Sponsored by:

Almost ready to unleash the beast within

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
Almost ready to unleash the beast within

I finally rolled over the 1000 mile mark today. Tomorrow morning I'm changing the engine oil and then I'm going to start exploring the potential of the car. What's the generanl concensus of the other owners on post 1000 mile break in driving.

1. After the 1000 mile point you can drive the car as hard as you want.

2. Gradually increase the level of accelleration, max rpms and max speed over the next couple thousand miles.

I'm leaning toward number one as it's been really hard to keep my right foot from pushing that pedal to the floor for the first 1000 miles, but I have followed the MB break in guidance so far and if it will help the car run better in the end I can take the gradual option if necessary.

TIA for any insight from you guys.

Mike
Old 12-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monowiper
search is your friend
Old 12-23-2008, 09:21 AM

2008 C63
Originally Posted by qship5
I finally rolled over the 1000 mile mark today. Tomorrow morning I'm changing the engine oil and then I'm going to start exploring the potential of the car. What's the generanl concensus of the other owners on post 1000 mile break in driving.

1. After the 1000 mile point you can drive the car as hard as you want.

2. Gradually increase the level of accelleration, max rpms and max speed over the next couple thousand miles.

I'm leaning toward number one as it's been really hard to keep my right foot from pushing that pedal to the floor for the first 1000 miles, but I have followed the MB break in guidance so far and if it will help the car run better in the end I can take the gradual option if necessary.

TIA for any insight from you guys.

Mike
Make sure you warm the car to normal operating temp and then enjoy the car. After 1k spirited driving is encouraged...
Old 12-23-2008, 11:27 AM

'12 CTS-V
Does MB recommend changing the oil at 1K miles, or is this more of a personal choice?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:21 PM

C63
Originally Posted by blownS
Does MB recommend changing the oil at 1K miles, or is this more of a personal choice?
MB does not change your oil at 2k miles unless you request for it, or they will change your oil at 10k miles service. The only thing they need to do is to change your LSD fluid if your c63 has pp.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:01 PM

M5, C63, 335Ci
Originally Posted by blownS
This is a personal choice to change the oil at 1000 miles. I have always changed the oil in my cars at 1000 miles as a precaution to ensure I have removed the original oil and any particles that may have been released as the engine is first run in. Even after that point, every 10K miles is too long for me. I change the oil myself so I tend to do every 5K - 7K miles

Mike
Old 12-23-2008, 02:06 PM

M5, C63, 335Ci
Originally Posted by Eurosport
search is your friend
I did search before posting this as I always do. (No point in making redundant posts. ) I found nothing that really answered my question specifically. I know MB's position is to gradually increases engine speed, road speed, etc, but I'm looking for input from those members that have had their cars for a while and can let me know if they had any issues if they started driving the car hard right after 1000 miles.

Mike

Trending Topics

Old 12-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
Originally Posted by qship5
I did search before posting this as I always do. (No point in making redundant posts. ) I found nothing that really answered my question specifically. I know MB's position is to gradually increases engine speed, road speed, etc, but I'm looking for input from those members that have had their cars for a while and can let me know if they had any issues if they started driving the car hard right after 1000 miles.

Mike
i understand what you mean, there's really no specific ONE way to go about it. if you want most power you can run it hard from the beginning, just make sure you change the oil/filter about 3 times during first 1000 miles. all manufacturer recommendations are just that their safe way out, even though they should involve an oil/filter change waaay sooner than 2k
it's a touchy subject just like people asking what oil to use, everyone will have their preference w/out any big ups or downs to prove.

enjoy the car though
Old 12-23-2008, 03:16 PM

'12 CTS-V
Originally Posted by wuyichao
The only thing they need to do is to change your LSD fluid if your c63 has pp.
Can someone confirm this? Just talked to my SA, who told me that diff fluid should be changed at 2K per the manual whether u have PP or not.