Sponsored by:

Its Decision Time - RS4 vs. C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
I cant tell you my story, cus I dont have these cars. But I know a banker, he rides street bikes and has nice cars. He bought his RS4 last yr and loved it, and it was a great car at that time and still is. However he recently got rid of it and bought a Porsche GT3. Ya I know its not the comparison you are looking at, but I asked him why he did that. He said the Audi was not as fun a car as he first thought. He was in love with it new but quickly got board with it. The C63 is anything but boring. The sound will get you make you ### your pants ever time.

If your buying cars like this for the money or resale value, you will never be happy cus they cost alot and loose more than the average car almost everytime. I would go for the C63 hands down, and I do like Audi's. Audi is just not my first pick, it would always be an extra car for fun.

Good luck!......buy the 63!!
Old 08-20-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Please keep us posted once you purcahse the C63.... I am really looking forard to another C63 in the DFW area!!
Old 08-20-2008, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Capri Blue
I don't want to talk you into buying either since its your money and your preferences, but I thought I would add a couple more comments since it seems like we're in the same situation.

Originally Posted by jtrichel
- there will be two car seats permanently attached in the back of whatever sedan I choose... i am selling my two Porsche 911s and Toyota Avalon (daily) to buy the uber-sedan replacement...
Same - I have a 20 month old son and a new daughter (5 days old today) who will get permanent seats in the car. I'm trading my 2007 911 and since I'm getting $65k in trade its an almost even swap (plus the $4500 in tax savings).

- like you, I will probably spend 75% of the time driving to work or schools or store, whatever... but there is the weekend, and oh how I love to drive my Porsches early in the morning on a sat/sun... will that still be fun/involving with an automatic Mercedes? seems like the pro with the RS4 is you can shift conservatively and drive calmly during the week, but also rip around without the kids on a weekend... yes you can do that with C63 also, but maybe not as involving (?)
I too like to do the weekend drive to the N. Ga mountains on an early Saturday or Sunday morning - and I will still go whether its with the MINI Cooper group or the local german sports car enthusiasts. Will it be as involving? I hope so, and with no need to worry about how good my downshifts are I can concentrate more on the road. Plus now, the whole family can tag along (the wife likes to go, but not in the back seat of the 911 since my son's seat only fits up front).

- nothing can compete with the rawness, power, and exhaust note of the C63, but I am a bit surprised to hear your comments about engine note and interior of the Audi...both which I thought were quite sweet, as noted on the Top Gear episode you referenced. (By the way, around the track the RS4 was like 0.4 seconds slower from start to finish...on the drag test, the C63 blew its doors off).
It wasn't that the Audi was bad, but compared to both the C63 and my 911 (I have the Porsche sport exhaust with the valve flap fully disengaged: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGxw_dIZh3M ) it just sounded boring. I think the B7 RS4 is just looking dated especially compared to everything new like the S5 and C63.

- last, all of the reviews and stories have me a little worried about the overall safety/planted nature of the car on the road... most say, you really should try to get the LSD, but only comes with PP, which makes the suspension so stiff the car bounces around on the street. lots of the videos, tests, posts, reviews, etc. make this car sound like more than a handful on the road...ok when I am by myself with no traffic, but what about with kids in back when it is raining, ice, whatever. I too live in a sunny state so we dont get too much of that, but when we do...
Don't listen to 75% of what you read on internet forums - they are the ultimate instance of making a mountain out of a mole hill. There is absolutely no need for the LSD on the C63 except for tracking the car - the eDiff/eLSD (whatever you want to call it) is more than capable and along with the ESP you are safe in bad weather barring any poor driving on your part. Remember, Mercedes Benz pioneered the concept of traction control.

I also had a dealer open the trunk and show me the tubular steel used to reinforce the passenger compartment and relayed a story of a customer who had been rear-ended while sitting still by a large cargo truck going 40-50 mph. The rear wheels were pushed under the rear passenger door and the entire trunk was missing, but the entire cabin was intact including the two children in car seats. I can't think of a good (i.e. pricey) german sedan I wouldn't trust to protect my children.

Last edited by gravedgr; 08-20-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 PM

C63, Scuderia, 599, 16M, AEV Hemi Jeep, '57 Porsche Speedster, '55 300SL, SLS on order
Not to be contrary, but I had an RS4 for 5 months - it was in the shop for 5 weeks - The service I got was beyond terrible - I chalk it up to Volkswagen DNA. While the car was great when I had it, they could never sort out the steering issues - 4 degrees off camber when the car was a few weeks old (did not hit any potholes, etc.)! The dealer adjusted it - felt floaty again, they readjusted it - same thing again - said it was the tires - replaced two - same issue popped up and they said it was a lower control arm - or a bushing maybe - said they ordered the part - took forever - still no fix - then, finally, said I need a new lower control arm - but it was not a warranty item!! Spoke with the regional service rep - was very nice but given that this is a "halo" car for Audi, they couldn't care less.

Threw in the towel - will never buy another Audi nor will I suggest anyone else get one -

Your mileage may vary......

I did just order a C63 and wished the C63 were available before I made my RS4 decision (being a multiple MB AMG owner).
Old 08-20-2008, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
It really comes down to you driving both cars and see which one makes you smile the most. There is no way around it.

My previous cars are 2002 M3, 2004 997S and I now drive 2004 S4. The C63 is a beast and would have gone with it if it wasn't for the fact I needed to get my payments way down and I don't want to buy a new car. I drove extensively (track and off track) the RS4 whereas I only test drove the C63. The C63 is just an instant monster (just step on it) and the RS is lacking in that instand gratification part. I agree that the fit and finish is better on the RS but that is just a matter of opinion as you really can't go wrong.
Now, just to make your choices harder, ever considered a used certified pre-owned CLS55, E55, or M5. They are close to the price range (if 10K does not make a huge difference for you) and they make sense financially as someone else took the beating on the depreciation and you end up with about the same warranty.
Good luck and let us know what you went for. Pics are mandatory
Old 08-21-2008, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
You just added the two toddler boys portion... I shuttle around three kids (9, 10 and 12 now). Had an S4 two years ago and the back seat was useless behind me unless I shoved the seat up so the steering wheel was in my belly. The back seat is practically a joke for a car that big.

Check that with the kids with you.

Conversely, we took a 2 hour trip yesterday with all five of us - 3 kids in back and not a single "he hit me"... or "stop poking me"... that says a lot (and no I didn't medicate them first!).
Old 08-21-2008, 03:00 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Originally Posted by peet
You just added the two toddler boys portion... I shuttle around three kids (9, 10 and 12 now). Had an S4 two years ago and the back seat was useless behind me unless I shoved the seat up so the steering wheel was in my belly. The back seat is practically a joke for a car that big.

Check that with the kids with you.

Conversely, we took a 2 hour trip yesterday with all five of us - 3 kids in back and not a single "he hit me"... or "stop poking me"... that says a lot (and no I didn't medicate them first!).
Interesting. In the C/D comparison earlier this year (M3 vs. RS4 vs. C63) they rated the back seat exactly the same in terms of space. Obviously I have not been able to compare car seats in the back of either...they both look small to me.

Reading/thinking a lot about this, I really want the C63, but here are the things that are worrying me --- I really like the sticky feel of Quattro, confidence in speed, cornering, all weather, etc... and I am worried that the C63 will be a bit too unruly with little ones in the back for daily driving. The LSD might help some, but then you get the very harsh sport suspension...443 lbs torque is a lot in a rear wheel drive car without LSD me thinks...on the street.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
If you don't get the PP, then you should be able to get a nicely equipped C63 for about $66k, which is only $3k more than the RS4 you mentioned. So for $3k more you're getting a better looking car, better handling, better performing, more powerful, newer, faster, etc..... The Audi is heavier, out-dated, and under-powered. I would've said it's a close comparison if you were comparing the M3 to the C63, but the RS4 should not be in the same league (at least performance wise) as the other two cars.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:07 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
If you don't get the PP, then you should be able to get a nicely equipped C63 for about $66k, which is only $3k more than the RS4 you mentioned. So for $3k more you're getting a better looking car, better handling, better performing, more powerful, newer, faster, etc..... The Audi is heavier, out-dated, and under-powered. I would've said it's a close comparison if you were comparing the M3 to the C63, but the RS4 should not be in the same league (at least performance wise) as the other two cars.

This is what I dont understand. All the power is no good if it cant confidently be put down onto the road. In a recent Top Gear test, the C63AMG only beat the RS4 around the track by less than half a second... significant, but not a lot given the power and weight differences, and the fact that the RS4 is almost 3 yrs old and outdated compared to the brand new C63 AMG. In real life driving day to day (meaning: not track), which is better -- hp/torque that cant really be used or usable power in an AWD car? I am not buying this sedan to drive on the track every day, I am selling the Porsches and buying this to drive around the city, soccer practices, grocery store, work, etc...life... and hoping to have fun along the way.

The specs you quoted leave you without Navigation, no LSD, no carbon fiber, etc...all things that come with the price tag of the RS4. As I mentioned earlier, the M3 was a joke to me when I drove it...no interest there.

By the way, everything is relative...0-60 in 4.8 and 1/4 in 13 seconds is not exactly underpowered in some circles...

Dont get me wrong with all this, I am definitely having a hard time deciding... just trying to determine if the C63 is too much for the street to really enjoy as a driver... and is it safe for my boys in the back

Last edited by jtrichel; 08-21-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: 6886535
Old 08-21-2008, 05:57 PM

2009 C63 Capri Blue
I am worried that the C63 will be a bit too unruly with little ones in the back for daily driving. The LSD might help some, but then you get the very harsh sport suspension...443 lbs torque is a lot in a rear wheel drive car without LSD me thinks...on the street.
I'm a little confused about your driving style. Do you plan on turning the ESP off and flooring it whenever you make a 90 degree turn? If not, I'm not sure about the concern. This is sort of the three categories of driving I expect to see:

"Sport driving" - ESP off, no passengers, smooth roads, nice weather

"Daily driving" - ESP on/ESP sport, kids onboard, any road, nice weather

"Safe driving" - ESP on, kids onboard, any road, poor weather

Lets assume you were to take a similar stance - assuming you don't drive like a fool, exactly what do you expect to happen in poor weather? Cars built in this day and age generally drive perfectly fine in inclement weather whether you're driving a $15k Civic or a $1.8M Veyron. Unless you're planning on a lot of snow or ice (you aren't, and if you get any you just drive carefully), I just can't figure out what you're worried about unless you plan on turning ESP off and driving in manual with a lead foot every time you put your kids in the car.

There is a difference between buying a safe car, and looking for something that takes away your responsibility as a parent to not be an idiot. I think there is a lot of room for fun between safe and dangerous.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
This is what I dont understand. All the power is no good if it cant confidently be put down onto the road. In a recent Top Gear test, the C63AMG only beat the RS4 around the track by less than half a second... significant, but not a lot given the power and weight differences, and the fact that the RS4 is almost 3 yrs old and outdated compared to the brand new C63 AMG. In real life driving day to day (meaning: not track), which is better -- hp/torque that cant really be used or usable power in an AWD car? I am not buying this sedan to drive on the track every day, I am selling the Porsches and buying this to drive around the city, soccer practices, grocery store, work, etc...life... and hoping to have fun along the way.
It's not that you can't put the power down, it just needs getting used to. I had a 435 hp C32 that was incredibly powerful, yet I learned to control it really good. I know that's still 20 hp less then the C63, but it was also 200 lbs lighter. Anyways, with good tires and an LSD, the C63 should rape the RS4 in straight line, road course, oval, etc....

The specs you quoted leave you without Navigation, no LSD, no carbon fiber, etc...all things that come with the price tag of the RS4.
Actually, the specs I provided are very close to fully loaded. It does include Navigation and LSD, but does not include Carbon Fiber.

Here are the specs based on the latest sticker provided by 2K6E55 in this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/257086-my-09-c63.html

MSRP: $55,100
iPod Integration Kit: $375
Limited Slip Diff: $1,200
Premium II Package: $1,100
AMG Leather Package: $2,980
Multimedia Package: $2,980
--------------------------
Destination & Delivery: $875
Gas Guzzler Tax: $2,100
====================

Total = $66,710

This is a very nicely equipped C63 with MSRP of $66.5k, and I'm sure with a little bit of negotiation, you can get the sales guy to drop another $500 to $1000, which would bring down the MSRP to $65,710. Even if you do decide to get the Carbon Fiber, your price will be close to $67k, which is only $4k away from the RS4, but you'll be getting a car that is 10 times better than the Audi RS4

By the way, everything is relative...0-60 in 4.8 and 1/4 in 13 seconds is not exactly underpowered in some circles...
I didn't really mean to imply that it was slow. I stated that it is much slower than its other two competitors. Nowadays with cars like the Z06, GT-R, M5s, M6, E55/63, etc..... the Audi performance numbers are too outdated.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 08-21-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
but you'll be getting a car that is 10 times better than the Audi RS4
I think the chrome star has blinded your common sense.

10 times better car? hardly. It has a bit more hp and is a bit faster, but the audi is hardly 1/10 of a C63. Thats over reaching...by a lot.

And since when is 420bhp underpowered.

A freaking brand new Corvette makes 10bhp more.

for this type of sedan, and for his purposes, the 420bhp the RS4 provides is more than enough.

A car is not only about power. Its about balance. And that is where the RS4 has it all day over the C63.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:49 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
dudes....

this is all infinitely helpful, i take no offense...please keep it coming

gravdgr, you are maybe right that i am being a bit paranoid about the c63 abilities with ESP on... i certainly dont plan to drive around like an idiot with the kids in the car...

i am thinking about wet days in particular...the one test drive i took in the c63 led me to believe that the power is either ON (with ESP constantly kicking in) or OFF... there didnt seem to be a lot of in between... i worried that in wet conditions, the car's back end could easily get out of control with all the power... -OR- just living with a constant ESP the way that "Jeremy" described on Top Gear
Old 08-21-2008, 11:37 PM

2009 C63 Capri Blue
i am thinking about wet days in particular...the one test drive i took in the c63 led me to believe that the power is either ON (with ESP constantly kicking in) or OFF... there didnt seem to be a lot of in between... i worried that in wet conditions, the car's back end could easily get out of control with all the power... -OR- just living with a constant ESP the way that "Jeremy" described on Top Gear
Easy enough - schedule a test drive one day when its raining. Get on it a few times in the rain. If you're buying local, you shouldn't have any problems - especially if you explain your concerns to your dealer.

(As always, YMMV - my dealer wouldn't blink an eye.)
Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
I think everyone is seriously emotional about their purchase. I bet the same question posted on audi sites will elicit the opposite response.

Listen dude, go drive them both. Pick the one YOU want and ejoy it. Who cares what we think? we do - but that's not you.

Again I have owned the S4, I tested the RS4 and I voted with my $$ on the C63. I have 3 kids and their safety and happiness trumps all with the cars.

I made my choice - you make yours! Simple!

Oh, and FWIW - I live in Chicago metro area where we have inclement weather about 35% of the time unlike TX, and I think the ESP and proper tires and driving are just fine.

Either way you'll get a great car.

P
Old 08-22-2008, 12:47 AM

2013 C63 Black Series
Originally Posted by peet
I think everyone is seriously emotional about their purchase. I bet the same question posted on audi sites will elicit the opposite response.

Listen dude, go drive them both. Pick the one YOU want and ejoy it. Who cares what we think? we do - but that's not you.

Again I have owned the S4, I tested the RS4 and I voted with my $$ on the C63. I have 3 kids and their safety and happiness trumps all with the cars.

I made my choice - you make yours! Simple!

Oh, and FWIW - I live in Chicago metro area where we have inclement weather about 35% of the time unlike TX, and I think the ESP and proper tires and driving are just fine.

Either way you'll get a great car.

P
thanks...will do.

the anwers to your questions are easy ----- I have already driven both...for about 15 minute test drive...pretty hard to know strictly from that... come here to get opinions from some who have maybe driven both, other ideas, things to consider, experience with car seats in C63, etc... its not my only data point, but that is part of what these forums are for, right? thanks again
Old 08-23-2008, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I think the chrome star has blinded your common sense.
A little bit..... as you can see, I'm a Mercedes-Benz fanatic

10 times better car? hardly. It has a bit more hp and is a bit faster, but the audi is hardly 1/10 of a C63. Thats over reaching...by a lot.
LOL.... I didn't mean that literally But common, for almost the same price, the C63 is a better car, right? The C63 is:

- Quicker
- Faster
- Lighter
- More Powerful
- Better Handling
- Better Looking (more up to date)
- Better Sounding
- Roomier (via Top Gear video)
- A 6.2L engine with 7-Speed tranny
- Easily upgradable to +60 hp with just an ECU tune

And since when is 420bhp underpowered.
A freaking brand new Corvette makes 10bhp more.
True that the Corvette has 430 hp, but it's also around 1000 lbs lighter. And that's a BIG difference.

for this type of sedan, and for his purposes, the 420bhp the RS4 provides is more than enough.
For now maybe....... but in a year or so he'll want more power. I've been there
Old 08-24-2008, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
all i got to say is that i have my car for 3 months and need new tires alredy.
c63 is beast by far the best car i owned. the stuff you can do with this car will amaze you.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997 Turbo GT Silver/Cocoa (sold) 2009 C63 White/Black (sold) 2012 GL350 Pall/Black
Don't do it... I looked at the RS4/M3/ISF... and only the C63 made my heart sing... I also have a porsche that i used as a daily driver... the c63 is amazingly fast and still leaves a lump in my throat... and i love the extra "useable" rear seating... I am over 6' and I can actually fit in both the front and rear seats... a complete bonus... The RS4 was a little too cramped for my liking... styling not for me and performance was not as impressive.

My 3 year old daughter has become a porsche aficionado and often says she wants to go "zoom-zoom" in the car (safely of course)... This morning as i was buckling her into the porsche she asked, "Daddy, where is the white car (C63)" I told her that her auntie borrowed it for the weekend. And she started crying like never before... and said "but i reeeeeeeeeeeealy like the white car" sobbing and squealing. I couldn't blame her, I missed the car too. A little too spoiled are we. Even though we were in the porsche, we were both having withdrawls for the Merk.

Its an AWESOME car! (I am not saying it is better... but still worthy).
Old 08-24-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe' '99' Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8 DD
I've had my C63 for about 3 months now & I am VERY happy w/it! It'll be way more fun to drive than the RS4 & in most of our opinions, It's way better looking too.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I just saw both side-by-side yesterday. To me the RS4 has a great stance. The C63 looks sick as hell going down the road though. It's a tough choice, one that warrants careful examination of your needs if it will be a daily driver. I believe Audis retain their value a little better, but that sort of thing shouldn't matter. You'll win either way.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Okay, I'm a car guy............ not a star guy.

I have had an RS4 for over a year. I also have a K3+ E55 and Lexus IS350 for comparison.

Ya know............ It was raining today and I was out doing some crazy shytt in my RS4................ I would never dream of doing that stuff in my Lexus or Mercedes.

Here is my take on these cars:

Straight line speed: C63 much greater than RS4.

Canyon carving: RS4 greater than C63

Exterior appearance: RS4 (And most magazine reviews agree)

Interior: Toss up (I think the new C63 design looks great)

Fit and Finish: I'm impressed by both cars but I think Audi uses slightly better materials.

Resale: They both suck!!!!!

Got to have it: The Merc gets the nod on this one because it is such a raw car. There is just something about the power output of AMG's that make you overlook their shortcomings.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:04 PM

2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
Originally Posted by Jeanreau
Don't do it... I looked at the RS4/M3/ISF... and only the C63 made my heart sing... I also have a porsche that i used as a daily driver... the c63 is amazingly fast and still leaves a lump in my throat... and i love the extra "useable" rear seating... I am over 6' and I can actually fit in both the front and rear seats... a complete bonus... The RS4 was a little too cramped for my liking... styling not for me and performance was not as impressive.

My 3 year old daughter has become a porsche aficionado and often says she wants to go "zoom-zoom" in the car (safely of course)... This morning as i was buckling her into the porsche she asked, "Daddy, where is the white car (C63)" I told her that her auntie borrowed it for the weekend. And she started crying like never before... and said "but i reeeeeeeeeeeealy like the white car" sobbing and squealing. I couldn't blame her, I missed the car too. A little too spoiled are we. Even though we were in the porsche, we were both having withdrawls for the Merk.

Its an AWESOME car! (I am not saying it is better... but still worthy).
Thats funny because my son (which just turned 4) after sitting and see me start the C63 at the dealer he now reconinozes every Merc on the street and keeps asking me when will the car get here?... been waiting since May. Now 6weeks to go and I'm also acksious... Could have it in August but I wanted the CF trim $, which of cause was delayed... but I consider myself lucky because of the Bortched PP package, which I'm also getting....

I've test driven it twice and it is AWESOME! it truely has *****... if this car had a stick shift, everyone would buy it...
Old 08-24-2008, 08:22 PM

09 c63
Originally Posted by dlbello
Thats funny because my son (which just turned 4) after sitting and see me start the C63 at the dealer he now reconinozes every Merc on the street and keeps asking me when will the car get here?... been waiting since May. Now 6weeks to go and I'm also acksious... Could have it in August but I wanted the CF trim $, which of cause was delayed... but I consider myself lucky because of the Bortched PP package, which I'm also getting....

I've test driven it twice and it is AWESOME! it truely has *****... if this car had a stick shift, everyone would buy it...
your car is coming in october and u have the incomplete PP? mine is coming in october as well, i thought it was fixed for october deliveries...
Old 08-24-2008, 09:59 PM

2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
Originally Posted by zeroordie196
your car is coming in october and u have the incomplete PP? mine is coming in october as well, i thought it was fixed for october deliveries...
What I meant was because of the wait (Back order delay) for the CF trim I ordered for my car "I Will Have" the correct PP package... Thats why I consider myself lucky, I would have been very pissed if I had received the Botched PP...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Its Decision Time - RS4 vs. C63 AMG