 52 to pursue a life long hobby of building race cars,custom cars,instruct road racing and school poor delusional people with names like kimifan
Going to go to sleep now,so I can get up in the morning and take my youngest son and his friends to catch some dungeness Crab.Yummy
I will be thinking of you three hunched over your desks
Ohlord
Old 07-02-2008, 05:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Are

kimiFan and hkycoldrct married or are they just like thinkers?
Did they both come up with their witty repartee independently or are they the same person working for K/N pretending to be two forum members?Or maybe one of them came up with the original thought and the other for want of being able to think of something intelligent to say just copied and pasted.

This sentence was utterly brilliant it had me wondering why I feel more like I do now than when I got here.
And i quote without giving credit since I can't figure out which of you two came up with that duessy
"is a less restrictive filter than any OE cellulose filter period and it flows more air compared to cellulose filter."

I thought something was fishy about their posts almost as fishy as the claims made by K/N.

Last edited by ohlord; 07-02-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by ohlord
kimiFan and hkycoldrct married or are they just like thinkers?
Did they both come up with their witty repartee independently or are they the same person working for K/N pretending to be two forum members?Or maybe one of them came up with the original thought and the other for want of being able to think of something intelligent to say just copied and pasted.

This sentence was utterly brilliant it had me wondering why I feel more like I do now than when I got here.
And i quote without giving credit since I can't figure out which of you two came up with that duessy
"is a less restrictive filter than any OE cellulose filter period and it flows more air compared to cellulose filter."

I thought something was fishy about their posts almost as fishy as the claims made by K/N.
Go to any JiffyLube that sells K&N filters and play with their little display and come back and then you can comment on which filter is less restrictive out of the box. Even an 'educated' guy like yourself could probably figure it out.

Plain and simple the K&N style filter allows more air to pass because it is a less restrictive media. The OE filter allows less air through but captures more fine dust particles -it's all give and take. Go read my original post and show me where I said the K&N filter (or style of filter) is MORE EFFICIENT. Most people don't really care that 1 micron dust is passing through the filter and the engine because it's so fine it harms nothing - those folks would rather use the K&N style filter.

Glad your 52 and retired -- God Bless the American dream. I don't work for K&N Engineering but I know a little bit about the filtration business. Have fun fishing tomorrow and don't fall out of the boat!

Last edited by hkycoldrct; 07-03-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Gentlemen, save your money. Just remove the Charcoal filters that are in the airboxes and that will free up a bunch of hp. Then stick with the stock filters. The charcoal filters in our 63 cars are whats really sapping power.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG

This is just to good to sit on the side lines. Go boy go, have another tall glass of HATORADE and keep stirring the pot.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Glock Guru

This is just to good to sit on the side lines. Go boy go, have another tall glass of HATORADE and keep stirring the pot.
huh? are you talking to me or ohlord? ohlord does make a point as in the Benz's the K&N's are infamous for killing the MAF's, regardless of how maintained they are.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
huh? are you talking to me or ohlord? ohlord does make a point as in the Benz's the K&N's are infamous for killing the MAF's, regardless of how maintained they are.
Okay, first thing first MANY Benz's DO NOT HAVE A MAF, so that really doesn't matter does it. Second, I have used K/N's for over 20 years and have NEVER seen or heard of a BAD MAF due to K/N's. Check out their website for a neat video on MAF's and OIL. I have posted it about a dozen times and I am sick and tired of re-posting it. Yes I know that they would not show a BAD video, but take it for a grain of salt and watch it. Anyway, don't use them, this way I will be ahead of you on the track

See yeah
Old 07-03-2008, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only

way you will be ahead of me on any track,is because i am gaining ground on you and about to put you one LAP down.
ohlord
jifffy lube?I would sooner cut my throat ,than have any of my cars in a jiffy lube.
Why do you think they have those testers there?Marketing
A little dirt ?Did you read the tests?loaded faster,flowed less after 20 minutes,passed 18 times more dirt.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
way you will be ahead of me on any track,is because i am gaining ground on you and about to put you one LAP down.
ohlord
Boy would I LOVE to take you up on a little bet my friend on this one. Too bad you are on the wrong coast, IMHO. Oh well to each their own.

See yeah
Old 07-03-2008, 09:38 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG

Everyone and everything in general.

BTW, is the 6.2L engine Mass Air, Speed density, hot wire or what?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Okay, first thing first MANY Benz's DO NOT HAVE A MAF, so that really doesn't matter does it. Second, I have used K/N's for over 20 years and have NEVER seen or heard of a BAD MAF due to K/N's. Check out their website for a neat video on MAF's and OIL. I have posted it about a dozen times and I am sick and tired of re-posting it. Yes I know that they would not show a BAD video, but take it for a grain of salt and watch it. Anyway, don't use them, this way I will be ahead of you on the track

See yeah
To each his own, but I highly doubt you will be ahead of me at the track.

Have any pics of the mustang?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:19 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG

MAF's go bad because after washing. Folk's spray way too much oil back onto the filter.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:44 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
ohlord
jifffy lube?I would sooner cut my throat ,than have any of my cars in a jiffy lube.
Why do you think they have those testers there?Marketing
A little dirt ?Did you read the tests?loaded faster,flowed less after 20 minutes,passed 18 times more dirt.
Great marketing actually. Its comparing airflow of one vs the other. Even has a damper (create static pressure loss) so you can damper back the K&N to the point that the ping pong ball falls just like it does from the get go with the cellulose media. More airflow = more power (i.e supercharger) that's why people like the K&N style filter.

Your air filter in everyday street driving will never see 10 grams of dust loading in a day or month. Again, fine micron and sub micron dust are not going to hurt your engine unless pored in by the cup-load and in that case it will hurt your motor with whatever you put into it.

Look at more than one report before making conclusions about what's a good filter or not. I question any report put together by a farmer or tree service owner as the primary tester. There would be a little more merit behind it had it been conducted by an industrial hygienist that understands the principles of airflow.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Great, thanks for the info. Ordered a set for my CLK.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
is this what you're talking about?

I'm not so sure this is a valid test example. The filters on MB's were designed with a very large amount of folds which are each fairly long at 1.5" or so. When unfolded, this creates a very very large surface area for the filter media to work. The smaller display sample won't have the same ratio and may not adequately reflect the K&N vs OEM filter in our cars.

Either way, to each his own. I've read quite a few instances on this forum and others where MAF sensors were clogged after the instalation of K&N filters. No re-oiling was done in some of these instances.

As for myself, since moving to Arizona, I'd never go near an K&N filter for regular street use. There is an amazing amount of dust here and I don't have the fullest faith one of them would get me though a sandstorm.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:04 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by e1000
is this what you're talking about?

I'm not so sure this is a valid test example. The filters on MB's were designed with a very large amount of folds which are each fairly long at 1.5" or so. When unfolded, this creates a very very large surface area for the filter media to work. The smaller display sample won't have the same ratio and may not adequately reflect the K&N vs OEM filter in our cars.

Either way, to each his own. I've read quite a few instances on this forum and others where MAF sensors were clogged after the installation of K&N filters. No re-oiling was done in some of these instances.

As for myself, since moving to Arizona, I'd never go near an K&N filter for regular street use. There is an amazing amount of dust here and I don't have the fullest faith one of them would get me though a sandstorm.
Thats the display and it works because its showing the same cross-sectional velocity across a 6" x 6" area regardless of pleat height & spacing. But your right in that the amount of media in a filter absolutely helps (air to cloth ratio) reduce the work load on that filter.

Again most of the MAF failures I read about are due to over-oiling but your right -- to each his own. What works for me might not work for you. My main point to the Ohlord poster is if your going to jump on a board and bash something, do it with facts. He states that OE flows more air but in his own reference the last chart shows clearly the K&N filter flows more air at a lower pressure drop (resistance or loss expressed in wg.) and further confirmed by the K&N air box test. Again, K&N (or any other washable) are not more efficient and I never took a 'more efficient' stance. They do flow more air and more air usually = more HP. It all boils down to what dust do you feel actaully can harm a motor. 1 micron dust does not concern me (your hair is 100 microns thick and exhaust gases pushed out of your engine are 1-3 microns).

Disclaimer: I do not work for K&N in any way shape or form. In fact, I work for a company that competes against them (through our engine group) so I have no interest in helping them succeed. They engineered a good product that works and works really well in the racing circuit. I bought Green because of the media they use and my feeling that it is a more efficient filter (as in capturing dust) filter than the K&N while at the same time allowing more air over the conventional OE part.

PS thanks for the information on the CF - you interior looks great. Can you PM me a ballpark on the price? I shot an email off the the seller and have not heard back from them.

Last edited by hkycoldrct; 07-06-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:40 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Old 07-06-2008, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
To each his own, but I highly doubt you will be ahead of me at the track.

Have any pics of the mustang?
On VACA:

Will shoot you some pics when I get back. Looked somewhat stock, but had everything replcaed. AKA 5 link rear, moved front, 2300K brakes, 17x 9 rims with slicks, etc, etc.

See yeah

PS: Almost forgot, best things, AFR heads, and 10 PSI Whipple
Old 07-06-2008, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
Disclaimer: I do not work for K&N in any way shape or form. In fact, I work for a company that competes against them (through our engine group) so I have no interest in helping them succeed. They engineered a good product that works and works really well in the racing circuit. I bought Green because of the media they use and my feeling that it is a more efficient filter (as in capturing dust) filter than the K&N while at the same time allowing more air over the conventional OE part.

PS thanks for the information on the CF - you interior looks great. Can you PM me a ballpark on the price? I shot an email off the the seller and have not heard back from them.
+1000

Being an engineer myself, go ahead boys and girls look me up I went to Pitt for EE and graduated from IUP in the end, I seldom beleive ANY single handed info. Anyway, Your spot on my friend, and for thoses NON beleievers, don't use them, I REALLY don't care. I simply know that I will be in fornt of you on ANY track

See yeah

PS: I do not own stock or work for K/N, but I do HIGHLY recomend their products to my friends.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:01 PM

1\ hennessey viper srt10 twinturbo 1000\2\mallet twinturbo solestice 1000hp\3\ c63 amg\4\ jeep srt8
Old 07-19-2008, 10:10 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
What, no more K&N bashing? It was just getting fun.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Un Fn-believable. All Glock did was merely provide info.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:57 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sincity
Un Fn-believable. All Glock did was merely provide info.
THANK YOU!!!