Best post ever.
+1.

<enter sarcasim> Love the exhuast <end/>
Old 11-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 747 Likes on 728 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
IS-F handled better than i expected...
there are many ppl who prefer GS over E-Class if u compare MSRP and Included Options...
everyone has their own taste...
i'd personally go C63 > RS4 > M3 > IS-F
Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Velvet Fleetwood
Originally Posted by scarbrtj
Yes, 8speed, what have your comments been re: the "fake" IS-F quad exhaust...

damn, that's terrible. talk about cutting corners
Old 11-25-2008, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by vb26
damn, that's terrible. talk about cutting corners
I think there's a somewhat legitimate reason for doing that, which is to keep the exhaust system isolated from the chassis. If the tips were connected to the body like that they would need to rigidly connect the rest of the exhaust to the car to keep the tips from breaking off the car. In most cars the exhaust hangs off rubber grommets to reduce vibration and rattles.

I'm not a technician or anything so I could be way off base. I'm sure someone will pop in to correct me.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:46 PM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Originally Posted by scarbrtj
Yes, 8speed, what have your comments been re: the "fake" IS-F quad exhaust...

Hahahahahahaha wow! That for sure proves the engineers really didn't calculate the size of chassis properly.. they came short!
Old 11-25-2008, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
actually they did that so that the exhaust wouldn't burn onto it....that's why there's air gap in between...but they shuold've come up with a better idea so it wouldn't burn it instead of leaving a gap like that in between
Old 11-25-2008, 03:33 PM

C63 Sooon
^^thats not the reason, its like that cause it acts as a diffuser at high speeds
Old 11-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darkearth
^^thats not the reason, its like that cause it acts as a diffuser at high speeds
Bravo, somoeone in here actually speaks high performance

The cutout past the muffler allows air to flow under the car and through the exhuast tips. If you had a "real" exhaust running attached from the muffler through the diffuser, air could not travel through the diffuser holes thus procluding downforce at high speeds. As you C63 owners know, the IS-F is governed to a top speed of 172 mph where your car and the M3 putter out at 155 mph. And this is hardly a new approach for high end performance cars.....see below:

Last edited by 8speeed; 11-25-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedMongoosE
as far as the Fake Tips go, i take it you guys have not looked at a Gallardo, or even Lorinser kits on a lot of Mercedes. the tips are glued to the bumper.

Id take a 63 over the M3 or ISf, but for the price of a C63 new, i would take a used CL65!!
Nice, thanks for being just the second person in a 30+ post thread to understand wind dynamics and automotive physics. And yes to the chagrin of many, the Mercedes Benz has implemented this technology as well

Last edited by 8speeed; 11-25-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:56 PM

08 e90 m3/09 c63/ 06 cls55 /
I thought I was a bad troll, but your whole statement about the electronically limited top speed really showcased your intentions. In the interests of wasting time I'll engage in your little foray.

Granted I'm not much of a fan of the intelligence levels of a few of the posters on mbworld, but to come in claiming that "someone who speaks high performance" with regards to disconnected exhaust tips, then in the same breath use the disconnected exhausts in some deluded argument as to why the electronically limited m3 and c63 hit speeds of 155 showcases how dense you are.

That being said, my issue with the exhaust setup wasn't with the fact that they're disconnected, but that it's so blatantly obvious, and done in a manner which in my subjective opinion does not appeal to my aesthetic tastes. Obviously there are scores of cars with faux connected/disconnected exhaust tips but the manner in which they're done is far more subtle and they do not tout it as a performance feature when confronted with criticism on the subject. Whereas on the IS-F to have a 'unique' design element such as the stacked exhausts and to have the system disconnected, especially obvious when viewed from the rear just screams tackiness to me.

But yes, obviously disconnected exhaust systems clearly provide all the necessary downforce to allow the IS-F to hit the vaunted 172mph mark that clearly neither of its german rivals can attain. Nevermind using rear diffusers or underbody aerodynamics, ferrari should've known adding that gap between the exhausts is obviously superior to any other aerodynamic treatment, with it perhaps they will be able to reach 500mph on their f1 cars.

Additionally, regarding your knock on the 19'' wheels not being standard in the c63: In my personal opinion 19'' wheels is the furthest I'd go with regards to performance applications. Any more than that and it becomes purely for appearance and I tend to like my cars more on the sporty side. In addition, the 18'' standard wheels,for myself , have a cohesive design that I feel not only fits with the car but is one of the few wheel designs on the market that give me a hard time when finding a suitable aftermarket replacement.

Of course my views on the wheels is my own personal preference which brings me to the point of personal opinions. Thinking about your situation logically, you are obviously on a message board which is focused primarily on the Mercedes c63. Now I understand enthusiasts always like visiting other forums to gather information about the competition or cars they just like, but clearly, people who have already bought the c63 had their reasons as to why they purchased it over the IS-F or M3, and no amount of lip service to your personal choice will be likely to change their opinions. Stirring up arguments by bashing the competition and frankly, questionable technical statements regarding the IS-F's superior aerodynamic prowess is tantamount to trolling.

Before you say, that I am equivocally miming your behavior, I admit I do troll to kill time, but the difference is I don't go around to other car forums and tout my car as the fastest and greatest thing and talk about disconnected exhausts as if its some feature which should be touted as technically superior. Before you know it people will be saying how the synthesized sounds in electric cars provides vastly superior performance tuning because engineers no longer have to take into account mechanical acoustics.

Last edited by impr; 11-25-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by impr
I thought I was a bad troll, but your whole statement about the electronically limited top speed really showcased your intentions. In the interests of wasting time I'll engage in your little foray.

Granted I'm not much of a fan of the intelligence levels of a few of the posters on mbworld, but to come in claiming that "someone who speaks high performance" with regards to disconnected exhaust tips, then in the same breath use the disconnected exhausts in some deluded argument as to why the electronically limited m3 and c63 hit speeds of 155 showcases how dense you are.

That being said, my issue with the exhaust setup wasn't with the fact that they're disconnected, but that it's so blatantly obvious, and done in a manner which in my subjective opinion does not appeal to my aesthetic tastes. Obviously there are scores of cars with faux connected/disconnected exhaust tips but the manner in which they're done is far more subtle and they do not tout it as a performance feature when confronted with criticism on the subject. Whereas on the IS-F to have a 'unique' design element such as the stacked exhausts and to have the system disconnected, especially obvious when viewed from the rear just screams tackiness to me.

But yes, obviously disconnected exhaust systems clearly provide all the necessary downforce to allow the IS-F to hit the vaunted 172mph mark that clearly neither of its german rivals can attain. Nevermind using rear diffusers or underbody aerodynamics, ferrari should've known adding that gap between the exhausts is obviously superior to any other aerodynamic treatment, with it perhaps they will be able to reach 500mph on their f1 cars.

Additionally, your knock on the 19'' wheels not being standard, in my personal opinion 19'' wheels is the furthest i'd go in regards to performance applications, any more than that and it becomes purely for appearance and I tend to like my cars more on the sporty side. In addition, the 18'' standard wheels for myself have a cohesive design that not only fits with the car but is one of the few wheel designs on the market that give me a hard time when finding a suitable aftermarket replacement.

Of course my views on the wheels is my personal preference which brings me to the point of personal opinions. Thinking about your situation logically, you are obviously on a message board which is focused primarily on the mercedes c63. Now I understand enthusiasts always like visiting other forums to gather information about the competition or cars they just like, but clearly, people who have already bought the c63 had their reasons as to why they purchased it over the IS-F or M3, and no amount of lip service to your personal choice will be likely to change their opinions. Stirring up arguments by bashing the competition and frankly, questionable technical statements regarding the IS-F's superior aerodynamic prowess is tantamount to trolling.

Before you say, that I am equivocally miming your behavior, I admit I do troll to kill time, but the difference is I don't go around to other car forums and tout my car as the fastest and greatest thing and talk about disconnected exhausts as if its some feature which should be touted as technically superior. Before you know it people will be saying how the synthesized sounds in electric cars provides vastly superior performance tuning because engineers no longer have to take into account mechanical acoustics.
Reading through all that, it becomes tempting to generalize and think that IS-F drivers are, by and large, in denial and suffering from acute bouts of envy. However, I'm sure those traits are only applicable to some of them.

Great post, by the way.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:33 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter

Additionally, your knock on the 19'' wheels not being standard, in my personal opinion 19'' wheels is the furthest i'd go in regards to performance applications, any more than that and it becomes purely for appearance and I tend to like my cars more on the sporty side. In addition, the 18'' standard wheels for myself have a cohesive design that I feel not only fits with the car but is one of the few wheel designs on the market that give me a hard time when finding a suitable aftermarket replacement.

Of course my views on the wheels is my personal preference which brings me to the point of personal opinions. Thinking about your situation logically, you are obviously on a message board which is focused primarily on the mercedes c63. Now I understand enthusiasts always like visiting other forums to gather information about the competition or cars they just like, but clearly, people who have already bought the c63 had their reasons as to why they purchased it over the IS-F or M3, and no amount of lip service to your personal choice will be likely to change their opinions. Stirring up arguments by bashing the competition and frankly, questionable technical statements regarding the IS-F's superior aerodynamic prowess is tantamount to trolling.

the IS-F 19" are actually one-piece forged wheel that probably weights the same if not lighter than the C63's 18" cast wheel.

it's funny how you guys get so worked up when he posted up his IS-F pics. granted it has a funny title for the thread.

and to tell you the truth, I'm more impressed by what the IS-F can do than the M3 and the C63. M3 will always be M3 with it's expected performance. C63 is AMG and AMG will always be a brute even when MB really made the w204 probably the best "driver's" chassi ever to date, but thanks to it's 4000lb porker weight it is still a brute. The IS-F IMO is impressive because it is right in the middle in weight and on par with it's performance. Toyota has made everything right with this car/chassi to making it a true competitor. I think a lot of you needs to get past the "it's a Toyota" thing.

Last edited by FrankW; 11-25-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by FrankW
the IS-F 19" are actually one-piece forged wheel that probably weights the same if not lighter than the C63's 18" cast wheel.

it's funny how you guys get so worked up when he posted up his IS-F pics. granted it has a funny title for the thread.

Sigh... see that first sentence of the second paragraph I wrote, then read this for more clarification: Well I guess it was my fault for not directly making myself more clear, when I was talking about the 18'' wheels I was talking about the c63's stock 18'' wheels, not the IS-F. When i said regarding your knock, I was talking about 8speed's comment about the c63 coming with stock 18'' wheels for a 70k car.

And in regards to getting worked up about him posting pictures of a stock IS-F, surprisingly here in Vancouver I have seen them, its not like every moment I begin frothing at the mouth mad with rage when I see one, but it is rather disturbing to think that there's someone out there who "might" actually believe the topspeed of his car is attributed to the vast "aerodynamic advantage" of detached exhaust systems. I'll admit yeah it probably does help a bit with aerodynamics, but I'm pretty sure a rear underbody diffuser say for example the one on the ferrari f430 accomplishes much more.

On that, I have to ask FrankW where in my post did I exactly get all worked up? I never knew presenting my opinion on a subject in sentence form was regarded as getting upset.

Last edited by impr; 11-25-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:51 PM

somethings better left unsaid ...
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Huh? Who hates the IS-F? It's the fastest version of a Corolla you can get. I think it's pretty cool.
hehehe ... good one

I think it's good looking and I don't know one single thing that's wrong with this car and I don't hate Toyotas ... I hate Lexuses though. thier attempt to feel German doesn't make you like them but more like hate the Germans.

Great car sir. Good luck with it
Old 11-25-2008, 06:57 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Sigh... see that first sentence of the second paragraph I wrote, then read this for more clarification: Well I guess it was my fault for not directly making myself more clear, when I was talking about the 18'' wheels I was talking about the c63's stock 18'' wheels, not the IS-F. When i said regarding your knock, I was talking about 8speed's comment about the c63 coming with stock 18'' wheels for a 70k car.

And in regards to getting worked up about him posting pictures of a stock IS-F, surprisingly here in Vancouver I have seen them, its not like every moment I begin frothing at the mouth mad with rage when I see one, but it is rather disturbing to think that there's someone out there who "might" actually believe the topspeed of his car is attributed to the vast "aerodynamic advantage" of detached exhaust systems. I'll admit yeah it probably does help a bit with aerodynamics, but I'm pretty sure a rear underbody diffuser say for example the one on the ferrari f430 accomplishes much more.

On that, I have to ask FrankW where in my post did I exactly get all worked up? I never knew presenting my opinion on a subject in sentence form was regarded as getting upset.
yes, I knew you were talking about your preference on 18" for the C63. I was simply pointing out not all 19" will suffer performance loss. BUT when you compare forged 18 vs forged 19 I would pick the 18" as I have for my C32.

by "worked up" I wasn't saying that you were getting upset, but the fact you bothered to play his game feeding the troll making a small argument over different personal preference important enough for others to read rather than enjoy the pics.

And from reading this thread I don't think he had mentioned anything about C63 having 18" for standard wheels btw in this thread. If that statement was from another thread he is involved with then keep it in that other thread. By following the troll around does make you sound like you are upset or rather he got to you mentally in some way.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned

Well said, but my intention isn't to provoke nor incite anything other than friendly diologue between car owners. And according to C63 owners there is no competition between my "toyota corolla" and your beloved AMG so you have little if anything to worry about. In response to your accusation of my impetus behind bashing your friends OEM 18 inch rollers is nothing other than malicious....you can see my response below is clearly innocuous to say the least and not intended to disrespect anyone.

"Good point, less mass for that massive engine to move! "

It's a shame that 90% of the responses in here are muddled in conjecture. See below for some of MBworlds finest:

"IS-F....Does the F stand for Fake quad exhaust, cuz the top 2 don't function?"

"8speed must be a frustrated M3 guy who couldnt get it done with a M3 so he sold out and bought a Lexus IS 250. Thats Lexus' fastest car right? My grandma has one. And I am 50."

"My wifes 335 is faster than the IS
Does your dad know your on his computer?"

"The other guys have stepped up to the AMG for their performance cars and made a great choice. Any of us could have bought a M3 (one did and traded it in ASAP) or a Lexus, they just dont measure up. And neither do you."

"the other guy in the tuned lexus is-f ran a 12.4xx.
and no your lexus will not beat a m3 on track or straight line."- my personal favorite given the fact that there is no tune available yet for the IS-F and the IS-F is running 12.3's 1/4 mile and the M3 is nowhere near that!

"being 16 is tough..."-This was a nice attempt, but I think he was referring to himself!

"Lexus/TRD are only reminding us why their F models are nothing but cannon fodder for the German manufacturers of AMG/M/RS cars."- sound familiar?

I don't know what is worse, the fact that you have the audacity to lecture me about protocal and harboring pernicious intentions towards Mercedes Benz owners, or the day to day posters who habitate in this cave of rhetoric and hyperbole!

Again, I'm here to compare and contrast stories about our cars for which I hope we are both equally happy with. I can appreciate your honesty and candor and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Last edited by 8speeed; 11-25-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by 8speeed
Well said, but my intention isn't to provoke nor incite anything other than friendly diologue between car owners. And according to C63 owners there is no competition between my "toyota corolla" and your beloved AMG so you have little if anything to worry about. In response to your accusation of my impetus behind bashing your friends OEM 18 inch rollers is nothing other than malicious....you can see my response below is clearly innocuous to say the least and not intended to disrespect anyone.

"Good point, less mass for that massive engine to move! "

It's a shame that 90% of the responses in here are muddled in conjecture. See below for some of MBworlds finest:

"IS-F....Does the F stand for Fake quad exhaust, cuz the top 2 don't function?"

"8speed must be a frustrated M3 guy who couldnt get it done with a M3 so he sold out and bought a Lexus IS 250. Thats Lexus' fastest car right? My grandma has one. And I am 50."

"My wifes 335 is faster than the IS
Does your dad know your on his computer?"

"The other guys have stepped up to the AMG for their performance cars and made a great choice. Any of us could have bought a M3 (one did and traded it in ASAP) or a Lexus, they just dont measure up. And neither do you."

"the other guy in the tuned lexus is-f ran a 12.4xx.
and no your lexus will not beat a m3 on track or straight line."- my personal favorite given the fact that there is no tune available yet for the IS-F and the IS-F is running 12.3's 1/4 mile and the M3 is nowhere near that!

"being 16 is tough..."-This was a nice attempt, but I think he was referring to himself!

"Lexus/TRD are only reminding us why their F models are nothing but cannon fodder for the German manufacturers of AMG/M/RS cars."- sound familiar?

I don't know what is worse, the fact that you have the audacity to lecture me about protocal and harboring pernicious intentions towards Mercedes Benz owners, or the day to day posters who habitate in this cave of rhetoric and hyperbole!

Again, I'm here to compare and contrast stories about our cars for which I hope we are both equally happy with. I can appreciate your honesty and candor and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.
You reap what you sow.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

Yep, by simply posting pictures of my car. What a shame!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Almost a Member!

AMG sedans and an M 2+2 car
Originally Posted by 8speeed
Yep, by simply posting pictures of my car. What a shame!
I've been lurking here for quite awhile and I must say you are the most die-hard fanboy I've ever seen. Why do you have to come onto forums of other car makes to post and brag about your car?

Edit: If you must compare, my
WRX STI will trash your lexus on the drag and on the track
E55K AMG will trash you on the drag and with more badge
M3 CSL on the track
Lamborghini LP560-4: everywhere

Then again, I must say that in terms of performance, the WRX STI is indeed the best car I have; so you don't have to be embarrassed (it's tuned rather wild I'll admit)

Last edited by maffie; 11-25-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
It's cute when they change tactics and start playing the martyr.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 PM

Is @ Home

Silly girl, thats not how you look at the engine.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 PM

FrankW:

First you say you weren't saying that you weren't accusing me of getting upset, but by the end of your post you state that you believe the following:

"And from reading this thread I don't think he had mentioned anything about C63 having 18" for standard wheels btw in this thread. If that statement was from another thread he is involved with then keep it in that other thread. By following the troll around does make you sound like you are upset or rather he got to you mentally in some way."

I would hardly call reading threads in the c63 forum following a troll around, seeing as how 8speed has made probably two threads in the c63 forum by that statement yes I am following him around as I've read all two of his threads. I was more baffled that someone might actually believe that the 'superior' top speed of their car is attributed to the aerodynamics provided by a rear exhaust setup.

8speed:
Firstly, a knock (regarding the whole 18'' wheel statement) whether in jest or not is still a knock, and all I did was present my opinion on the matter. I never knew my opinions regarding the wheels is something malicious, or that content regarding the c63 was restricted to only the one thread in the c63 forums. It is merely my delayed response to a statement you made.

Its at this point where I have to take a page from my old 'friend' improviz regarding strawman arguments. At no point did I claim I support any of those inflammatory statements posted below, if anything, from searching my post history you would see that I hold a majority of the posters on MBworld with little regard, unless they showcase some level of intelligence. Furthermore, I fail to see what those posts have to do with the primary issue I raised in my post. Amazingly, I am aware that there are scores of mentally deficient individuals in this world, but I've have also realized that there is little one can do to convince people otherwise.

From reading my post, if you noted I stated that no amount of conjecture valid or invalid will convince those who have made up their mind about various cars on the market today. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to provide my coles notes point: no amount of praise (true and untrue) on the IS-F will convince those who adore certain cars with an almost fanatical level, and as such it'd be best to simply lurk and filter out the idiotic comments like most intelligent posters have opted to do on these forums.

You claim that I have the 'audacity'

"to lecture (you) about protocal and harboring pernicious intentions towards Mercedes Benz owners, or the day to day posters who habitate in this cave of rhetoric and hyperbole!"

when in the same breath you summarily lump me in with the mouth breathing ilk that lurk these forums. I have no qualms with the IS-F and it is an admirable car, however, I decided to spend my money elsewhere and that was my own choice, which I do not expect others to undertake unless they wish to do so with their own free will.

Proclaiming that "I shouldn't be worried" about the IS-F being competition to the c63 is a strawman argument as well. Further still, my primary issue which raised a flag in my mind was your hopefully statement in jest regarding the top speed capabilities of the is-f being related to the rear exhaust aerodynamics. If this statement was not in jest then I would suggest you further read up on the simple subject of electronic speed limiters.

If I understand your argument, you've decided to lower yourself to the level of said cave dwelling cretins by creating equally questionable statements?

Last edited by impr; 11-25-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
This is my favorite comparison video for these three cars. It's very interesting.

http://www.carzi.com/2008/10/28/bmw-...us-is-f-video/

Sorry if it's been posted previously.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
Originally Posted by Tangerine

Silly girl, thats not how you look at the engine.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maffie
I've been lurking here for quite awhile and I must say you are the most die-hard fanboy I've ever seen. Why do you have to come onto forums of other car makes to post and brag about your car?

Edit: If you must compare, my
WRX STI will trash your lexus on the drag and on the track
E55K AMG will trash you on the drag and with more badge
M3 CSL on the track
Lamborghini LP560-4: everywhere

Then again, I must say that in terms of performance, the WRX STI is indeed the best car I have; so you don't have to be embarrassed (it's tuned rather wild I'll admit)

I have to agree about the STI. As luck would have it, I happen to own an 05 ECUTEK tuned STI upgraded by gospeed/crawford in southern california that puts down over 400 hp to the wheels.

Not embarrassed one bit.......but thanks for asking!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: the IS-F you hate pics