Got my first oil change this morning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Got my first oil change this morning

Just got back from mercedes dealer and got my first oil change, only 1200km on the car, but at 1500km according to my owners manual is the break in period. So went ahead and did it. I didnt know that the AMG required oil is a 0/40W, Mobil One full synthetic. I had brought my own Mobil 1 which was a 5/30W but the tech said they use this 0/40W. Never heard of it before. So this oil and lube filter change worked out with taxes to $193.00, which included 9 litres of oil. But no worries, nothing but the best for my new baby...just like buying baby formula for my 7mnth old.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
Good on ya buddy. When is that last wheel coming??
Old 07-23-2008, 12:41 PM

CLK 500(Gone), C63 FTW!
When I went to my dealer for first inspection, and they said it's only going to be a check-up, and I asked if the first inspection going to be had an oil change, but they say no.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by B.E.R.U.A.N.G
When I went to my dealer for first inspection, and they said it's only going to be a check-up, and I asked if the first inspection going to be had an oil change, but they say no.
It optional. Hence the cost>>>>
Old 07-23-2008, 02:20 PM

CLK 500(Gone), C63 FTW!
I did asked them to change the oil even though it's not necessary...I'll ask them next time again
Old 07-23-2008, 02:44 PM

bike
$193 for an oil change? That sucks. I hope this thing doesn't need an oil change every 3 months. My BMW's I've had only needed oil changes every 12 months or so.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Technically, they only need oil change every 10,000 miles, which is around 9 to 10 months (on average). However, if you drive the car hard and do take it to the track, I recommend an oil change every 5,000 miles to keep the engine fresh and the wear down.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
i advise getting youre regular oil changes else where

save your trips to the dealers for servies and what not
Old 07-23-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Fletcher-Jones in Newport Beach only charged me $107. But they took 2.5 hours (along with the first "complimentary inspection") so I am not sure I will go back there. They didn't put any miles on the car but how hard can an oil change be?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Last Emperor
i advise getting youre regular oil changes else where

save your trips to the dealers for servies and what not
Assuming I'm parsing this correctly, I don't agree. Yearly trips to the dealer for scheduled A and B services (which include oil and filter changes) will do a lot more to keep a Mercedes running reliably than changing the oil more often than recommended. The 10,000 mile / 1 year interval represents conservative engineering so long as you use the recommended 229.5 oil and fleece filter. Letting a shop that might not use these change the oil at 5,000 miles is likely to be counter-productive. If you track the car or never get the car to highway speed an unscheduled oil change may be warranted, but that would not ordinarily be the case. For other owners, it's just a waste of money and extra pollution.

And yes, an A or B service can look like an expensive oil change but a good service department will do the little things that make ownership more satisfying. You're always reading complaints here about squeaking doors, sticky power windows and stuck sunroofs. 90% of the times, this is because the recommended cleaning/lubrication was skipped because the car was serviced at Jiffy Lube.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
Fletcher-Jones in Newport Beach only charged me $107. But they took 2.5 hours (along with the first "complimentary inspection") so I am not sure I will go back there. They didn't put any miles on the car but how hard can an oil change be?
Maybe they really did the inspection?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:57 PM

What I like!
Originally Posted by whoover
Maybe they really did the inspection?
Well I'm glad they took the time to get things right
Old 07-23-2008, 05:32 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Well I'm glad they took the time to get things right

It does not take $190.00 bucks to change oil/filter/lube/ect. Learn about your car and do it yourself or have a qualified private shop do it. having said I would stay far far away from any place like "Jiffy Ream" unless you want some minimum wage a$$ clown working on your 70k car. JM.02$

-Troy
Old 07-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Assuming I'm parsing this correctly, I don't agree. Yearly trips to the dealer for scheduled A and B services (which include oil and filter changes) will do a lot more to keep a Mercedes running reliably than changing the oil more often than recommended. The 10,000 mile / 1 year interval represents conservative engineering so long as you use the recommended 229.5 oil and fleece filter. Letting a shop that might not use these change the oil at 5,000 miles is likely to be counter-productive. If you track the car or never get the car to highway speed an unscheduled oil change may be warranted, but that would not ordinarily be the case. For other owners, it's just a waste of money and extra pollution.

And yes, an A or B service can look like an expensive oil change but a good service department will do the little things that make ownership more satisfying. You're always reading complaints here about squeaking doors, sticky power windows and stuck sunroofs. 90% of the times, this is because the recommended cleaning/lubrication was skipped because the car was serviced at Jiffy Lube.
Have had some European owners state that factory intervals go as far as 25,000 miles over there too.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
That's cheap if that's a full service. Buying the oil and filter from an auto parts store or something comes to around $90-100 for me.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by 1st amg
I didnt know that the AMG required oil is a 0/40W, Mobil One full synthetic. I had brought my own Mobil 1 which was a 5/30W but the tech said they use this 0/40W. Never heard of it before.
The Mobil One 0/40w is the only oil with the 229.5 specification that MB approves for its AMG engines. It can be tough to find.

My local Pep Boys finally had a case in stock, which I promptly snatched up and I changed my own oil.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:01 PM

What I like!
Originally Posted by AsianML
That's cheap if that's a full service. Buying the oil and filter from an auto parts store or something comes to around $90-100 for me.

Yeah, I thought it was crazy cheap as it barely covers the cost of the parts!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guys, i have changed oil on many a car, but this being a little different, i will let them do it, if you calculate $11.00 a litre multiplied nine times, plus their oil filter, i dont think this was unreasonable at all. Add it up, plus, as stated on this thread, try finding this mobil 1 0/40 viscosity, not so easy, so considering the inconvenience of finding this oil, finding the right oil filter that is recomended for the AMG, plus being done at the dealer wont have any issues whatsoever about warranty on someone else touching your car, i am very comfortable with this. Besides, i had the opportunity to get under the car for 10 minutes and examine, i mean, admire this car from down there.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guys, i have changed oil on many a car, but this being a little different, i will let them do it, if you calculate $11.00 a litre multiplied nine times, plus their oil filter, i dont think this was unreasonable at all. Add it up, plus, as stated on this thread, try finding this mobil 1 0/40 viscosity, not so easy, so considering the inconvenience of finding this oil, finding the right oil filter that is recomended for the AMG, plus being done at the dealer wont have any issues whatsoever about warranty on someone else touching your car, i am very comfortable with this. Besides, i had the opportunity to get under the car for 10 minutes and examine, i mean, admire this car from down there.
+1

It also gives you the opportunity to keep in touch with the shop foreman and drop off something for the front line guys . Starbucks in winter and Ice Caps in summer. Keeps everyone happy and on a first name basis. That goes a long long way to having you car really looked after and always having a MB loaner on hand whenever you need it. First line demo's too. Well worth the effort

As well, as part of my purchase deal with my dealer there are 2 cases of 0-40, Mobile 1 in the trunk on delivery. I am down to my last liter from the C55. The 63 better get here soon....

Last edited by NORTH 44 C63; 07-23-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
Took mine in for the 1000 mile service too. I told them to change the oil and they did it. Service cost $125.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NORTH 44 C55
+1

It also gives you the opportunity to keep in touch with the shop foreman and drop off something for the front line guys . Starbucks in winter and Ice Caps in summer. Keeps everyone happy and on a first name basis. That goes a long long way to having you care really looked after and always having a MB loaner on hand whenever you need it. First line demo's too. Well worth the effort

As well, as part of my purchase deal with my dealer there are 2 cases of 0-40, Mobile 1 in the trunk on delivery. I am down to my last liter from the C55. The 63 better get here soon....
Bingo Barry! Personal rapport with the people who turn wrenches on our cars is worth the price for an oil change.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:33 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Bingo Barry! Personal rapport with the people who turn wrenches on our cars is worth the price for an oil change.
Changed my mine. I'll second that Barry. Good way to stay in touch with shop forum. If you have C63 with mods, bring by some donuts every now and then may help too.

-Troy
Old 07-23-2008, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Glock Guru
Changed my mine. I'll second that Barry. Good way to stay in touch with shop forum. If you have C63 with mods, bring by some donuts every now and then may help too.

-Troy
Troy thats more like it, for a second i was thinking your a cheapo.LOL
Old 07-23-2008, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci

well i did say take the car to the dealer for services

but i change oil every 5k

no need to pay 200+ for an oil change
Old 07-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper

first of all, 10,000 miles/1 year intervals is not conservative engineering, it's marketing, it's saving a buck for MB (just like BMW 15k oil changes).
when did they first get introduced? oh yes when they started to offer free oil changes on their dime.
they could care less about the long run, that's bad for them, they need to keep selling new cars.
before the 10,000 miles, look back you'll see MB recommended 3-5k miles oil changes, etc. etc.

as far as sythetic oils, yes they might still offer good protection going 10,000miles in PERFECT conditions, but the weak point is the filter.
Fleece filter is just a gimmick, it's nothing special besides being reinforced with plastic so it doesn't crumble, it's the same paper filter, same area of collection.
have you ever seen a filter after xxx miles? look between the cracks see what it collects, how clogged it is after that many miles?
most shops LOVE for you to bring it in for service A and B, because they love to skip the usual check this and check that (which you can easily do) and do that expensive oil change for you (which you can easily do).

if you feel more piece of mind by taking it in and having them do it, more power to you.

as far as where to buy oil (for people not in Texas) is worth it
http://store.parkplacestores-mb.com/mo1syoil0.html
9.50 shipping per order to your door (6.79/quart)0w40
invest in an oil extractor, add a oil fiter and you'll be kicking yourself for ever paying $100 for "free coffee" at the stealer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got my first oil change this morning