Sponsored by:

Dry Carbon Fiber "starless" grille!! W204/63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by FrankW
uh...I don't think you had understand what I said at all when you asked me about how the install goes.

you need to remove the C63 grille completely including the "top" section. drop the k1 grille in and done. you do not need the rubber piece that ONLY the regular 204 has. If you want that piece you can go to the dealer and order one if you feel like adding it.

k1 was bugging me on I gave you the wrong instructions. I don't know how can I make the instruction any more clearer.
I deleted my post after re-reading the other post.... and noticed you beat to it....my bad.... I am still frustrated with K1 not replying to my last email though.... very bad day today...and when I saw that someone received a refund after being denied one ... well let's just say I jumped out of my chair.... no harm intended.... if you delete your post I will delete this one as well...

Last edited by shaker; 02-26-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by shaker
I deleted my post after re-reading the other post.... and notived you beat to it....my bad.... I am still frustretd with K1 not replying to my last email though.... very bad day today...and when I saw that someone received a refund after being denied one ... well let's just say I jumped out of my chair.... no harm intended.... if you delte your post I will delte this one as well...
i think azn_300 mentioned that there was major defect in the grille he received that's why he opted to get it refunded. I think if you follow the instruction I was asked to give you you'll find that installing the grille is surprisingly easy. If then you still have problems with it I'm sure K1 with their good reputation would give you what you are looking for.

the previous post was deleted.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 AM

2009 C63
i think azn_300 mentioned that there was major defect in the grille he received that's why he opted to get it refunded. I think if you follow the instruction I was asked to give you you'll find that installing the grille is surprisingly easy. If then you still have problems with it I'm sure K1 with their good reputation would give you what you are looking for.
Agreed!
BTW... love your promptness to replies.. gotta luv this forum...
on another note... I may give the install a try tomorrow as the weather is going to be in the upper 80's... I wanted to wait for warmer weather as the OEM grille is quite fragile at lower temps...

Last edited by shaker; 02-26-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Very nice! Hopefully if one is made for the W203 it won't be nearly as expensive....keep in mind the economy is bad
Old 02-26-2009, 11:46 AM

08 Evo X PB, 09 C63 OB
Originally Posted by Danny_Boy
What a bummer that grill looked so sexy... wish it woulda had the star in it tho
Would've been great if it had the star in it. But still looks amazing without.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32used
Very nice! Hopefully if one is made for the W203 it won't be nearly as expensive....keep in mind the economy is bad
I don't want to hijack the thread but I really wish this would get set in motion. I wouldn't mind paying the extra IF quality is top notch. These items are not common and being unique is the formula for modding!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
How much force is required to get the CF grille to clip in at the bottom? I'm trying to install it and can't get the tabs to lock in place. I'm putting as much pressure as I ca with my hands behind the grille and on the front bumper. It also looks like the center of the grille is not as close to the bumper as the rest.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:40 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by qship5
How much force is required to get the CF grille to clip in at the bottom? I'm trying to install it and can't get the tabs to lock in place. I'm putting as much pressure as I ca with my hands behind the grille and on the front bumper. It also looks like the center of the grille is not as close to the bumper as the rest.
yea, the grille's based off the regular 204 grille, so it doesn't sit like the 63 one. should be pretty even all the way around.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 PM

2009 C63
yea, the grille's based off the regular 204 grille, so it doesn't sit like the 63 one. should be pretty even all the way around.
So does that mean that the grille indeed does not fit on a C63... and I can now get my money back from K1.... they sold it to me knowing I was buying it for a C63!
They could never ever respond to several inquiries from me, asking if they had "proof" of an install on a C63.
BTW, Qship5 was trying to install the grille that I had purchased.....
K1 still owes me responses to emails I sent to them quite some time ago
Old 04-23-2009, 12:03 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
So does that mean that the grille indeed does not fit on a C63... and I can now get my money back from K1.... they sold it to me knowing I was buying it for a C63!
They could never ever respond to several inquiries from me, asking if they had "proof" of an install on a C63.
BTW, Qship5 was trying to install the grille that I had purchased.....
K1 still owes me responses to emails I sent to them quite some time ago
still don't know what are you talking about. the fitment and all was already explained to you three times twice in this thread by me a customer. The mounting position are all the same, period.

this is how this grille sits

this is how my C63 style grille sits. one designed to go to the edge one's designed to leave a space.

gonna put the 63 style grille on for the summer season btw. other wise I never get to use that grille. lol

Last edited by FrankW; 04-23-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 AM

2009 C63
Per Qship5's post above and his experience with trying to install this on his C63 and FrankW's reply to Qsship5,
the grille DOES NOT FIT ON A C63! PERIOD!!

Last edited by shaker; 04-23-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Per Qship5's post above and his experience with trying to install this on his C63 and FrankW's reply to Qsship5,
the grille DOES NOT FIT ON A C63! PERIOD!!

So you've had this $900 grille for over 4 months and have not been able to install it?

Has *anyone* successfully installed this grille on a C63?
Old 04-23-2009, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
This sounds like the same fitment issue I had with mine. The bottom tabs would not lock in place and the center was off. Hopefully you didn't get the grille I had returned. What was the serial number? I'll see if I can dig up the serial on the one I returned.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
I tried to install the grille Shaker bought and there was no way I could get it to lock in on the tabs at the bottom where the grille meets the bumper.

The stock C63 grill clips in easily and the CF grill will not clip in no matter how much I try to press the grille forward and the bumper cover back! There was a huge gap between the center of the grille and the bumper even when the tabs to the side were in the appropriate opening on the grille. Based on my experience trying to fit this grille on my C63 I can't believe this will fit. I've done tons of work/installs on cars and this piece isn't going to fit on a C63.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
I tried to install the grille Shaker bought and there was no way I could get it to lock in on the tabs at the bottom where the grille meets the bumper.

The stock C63 grill clips in easily and the CF grill will not clip in no matter how much I try to press the grille forward and the bumper cover back! There was a huge gap between the center of the grille and the bumper even when the tabs to the side were in the appropriate opening on the grille. Based on my experience trying to fit this grille on my C63 I can't believe this will fit. I've done tons of work/installs on cars and this piece isn't going to fit on a C63.
Wow. That's brutal, especially considering its price. Since its been over 4 months, do you think they'll still let him return it? If not, he should be able to recoup a significant amount putting for sale in the reg W204 forum or on ebay...

I'd offer to buy it but i'd rather have it in ABS and get it for 1/4 the price.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2009, 01:02 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by Krytech
Wow. That's brutal, especially considering its price. Since its been over 4 months, do you think they'll still let him return it? If not, he should be able to recoup a significant amount putting for sale in the reg W204 forum or on ebay...

I'd offer to buy it but i'd rather have it in ABS and get it for 1/4 the price.

Good luck!
K1 Motorsport would not accept a return (company policy) way back when I already had my doubts about the fitment back in January. They could never ever confirm that the product was ever successfully fitted on a C63...
Since then though I now have proof that it does not fit... and their web site does guarantee fitment... I sent them an email last night, requesting a refund.... before Qship5 installed it it was still in its original packaging including the plastic bag and box it was shipped in. So we will see how they respond. I will keep you posted.

Last edited by shaker; 04-24-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:39 PM

2009 C63
K1 Motorsport would not accept a return (company policy) way back when I already had my doubts about the fitment back in January. They could never ever confirm that the product was ever successfully fitted on a C63...
Since then though I now have proof that it does not fit... and their web site does guarantee fitment... I sent them an email last night, requesting a refund.... before Qship5 installed it it was still in its original packaging including the plastic bag and box it was shipped in. So we will see how they respond. I will keep you posted.
Great news! K1 just sent me an email confirming that they will honor a refund once they receive the grille back in good condition.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:20 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
so all these time you asked about the install instructions, complaints about the fitment, and rants for wanting a refund, etc you never even tried it? until qship did it for you? no wonder K1 didn't take any action.

should've had this fitted long time ago and you would've got your refund long time ago.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:37 PM

2009 C63
so all these time you asked about the install instructions, complaints about the fitment, and rants for wanting a refund, etc you never even tried it? until qship did it for you? no wonder K1 didn't take any action.

should've had this fitted long time ago and you would've got your refund long time ago.
Too bad no one could ever confirm it until now..... you were so sure that it was not an issue and that it would fit a C63... did you forget that part?
Did you ever try to get anyone in the area to try your grille on a C63... since it was only a 10-15 minute swap out, for you, why not see what it looked like on a C63 and provide some pics.... hhhhmmmmm!!
Qship gave it a go because after much debate I was finally going to see how it would look with the Palladfium color... which BTW I am still not convinced would look good... but enough with the insults... the matter is closed.... the grille DOES NOT fit a C63.... PERIOD!! who's not me... did I procrastinate.......... yes.......... but not
Old 04-24-2009, 10:25 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Too bad no one could ever confirm it until now..... you were so sure that it was not an issue and that it would fit a C63... did you forget that part?
Did you ever try to get anyone in the area to try your grille on a C63... since it was only a 10-15 minute swap out, for you, why not see what it looked like on a C63 and provide some pics.... hhhhmmmmm!!
Qship gave it a go because after much debate I was finally going to see how it would look with the Palladfium color... which BTW I am still not convinced would look good... but enough with the insults... the matter is closed.... the grille DOES NOT fit a C63.... PERIOD!! who's not me... did I procrastinate.......... yes.......... but not
I'm still 100% positive that the grille WILL FIT a C63 if that grille doesn't have the front clip not clipping problem unlike mine. I'm willing to bet $100 on it. wanna bet? the grille "does not fit a C63" comment is completely false.

if my friend who has a C63 doesn't live in San Jose I would've done it already.

not my fault if you are incompetent in doing DIY modifications.

Last edited by FrankW; 04-24-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:58 PM

2009 C63
I'm still 100% positive that the grille WILL FIT a C63 if that grille doesn't have the front clip not clipping problem unlike mine. I'm willing to bet $100 on it. wanna bet? the grille "does not fit a C63" comment is completely false.

if my friend who has a C63 doesn't live in San Jose I would've done it already.

not my fault if you are incompetent in doing DIY modifications.
Qship5 is as competent as they come... and he says short of making major changes it does not fit... the grille is NOT an OEM replacement if changes to the fastening area need to be made.....

No harm done.... strange that K1 has not invited a local C63 for a fitment trial... and then provide instructions on the modifications needed if any.... for a proper install..... Qship and I looked at every possible scenario and the grille just does not clip in at all
Not sure why you keep insulting me either... I have lots of DYI experience just not on MB's or for that matter with changes or corrections to body parts and/or stylings....
since you like running up your post count I am sure you will continue to get the last word in.... Having fun yet??
Old 04-25-2009, 12:13 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Qship5 is as competent as they come... and he says short of making major changes it does not fit... the grille is NOT an OEM replacement if changes to the fastening area need to be made.....

No harm done.... strange that K1 has not invited a local C63 for a fitment trial... and then provide instructions on the modifications needed if any.... for a proper install..... Qship and I looked at every possible scenario and the grille just does not clip in at all
Not sure why you keep insulting me either... I have lots of DYI experience just not on MB's or for that matter with changes or corrections to body parts and/or stylings....
since you like running up your post count I am sure you will continue to get the last word in.... Having fun yet??
when did any said this was a "OEM" replacement

no insults here. I just find it annoying that you would claim you are a DIY person yet after numerous attempt at helping you over several months you decide to ignore the help and push this aside to someone else that are more comfortable with taking apart their car. All this while you wanted to return the grille claiming it doesn't fit before even making any attempt at installing it. When you did not attempt to fit the parts, no wonder K1 couldn't let you return the parts since there were no reason for them to believe it was a faulty part.

as Qship said in the thread the front does not want to clip in which can be a manufacturer fault for not trimming the CF enough, but other than that where did you draw up the awesome conclusion "this grille does not fit C63"?

I'm sure K1 will look into this case and make further adjustment of their grille. each one is hand made, so there can be slight variance. I was there watching them testing at least 4 prototype grille before the one on my car is even made. As I stated before the lower part of the grille where it attaches to the bumper are not any different in any W204.

Last edited by FrankW; 04-25-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:05 AM

2009 C63
when did any said this was a "OEM" replacement

no insults here. I just find it annoying that you would claim you are a DIY person yet after numerous attempt at helping you over several months you decide to ignore the help and push this aside to someone else that are more comfortable with taking apart their car. All this while you wanted to return the grille claiming it doesn't fit before even making any attempt at installing it. When you did not attempt to fit the parts, no wonder K1 couldn't let you return the parts since there were no reason for them to believe it was a faulty part.

as Qship said in the thread the front does not want to clip in which can be a manufacturer fault for not trimming the CF enough, but other than that where did you draw up the awesome conclusion "this grille does not fit C63"?

I'm sure K1 will look into this case and make further adjustment of their grille. each one is hand made, so there can be slight variance. I was there watching them testing at least 4 prototype grille before the one on my car is even made. As I stated before the lower part of the grille where it attaches to the bumper are not any different in any W204.

Apprecaite the insights... all K1 would need to do is make a "go-no go" gauge to check each and every part made, just a suggestion.... if it fits then = ship the product (pass), if it does not fit = fail/no ship... a very simple guage would not be expensive even if fabricated from machined hard plastic or even steel... and of course with built in tolerance factors which measures all "critical dimension" areas for confirmed fitment... I think this would be a very simple solution and would avoid 'bad' products ending up in customers' hands...any ways, just a thought.... a customer should expect a product that is made within specifications for $900
Old 04-25-2009, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63

Isnt the 63's engine hood wider than regular C class? I could've sworn I heard/read that somewhere but was never able to back it up :|
Old 04-25-2009, 04:43 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Jae Duk

Isnt the 63's engine hood wider than regular C class? I could've sworn I heard/read that somewhere but was never able to back it up :|
hood's not wider. the fender's wider by half to an inch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dry Carbon Fiber "starless" grille!! W204/63