C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Owners without LSD's or Owner's who have installed them aftermarket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
Owners without LSD's or Owner's who have installed them aftermarket

As you may recall, my Portland dealer wouldn't budge on MSRP or take off the worthless speed limiter increase on the recent factory omitted performance package. All they had to do is remove the $1,250 for the speed limiter and I would have went through with the deal. It sort of became a stand-off and I really expected MBUSA or my Portland dealer to make it right. In the end, they wouldn't.

So Glock Guru comes to the rescue. His dealer had a Mars Red 2009 and by chance it had sahara interior with black maple trim. This was what I was looking for, as I had ordered the black interior in March without knowing about the Sahara option. They not only took $1,000 off MSRP, but also will ship the car to me in Arizona from New Orleans on their dime! That's service.

So the only issue I now have is that the car doesn't have a LSD. I assume they are really needed. Can anyone who has a C63 without an LSD comment on traction issues? Also, can anyone who has installed an aftermarket LSD (Quaife) speak to costs to install and if they are satisfied with it?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
After you NEW DEAL, be sure to send your old dealer some nice pics.

-Troy
Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Will do, AND I hope that the one I ordered sits on their lot for a LONG TIME...
Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by OverBudget
Will do, AND I hope that the one I ordered sits on their lot for a LONG TIME...
LOL 10-4!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:27 PM

bike
My C63 doesn't have an LSD and I have not had any issues with that. If you live in a dry climate, and don't plan on tracking the car, you don't need LSD.

Just my .02
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 PM

2009 C63 Capri Blue
Without LSD, the C63 I test drove had trouble with my driveway. I have to approach at an angle to avoid scraping the front and the car often goes up on 3 wheels. My 911 and MINI did it every time.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 PM

2009 C63 AMG
I'm mostly curious about wheel spin under acceleration WITHOUT the LSD...
Old 08-18-2008, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
The only time that I had a problem was making a left turn and gassing the car. There was a little water on the road as someone had sprayed water near the flowers so, the car lost traction but no big deal.

I haven't had any other issues at all.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:36 AM

C63 Darth Vader
I'm mostly curious about wheel spin under acceleration WITHOUT the LSD...
My advice is to live with it a bit to see if you actually need it, if it's not there and you like the way it drives then your on to a winner....
Don't forget that these things do have an electonic version of the LSD.

Nice car and spec by the way sounds like you got a great deal.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 AM

IMHO You do need it! Any performance car with 400+HP should come with it. God only knows why MB decided they didn't need it...it reminds me of the IS-F(doesn't have LSD and the x-drilled brake rotors only have 1 part #). Anyways, I went to MB of Willsonville and they won't budge off MSRP either It's like they think we don't have the internet
Old 08-20-2008, 09:19 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by celsius
IMHO You do need it! Any performance car with 400+HP should come with it. God only knows why MB decided they didn't need it...it reminds me of the IS-F(doesn't have LSD and the x-drilled brake rotors only have 1 part #). Anyways, I went to MB of Willsonville and they won't budge off MSRP either It's like they think we don't have the internet
What color are you looking for? My dealer has a Black / Black one and maybe still have a Steel Grey / Light Grey. PM me if you want more info. I'm sure they would take a little off MSRP.

-Troy
Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 AM

2009 C63 AMG
I agree that in principal, I would think it is needed too, but I just wanted to hear from those that have had the C63 without the LSD.

Celsius: My C63 will be coming to Mercedes Benz of Portland next week and there is no buyer since I took my deposit back. You can either try to negotiate for it, or you can get one under MSRP through another dealer like the one I got through Glock Guru's reference... If you need help, PM me.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Without LSD, the C63 I test drove had trouble with my driveway. I have to approach at an angle to avoid scraping the front and the car often goes up on 3 wheels. My 911 and MINI did it every time.
That's rigidity and suspension - nothing to do with the differential.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
And people. the car HAS an LSD. It just happens to be an electronic LSD, not a mechanical/locking diff. BIG difference there, sure, but only to those that track the car or drove like they stole it more than 70% of the time on curved streets. Since most of us live in a 90 degree street world and do not track, the eLSD is more than fine. At most we'll lose some extra rubber on the opposite wheel.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by gsrjc
The only time that I had a problem was making a left turn and gassing the car. There was a little water on the road as someone had sprayed water near the flowers so, the car lost traction but no big deal.

I haven't had any other issues at all.
Try making a sharp right hander, and gassing it.

Just make SURE no one is around, as this is where a open diff shows its flaws.

See yeah

Oh yeah, even with ESP off, you can count on that little annoying light coming on if you try the above manuver my friends

Last edited by MRAMG1; 08-20-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:04 PM

2009 C63 Capri Blue
Originally Posted by peet
That's rigidity and suspension - nothing to do with the differential.
You're missing the point. Once the car lifted the right rear tire off the ground, the ESP light started flashing and the car wouldn't move smoothly up the driveway - it was jerk forward 12 inches or so, stop, jerk forward 12 inches or so, stop, etc. until both rear wheels were touching the ground again. This is with the throttle applied the entire time.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:17 PM

bike
Originally Posted by celsius

I would bet a lot of money you've never even driven the car and are just making stupid assumptions.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
As you may recall, my Portland dealer wouldn't budge on MSRP or take off the worthless speed limiter increase on the recent factory omitted performance package. All they had to do is remove the $1,250 for the speed limiter and I would have went through with the deal. It sort of became a stand-off and I really expected MBUSA or my Portland dealer to make it right. In the end, they wouldn't.

So Glock Guru comes to the rescue. His dealer had a Mars Red 2009 and by chance it had sahara interior with black maple trim. This was what I was looking for, as I had ordered the black interior in March without knowing about the Sahara option. They not only took $1,000 off MSRP, but also will ship the car to me in Arizona from New Orleans on their dime! That's service.

So the only issue I now have is that the car doesn't have a LSD. I assume they are really needed. Can anyone who has a C63 without an LSD comment on traction issues? Also, can anyone who has installed an aftermarket LSD (Quaife) speak to costs to install and if they are satisfied with it?
I'm glad you went with another dealer. Hopefully that will be a lesson to your old dealer to appreciate customers. Anyways, if you're going to install an LSD aftermarket, then go with Quaife. Their quality is unprecedented. In fact, they're so sure if they're product that they offer a LIFETME warranty on their LSD. I've had their LSD before on my C32 Stage 2 and it made a huge difference on the way my car handled.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I've had their LSD before on my C32 Stage 2 and it made a huge difference on the way my car handled.
Note to nay sayers " Huge difference"

AKA POSITIVE

Sorry for the Hijack MB_Forever

See yeah
Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM

c55amg & c63amg
I dont have It

Unless you plan on racing,you will not miss it.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I've had their LSD before on my C32 Stage 2 and it made a huge difference on the way my car handled.
Can you tell me what kind of difference the LSD made in a straight line, as in accelerating off the line, if any?

Thanks.....
Old 08-21-2008, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
in a straight line. None - unless you're on a multiMu surface.

As to the no traction with one wheel up - didn't think of that! you're right, that would be an issue... However, if that's our driveway, sheesh - spend the money on regrading the entry! That's an underbelly accident waiting to happen.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
Can you tell me what kind of difference the LSD made in a straight line, as in accelerating off the line, if any?

Thanks.....
The difference in a straight line is minor, but there is definitely a difference. Most of the time when you're on the street, the road is not 100% even, which causes one tire to have slightly less (or more) traction than the other when applying full power. With an open differential, the power will go to the least resistant path, and therefore, one tire will spin slightly more than the other. Unfortunately, this is not the worst part: Mercedes is equipped with an electronic LSD simulator, which senses the traction loss, then kills power to the engine until traction is gained again, then it increases engine power again. This cycle is deadly because you lose significant time (from half a second to 2 seconds depending on severity). This of course affects your 0-60 times, 1/4 times, etc....

"The Quaife, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.
In drag-race style, straight-line acceleration runs, this results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both drive wheels, resulting in essentially twice the grip of an ordinary differential (they don't call open diffs "peglegs" for nothing).
"

The real difference however is on the road course, as the advantage is exaturated when you're speeding around corners

Last edited by MB_Forever; 08-21-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:26 PM

08 CL600 Blk/Blk (09 C63 traded back- too small) 04 E55 sold
Great reply and explanation MB_Forever.

I happen to believe that all AMG models should have LSD as standard equipment. Although the VSC aids traction it does so by either applying brake forces or substantially cutting engine power and ultimately slow acceleration.

My C63 has the LSD and I have not been able to invoke the VSC during any hard acceleration runs even when brake torquing slightly.