Sponsored by:

Transmission operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C63
Transmission operation

I as a rocket scientist (I am a scientist and have worked on rockets so put two and two together and you....oh well..... I am wasting time) put it on to myself to learn how the tranny works. I thought it was important, because at times the transmission does exactly what I think its going to do when I want it to do it. I think it would be fantastic if I could make the transmission do what I want it to do WHEN I want it to do it, ALL the time!!!!
I figured out that the tranny in M mode is pretty useless and I dont think fast enough to make it work the way it should.
SO in sport I have found out how to make it work!!! Remove it from Park to Drive and it will upshift and downshift through all the gears. If you down shift to a gear say 3rd into a corner. If you leave it in 3 it will shift down to 1st at the stop. Then as you leave it will shift automatically up to 3 and hold 3 till you up shift. If you down shift to 2 and then pull away from a stop it will shift up to 2 and hold 2 till you upshift.
does that make sense? I think its thats the way it works. I THINK if you down shift to 1 and then leave the stop it will upshift to 2 and hold 2 till you shift to save the motor I think. I havent verified that but I will know tomorrow. I think its a pretty convenient way to work the tranny. I cant find a way to make the tranny work in manual mode that is more fun than the Sport mode

Last edited by paulGT3; 11-16-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:15 AM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Originally Posted by paulGT3
I as a rocket scientist (I am a scientist and have worked on rockets so put two and two together and you....oh well..... I am wasting time) put it on to myself to learn how the tranny works. I thought it was important, because at times the transmission does exactly what I think its going to do when I want it to do it. I think it would be fantastic if I could make the transmission do what I want it to do WHEN I want it to do it, ALL the time!!!!
I figured out that the tranny in M mode is pretty useless and I dont think fast enough to make it work the way it should.
SO in sport I have found out how to make it work!!! Remove it from Park to Drive and it will upshift and downshift through all the gears. If you down shift to a gear say 3rd into a corner. If you leave it in 3 it will shift down to 1st at the stop. Then as you leave it will shift automatically up to 3 and hold 3 till you up shift. If you down shift to 2 and then pull away from a stop it will shift up to 2 and hold 2 till you upshift.
does that make sense? I think its thats the way it works. I THINK if you down shift to 1 and then leave the stop it will upshift to 2 and hold 2 till you shift to save the motor I think. I havent verified that but I will know tomorrow. I think its a pretty convenient way to work the tranny. I cant find a way to make the tranny work in manual mode that is more fun than the Sport mode
Might I suggest taking a rest or perhaps enjoying a good night sleep? You sound really aggravated..
Old 11-16-2008, 05:44 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
I thought manual did that as well...

Originally Posted by paulGT3
I thought it would shift down automatically in manual mode as well as sport mode, to prevent the engine stalling??? e.g. 6th gear at 5 mph.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:22 AM

2008 C63
Originally Posted by GMW
I thought it would shift down automatically in manual mode as well as sport mode, to prevent the engine stalling??? e.g. 6th gear at 5 mph.

it will. Neve3r tried it form 5th but from 2-3 down to one it will.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe' '99' Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8 DD
Originally Posted by GMW
The car will not shift up or down in manual mode untill you shift it .
Old 11-16-2008, 02:56 PM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Originally Posted by dremorg
The car will not shift up or down in manual mode untill you shift it .
When you are in Manual mode and lets say you are in 4th or 5th Gear and the head on traffic makes you slow down really rapidly, the car will automatically shift down without making much noise or lag.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Hey Paul... this is actually in the owner's manual. When you pull the paddle in an automatic mode, the car goes into say "D5" if you pulled the paddle to downshift to 5th, or "D4" if you downshifted to 4th. It just means you're still in an auto mode, but the car won't shift beyond that particular gear (3rd if in you're in D3, and so on..) You can see which "D" you're in, in the gauges.

I use my right foot as the gear selector. Go past kickdown, get max gears and power. 3/4 throttle, it will usually downshift 3 gears. Half throttle, it will usually downshift 2 gears, light throttle, it will downshift one gear. This seems to be the most efficient for me

Trending Topics

Old 11-16-2008, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
I want to experience kickdown Still in my break in period.