C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Its Decision Time - RS4 vs. C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 Black Series
Its Decision Time - RS4 vs. C63 AMG

I started my search/evaluation looking at several possibilities - RS4, S6, C63 AMG, M3 sedan, even low mileage 2003 RS6.

I narrowed down to the 08 RS4 or 08 C63 AMG. Both great cars for different reasons, I have really been torn between the two. This site has helped a lot, and pretty much I had decided on the C63 AMG until all the PP stuff started.

I have the opportunity to buy a RS4 brand new in the color of my choice for $63k. It's only about $7k less than what the C63 AMG would cost, so I guess I shouldnt consider cost part of the equation. However, I can't help but feel like I would be getting a GREAT deal on the RS4...almost $11k off MSRP. They are closing out the final 08 models. Granted, maybe the MSRP was inflated to start with, but I see lots of used RS4s on the market priced more than what this new car would cost.

Anyone else out there on the fence between C63 AMG and RS4? I am so torn...

C63 AMG - fast fun, torquey, but somewhat unruly on the road, full sticker pricing, still PP uncertainties, etc.

RS4 - not as fast as C63 AMG, but probably more involving, equal or better interior, great price, pain in the *** for traffic because of manual tranny
Old 08-19-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
Before I answer, I will tell you I would prefer to have a stick than an auto...

With that being said, I just couldn't get away from Mercedes. My impression of performance and luxury for them was greater than BMW, Audi, or Lexus. I also really liked the performance potential of the 6.2L.

I also found out that you CAN get these under MSRP. It just takes a little work...
Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
If you want a stick and won't be in the city much I'd get the RS4. Other wise I'd get the C63.

The looks and styling of the C63 look newer and better IMO.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:53 PM

2009 Fully loaded C63 AMG - black on black and CF trim; 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD;
I can say, there are lots of things and potentials of da C63 you will find out day after day since you driving it
Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 PM

Porsche 911 Carerra 4S
I would say C63 because I have driven a RS4, and that car didn't make me too happy! Is not what I expected before...btw the driving experience of a RS4 is not so good! The most important thing is I have order a C63 already!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 PM

SL
i am sure you ll feel regret to have chosen audi just because of 7k.... just the MB brand name is worth much more than that.... i can't believe anyone will even need to struggle between an MB and audi.... well if u are struggling between a Lexus or volkswagen or Saab and an audi.. then i can understand... but u are talking about a hot MB item like C63...
let's imagine the satisfaction u ll get when driving that around... and compare it with driving an audi... who gives a damn or care it's a A4 or RS4? honestly, i have never paid attention to any audi on the road... even R8...

but one thing good about audi though... the RS4 won't look absolete so quickly coz we should expect the next 3 or 4 generations of RS4 will look 90% alike with the current one.. especially with the ugly stupid front grill....

a side note... i thought the A5/S5 will sell better.. but in fact i believe it's a total failure.... i rarely run into any on the road now.... i think the same will happen when audi launches more different series when all of them look alike... look at Q5 and A7.... they are a joke.... a complete copy of GLK, X3 and CLS.... i hate audi for being so unoriginal..
Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I just drove the C63 and from a guy with 570 wheel hp, I LOVED the C63.

Car was very impressive and to think with a simple ECU flash, the car will perk up nearly 50-60hp. It's a no brainer.

C63 FTW.

Just watched the Top Gear episode where Jeremy compared the SLK to the P car. P car was better in nearly every way, but all Jeremy could talk about was THAT ENGINE and THAT HP of the Benz.

Nothing beats brute power bro. Go C63.

Just my 2 cents. You'll be happy either way you pick. Great choices.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 PM

2017 C63S Coupe, 2015 Range Rover Sport
Originally Posted by phonetics
a side note... i thought the A5/S5 will sell better.. but in fact i believe it's a total failure.... i rarely run into any on the road now....
I almost went with an S5 but the wait time is crazy for one to be built. After a full week with my new C63 I am VERY glad I did not go with the Audi. It's amazing how many people have come up and commented on the car. Every where we go some one stops and asks about it. I doubt that would be the case with an Audi..............other then a R8.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:13 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
i am sure you ll feel regret to have chosen audi just because of 7k.... just the MB brand name is worth much more than that.... i can't believe anyone will even need to struggle between an MB and audi.... well if u are struggling between a Lexus or volkswagen or Saab and an audi.. then i can understand... but u are talking about a hot MB item like C63...
let's imagine the satisfaction u ll get when driving that around... and compare it with driving an audi... who gives a damn or care it's a A4 or RS4? honestly, i have never paid attention to any audi on the road... even R8...

but one thing good about audi though... the RS4 won't look absolete so quickly coz we should expect the next 3 or 4 generations of RS4 will look 90% alike with the current one.. especially with the ugly stupid front grill....

a side note... i thought the A5/S5 will sell better.. but in fact i believe it's a total failure.... i rarely run into any on the road now.... i think the same will happen when audi launches more different series when all of them look alike... look at Q5 and A7.... they are a joke.... a complete copy of GLK, X3 and CLS.... i hate audi for being so unoriginal..
I dont drive my cars because I care about what other people think... so most of your post doesnt really apply to me. I think that I am still leaning toward the C63 AMG, but for none of the reasons you list. I love Audis... I think that there interiors blow all the other German manufacturers away, and I love the understated styling. I also like that Quattro can actually put down power in a variety of situations...something that concerns me a little with the C63 AMG, especially without the LSD. Also remember that this RS4 is a generation behind the C63 AMG and M3... the RS4 is an outgoing model.

Again, not sure I disagree with your conclusion, but for different reasons. I definitely dont agree with all the Audi-bashing, I think that they are fantastically engineered cars.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
That's a good deal on the RS4. I've never driven one or even heard the sound of the exhaust -- how is it?

If you got the RS4 and a C63 pulled up next to you, would you regret your choice?

You could just decide stick vs auto, since that is really the biggest difference between the two, and one that you will deal with every time you drive the car. Or, do you really need the AWD where you live?

I took my C63 out for a drive down the coast tonight, just for the hell of it. When the words "ohmygodthisisthemostincrediblecareverbuiltand I absolutelyloveit" go through my head, ecstatically, over and over, I know I bought the right car! The sound, the speed... the car is stealthy and classy until you hit the gas hard. Then it's bye bye people in a very LOUD way.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:02 AM

2017 C63S Coupe, 2015 Range Rover Sport
Originally Posted by jtrichel
I love Audis... I think that there interiors blow all the other German manufacturers away
I would have to agree with that - I liked the S5 interior and NAV/multimedia interface better then the C63. Still very happy with my choice. It really comes down to personal preference. Which ever you choose will be a great car.

Last edited by kdoyle; 08-20-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:24 AM

SL
I dont drive my cars because I care about what other people think... so most of your post doesnt really apply to me. I think that I am still leaning toward the C63 AMG, but for none of the reasons you list. I love Audis... I think that there interiors blow all the other German manufacturers away, and I love the understated styling. I also like that Quattro can actually put down power in a variety of situations...something that concerns me a little with the C63 AMG, especially without the LSD. Also remember that this RS4 is a generation behind the C63 AMG and M3... the RS4 is an outgoing model.

Again, not sure I disagree with your conclusion, but for different reasons. I definitely dont agree with all the Audi-bashing, I think that they are fantastically engineered cars.

actually i was wrong in my post... i would take lexus over audi any day....

i agree it's all just personal preference... it just happens i hate audi...

you might be right that audi has the best interior... but if i look at my SL 2005 and CL 2007, i am very happy with the exterior .... probably the marginal better interiors in an audi won't be noticeable for me.. the interior of my SL and CL still look same as new even after all the drivings... i am happy and satisfied with it...

understated styling ... that's a good way to say 'boring'...

if i am paying the price of a honda, it's fine to have understated styling... but definitely not acceptable when i am paying for a german car...
Old 08-20-2008, 03:28 AM

SL

by the way... i didn't say all these because of your post... i just feel like sharing what i think about audis with anyone....
Old 08-20-2008, 05:05 AM

C63 AMG
You say you are choosing between a 08 C63 and an end of line RS4?

If this is truly the case then why are the PP issues causing you any concern at all???

I think there must have been 20 plus Topic's on this forum alone here saying that only 09 C63's are having any form of PP let alone the fully blown one that won’t come until October time?

Also not sure about the states but here in the UK RS4's are dropping like hot stuff.

Over here there are still privately owned ones in the classifieds going for top money but I think you will find much like those adverts you are probably looking at in the States they are just ADVERTS.

The difference between what an owner thinks their car is worth and what they actually get offered is two different things.

Here in the UK Audi R8's are still supposedly holding top money 2nd hand but in reality they have dropped massively and now with so many cancelled ordered coming through due to the credit crunch dealers are offering fully spec'd cars for the price of a Std Car.

I think if you are contemplating a RS4 then you need to also realise its end of line and will definitely devalue as stocks of RS6's arrive and obviously when the new RS4 comes online too.

As for me i had exactly the same dilemma, end of line RS4 or wait for my C63, i am so glad i waited as the C63 is just what i wanted.

Either way good luck
Old 08-20-2008, 05:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MercPlease
If you want a stick and won't be in the city much I'd get the RS4. Other wise I'd get the C63.

The looks and styling of the C63 look newer and better IMO.
LOL, I would say the opposite. The C will have far better highway manners than the Audi, wheras the Audi may be more fun in the city.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:29 AM

08 C63 AMG, 09 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, 09 Audi A8L, 09 Ferrari California, 08 S Class
I've spent a lot of time in an RS4 and I liked it... Just try and test drive both cars. It's not as if the audi is slow, and 6 speed manual stick shift is quite a nice gearbox. Shifts are quick and feel good each time you shift. Interior in the audi is solid, and the bose soundsystem does an excellent job. Not sure what seats you'd be going for- the recaro's are more luxurious while the full on bucket seat option is also great- however they are uncomfortable for long journeys. In terms of the seats I feel the merc does a great job.. they are not uncomfortable and feel like they just wrap around u.

Think about the auto vs manual thing. The audi is not a bad car, I like the whole "wolf in sheeps clothing" feeling in that car. Exhaust note is not bad, but nothing compared to the noise the merc makes. Consumption-wise the audi is not bad, the merc drinks like a hopeless alcoholic.

Goodluck with your choice, I would sway towards the merc as its newer. If you do get the RS4 and then see any of the newer audi's you'll notice how they have a reworked interior (which is very nice) and you wont have that. Other option is S5, and if you want to wait, RS5.

Just go and buy the 63! I highly doubt you will regret it.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
just the MB brand name is worth much more than that

You've obviously never seen the depreciation on an MB product.

Take the Audi for 7k under MSRP. You could it drive it for an entire year, sell it, and probably break even.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
I absolutely HATE slush boxes. That being said, I bought the 63 over an RS4. The RS just drove too tamely. Sure it was pleasant to push, but just not a beast. The 63's animal characteristics won me over.

Another point to consider - Audi tuning for that car, almost nonexistent. On the other hand, the 63 has a bunch of people queueing up to give you back an extra 50+ ponies. That there is a big factor a few years down the road when you tire of the stock power.

Either way, you'll be happy though!

P
Old 08-20-2008, 09:56 AM

C63, LR3
I loved my RS4 but the C63 is just bananas...It really comes down to what you prefer. two great cars on opposite sides of the fence.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by silver_metallic

Take the Audi for 7k under MSRP. You could it drive it for an entire year, sell it, and probably break even.
That's very true. People who own old-body SL65's, CL65's are dying right now. A $180K car is now the price of a new E350...

If you like stick better than auto I would get the RS4. If you don't mind just steering the car while the car drives you, then get the C63.

But also, if you feel you are getting a very good deal on the RS4, I would say get that. Because at the end of the day it'll make your car experience better, knowing you got a great deal and a good product.

Either one is good. Good luck!

Tee_Tz.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
actually i was wrong in my post... i would take lexus over audi any day....

i agree it's all just personal preference... it just happens i hate audi...

you might be right that audi has the best interior... but if i look at my SL 2005 and CL 2007, i am very happy with the exterior .... probably the marginal better interiors in an audi won't be noticeable for me.. the interior of my SL and CL still look same as new even after all the drivings... i am happy and satisfied with it...

understated styling ... that's a good way to say 'boring'...

if i am paying the price of a honda, it's fine to have understated styling... but definitely not acceptable when i am paying for a german car...
The easiest way to tell why an Audi is better than a Lexus is:

You may think the current say... IS350 looks better than say an A4. But now, go on eBay and look up the IS 10 Years ago and an A4 10 Years ago. See the styling differences.... The Japanese cars (Lexus, Infiniti, Acura) look absolutely hidious! (no offense, just one opinion). Compare it to a 90's BMW or Mercedes and you'll see that the German "understated" luxury is not trendy or flashy, but quality that lasts for ages.

Tee_Tz.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
The RS4 is a spectacular car. Felt way more involving to drive than the C63. The 63 is faster by a good bit, but thats not what a car is all about. The interior of the RS4 is getting dated quickly, but in terms of materials it is superior to the 63, which was diasappointingly cheap.

What I would do is this:

Get the Rs4, drive it for 2 years, sell it at maybe a 2k loss, and then use the proceeds to buy a C63, which will be selling in the 40s.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:23 PM

2009 C63 Capri Blue
Originally Posted by silver_metallic

You've obviously not been shopping Audi's recently. New '08 RS4's are going for 11k under MSRP - not 7k. That means if you buy it now, drive it for a year, and trade it, you'll get $50-52k if you're lucky.

Re: the RS4 vs. C63

I've been working on this decision for a while (also considering the M3 sedan), and I ended up going with the C63 as a replacement for my 911 Carerra S. I drove the M3, RS4, and C63 almost back to back (I actually took the test drive loaner C63 to Audi and got right in the RS4). Here are my thoughts:

M3 - best track athelete of the bunch; upgraded interior from E46 (along with extra weight); excellent seats & rear room; horrible clutch and shifter feel; worst gadgetry/amenities of the bunch; great engine noise, but you have to wring it out to get the power (a la S2000).

RS4 - best all-weather car (except that I'm in a sunshine state); wasn't impressed with the legendary Audi "fit and finish"; worst rear seat room & seats, although driver/passenger recaros were excellent; least exciting exhaust note; fast but boring to drive; amenities slightly below C63 (will improve with B8 RS4); most overpriced (see discounting above)

C63 - good mix of luxury and performance; feels like it would be the slowest around the track (Top Gear found it to be faster than RS4, slower than M3); best daily driver; worst mileage; biggest "giggle factor" when you get on the throttle (i.e. brings the biggest grin); best rear seats and room; best gadgetry and amenities (see B8 RS4 above); slush box only

The biggest things that would make me reconsider the C63 are a) lack of manual tranny or dual clutch gearbox (evidence it is geared more for luxury than performance), b) weight, c) mileage, and d) depreciation. Despite those inhibitors, it was still the most FUN to drive on a daily basis. It took a long time to not think about all I was losing from my 911 which will smoke all three in anything but straight line drag racing, but I finally wrapped my mind around the fact that 98% of my driving is on regular roads - commuting once in a while, driving my kids to daycare or my parents, going to the store. So the 2% of the time I'll miss the car will be more than made up for being able to carry both kids 98% of the time.

Decision: C63
Old 08-20-2008, 12:31 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
just to clarify on pricing

At $63k loaded (including destination charges and gas guzzler), this price is approximately $10k off MSRP or $5k below invoice....

Thanks for all the feedback, will need to decide today (not so much that the C63 AMG has to be purchased immediately, but that I would need to turn down the RS4 deal)...

I really think it comes down to whether you want a point and squirt torque monster or something a little more subtle/nuanced and involving. Wish I could have both...

One of the things I am looking into is rear seat crash ratings, as I will frequently have my two toddler boys in the back with me...
Old 08-20-2008, 12:40 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
To Gravdgr

thanks for taking the time to write up... a few reactions

- i test drove the M3 sedan and dismissed it early on...found it to be extremely uninspiring and felt like a regular 3-series at anything under 7k rpm, also dont like all the swoopy stuff inside/dash, doors, etc.

- there will be two car seats permanently attached in the back of whatever sedan I choose... i am selling my two Porsche 911s and Toyota Avalon (daily) to buy the uber-sedan replacement...

- like you, I will probably spend 75% of the time driving to work or schools or store, whatever... but there is the weekend, and oh how I love to drive my Porsches early in the morning on a sat/sun... will that still be fun/involving with an automatic Mercedes? seems like the pro with the RS4 is you can shift conservatively and drive calmly during the week, but also rip around without the kids on a weekend... yes you can do that with C63 also, but maybe not as involving (?)

- nothing can compete with the rawness, power, and exhaust note of the C63, but I am a bit surprised to hear your comments about engine note and interior of the Audi...both which I thought were quite sweet, as noted on the Top Gear episode you referenced. (By the way, around the track the RS4 was like 0.4 seconds slower from start to finish...on the drag test, the C63 blew its doors off).

- last, all of the reviews and stories have me a little worried about the overall safety/planted nature of the car on the road... most say, you really should try to get the LSD, but only comes with PP, which makes the suspension so stiff the car bounces around on the street. lots of the videos, tests, posts, reviews, etc. make this car sound like more than a handful on the road...ok when I am by myself with no traffic, but what about with kids in back when it is raining, ice, whatever. I too live in a sunny state so we dont get too much of that, but when we do...

- my heart is saying c63 would be more fun, but my mind is saying that RS4 might be the better all around choice for a Dad that is hanging up his Porsche keys for awhile

Thanks all for indulging my long rants

Last edited by jtrichel; 08-20-2008 at 12:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Its Decision Time - RS4 vs. C63 AMG