Test drove the C63 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R8
Test drove the C63 today

I have to admit, I was really impressed with the C63 I test drove today. The car I drove was a press car, so I'm assuming it has been broken in pretty good already (I don't actually recall what the odometer reading was). The mid-range was especially impressive, even though I believe it was on "comfort" mode.

I'm like *this* close to ordering one, but just wanted to seek some advice before doing so.

1. What kind of real world fuel consumption are you folks seeing on your C63s? Both city and highway...

2. It doesn't snow a whole lot up here in Vancouver, but on those occasions that I do take it up to the mountains in Whistler during the winter months, how well is it going to perform in the snow (with proper snow tires, of course)?

3. Will I really miss out if I don't order the "AMG Performance Package", which in Canada includes the electronic speed limiter deletion, limited slip rear differential, carbon fibre trim, and the vaguely-decribed performance package? (The price for this option is C$6,500.)

4. Sorry for being dense, but are the rear seats heated as well?

5. Does anyone have pictures of a C63 in Tenorite Grey (not sure if this colour is available in the US)?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:22 AM

997.2 Turbo
The one you drove must have been in tenorite gray. That's the one I drove too. I have a few pics I can send you.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:36 AM

E92 335i&X6M
im in vancouver as well, which dealer did u go?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
AMG ME, can you post pictures of the tenorite grey??

Thats the colour i ordered but have never seen one in the flesh, photos in that colour on the net are pretty rare it seems
Old 11-03-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
- I have 3,500 miles on my car, and I've averaged 18.7 mpg from when I started the car. That includes taking it pretty easy for the first 1,000 miles. 1/2 of my miles have been highway. Lastly, I've been getting on it pretty hard the last 750 miles.

- Rear seats aren't heated.

- I didn't get the performance package, and although I wanted the LSD, my mods have got me to 540 flywheel horsepower and I'm not missing the performance package.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I have to admit, I was really impressed with the C63 I test drove today. The car I drove was a press car, so I'm assuming it has been broken in pretty good already (I don't actually recall what the odometer reading was). The mid-range was especially impressive, even though I believe it was on "comfort" mode.

I'm like *this* close to ordering one, but just wanted to seek some advice before doing so.

1. What kind of real world fuel consumption are you folks seeing on your C63s? Both city and highway...

2. It doesn't snow a whole lot up here in Vancouver, but on those occasions that I do take it up to the mountains in Whistler during the winter months, how well is it going to perform in the snow (with proper snow tires, of course)?

3. Will I really miss out if I don't order the "AMG Performance Package", which in Canada includes the electronic speed limiter deletion, limited slip rear differential, carbon fibre trim, and the vaguely-decribed performance package? (The price for this option is C$6,500.)

4. Sorry for being dense, but are the rear seats heated as well?

5. Does anyone have pictures of a C63 in Tenorite Grey (not sure if this colour is available in the US)?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

1. 12 in the city and 18 hwy for me
2. I've been to Whistler and I remember some poor BMW 645 spinning away in the snow earlier this year. With snow tires on comfort mode you'll still have to be very easy on the throttle.
3. On regular roads you'll be hard pressed to gain something from the performance package.
4. They aren't heated.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by AMG ME
The one you drove must have been in tenorite gray. That's the one I drove too. I have a few pics I can send you.

Actually, no, the one I test drove was silver. It looks pretty good in silver, I'll admit, but I kind of like the Tenorite Grey that I saw in the paint sample section.

But please, do send me pics if you have them. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by blitzpower
im in vancouver as well, which dealer did u go?
I went to the one in Richmond Automall. I had to put on a disguise so that the Audi guys across the street wouldn't see me walking into the Mercedes dealership.

LOL
Old 11-03-2008, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by OverBudget
- I have 3,500 miles on my car, and I've averaged 18.7 mpg from when I started the car. That includes taking it pretty easy for the first 1,000 miles. 1/2 of my miles have been highway. Lastly, I've been getting on it pretty hard the last 750 miles.

- Rear seats aren't heated.

- I didn't get the performance package, and although I wanted the LSD, my mods have got me to 540 flywheel horsepower and I'm not missing the performance package.

You average 18.7 mpg? Hey, that's not bad. I get about 16 right now on my car. But I do mostly city driving, whereas you spend half the time doing highway driving.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by GBlansten
1. 12 in the city and 18 hwy for me
2. I've been to Whistler and I remember some poor BMW 645 spinning away in the snow earlier this year. With snow tires on comfort mode you'll still have to be very easy on the throttle.
3. On regular roads you'll be hard pressed to gain something from the performance package.
4. They aren't heated.
On that second point...am I making the right decision by giving up AWD?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by Maverick1975
Thats the colour i ordered but have never seen one in the flesh, photos in that colour on the net are pretty rare it seems

Yes, I have yet to see even one photo of the car in that colour. And I certainly haven't seen any in the flesh either.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:45 PM

bike
I get 15.6mpg mostly highway.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
I'm getting 13 city, 20 hwy. I'm in Colorado. Denver area doesn't get that much snow so I can drive it in the winter a bit, but I have a dedicated winter car anyway. If this car is to be your winter car and you get decent snowfall, I would seriously consider an outgoing RS4, or 335xi (nearly the same category of car). Having driven a C55 in the winter with snow was not great, and this car has what feels like twice the torque. You could probably do it with the right tire setup and C mode driving though. I know there are guys on this forum that definitely plan on driving their C63's in the winter!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!

1 - Between 11mpg and 15mpg around town. My spouse actually managed 22mpg on a 260 mile trip from Vegas to SoCal. That was possible at 70-ish average speed. I like to go a little faster so I averaged about 20.5 on the same trip.

3- You won't miss the LSD unless you often power out of turns. In normal street driving you probably won't notice. If you track the car, you might want it. IMO, the biggest hindrance to the car's hooking up is the width of the rear tires, not the diff

5- Tenorite is called Steel Grey in the US and here is mine (Pre clear-lenses!)

Good luck with your search! I chose the C63 over the E90 M3 and am very happy I did. Zero regrets.

Rest of the C63 album/pics are here:

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...sDelbruck/C63/
Old 11-03-2008, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
1 - Between 11mpg and 15mpg around town. My spouse actually managed 22mpg on a 260 mile trip from Vegas to SoCal. That was possible at 70-ish average speed. I like to go a little faster so I averaged about 20.5 on the same trip.

3- You won't miss the LSD unless you often power out of turns. In normal street driving you probably won't notice. If you track the car, you might want it. IMO, the biggest hindrance to the car's hooking up is the width of the rear tires, not the diff

5- Tenorite is called Steel Grey in the US and here is mine (Pre clear-lenses!)

Good luck with your search! I chose the C63 over the E90 M3 and am very happy I did. Zero regrets.

Rest of the C63 album/pics are here:
Great color and regarding #3 I think you are spot on.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Nice color almost looks like that matte grey in the pic
Old 11-03-2008, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Thanks guys! It looks good when it's clean... and it's an easy color to keep clean

Old 11-03-2008, 08:07 PM

E92 335i&X6M
I went to the one in Richmond Automall. I had to put on a disguise so that the Audi guys across the street wouldn't see me walking into the Mercedes dealership.

LOL
lol thats funny
just be sure dont buy from automall, they usually give worst deal in BC whatsoever
Old 11-03-2008, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
Thanks guys! It looks good when it's clean... and it's an easy color to keep clean

My god, that is a nice car! Thanks for the photos!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by blitzpower
lol thats funny
just be sure dont buy from automall, they usually give worst deal in BC whatsoever
Oh, I didn't know that. I guess I'll do more shopping around before making a decision as to where to buy it from.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
So it sounds like I should be expecting around 14/15 miles to the gallon in the city, according to the feedback I'm getting on this thread. I guess I can live with that.

I wonder why Mercedes Benz didn't just provide rear seat warmers. I can't imagine that being a very expensive item, and probably a lot of customers wouldn't mind ticking that box on the options list. Afterall, the legroom isn't half bad back there, and I'm fairly certain I'll be ferrying a few passengers around in the back seats once in a while.

As for the winter driving, that's the one thing that has me a little bit hesitant to take the plunge. But then again, it doesn't really snow much here in the city.

Well, I think I'm pretty clear on the colour selection, and also which option package to choose (yes on the C63 AMG Premium Package, no on the AMG Performance Package). Just gotta make sure I'm okay with the absence of AWD for winter driving.

Hope to join you guys soon as a C63 owner!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:43 PM

2009 C63
So it sounds like I should be expecting around 14/15 miles to the gallon in the city, according to the feedback I'm getting on this thread. I guess I can live with that.

I wonder why Mercedes Benz didn't just provide rear seat warmers. I can't imagine that being a very expensive item, and probably a lot of customers wouldn't mind ticking that box on the options list.

There is not that much room in the rear seat anyways.... if I had a passenger back there I really could care less if he was freezing or had a cold ***!!
Old 11-04-2008, 01:31 AM

AMG C63
Hans what is it with the wives? my wife got 24 mph coming down from 7500 feet in Mammoth to Ridgecrest at 2200 feet!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:08 AM

‘11 SLS, ‘19 GT63 s Edition One
Originally Posted by paulGT3
Hans what is it with the wives? my wife got 24 mph coming down from 7500 feet in Mammoth to Ridgecrest at 2200 feet!
Yeah Hans.... Tell her the gas is on the right!!

I'll take her out and teach her a thing or two

Coming to Cal Speedway??
Old 11-04-2008, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
If you don't take the sport package I would definitely take the LSD. I had one retrofitted to my SL55 and it is one of the best mods I did to my car. More traction, and much less ESP interference. Also in day to day driving.

But that's just me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove the C63 today