Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:41 PM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by docmfg
Ok. But how about MBUSA. Let's say there is an engine or transmission failure. They would likely send out a rep to see the car. Do you think they could possibly see the change in code? Could there possibly be some hidden code that sends off a red flag if any thing is changed or tamnpered with? Sorry for the paranoia. And btw, great work!
First, thanks!

Yes, MBUSA has the hardware to see said changes. If you're really that worried just pick up a spare ECU to swap to "just in case". Again though, we've never lost a motor, and don't plan on it anytime soon.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 PM

C63, BMW E46 M3
Originally Posted by MHP
First, thanks!

Yes, MBUSA has the hardware to see said changes. If you're really that worried just pick up a spare ECU to swap to "just in case". Again though, we've never lost a motor, and don't plan on it anytime soon.
Do you sell ECU's. How do I pick one up from a dealer without setting of a red flag? Thanks.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by MHP
I guess you haven't been following the objective dynos of their newer 63 tuning.

We don't get you "slightly beyond" what the ML/S class 63s make, unless you consider an extra 20rw+ from a N/A motor with 2.5" exhaust vs 2.75" in all other variants to be rather insignificant.

$4k in the C63 market buys you a Renntech ECU only, or Renntech headers only, or a brand X tune and CF airboxes--good luck making 400rw+. Basically, for $4500 (v2 ECU/TCU or actually $3990 right now during our GP) you will not go any quicker/faster or make more HP/TQ safely.

To realize the value you're getting you simply have to drive one of our tuned cars.

All tuners have their issues. I seem to remember a post concerning an MHP tune not getting written to the ECU properly.

Fact is that for the price of an MHP tune you can get a PC tune plus VRP headers. You will get somewhere close to 525BHP which translates to somewhere around 435RWHP considering 18% drivetrain loss.

Not knocking your tune...just maybe making you aware of the disparity of pricing between your tune and others. I know you get more of a tune with MHP...but where does the price start to find diminishing returns? And compared to the pricing you have for the LX crowd, it really seems like MB owners are getting a major increase which we have all experienced before but that no one really enjoys.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:05 PM

AMG C63 S
After 3 days with the MHP tune, I am a satisfied customer. The tune is 100% worth it. I justified $4500 because I got a $3995 refund from MBUSA for the botched performance package (still got my LSD). Ha! Now I have a real "performance package"!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by scarbrtj
After 3 days with the MHP tune, I am a satisfied customer. The tune is 100% worth it. I justified $4500 because I got a $3995 refund from MBUSA for the botched performance package (still got my LSD). Ha! Now I have a real "performance package"!
I'm sure it is a whole 'nother animal now. Congrats.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Originally Posted by reelgr
I am planning on ordering a c63 soon. And after reading some users post about problems with CEL and other misc issues after they flashed, I'm thinking it might be best to leave it stock for a guy like me.

I go to the track maybe a couple times a year, but with the c63 I'm sure a little bit more, but not much.

The 500+ hp would be a nice mod and maybe worth the hassle, but just curious if many of you decided not to mod...

To answer your original question, yes -- I have not done an ECU mod and am not planning to - YET. First, I get enough wheelspin off the line with stock HP. IMO I want wider stickier tires, then I'll see how they handle the power under stoplight-type acceleration.

I think where the car can benefit most from an ECU tune is under freeway acceleration. Which brings me to my other reason I've held off -- I've yet to encounter a situation where I didn't FLY away from other traffic by flooring it at 60+mph. The car is pretty quick as-is and is getting faster with the cooler weather and as it's broken in more.

What would push me over to getting an ECU tune is, frankly, getting spanked by a car I wouldn't expect to be faster. I'm not sure if I'd react by getting the ECU though. (I might just do an attitude re-adjustment) For now, my C63 is still an angel and has never let me down or embarrassed me.

so -- I'm waiting to see how the different tunes work out. The tuners are doing some great work, and I am definitely tempted. I suppose the benefit would be in having EVEN MORE confidence in the car's abilities. (Translation = you might not use the 518hp, but it's nice to know you have it - does that mean it's for bragging rights then? ) I want to see if there are any issues with the dealers over time, because I really don't like visiting the dealer service department at all, if possible.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
What would push me over to getting an ECU tune is, frankly, getting spanked by a car I wouldn't expect to be faster. I'm not sure if I'd react by getting the ECU though. (I might just do an attitude re-adjustment) For now, my C63 is still an angel and has never let me down or embarrassed me.
Then have you seen the MHP video of V1 vs stock C63?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:02 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by docmfg
Do you sell ECU's. How do I pick one up from a dealer without setting of a red flag? Thanks.
There was a new memorandum released recently (I posted about it in the 211 Forum) basically stating the only person that can buy a new ECU/TCU for their vehicles is the owner. Requiring a license/title match verified by the dealer and it must be VIN synched on premise. They claim it's to reduce theft
Your car won't be flagged if you buy a spare stock ECU, it is a OEM MB piece afterall.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Timeless
All tuners have their issues. I seem to remember a post concerning an MHP tune not getting written to the ECU properly.
We had issues with Marko's AMG TT V12 TCU and are continuing to refine the cal. It's by far the most complex TCU cal requested to date. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it, and who else does TCUs? Exactly...
We've had zero isssues with 63 ECU/TCUs period.
If you're referring to Fr33kn63s ECU, yes our ECU tune didn't take, because the tuner that previously flashed it corrupted the ROM file which caused the ECU to revert to the last flashed cal. Upon finding out the problem we purchased him a new ECU on our dime due to the extra downtime he incurred. Were we obligated to do so? Absolutely not, but we felt it the right thing to do...And just to be clear, if it was us that incorrectly flashed and corrupted that ECU it would've been our file it reverted to, so that is not even a remote possibility.

Fact is that for the price of an MHP tune you can get a PC tune plus VRP headers. You will get somewhere close to 525BHP which translates to somewhere around 435RWHP considering 18% drivetrain loss.
You don't get it. Buy a PC tune and see if you crack 400rw on an independant dyno then come talk to me. BTW, those shortys, they aren't worth more than 5rw, you can bet the farm on it.
We've made a legit 435rw 1:1 SAE with just v2 ECU/TCU tuning and filters, I believe someone else on this forum has a PC tune, shortys, 530 package, etc and a claimed output of 448rw. I'd love to see it on an independant dyno and/or race it with my car as it sits.

Not knocking your tune...just maybe making you aware of the disparity of pricing between your tune and others. I know you get more of a tune with MHP...but where does the price start to find diminishing returns? And compared to the pricing you have for the LX crowd, it really seems like MB owners are getting a major increase which we have all experienced before but that no one really enjoys.
LX crowd? LOL, we use Diablo software to tune Chryco's, comparing that to a MB/AMG or Euro custom tune is like calling an apple an orange.
I seem to remember us having similar conversations reg. pricing in the past, apparently you just don't get it. Our tuning is 100% custom, we do not use someone else's software to attempt to change cals, we do not pry chips off boards, flash with a generic canned file, then resolder.
If you want one of those tunes and are happy with the results, more power to you, if you want the absolute best in power/tq and overall refinement without sacrificing durabilty/longevity well, it would seem most know where to go at this point.
As for diminishing returns, being that you've never driven a TCU modified (or anything tuned by us period) vehicle, who are you to question the pricing? Our rates are a relative bargain compared to the premium tuners in this market, and that's a fact. There are $10k ECU tunes out there for C63s that don't produce what we do (no TCU at all) for less than half the cash.

If there's anything else you'd like me to clear up for you once and for all please let me know and we'll get it over with asap.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by MHP; 12-02-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:18 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
To answer your original question, yes -- I have not done an ECU mod and am not planning to - YET. First, I get enough wheelspin off the line with stock HP. IMO I want wider stickier tires, then I'll see how they handle the power under stoplight-type acceleration.

I think where the car can benefit most from an ECU tune is under freeway acceleration. Which brings me to my other reason I've held off -- I've yet to encounter a situation where I didn't FLY away from other traffic by flooring it at 60+mph. The car is pretty quick as-is and is getting faster with the cooler weather and as it's broken in more.

so -- I'm waiting to see how the different tunes work out. The tuners are doing some great work, and I am definitely tempted. I suppose the benefit would be in having EVEN MORE confidence in the car's abilities. (Translation = you might not use the 518hp, but it's nice to know you have it - does that mean it's for bragging rights then? ) I want to see if there are any issues with the dealers over time, because I really don't like visiting the dealer service department at all, if possible.
Hans,
I couldn't agree more. When I was on the phone with Eric Linder @ AMG regarding the missing components of my P30 package (which they got me asap btw) he asked what I thought of the car. I told him that aside from the fact it desperately needs ECU/TCU tuning (we both laughed) the one thing that really bothered me was the fact that the car needs more tire, even stock. He acknowledged fwiw.
As for CELs and durability issues, any tuner with their salt has the correct check sum software in place to avoid CEL/MILs. That's pretty basic stuff as far as we're concerned.
I drove the car around with stock ECU/TCU for 1500 of the 6000 miles now on it (between tunes, to retest, etc.) and for the life of me I'd rather trade in than swap back to stock at this point. I really think that at some point you just get used to the power (my previous cars were quite a bit quicker/faster so that didn't help) regardless of how much you have.

Trust me, at some point you're going to run into a Gallardo, and after you're done racing you're going to want a tune. BTW, we get you to ~530hp with 17.5% DT loss with v2 ECU/TCU Tuning/filters.

Last edited by MHP; 12-02-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by MHP
LX crowd? LOL, we use Diablo software to tune Chryco's, comparing that to a MB/AMG or Euro custom tune is like calling an apple an orange.

If there's anything else you'd like me to clear up for you once and for all please let me know and we'll get it over with asap.

Thanks
Andy
I was speaking towards the TCU tune pricing for the LX crowd. I know all about the Diablo Predator as I owned an '05 300C also.

$299.00 for an ECU tune versus the $2k we have to pay.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:04 AM

'12 CTS-V
Andy, I'm seriously considering your ECU/TCU reflash, but have a couple questions which I don't believe have been asked yet (apologies if they have).

Is the MHP warranty transferable to a second-hand buyer? And can the MHP ECU be swapped into another identically modded C63 and work the same?

Reason I ask is b/c I likely won't keep this car beyond 3-4 yrs, but (as with other major "hardware" mods) I would like to be able to get some value back for the ECU/TCU tune when I sell. That would obviously be a LOT easier if I can (a) tell the buyer that MHP will continue to warranty and provide customer service for the ECU/TCU; and/or (2) swap ECUs with a stock C63 owner w/out issue. Otherwise, it's $4500 that I may never see again...

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:26 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Timeless
I was speaking towards the TCU tune pricing for the LX crowd. I know all about the Diablo Predator as I owned an '05 300C also.

$299.00 for an ECU tune versus the $2k we have to pay.
Time time time. Stage II flashes for SRT8s are $1200-2000 depending on how complex you want them. Why are the base flashes $1200 vs $2500 for MB/AMGs? MB processors are simply far more complex offering a variety of driving modes (S/C/M) and shifting algorithms, and again, the coding combinations are exponential by comparison to domestic stuff.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:31 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by blownS
Andy, I'm seriously considering your ECU/TCU reflash, but have a couple questions which I don't believe have been asked yet (apologies if they have).
NP! I don't care if I repeat myself, as long as it's not in a disagreement LOL.

Is the MHP warranty transferable to a second-hand buyer? And can the MHP ECU be swapped into another identically modded C63 and work the same?
Yes, it's transferable. No it cannot be swapped due to the fact that all ECUs (therefore TCUs in 63s) are VIN synched to your vehicle.

Reason I ask is b/c I likely won't keep this car beyond 3-4 yrs, but (as with other major "hardware" mods) I would like to be able to get some value back for the ECU/TCU tune when I sell. That would obviously be a LOT easier if I can (a) tell the buyer that MHP will continue to warranty and provide customer service for the ECU/TCU; and/or (2) swap ECUs with a stock C63 owner w/out issue. Otherwise, it's $4500 that I may never see again...

Thanks.
Your best bet is to sell the car with the tuning. After a test drive I don't think a perspective buyer will ever want to go back to stock. Our refinement and drivability are so polished that we're now selling our tuning via a large MB Dealership locally. We tuned the GM's 2005 Murceiaglo and after one drive in the C63 it was a done deal.
Again though we have the next owner covered as far as customer service, etc. go.
Finally, jump in on the GP. $3990 for 3 more C63 owners, before pricing goes back up to $4500 for both ECU/TCU tuning.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Ape

2004 TL; 2004 S2000; 2009 C63; 2009 ML350
Originally Posted by MHP

Our refinement and drivability are so polished that we're now selling our tuning via a large MB Dealership locally.
Andy,

How is the warranty issue worked with this MB dealer? Is it a "wink and nod" where it is understood that the ECU is reflashed back to stock in the rare case that MBUSA/Germany ask for the dealer to send it to them; or is there a more formal agreement where the customer does not have to worry about any warranty claims due to the ECU/TCU tune?
If you are at the point where it is a true dealer/MBUSA blessed and installed option then you have a huge win on your hands that places the tune in a whole different light for those that may be concerned with the potential voiding of the warranty!!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:12 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Ape
Andy,

How is the warranty issue worked with this MB dealer? Is it a "wink and nod" where it is understood that the ECU is reflashed back to stock in the rare case that MBUSA/Germany ask for the dealer to send it to them; or is there a more formal agreement where the customer does not have to worry about any warranty claims due to the ECU/TCU tune?
If you are at the point where it is a true dealer/MBUSA blessed and installed option then you have a huge win on your hands that places the tune in a whole different light for those that may be concerned with the potential voiding of the warranty!!
The warranty is supplied directly from the dealership in question, not via MBUSA. It's the same warranty as supplied by MBUSA (can even buy an extended version) but done via the dealer.
We can also flash your ECU/TCU back to stock in case someone overseas wants to view it, as can the dealer so no worries. In such a case (dealer flashing over our tune) we reflash you for free.
MBUSA does not warranty Renntech/Brabus, etc. either they are covered on a dealer per dealer basis as well. I highly doubt any tuner will ever get the MBUSA blessing.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:14 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Ape,
Not sure what you have going on Wed but I can meet you halfway between the Bus and the Nati and you can beat the snot out of my car for as long as you want. I'm dead serious when I say all it takes is one drive to understand what we can do to a car via complete driveline tuning.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Ape

2004 TL; 2004 S2000; 2009 C63; 2009 ML350
Originally Posted by MHP
Ape,
Not sure what you have going on Wed but I can meet you halfway between the Bus and the Nati and you can beat the snot out of my car for as long as you want. I'm dead serious when I say all it takes is one drive to understand what we can do to a car via complete driveline tuning.
Andy,

I am booked pretty much the next 2 weeks with clients, but do have some vacation time I need to burn, maybe I can find a day the week of the 15th that works for both of us meet up so I can play with your tuned toy.
I will see if I can get something to work and PM you. I would love to hit it before you get the exhaust and pulley on there as I would most likely do just the ECU/TCU package and maybe the 180 thermostat.

Last edited by Ape; 12-02-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:59 PM

2007 Inifiniti G35
Is there a south florida location I can take the car to, to have them remove the ecu and send out?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:10 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Ape
Andy,

I am booked pretty much the next 2 weeks with clients, but do have some vacation time I need to burn, maybe I can find a day the week of the 15th that works for both of us meet up so I can play with your tuned toy.
I will see if I can get something to work and PM you. I would love to hit it before you get the exhaust and pulley on there as I would most likely do just the ECU/TCU package and maybe the 180 thermostat.
Sounds good, the sooner the better as the exhaust fab is coming along nicely.

Thanks!
Andy
Old 12-02-2008, 03:11 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by reelgr
Is there a south florida location I can take the car to, to have them remove the ecu and send out?
I can literally walk you through it over the phone in less than 5 minutes. After that it's a 2-3 minute job tops. Save yourself the time and $, it's cake I promise.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-02-2008, 03:11 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
You know what would be hilarious...

Take your car to Renntech (S.FL) and have them rip and ship the ECU to us.