Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting off 4 cats ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cutting off 4 cats ...

What do you think guys...im thinking since long tubes headers are out of reach for me (since the only availables are 8000 and not even out) im thinking about cutting the 4 cats off...should provide 30-40hp and even nicer exhaust tone!
Only thing im worried is running a little on the lean side
Old 10-04-2008, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
You'll end up with CELs.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:53 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Carey
What do you think guys...im thinking since long tubes headers are out of reach for me (since the only availables are 8000 and not even out) im thinking about cutting the 4 cats off...should provide 30-40hp and even nicer exhaust tone!
Only thing im worried is running a little on the lean side
We can turn of the secondary 02 related CEL/MIL with a tune. Otherwise if you can wait 6 weeks or so we'll have our full exhaust (SS longtubes and 3" back including a true X-pipe with your choice of off-road or 100cpi-400cpi metallic substrate cats) ready.

Thanks
Andy
Old 10-04-2008, 02:38 PM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
Originally Posted by MHP
We can turn of the secondary 02 related CEL/MIL with a tune. Otherwise if you can wait 6 weeks or so we'll have our full exhaust (SS longtubes and 3" back including a true X-pipe with your choice of off-road or 100cpi-400cpi metallic substrate cats) ready.

Thanks
Andy
Very cool. For clarification, the longtube header will eliminate the first set of cats, correct? If that is the case, and there are some of us that don't want the bother or expense of headers, will you offer a "manifold-back" xpipe that will, like the longtubes, eliminate the first cats?

Any idea on pricing?
Thanks for all of your input (on this and other topics!)
Old 10-04-2008, 03:34 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by clktoc63
Very cool. For clarification, the longtube header will eliminate the first set of cats, correct? If that is the case, and there are some of us that don't want the bother or expense of headers, will you offer a "manifold-back" xpipe that will, like the longtubes, eliminate the first cats?
Our full exhaust will only have 2 cats (primary set), not the secondary set, in the customers choice of cell count--or off road pipes. Yes we will also be fabricating a manifold back setup with X pipe, and yet another exhaust option for those that just want headers.

Any idea on pricing?
Thanks for all of your input (on this and other topics!)
I can't say for sure yet, but pricing for hard parts like headers/exhaust/pulleys/thermal gaskets, etc. will be lower than what I've seen on the market to date. As soon as I have more info I'll post it.

The car goes in for exhaust fab. after complete v2 testing (dyno/track) next week.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Almost a Member!

MTM AUDI TT October Built C63 AMG Palladium Silver. PP ,CF,Alcantara Steering wheel
Andy what about a choice of a full titanium exhaust for weight purposes, i am sure that you will have a lot of buyers...
Old 10-05-2008, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MHP
Yes we will also be fabricating a manifold back setup with X pipe, and yet another exhaust option for those that just want headers.

I can't say for sure yet, but pricing for hard parts like headers/exhaust/pulleys/thermal gaskets, etc. will be lower than what I've seen on the market to date. As soon as I have more info I'll post it.
Yes!
Old 10-05-2008, 12:51 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by highlander
Andy what about a choice of a full titanium exhaust for weight purposes, i am sure that you will have a lot of buyers...
The difference in weight is easily offset by the additional cost. $$$$$$. If you can put together a list of committed buyers (as in ten people ready to put a deposit down) I'll look into it.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:17 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by highlander
WTF, why stop there, just go full in Inconel since money is not the problem.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:19 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Glock Guru
WTF, why stop there, just go full in Inconel since money is not the problem.
That's some seriously hard **** to work with.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Almost a Member!

MTM AUDI TT October Built C63 AMG Palladium Silver. PP ,CF,Alcantara Steering wheel
money is never a problem just come with good unique upgrades...
Old 10-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Almost a Member!

here is the first one ready to put down the deposit(seriously)...come on guys lets put on some titanium on our cars along with the carbon
Old 10-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Other than the header(s) upgrade over the OEM log manifolds(s) is there are increase in power/ torque with an exhaust upgrade. Do any of the name brand tuners offer an exhaust upgrade yet with dyno numbers to back it up? If there is no real power upgrade from the exhaust system whats the point of hacking the OEM system up for? More noise, I'll pass.

-Troy
Old 10-05-2008, 11:26 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Glock Guru
Other than the header(s) upgrade over the OEM log manifolds(s) is there are increase in power/ torque with an exhaust upgrade. Do any of the name brand tuners offer an exhaust upgrade yet with dyno numbers to back it up? If there is no real power upgrade from the exhaust system whats the point of hacking the OEM system up for? More noise, I'll pass.

-Troy
I can't speak for anyone else but after throwing mine up on a lift and inspecting the exhaust there is definitely room for improvement. Larger diameter tubing, mandrel bends (instead of the dented factory pieces around the diff), a true X-pipe, removal of the secondary cats, and longtubes should all add up to some decent power. Our goal is to retain the factory tips (which everyone loves including me) and not blow your eardrums out while still picking up power.
I'll post clips, and dyno/track results so everyone can decide for themselves if the gains are worth it or not.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2008, 12:21 AM

09 c63
Originally Posted by MHP
I can't speak for anyone else but after throwing mine up on a lift and inspecting the exhaust there is definitely room for improvement. Larger diameter tubing, mandrel bends (instead of the dented factory pieces around the diff), a true X-pipe, removal of the secondary cats, and longtubes should all add up to some decent power. Our goal is to retain the factory tips (which everyone loves including me) and not blow your eardrums out while still picking up power.
I'll post clips, and dyno/track results so everyone can decide for themselves if the gains are worth it or not.

Thanks
sounds perfect to me