Sponsored by:

TST Protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
TST Protection

I bought the TST protection from my dealer for the paint, leather seats, and carpeting (about $650). I'm told that if any damage to the paint is done by weather, bird droppings, etc., that this will protect it, or they will pay for the repair. Same with the leather and carpeting.

Few questions for those in the know:

1) Warrenty states that only weather damage is covered by the paint protection, anyone file a claim & got it approved for any other damage (such as bird droppings?)

2) I've read conflicting reports about waxing. Does it hurt to wax over this sealant, and did you find it necessary to apply wax after a period of time?

3) Did you buy this package?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Ape

2004 TL; 2004 S2000; 2009 C63; 2009 ML350
I did not buy the package; I hope to keep the car washed fairly often to keep the harmful stuff from sitting on the paint:
When I picked the car up, the dealer advised that they waxed it for me the night before so I assume that wax is OK to use (I did not ask if it was wax or polish he said "wax")
I would have bought it if it had protected the paint from road rash and chips, only thing that i know does that is clear bra.
I belive the package you are speaking of also protects the interior from stains and even tears in seats.

Last edited by Ape; 11-12-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:09 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Ape
I did not buy the package; I hope to keep the car washed fairly often to keep the harmful stuff from sitting on the paint:
When I picked the car up, the dealer advised that they waxed it for me the night before so I assume that wax is OK to use (I did not ask if it was wax or polish he said "wax")
I would have bought it if it had protected the paint from road rash and chips, only thing that i know does that is clear bra.
I belive the package you are speaking of also protects the interior from stains and even tears in seats.
Yes, protects the interior, including cracks in the leather, or any damage to the leather due to anything other than caused by pets. So my 3.5 year old son jamming a lollypop stick into the leather is covered

And you're right, the paint protection does not cover any road rash, chips, etc., just stuff that falls on the car from nature I believe.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you certain that it covers leather cracking? Double check the veribiage in the policy and also look for anything that talks about depreciation. As you know, leather cracking is a normal occurance from getting in and out of the vehicle.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
You should be aware that they probably just slapped some rebadged turtlewax on the car. Thing is - those plans are mainly sold on the "rebate" principle in that most people do not monetize the payout. In other words, if more than 50% of the people do not demand that someone pay for the repairs, and the repairs cost < 1/2 of the cost of the package, they made $325 on each sale.

Obviously the ratio is much greater in people who do not claim anything so their margin goes up. Couple this with the fact that the plan is probably underwritten by some insurance company on the back-end and the "product" seller is raking it in.

Sorry to say, you've been manhandled by the finance office. If you can return it I suggest you do - and when you go to return it, I bet they will offer it to you for half.

Now on the flip side of the coin - if you have kids and they will trash the interior and you have a very clearly written policy that covers surface replacement - keep it, then it's just an insurance policy. But a protective shield product it is not.

best of luck!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Ape

2004 TL; 2004 S2000; 2009 C63; 2009 ML350
I actually passed on all of the plans other then the tire/wheel plan. I had read enough posts that the AMG rims (not the c63 but other AMG) tend to crack or become misshaped more then I would have thought. I figure the plan was $600 and I believe that I saw that one of the rims on our car is around $700 and the tires are close to $300
Old 11-12-2008, 09:16 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by peet
You should be aware that they probably just slapped some rebadged turtlewax on the car. Thing is - those plans are mainly sold on the "rebate" principle in that most people do not monetize the payout. In other words, if more than 50% of the people do not demand that someone pay for the repairs, and the repairs cost < 1/2 of the cost of the package, they made $325 on each sale.

Obviously the ratio is much greater in people who do not claim anything so their margin goes up. Couple this with the fact that the plan is probably underwritten by some insurance company on the back-end and the "product" seller is raking it in.

Sorry to say, you've been manhandled by the finance office. If you can return it I suggest you do - and when you go to return it, I bet they will offer it to you for half.

Now on the flip side of the coin - if you have kids and they will trash the interior and you have a very clearly written policy that covers surface replacement - keep it, then it's just an insurance policy. But a protective shield product it is not.

best of luck!
Point well taken that the dealer made a nice profit on this. With that said, having 2 kids under 3 is probably worth the $ given the warrenty does read damage from rips, tears, burns, punctures, ink (ballpoint pen only) and lipstick.

As for the paint, I figure if it truly keeps the nice shine, gloss for a few years (though it's covered for 5), I've saved a lot of $ on professional detailing. Further, if the gloss and well being of the paint is diminished, they will reapply. So far, I've been very happy with the quality of the finish.

And for carpeting, I don't know how many times I spilled lattes and such--the warrenty covers water and oil based stains.

I'll comment further in the (hopefully) unlikely event that I will have to file a claim.

Trending Topics

Old 11-12-2008, 09:17 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Ape
I actually passed on all of the plans other then the tire/wheel plan. I had read enough posts that the AMG rims (not the c63 but other AMG) tend to crack or become misshaped more then I would have thought. I figure the plan was $600 and I believe that I saw that one of the rims on our car is around $700 and the tires are close to $300
Hmmm....they were going to charge me a little over $800 for the tire/wheel insurance. On my prior 2008 E90 M3, that same insurance ran only $320 (which to me was a no-brainer at that price).
Old 11-12-2008, 11:14 PM
passcheco

Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Point well taken that the dealer made a nice profit on this. With that said, having 2 kids under 3 is probably worth the $ given the warrenty does read damage from rips, tears, burns, punctures, ink (ballpoint pen only) and lipstick.

As for the paint, I figure if it truly keeps the nice shine, gloss for a few years (though it's covered for 5), I've saved a lot of $ on professional detailing. Further, if the gloss and well being of the paint is diminished, they will reapply. So far, I've been very happy with the quality of the finish.

And for carpeting, I don't know how many times I spilled lattes and such--the warrenty covers water and oil based stains.

I'll comment further in the (hopefully) unlikely event that I will have to file a claim.
The dealer should have given you two bottles (one for the paint and the other for leather0 and YOU reapply every six months.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:32 AM

AMG C63
Gosh that stuff is a waste of money. Usually high end dealers dont offer that because the customers know better. For instance ALOT of my Porsche buddies WANT the car as it comes off the truck-white plastic on the paint plastic over the seats.
you dont even want the dealer to prep it. Thats where your first swirl marks come from.