Sponsored by:

Front License Plate Solution!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Question Front License Plate Solution!

Alright, so I have been searching all around the internet for a good solution that we can all prosper from and here are the contenders.. please do not hesitate to shed some light.. in fact I beg you to do so and thank you in advance! Let's for once and all settle this issue.

RPI Designs: $159.95 and originally designed for the Corvette.

SwiftMotorsports: $179 and can be applied to virtually any automobile.

Altec Show-n-Go Retractable Front License Plate Holder - 400U: $54.95, it is virtually the same idea as the one made by SwiftMotosport however it is designed to work manually and it is not electronically operated.

Altec Remote Control Show n Go Retractable License Plate Holder -400EU: 159.95, it is also operated by a remote control device.

Autoloc Retractable License Plate Motor W/ Control: $135 and both the website alongside the product look fishy.

Please do mention whether you have experience with any of these devices, as one of my main concerns is the issue of aerodynamics, noise and the tolerance of the plate holder under high drag pressure and wind resistance.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:47 PM
passcheco

Thats a great idea, but where its going mount on the C63, overall I like it a lot
Old 10-15-2008, 11:56 PM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Originally Posted by passcheco
Thats a great idea, but where its going mount on the C63, overall I like it a lot
Exactly what I want to know! I am sooo close in ordering one of those! they seem to be the same.. what we need at the moment is to hear from the people who have been dealing with this car up front and personal for a while, doing mods and etc.

Come on people.. this could help us all!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:03 AM

2015 BMW M3 White/Black
Originally Posted by mrtesting
Alright, so I have been searching all around the internet for a good solution that we can all prosper from and here are the contenders.. please do not hesitate to shed some light.. in fact I beg you to do so and thank you in advance! Let's for once and all settle this issue.

RPI Designs: $159.95 and originally designed for the Corvette.

SwiftMotorsports: $179 and can be applied to virtually any automobile.

Altec Show-n-Go Retractable Front License Plate Holder - 400U: $54.95, it is virtually the same idea as the one made by SwiftMotosport however it is designed to work manually and it is not electronically operated.

Altec Remote Control Show n Go Retractable License Plate Holder -400EU: 159.95, it is also operated by a remote control device.

Autoloc Retractable License Plate Motor W/ Control: $135 and both the website alongside the product look fishy.

Please do mention whether you have experience with any of these devices, as one of my main concerns is the issue of aerodynamics, noise and the tolerance of the plate holder under high drag pressure and wind resistance.

Actually, they are very cool. I have been going sans a plate which is a huge no no in my state. I Have been debating what to do at inspection time and if I get pulled over. How funny would it be to get pulled over for not having a front plate and then tell the cop "what are you talking about, I have a front plate, go ahead and take a look" LOL.

Thanks for bringing these to everyone's attention.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:04 AM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
No problem at all! But what is the verdict? can we install? should we buy?
Old 10-16-2008, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 C63 AMG
the RPI design and the swiftmotorsport looks very very similar BUT dont do it!!! I installed the swiftmotorsport in my front bumper, installing is easy just screw it under the cover panelling but its scraping especially if the plate is folded under neat the bumper thats why I took it out. Its scraping coz i'm lowered .

Last edited by MNL ICE; 10-16-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-MINI.html

They make one for MB too, but the mini one has better pics.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:36 AM

bike
I don't have a front license plate and haven't had them on my other cars either.

When I used to live in LA I was getting tickets all the time for not having a plate. It's just a $10 fix it ticket.

I would tape on the plate with doublesided tape, show it to the cop and get signed off. Then just take it off around the corner.

Rinse, repeat. No big deal really.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by bigbodybeeenz
I don't have a front license plate and haven't had them on my other cars either.

When I used to live in LA I was getting tickets all the time for not having a plate. It's just a $10 fix it ticket.

I would tape on the plate with doublesided tape, show it to the cop and get signed off. Then just take it off around the corner.

I tried that, even tried it with zip ties. They told me it had to be securely fastened, i.e. screwed down in some way.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 AM

C63 / ////AMG

Well, the rules are more strictly enforced in Kalifornia now, and the plate has to be secured, not just taped, etc.

I like the GoMiniGo option the best & am just about to get things ordered up for the Benz & the Porsche.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:08 AM

bike
Originally Posted by beemaze
Well, the rules are more strictly enforced in Kalifornia now, and the plate has to be secured, not just taped, etc.

I like the GoMiniGo option the best & am just about to get things ordered up for the Benz & the Porsche.
Maybe they changed the rules. I did have the plate screwed on the holder, and the holder was taped to the car. The cops never wiggled on it or anything...they just looked at it and signed it off.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:12 AM

C63 / ////AMG
Maybe they changed the rules. I did have the plate screwed on the holder, and the holder was taped to the car. The cops never wiggled on it or anything...they just looked at it and signed it off.
Nahhh, you just got lucky since you were dealing with Barney Fife....
Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 AM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)

Wow.. here in Toronto the fix it ticket is a whopping $110!
Old 10-16-2008, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
I did my research aswell and was about to purchase the motorized one from Swift Motosport but MNL ICE warned me not and plus Swift Motosport has no return policy on their products. You will pay 180 plus shipping and it takes about a couple weeks for it to arrive because they don't make enough.

Unfortunately I would suggest, especially for Cali drivers, to put it on the normal way if your scared of the Popos and don't want the hassle or just think on your feet if/when the Popo stops you.

I know my line already but I don't want to put it out in the open, just in case any Popos are on this forum haha....

Merc-Skycap
Old 10-16-2008, 11:35 AM
passcheco

Lucky you, here in SF the first time is a ticket 2nd time you have to take the car for then to see it, its a pain in the ***, but the pull out tray is sounds really good, the mounting is the issue.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
Originally Posted by e1000
http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-MINI.html

They make one for MB too, but the mini one has better pics.
Thinking about "Up-Grading" soon
Old 10-16-2008, 11:49 AM

S500
those are a good idea, im a take a look at my car to see if I can find a god place to mount. would be a good warning too if you happen to get too close to the parking curb, kinda like a curb feeler for the front! rather it be the plate than my bumper, and who cares if the plate is all scraped up its gonna be tucked most of the time.

im considering that cheap $54 one just for initial tries. i paid to have the holder taken off and holes filled. ive gotten pulled over twice for it, ever since i put the wheels on. I just tell them the car didnt come with one and one is being ordered from mercedes just takes time to get here from Germany
Old 10-16-2008, 12:06 PM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Originally Posted by MNL ICE
the RPI design and the swiftmotorsport looks very very similar BUT dont do it!!! I installed the swiftmotorsport in my front bumper, installing is easy just screw it under the cover panelling but its scraping especially if the plate is folded under neat the bumper thats why I took it out. Its scraping coz i'm lowered .
So MNL ICE, other than it scraping because your car was lowered, what were the other issues? Could it withstand air pressure?

I have not lowered my car, and as you said the installation is easy.. all I need to know is wether it is a good viable solution.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Have you guys seen the mounting plate that screws into the front tow hook? Easy on then easy off. And it won't harm your bumper.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by norb
Have you guys seen the mounting plate that screws into the front tow hook? Easy on then easy off. And it won't harm your bumper.
see the link i posted.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:06 PM

S500
didnt notice that mounted into the towing hook, thats pretty clever
Old 10-16-2008, 05:04 PM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Ok I just ordered the Gominigo tow hook solution! Can't wait till it arrives, I need to try it out! better be worth the money, and it better look good!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mrtesting
So MNL ICE, other than it scraping because your car was lowered, what were the other issues? Could it withstand air pressure?

I have not lowered my car, and as you said the installation is easy.. all I need to know is wether it is a good viable solution.
I tighten up the screws once in awhile, so i dont think its that stable, might flew when your driving really fast and might coz an accident.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by MNL ICE
I tighten up the screws once in awhile, so i dont think its that stable, might flew when your driving really fast and might coz an accident.
How's the install? ie where does the power to motor driven plate route? ie the 2 ez leads needed for conection

I'm deff doing this mod, a little lock-tight on the screws should keep it from flying away. Post pix please
Old 10-16-2008, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Thericker
How's the install? ie where does the power to motor driven plate route? ie the 2 ez leads needed for conection

I'm deff doing this mod, a little lock-tight on the screws should keep it from flying away. Post pix please
I did'nt buy the motorized one and no pix coz i took it out after few days. The reason why i tighten it once in awhile coz whenever i scrape or hit something the screws moves.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Solution!