C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Is TCU tuning a myth?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Without giving away any of your trade secrets, what does the TCU tune do? does it let the car rev higher? Hang longer in gear when your off the throttle? Does it let the car work more of the RPM band when driving at mid throttle rather than just shifting into higher gears? and lastly, Can you adjust kick down points? like 7th gear to 4th or some kind of combo like that?
Old 12-24-2008, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55 AMG
do you know if black series models have different tcu and ecu tune? can that tune be loaded into non black series cars?
Old 12-25-2008, 01:20 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG ME
Hey Andy,

I understand that you can increase the shift time of the 63 but what about the shift response time? I noticed when I drove the C63 in M mode there was a significant delay from the time I pulled the paddle to the time the car actually shifted. Just like the shift lag found in the earlier version of the M-DCT transmission on the E92 M3. The actual shift speed is already great stock but i would like to have near instantaneous shift response times.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!
Yes we can remove most of the delay in the paddle shifters, the 1-2 comes up more quickly with our tuning though so it's still tough to hit. The thing is, a 7A is a true automatic trans, so leaving it in sport and letting it shift itself is your best bet.

Thanks!
Andy
Old 12-25-2008, 01:21 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ExtremeSpeed5
do you know if black series models have different tcu and ecu tune? can that tune be loaded into non black series cars?
We're actually doing our first SLK55 BS next week (ECU arrived today). Yes it's a somewhat hotter cal but there's still a good bit left on the table, especially as far as the TCU is concerned.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2008, 01:25 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Without giving away any of your trade secrets, what does the TCU tune do? does it let the car rev higher? Hang longer in gear when your off the throttle? Does it let the car work more of the RPM band when driving at mid throttle rather than just shifting into higher gears? and lastly, Can you adjust kick down points? like 7th gear to 4th or some kind of combo like that?
Check out my first post in this thread for some of the things we tweak via TCU tuning. The easiest way to explain it is ECU tuning is to engines what TCU tuning is to trannys. It can completely transform the drivability characteristics of the vehicle, even more so than ECU tuning actually.
Our basic goals with TCU tuning are to increase WOT shift quickness, sharpen throttle response, eliminate tq management (TCU based not just ECU), increase stall speed, and quicken downshifts (you don't have to floor it to get a kickdown). Aside from that part throttle drivability is further refined (quicker yet smoother shifts).