C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Manual Tranny Possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
15 GLA 45, 09 C63, 06 WRX STi
Manual Tranny Possible?

I believe if the C63 has a manual tranny it would be the perfect sports car. Its the only thing thats holding me back and making me look at the M3 and other manual cars.

Since this is already a "custom car" do you think it would ever be possible through LOTS of talking and going up the MB managment chain (and probably lots of extra cash) to make them build my C63 with a Manual tranny? Ive seen other "personalized" AMG cars before with different interiors etc. I cant imagine that it would require that much extra effort to slap on a manual tranny instead of a disgusting automatic.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C63s
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jstefanop
I believe if the C63 has a manual tranny it would be the perfect sports car. Its the only thing thats holding me back and making me look at the M3 and other manual cars.

Since this is already a "custom car" do you think it would ever be possible through LOTS of talking and going up the MB managment chain (and probably lots of extra cash) to make them build my C63 with a Manual tranny? Ive seen other "personalized" AMG cars before with different interiors etc. I cant imagine that it would require that much extra effort to slap on a manual tranny instead of a disgusting automatic.
First, to start, I don't know about calling the C63 being a "custom car". I mean, it's pretty much standard procedure for AMG to squeeze the biggest possible engine into any car Mercedes makes. (Of course leave it to Brabus to jam the V12 in the engine bay... I love the Bullit )

But I digress...

In response to the initial question though; with enough money, anything is possible. I couldn't even imagine how much Mercedes would charge you to do this, not to mention if they even would. A while back there was a lot of talk about an SLK in Dubai that had an SLR engine swapped in. I'm not sure if the guy that owned it actually bought it from MB that way, or if he had the work done after. Either way it must have cost an absurd amount of money. Factor in the fact that most of the really unique "one-off" MBs are usually only made for royalty or high-level MB execs the chances of getting them to do the tranny swap are about zero. Also, I believe the 2.9L V6 in the C300 is the highest powered MB engine to be mated to a manual transmission, and that only has 228 hp. The 6.2L would annihilate that tranny for sure.

To answer your question: NO

p.s. Sorry about the long post. I couldn't sleep.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like was said before, the C63 is not a custom car, not even built to order in most cases.

MB does not even have a manual transmission designed to accomodate anywhere near that amount of power.

Another point, with enough money anything would be possible, but the car would end up costing more than an SLR.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:04 AM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
I have to say I don't think it would be worth the hassle. If you really want a manual tranny there are other great alternatives like the M3 as you've mentioned, and perhaps the upcoming RS5. Since one would usually equate a manual tranny as being more involving, and the M3 as a slightly better driver's car than the C63, then the choice seems logical to me?

As far as the C63's disgusting automatic, I don't see it that way at all. The majority of the cars I've driven/drive are manual, and I enjoy the driving experience, however I find the 7g tranny suits the C63 well imo. I guess I was simply looking for a car with lots of power that took out the equation of driver error in regards to launches and mis-shifts. When it comes to this car, I just want to mash and go.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Originally Posted by nrgy
I have to say I don't think it would be worth the hassle. If you really want a manual tranny there are other great alternatives like the M3 as you've mentioned, and perhaps the upcoming RS5. Since one would usually equate a manual tranny as being more involving, and the M3 as a slightly better driver's car than the C63, then the choice seems logical to me?

As far as the C63's disgusting automatic, I don't see it that way at all. The majority of the cars I've driven/drive are manual, and I enjoy the driving experience, however I find the 7g tranny suits the C63 well imo. I guess I was simply looking for a car with lots of power that took out the equation of driver error in regards to launches and mis-shifts. When it comes to this car, I just want to mash and go.
I am on the same page, i have driven manual most of my life and with this car i Do Not miss it at all, this was the single most important issue for me when deciding between the three germans(M3, RS4), but all the literature on the C63 persuaded me, very happy i went with this car, the tranny 7Gtronic is quite impressive.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
15 GLA 45, 09 C63, 06 WRX STi
ok maybe i should ask this question then, and you guys that have driven manual cars can chime in here. Does the C63 tranny (in manual mode i guess) provide the same feedback and control that a stick shift does?

I have also read conflicting reports on whether this tranny has a torque converter or a double clutch, which is it? If its double clutch then the C63 tranny in manual mode should the same driving experience a manually tranny does except no clutch pedal
Old 09-11-2008, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
haha, nothing can ever replace the feeling of executing a perfect heel-toe double clutch downshift in preparation for a corner on a race track. NOTHING!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG / 2009 Nissan GT-R / 1988 Ferrari 328 / 1977 Maserati Bora
ok maybe i should ask this question then, and you guys that have driven manual cars can chime in here. Does the C63 tranny (in manual mode i guess) provide the same feedback and control that a stick shift does?
NO. It'll select a lower gear on its own and it will not allow you to shift to a higher gear it IT believes that the revs are too low in that gear. Also no neutral, so it will gear down. It gives you more control, but there is still the evil automatic overlord looking over your shoulder and sometimes driving from the back seat. I find the whole think a bit frustrating.

I have also read conflicting reports on whether this tranny has a torque converter or a double clutch, which is it? If its double clutch then the C63 tranny in manual mode should the same driving experience a manually tranny does except no clutch pedal
Torque converter, and again NO.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by dbvolz
First, to start, I don't know about calling the C63 being a "custom car". I mean, it's pretty much standard procedure for AMG to squeeze the biggest possible engine into any car Mercedes makes. (Of course leave it to Brabus to jam the V12 in the engine bay... I love the Bullit )

But I digress...

In response to the initial question though; with enough money, anything is possible. I couldn't even imagine how much Mercedes would charge you to do this, not to mention if they even would. A while back there was a lot of talk about an SLK in Dubai that had an SLR engine swapped in. I'm not sure if the guy that owned it actually bought it from MB that way, or if he had the work done after. Either way it must have cost an absurd amount of money. Factor in the fact that most of the really unique "one-off" MBs are usually only made for royalty or high-level MB execs the chances of getting them to do the tranny swap are about zero. Also, I believe the 2.9L V6 in the C300 is the highest powered MB engine to be mated to a manual transmission, and that only has 228 hp. The 6.2L would annihilate that tranny for sure.

To answer your question: NO

p.s. Sorry about the long post. I couldn't sleep.
FYI - 3.5L M272 V6 in the W203 C350 and the R171 SLK is the most powerfull engine you can get in a manual. It makes 268hp.