Sponsored by:

Thinking between a GTR or C63? This may help you decide:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 e90 m3/09 c63/ 06 cls55 /
Thinking between a GTR or C63? This may help you decide:

When the GTR first came out and its performance figures were published for all to see I was one of the staunchest defenders of this car. But now with news that Nissan voids your warranty after 1 launch with VDC off and Nissan lovers proclaiming that the drivers manual says they should only turn vdc off to get themselves out of the snow... the GTR and its fanboys are quickly losing ground:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25361

Yeah this is a joke. Apparently the guy launched his car 20 times in 2 weeks, but I don't think nissan advertised that there are a limited number of launches before you have to shell out 20 grand to fix your car.

From what I gathered in that thread if you launch your car even once it voids the warranty according to Nissan.

What did the fanboys have to say about it? They all proudly proclaimed that NOWHERE does Nissan advertise that the car can go 0-60 in 3.8 seconds or whatever it is.. nor do they advertise launch control. I'm pretty sure without launch control the GTR wouldn't be able to achieve its launch times.

And of course when the GTR fanboys are confronted with the fact that every single media publication highly touted it and Nissan had engineers present who said nothing against launching the car essentially silently endorsing the use of launch control and confirming that the car can achieve 0-60 and its various other acceleration figures with the launch control. The GTR lovers proclaim that they never will use launch control or turn VDC off because.. whats the point? Some guy's driven his for over 6000 miles already and not once used the launch control and he never intends to. Why? Because its already the "most enjoyable car he's ever driven" and whats the point of going a few tenths of a second faster.

Their greatest rebuttal stems from the fact: OH nissan said the VDC off is ONLY for getting out of the snow. You should've known better. Also at one point they accused the guy of modifying his completely stock less than a month old GTR. Then when that didn't pan out they blamed the guy for driving the car too aggressively. I never knew that Nissan made the GTR to be babied around like some of the lovers of the GTR proclaimed. Last time I checked most of its street cred came from its blistering performance and track times. Apparently if you attempt to achieve any of those results even once your warranty is void and you'll be stuck with a huge bill.

It's funny how when the GTR ring times were announced the denizens of nagtroc were proclaiming this car the new king of performance ushering in a new era of automotive excellence. Fast forward to today and now you have throngs of GTR lovers making every excuse under the sun as to why its OK for them to have to pay 20 grand to replace their transmission after 2 weeks of car ownership.

Apparently one local Nissan tech was taught that the transmission will pretty much kill itself in 10 launches. Not bad if you don't mind paying 2 grand per launch.. its just like a really expensive carnival ride.

Last edited by impr; 10-07-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:14 PM

bike

Nissan is ridiculous.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:18 PM

09 C63
I know that your subject mentions the C63, but the rest of the post says nothing about C63. What does this have to do with the C63? I was trying to figure out the relevance. Not bashing, but could you please explain? GTR was never even in the question for me. M3, Infiniti G37 and Lexus ISF (Albeit briefly) were. I don't really get the comparison to an Eastern Ricer boy racer car... ?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
interesting.

also interesting is the new claim about how the GTR's times on the Nurburgring are not valid

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/mo...t_nurburgring/
Old 10-07-2008, 01:25 PM

AMGBeleza there have been topics in this forum where posters are deciding between the GTR and C63.

The GTR and C63 sure they have disparate markets and are catered to different audiences but for some since their pricing is so close it lends itself to cross shopping for someone who is undecided between finding an all out performance vehicle to a german performance sedan.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
I've been waiting for a thread to opine on the GTR... There's at least one running around North Scottsdale and as much as I know the performance is awesome, I think it is a butt-ugly car, I can't stand the looks. For $70k and all that performance you'd think they either would have made it look more like a sports car, or a classier coupe.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
I was really between the GTR and a few other cars for my next toy. This news is upsetting, but not really surprising given the backhanded way Nissan has handled the launch of this car. Something is completely rotten in Japan.

P.S.- OP, there's no such thing as a 2007 CLS55. Don't make me put a magnifying glass to you son.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:20 PM

97 E420 W210, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon
Well thats really unfortunate. Everybody was excited with a car with supercar performance for significantly cheaper than most supercars nowadays. Well it doesnt really mean anything if u CANT DRIVE IT LIKE A SUPERCAR now does it. I also read that any damages done due to racing are not covered in the warranty. Im not talking street racing either. This doesnt mean its voided but if u blow ur tranny from racing at the track, which should not happen in the first place, u have to pay for it out of ur pocket. They talk about it like they are waiting for it to happen or know it can happen easily. Honestly people dont really buy a car like this just to drive to work and back. Its kinda crazy. I guess we found out why its a significantly cheaper supercar than most? Dont take my word for it though, correct me if im wrong.

Last edited by h0rn3t920; 10-07-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 PM

09 c63
Originally Posted by h0rn3t920
Well thats really unfortunate. Everybody was excited with a car with supercar performance for significantly cheaper than most supercars nowadays. Well it doesnt really mean anything if u CANT DRIVE IT LIKE A SUPERCAR now does it. I also read that any damages done due to racing are not covered in the warranty. Im not talking street racing either. This doesnt mean its voided but if u blow ur tranny from racing at the track, which should not happen in the first place, u have to pay for it out of ur pocket. Honestly people dont really buy a car like this just to drive to work and back. Its kinda crazy. I guess we found out why its a significantly cheaper supercar than most? Dont take my word for it though, correct me if im wrong.
I guess you get what you pay for
Old 10-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 C320
anyone driven their c63 really really hard yet; like ***** to the max kinda driving, drive it like you stole it, etc?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:33 PM

e550 4m
sure have - we have alot of mountains and i was ripping through one soon after breaking it in (my way). noticed some brake fade and a little understeer when really pushing it but with the windows down in and around mountain walls it is freaking incredible.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
I

P.S.- OP, there's no such thing as a 2007 CLS55. Don't make me put a magnifying glass to you son.
Oh Oh...The Cylinder Headinator smells blood...

Stay tuned......
Old 10-07-2008, 05:14 PM

Lol my bad I bought the car in 2006 August after getting back from overseas.. I'll change that in my profile after I finish this post.

Call up John Windfield at the Mercedes Benz dealership at the Richmond BC (that's in Canada btw). Ask him if he remembers selling one of the first cls55's to arrive in BC to a couple. Mike and Sherry. Got the car in white/grey interior dynamic drive seats. I originally ordered it with only 1 dynamic seat but the car came delivered with two. no p30 pkg since it wasn't available when I first got the car. Also opted to switch the stock rims for the StyleIV amg rims. Other options include the Harmon Kardon speaker system.. no nav, no backup sensors.

604-278-7662 again ask for John Windfield. I'll go and take pictures for you since I just finished washing it since its such a matter of consternation for you. And really calling me son? Rather than think it was just a typo that I didn't really pay attention to considering 6 and 7 are so close together. Yep I've got an IMAGINARY cls55 sitting in my garage that I wash bi-weekly.

Yeah stay tuned for me uploading a pic of when I washed the side of my car.. son.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking between a GTR or C63?  This may help you decide:-iphone-pictures-618.jpg   Thinking between a GTR or C63?  This may help you decide:-iphone-pictures-583.jpg   Thinking between a GTR or C63?  This may help you decide:-iphone-pictures-590.jpg   Thinking between a GTR or C63?  This may help you decide:-iphone-pictures-471.jpg  
Old 10-07-2008, 05:15 PM

Yeah Scott eat that popcorn.. keep eating...

Nice try at being smug though. Yeah its a shame a typo invalidates someone from owning a car in the real world. Good work detective pat on the back.

edit here's one more pic of the front fender badging if you think I'm one of those poseurs who take amg badges and stick them on their trunklid cuz they got amg rims on:
Attached Thumbnails Thinking between a GTR or C63?  This may help you decide:-iphone-pictures-538.jpg  

Last edited by impr; 10-07-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Somebody needs a magnifying glass put to their manhood, getting THAT butthurt about a simple comment? This dude even PM'ed me! Wow take it easy there soldier, did you drop too much on Lehman stock in January?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:39 PM

Umm wow someone got rebutted and that's the best you can come up with? Yeah insult my manhood.. last time I checked the size of my ***** didn't really have much to do with the car I drive and the theoretical stocks that I didn't buy.

I live in Canada and invest in real estate. Oh yeah I PM'd you to let you know that your proof was there. Isn't that what PM system is for? I guess in your case you use it to measure the ***** sizes of prospective mates eh?

edit:

Look like someone's compensating for a lack of a package calling someone son. Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm over 25 already well past your Chris Hansen attracting activities :p

edit2:

I just noticed you really like using magnifying glasses.. I guess that makes sense for someone of your 'stature'. Now personally I don't own one since I can see what I need to see just fine.

Last edited by impr; 10-07-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Somebody needs a magnifying glass put to their manhood, getting THAT butthurt about a simple comment? This dude even PM'ed me! Wow take it easy there soldier, did you drop too much on Lehman stock in January?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:46 PM

Scott I fail to see what your beef with me is. I notice that you and cylinder head are tight. Its ok I'm cool with that lifestyle I mean we do live in a modern world here right? I don't roll that way but... I fail to see how your compatriot CylinderHead took my rebuttal as butthurt.

He effectively accused me of lying about what vehicles I own and decided to deride me by calling me "son". All I did was provide beyond necessary proof that I do in fact have the car in question in my possession.

Nice usages of emoticons though.. must have taken up a lot of brain cells for you to realize you can use THOSE to imply phrases rather than writing and typing BIG WORDS.

Good on you.. so brave!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:51 PM

e550 4m
This just makes me think of the problems MB will give when you tune and somethign happens ... I am sure all automakers are in for a tough one here, I remember 4 months ago i was trying to get a new diesel jetta for commuting and they were sold out for a year at least, now i get a call a week from the dealers saying people cant get financing. hard to scale back production once its already been slotted and started.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by impr
Scott I fail to see what your beef with me is. I notice that you and cylinder head are tight. Its ok I'm cool with that lifestyle I mean we do live in a modern world here right? I don't roll that way but... I fail to see how your compatriot CylinderHead took my rebuttal as butthurt.

He effectively accused me of lying about what vehicles I own and decided to deride me by calling me "son". All I did was provide beyond necessary proof that I do in fact have the car in question in my possession.

Nice usages of emoticons though.. must have taken up a lot of brain cells for you to realize you can use THOSE to imply phrases rather than writing and typing BIG WORDS.

Good on you.. so brave!
Wow. Hair trigger going today?

Actually, I did not have a "beef" with you at all. I do not know Cyliner Head, other than his often humorous and revealing posts. My original post to this thread was not even directed at you as much as at Cylinder Heads ablity to seek out the truth. He has called out many people on this forum. Many were worth calling out. Apperantly, you are an exception.

Your attitude, however, is not an exception on the C63 fourm. It seems people come here to get pissy (or stupid) with people. Heck, I've seen some of the most revered members of MBWorld come to the C63 forum and lose all sense of reason. I come here for the entertainment or when I feel up for a good a*s whipping (hopefully not my own).

I feel we have gotten off on the wrong foot. If you can accept my apology for any misunderstanding I have created, I would prefer we be civil.

Insert emoticon here.

Last edited by ScottW911; 10-07-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:07 PM

ScottW911 apology accepted. We definitely did get off on the wrong foot... I also would like to take this time to apologize to you for essentially calling you a homosexual retard.

I have noticed on this forum there's a lot of hilarity to be found. I just don't appreciate being called a liar. But I continue to visit it as there is also a lot of valuable information from sponsors and tuners on the parts and services they provide. Delivery of my 09 c63 can't come soon enough then I can finally sell off my old rex.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:22 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic
///

Mufflers Vs Blenders.
Allways wanted to say that.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Yikes i cant believe this huge booboo that Nissan made, to give you a car with all this potential and allow it to blow up in your hands after a few launches, what a POS, thank god I didnt even consider this car as a replacement for my built track car 350Z, first off its butt ugly, secondly its sounds like a high powered Hoover vacuum cleaner.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by impr
ScottW911 apology accepted. We definitely did get off on the wrong foot... I also would like to take this time to apologize to you for essentially calling you a homosexual retard. .
All is good. I am sorry about the "child rapist and Freddie Mac employee" thing I said about you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Thinking between a GTR or C63? This may help you decide: