Downshift throttle blip. WOW!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Originally Posted by GMW
You guys are getting me all excited again about the exhaust noise...and probably gonna drive me off the deep end as I wait in nail biting anticipation.

I know I'm pushing my luck... (mental-health-wise)........ but, how loud does it sound from inside the car with all windows closed? and the same but with the sunroof tilted up? How about compared to a CLS55 or SL55? As those last two are the closest I've driven and I thought the CLS55 (I really loved the sound) seemed louder than the SL55

There was also the issue/rumour? of the first batch of like 1000 SL55s being louder than the later batches? Hopefully this is not the case witrh the C63.
You sound like you are cut from the same cloth as me, i had all the questions like yours that NEEDED to be answered. In no way am I exagerating, but one of my friends had a CLS55 and sold it and now drives a 2007 SL55 and he commented on how much louder and deeper this car sounds, actually he was amazed, and as Fishtainz states, this car was one of the loudest 63 motored cars. One of the AMG representatives who came from Affelterbac(AMG Headquarters) said this loudness is a result of the much shorter wheelbase of this car compared to the other 63 cars, less distance traveled from engine(headers) to tailpipes, much shorter than say a CLS63 or S63 etc. As far as inside the car, it is not loud as you are cruising, but if you dip into the throttle it becomes much louder, but still not obtrusive, actually exotic. With the roof popped up it is even more apparent that you are driving a german super saloon, not some 6.1 litre dodge engine. This engine sound mixed with the gear/tranny whine is intoxicating, this sound is very distinctive. Comparing a new corvette at full throttle, it gets drowned out by the C63. I cant wait till you get your car, I was in your shoes a while back and I asked and wondered the same things, i lived through the current owners experience. I am amazed by the owners of these cars that they all share the same sentiments as myself, and no one is over hyping this car enough. BTW, all the videos on this car still doesnt compare to when you crush that throttle, even better, having someone you trust to drive this car as you are outside will blow your mind.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Its definitely louder than my E55. Even at full throttle. But only when you're stomping it, at constant cruise, from the inside, its rather quiet. I think its perfect as a constant exhaust sound would get annoying. Infact the loudest noise while cruising is the tire roar.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a new toy.
Originally Posted by GMW
........ but, how loud does it sound from inside the car with all windows closed?...
FWIW, here's a short vid I filmed from the back seat of a C63 at the Dallas event - instructor driving at full song for two laps around Dallas Motorsports Park. Vid does NOT do the car justice re exhaust sound

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8yoVwmBNigg

Originally Posted by 1st amg
...Comparing a new corvette at full throttle, it gets drowned out by the C63...
I recently test drove a new 2009 C6 Vette, and while it definitely can scoot, it sounded downright TAME compared to the C63

Last edited by FishtailnZ; 12-11-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Originally Posted by GMW
It really is quite hard waiting for a car like this. I just had a nightmare last night about it. In this 'nightmare' I had received the car and was at home showing it to friends and family but the exhaust was almost completely inaudible. I almost had to have everyone quiet down to barely hear it. I was even more shocked that even when accelerating the exhaust was soo quiet...like a V12 at idle! I hated the car. I guess this sort of goes to show how much the exhaust sound is an integral part of this car and big part of the reason for my purchase. Me thinks I am slowly going crazy
That is so funny! You are not crazy. I have had one of these sorts of dreams also. Mine was that someone else drove my car and wrecked it. I guess that is my biggest fear! I woke up from that one and said NO ONE ELSE IS DRIVING MY C63.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:49 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
You sound like you are cut from the same cloth as me, i had all the questions like yours that NEEDED to be answered. In no way am I exagerating, but one of my friends had a CLS55 and sold it and now drives a 2007 SL55 and he commented on how much louder and deeper this car sounds, actually he was amazed, and as Fishtainz states, this car was one of the loudest 63 motored cars. One of the AMG representatives who came from Affelterbac(AMG Headquarters) said this loudness is a result of the much shorter wheelbase of this car compared to the other 63 cars, less distance traveled from engine(headers) to tailpipes, much shorter than say a CLS63 or S63 etc. As far as inside the car, it is not loud as you are cruising, but if you dip into the throttle it becomes much louder, but still not obtrusive, actually exotic. With the roof popped up it is even more apparent that you are driving a german super saloon, not some 6.1 litre dodge engine. This engine sound mixed with the gear/tranny whine is intoxicating, this sound is very distinctive. Comparing a new corvette at full throttle, it gets drowned out by the C63. I cant wait till you get your car, I was in your shoes a while back and I asked and wondered the same things, i lived through the current owners experience. I am amazed by the owners of these cars that they all share the same sentiments as myself, and no one is over hyping this car enough. BTW, all the videos on this car still doesnt compare to when you crush that throttle, even better, having someone you trust to drive this car as you are outside will blow your mind.
Its consoling to hear from people who think on the same wavelength. It all makes sense that it has the shorter wheelbase hence the louder sound. I just need to hear it live now!!!

Funny how you mention the 6.1 litre Hemi engine. A year ago I was thinking of either a Jeep SRT8 or 300C SRT8 or Dodge Challenger SRT8 just for some sort of 'performance car' with a great sounding, V8 powered, exhaust. Then a few things went my way and now I'm eagerly awaiting a C63!! From the internet videos I've seen the SRT8 doesn't hold a candle to the C63s exhaust.

I now need to start quietly selecting a potential driver whom I can trust to drive it while I stand outside and listen!

Meanwhile the wait continues......
Old 12-12-2008, 08:16 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by FishtailnZ
FWIW, here's a short vid I filmed from the back seat of a C63 at the Dallas event - instructor driving at full song for two laps around Dallas Motorsports Park. Vid does NOT do the car justice re exhaust sound

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8yoVwmBNigg

I recently test drove a new 2009 C6 Vette, and while it definitely can scoot, it sounded downright TAME compared to the C63
Thanks for the video! You guys are helping tide me by!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:39 AM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
This thread's got legs ; )

Back to the first, but only slightly skewed point off of the original post was the cold start-up bark/blip. I now find myself disappointed everytime I start the car when it's warmed up...no good bark.

That said, I'm sure Andy could program this thing to always give that raspy growl at start up. Hell, maybe he could even make it meaner. Question though, would this cause any harm? I'm guess it's just timing and fuel mixture, so it could be a bit rich, but if it was only a little rich for the first 5 seconds, I'm thinking there would be no harm.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:54 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by clktoc63

Back to the first, but only slightly skewed point off of the original post was the cold start-up bark/blip. I now find myself disappointed everytime I start the car when it's warmed up...no good bark.

That said, I'm sure Andy could program this thing to always give that raspy growl at start up. Hell, maybe he could even make it meaner. Question though, would this cause any harm? I'm guess it's just timing and fuel mixture, so it could be a bit rich, but if it was only a little rich for the first 5 seconds, I'm thinking there would be no harm.

Any thoughts?
Great idea--if no harm to the engine, I suggest perhaps even the 1st 30 seconds...
Old 12-15-2008, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
Hah, you guys need to hear it without the resonator...I'll see if i can post a video up
Old 12-15-2008, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by clktoc63

Any thoughts?
OMFG, the engine start at cold is just the most insane, raw, and frightening sound I've heard in a stock engine.

The sound doesn't just scare off small dogs, it has an amazing effect on P***y(cats) too!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by GMW
I now need to start quietly selecting a potential driver whom I can trust to drive it while I stand outside and listen!

Hey GMW, you're in the Vancouver area, right? No need to find someone else to drive your car. Just come join our meets and you'll see and hear plenty of other C63s!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its come the point where my wife panics when I decide to take the car out when our 12 month old son is sleeping, she is convinced this wakes him up...and our home is not so small, apparently is shakes the foundation
Old 12-17-2008, 04:06 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Hey GMW, you're in the Vancouver area, right? No need to find someone else to drive your car. Just come join our meets and you'll see and hear plenty of other C63s!
Nope, but if I'm there, I'll let you guys know.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:28 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Its come the point where my wife panics when I decide to take the car out when our 12 month old son is sleeping, she is convinced this wakes him up...and our home is not so small, apparently is shakes the foundation
Funnily enough, I was thinking about a similar scenario. Our 2 year old daughter is always asleep when I leave home in the wee hours of the morning and our cars are parked parallel to the front bedroom window and one level down (as the house is built on the side of a hill). I've been wondering whether to park also parallel with the exhaust facing off to the open grass compound and the car facing the gate, so that I don't wake up the little one or my wife. Somehow this looks like it might become an issue....

On the plus side, the car should arrive mid-end of Jan! (fingers, toes etc crossed )
Old 12-18-2008, 06:38 PM

09 C63 steel grey
Unless you're purposefully revving the engine, or there is nothing (no wall or no window) between you and the car, turning the car on and slowly driving away is not that loud. While the start up exhaust sound is awesome, the beast only truly awakens when you summon it with the gas pedal. imho

another thought - the predominant tones at idle (at lest to my ears) is bass - which has tended to be more soothing than annoying to my kids. Bass vs treble in general that is.

Last edited by tyanger; 12-18-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:58 PM

C63
i am in love with my c63's exhaust note, its just PERFECT.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Assorted Euro Trash
It sounds great in park tapping the throttle past 4500 rpm's. The backpressure is tremendous!! I have to say though, the best Mercedes Benz throttle blip I have heard so far this year, from a driving point of view, is the 09 SL63. Re-got-dam-diculous!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by GMW
Its consoling to hear from people who think on the same wavelength. It all makes sense that it has the shorter wheelbase hence the louder sound. I just need to hear it live now!!!

Funny how you mention the 6.1 litre Hemi engine. A year ago I was thinking of either a Jeep SRT8 or 300C SRT8 or Dodge Challenger SRT8 just for some sort of 'performance car' with a great sounding, V8 powered, exhaust. Then a few things went my way and now I'm eagerly awaiting a C63!! From the internet videos I've seen the SRT8 doesn't hold a candle to the C63s exhaust.

Oh how wrong you are . The Jeep SRT8 IMHO blows away my E63's exhaust note. It is one of a kind. It is deep and it is mean. It's an intoxicating exhaust note. The best thing about it is when you are flooring it and switching gears at high rpm's it lets out this crazy deep bark between gears that just sounds so freaking awesome. I have never heard another car do this. My C6 is the worst of the three. It sounds like a UPS truck. I even have the bi mode NPP exhaust on it.

Last edited by liquiddi; 12-22-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Assorted Euro Trash
If we are going to get into exhaust notes here, it should be agains other Euro, not a Dodge or Jeep..lol. I have a good friend that took a VW R Motor and Bored it to a 3.3, built the top end and ran a straight exhaust. It is the sexiest sound I have ever heard
Old 12-23-2008, 02:58 PM

Looking for a new toy.
Originally Posted by liquiddi
Oh how wrong you are . The Jeep SRT8 IMHO blows away my E63's exhaust note. It is one of a kind. It is deep and it is mean. It's an intoxicating exhaust note. The best thing about it is when you are flooring it and switching gears at high rpm's it lets out this crazy deep bark between gears that just sounds so freaking awesome. I have never heard another car do this. My C6 is the worst of the three. It sounds like a UPS truck. I even have the bi mode NPP exhaust on it.
The C63 sounds a lot better than the E63 - deeper, louder and a lot more growling on over-run especially.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 752 Likes on 733 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by norb
So I'm getting close to 1000 miles for break in, and decided to push the C63 a little. I go into manual mode and, OK, nice, but when I downshifted, the exhaust bark was spine tingling. Totally unexpected. I had an E46 M3 and it wasn't anywhere near as cool sounding. Just thought I'd share.

edit: I had an M3 SMG with rev match downshift that didn't sound as cool as the C63. Damn.
where's the clip?
Old 12-23-2008, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The C63 sounds a lot better than the E63 - deeper, louder and a lot more growling on over-run especially.
Couldnt agree with you more, since we had first hand experience with both cars on a track, the C63 is was way louder than the E63, was much deeper as well.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:19 PM

Porsche 911 Carerra 4S
Couldnt agree with you more, since we had first hand experience with both cars on a track, the C63 is was way louder than the E63, was much deeper as well.
Nick, I am totally agree with you!!! Anyway, Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
B*stard! thanks for making this wait even longer...

Last edited by PatSC23; 12-23-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E63 AMG

Interesting! I'm not crazy about the exhaust not on the E63. Anyone know if you can fit or mod a C63 exhaust to a e63??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Downshift throttle blip. WOW!